• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's always fun when you look for something and there's only one listing on eBay and it has an insane BIN and that's the only listing you see for months with a seller hoping it stays that way and they find someone with more money than brains and patience.

Makes you wonder how often they actually get their asking price.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I turned off the Street Fighter episode when Shivam said Rye-oo for the 10th time. It's 2021 - you should know by now that you're comically mispronouncing the name of the main character in what you claim is your favorite game.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
5f15uw.jpg

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
That comment above is especially funny because Shivam addresses his pronunciation later in the show (around minute 34).

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I was somewhat disappointed by the Silent Hill 3 episode. They skipped Claudia entirely and the voice acting done by Donna Burke who would go on to do some amazing songs for both Ace Combat and Metal Gear Solid. And then the episode came off as more of joking about the game's quality, its developers, and what appeared to Voidburger, Bob, and the other Bob as being flaws that made the game bad or shitty. Instead of reading the game's flaws and why people might like it somewhat charitably, the people on that episode seemed more dismissive and joking rather than trying to engage with why the game is the way it is and what that tells us about the themes the game covers. The best example of this disappointment was talking about the confessional booth section were it was just dismissed as a rush job rather than trying to engage with what that particular scene meant on a narrative level. The same with how the hosts were laughing about the enemies and the use of bosses rather than trying to put the game in the context of its narrative predecessor and what that meant on a thematic level (and design-wise). The episode just came across as a long series of jokes - which is fine! But I would also appreciate some serious engagement with the text and how it came to be and how it was received.

There was also a lot of time spent on shitting on the Silent Hill fanbase and their wild theories - which I totally understand and agree with in many respects - but it just took up a lot of time to just entirely dismiss fans and what they think - again, rather than either moving on to spend time on more interesting topics or at the very least, try to understand where other people are coming from with regard to for example liking Silent Hill 3 or trying to understand the game's strengths and weaknesses.

It was just an episode that rubbed me the wrong way. Too many jokes and dismissals of various things around and in the game from its developers to the actual text that could have been approached more seriously, imo. I appreciate the work that everyone put into the episode and also the great work that voidburger and bob do with the whole Silent Hill stuff on their youtube channels, but the way this episode was handled as being an episode mostly just laughing at the game and dismissing it rather than *also* taking it seriously.

The episode also ended up on a sour note by spending 10 minutes on the incredibly shitty film adaptation. Instead of talking about Silent Hill 3's legacy, what it meant for the series, the team who made it, the survival horror genre, representation of women in games, and so on. Just stuff that could be so much more stimulating and insightful to listen to. Just something a bit more interesting than "haha look at this dumb 3D film, can you believe how shitty it is?"

Anyway, I know it doesn't really matter and my opinion is worth nothing, just figured I'd share how I wish things could've been improved. I don't just listen and support Retronauts because of their amazing humor and jokes, but also because of the trivia, knowledge, research, and insight I get about certain games. This one felt too much like more of a long line of jokes or dismissals of a game, imo.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Just listened to the Aliens episode today. Goddamn, how did I never hear that amazing end credits song from Aliens Infestation before. In fact, I had never even heard of the game itself before.

This is INCREDIBLE. It's like, what if Metallica REALY liked Aliens.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Just listened to the Aliens episode today. Goddamn, how did I never hear that amazing end credits song from Aliens Infestation before. In fact, I had never even heard of the game itself before.

This is INCREDIBLE. It's like, what if Metallica REALY liked Aliens.

Holy cow, when I heard it on the podcast I thought that was like a joke track from Youtube or something. I love that it's literally in the game, that's amazing.

TG16

Feb 15, 2019
The Retronauts Apple Podcast feed hasn't updated for the Aliens episode, yet. I want to get those Aliens! Apple, get yo shiz togethah!

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Retronauts Apple Podcast feed hasn't updated for the Aliens episode, yet. I want to get those Aliens! Apple, get yo shiz togethah!
I think the Godzilla episode was also taken down (or at least, on the Patreon feed). Luckily I was able to listen to it on the website but ya, I guess the famous Godzilla roar is strong enough to take down even podcasts!

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, file size limits. Xbox 360 had a 50mb limit originally. Microsoft wanted to make sure every game would fit on a 64mb memory card just in case there was actually someone who bought a core system and the memory card for $340 instead of the 20gb hard drive SKU for $399.

It also manifested itself in patch size limits which for a while ment 360 patches just contained the patch while PS3 patches often required you to redownload the entire game and every previous patch all over again. Oh you want to play Pain? Well we just pushed a 100mb patch out so now you have to download 6gb worth of the old stuff all over again. If you are lucky it will finish downloading and installing before the next patch comes out and the process starts anew.

Microsoft updated the limit to 150mb in 2007 shortly before the 256mb arcade SKU replaced the Core.

I don't think PSN ever had a limit.

Even without a file size limit, the Wii only had half a gig. Did Nintendo ever allow games with sizes that would require a SD card? I didn't download anything on the Wii that wasn't virtual console stuff.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Hmm, strange that Aliens isn't showing up on Apple. It's appearing on all the other platforms, e.g. Stitcher, Amazon, the Libsyn feed. I'd recommend subscribing directly to the Libsyn XML. (retronauts.libsyn.com)

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
"I don't need to do my plugs since this is a Friday episode and Scott Pilgrim is coming on Monday."

Oops. Ha ha.

Disappointed you didnt get to Oppona, the game they used only the nunchuk!

TG16

Feb 15, 2019
Hmm, strange that Aliens isn't showing up on Apple. It's appearing on all the other platforms, e.g. Stitcher, Amazon, the Libsyn feed. I'd recommend subscribing directly to the Libsyn XML. (retronauts.libsyn.com)

I did, and Apple Podcasts knew to match it up with their own feed so my listening history wasn't lost. Also, Aliens appeared, so there's that. Got my drive-time listening back.

TG16

Feb 15, 2019
I don't think I've said Reeoo out loud in my life. Shivam was awesome on that ep as usual.
Going back a bit in time, Shivam is pretty awesome. Reached out to him on Twitter about his diss of the PC Engine SFII', however, and it turns out he didn't know the PCE had a 6-button controller. It's my favorite version of CE.

Zero-Crescent

Oct 28, 2017
Ah yes, file size limits. Xbox 360 had a 50mb limit originally. Microsoft wanted to make sure every game would fit on a 64mb memory card just in case there was actually someone who bought a core system and the memory card for $340 instead of the 20gb hard drive SKU for $399.

It also manifested itself in patch size limits which for a while ment 360 patches just contained the patch while PS3 patches often required you to redownload the entire game and every previous patch all over again. Oh you want to play Pain? Well we just pushed a 100mb patch out so now you have to download 6gb worth of the old stuff all over again. If you are lucky it will finish downloading and installing before the next patch comes out and the process starts anew.

Microsoft updated the limit to 150mb in 2007 shortly before the 256mb arcade SKU replaced the Core.

I don't think PSN ever had a limit.

Even without a file size limit, the Wii only had half a gig. Did Nintendo ever allow games with sizes that would require a SD card? I didn't download anything on the Wii that wasn't virtual console stuff.
Nintendo never raised their file size limit, a constant source of pain for Wiiware devs. Super Meat Boy was originally slated to launch on Wiiware, but the limit made it impossible, it also prevented the Sonic CD remaster from appearing (since Sega would've needed to compress the CD audio too much), and the La-Mulana remake had to get around it by making the bonus challenge levels into DLC. The only game that really got around the restrictions was Dragon Quest X Online, which included a 16GB USB Flash Drive with physical copies of the game for install data and DLC; when the Wii version stopped in 2017, the data from the install and DLCs totaled around 14GB.

DSiWare was even more restrictive at 20MB due to the 256MB built-in storage (the only DSiWare games that exceeded it were Warioware Touched and the AW: Days of Ruin Japan Club Nintendo bonus, both of which were only playable on the 3DS despite showing up as DSiWare applications). 3DS had no artificial limit (Technically, FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit), since Nintendo finally started to allow direct loading from SD cards (Wii and DSi would copy the game to internal memory before loading).

Last edited:

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
SNES Works and Virtual Boy Works are finally finished and going on sale next week:

limitedrungames.com

Super NES Works Vol. I Collector's Edition (Book)

Following the worldwide success of the Nintendo Entertainment System and the home video game industry’s overall shift toward a new generation of more powerful hardware, a successor to the NES seemed inevitable. In August 1991, Nintendo brought that successor—the Super Nintendo Entertainment...
limitedrungames.com

Virtual Boy Works Collector's Edition (Book)

After Nintendo achieved world-shaking success with its Game Boy handheld system, a next-generation follow-up seemed inevitable. Yet few could have predicted the form it would take—or how poorly it would fare with critics and consumers alike. That device, Virtual Boy, stands as a rare black mark...
limitedrungames.com

Virtual Boy Works Hardcover Book

After Nintendo achieved world-shaking success with its Game Boy handheld system, a next-generation follow-up seemed inevitable. Yet few could have predicted the form it would take—or how poorly it would fare with critics and consumers alike. That device, Virtual Boy, stands as a rare black mark...
limitedrungames.com

Super NES Works Vol. I Hardcover Book

Following the worldwide success of the Nintendo Entertainment System and the home video game industry’s overall shift toward a new generation of more powerful hardware, a successor to the NES seemed inevitable. In August 1991, Nintendo brought that successor—the Super Nintendo Entertainment...

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Happy to have never played Battletoads as a child. I probably would have gone mad. Ghosts and Goblins is probably the most difficult game I completed as a youngster but Battletoads sounds like a whole 'nother level of cynical bullshit.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I started playing NEO TWEWY recently and I'm sorely disappointed to find that there hasn't been an episode for the first game yet 😞 I would've thought that would be an easy one for the hosts.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember that 1up Yours episode where Garnett called it the suh-ness and everyone else on the podcast went "wait, what the hell did you just say?".

I got a SNES christmas 93 I want to say. My aunts boyfriend asked me what Super Nintendo game I wanted for Christmas and I said we didn't have a Super Nintendo and he though that was a crime against children and got me us one with Super Mario World and Super Star Wars for Christmas. I've put thousands of hours into those games. I can still beat Super Star Wars on Jedi mode. Need some luck with the Mos Eisley Bar though with either lots of health swords, favorable boss movements or ideally both because that boss is cheap bullshit.

My parents were very much "I'm never buying a video game system, it's a waste of money". That changed a bit after we got the SNES. My stepdad was a bartender and would get home at like 2am every night and would sometimes try to play something to wind down after work. One day he asked me "where's that Sim City game?" He had never really paid attention to what games we did and didn't have before so I had to tell him "we don't own that one, I only rented it and it was due back yesterday." he then asks "how much is it to buy?" and I tell him there was a cart only used for like $30 or $40 I forget. He then reaches into his pocket, hands me 3 $20's and says "go buy it right now".

He played that game almost daily for the rest of his life. He would fall asleep on the couch sometimes while playing and I would wake up saturday mornings at like 6am to do my paper route before anyone else was up and and the game was usually running and I would save for him in. Top level players don't have any fire stations(other than the headquarters) because it's cheaper to just bulldoze buildings that are on fire and clear all the rubble not allowing the fire to spread and it will just go out on it's own. Fire stations are a waste of land and tax money. So often what would happen while he was rip van winkleing is a plane would crash and since he had no fire stations, half his city would burn to the ground. The fire was only contained by rivers. When I'd get back from doing my paper route he'd often be up and would ask "you turned my game off, did you save it?" and I'd have to tell him "a plane crashed 10 years earlier and burned half your city to the ground so no I didn't".

I was never able to get a megalopolis back then. I would always do what the game told me and space out my industrial and put lots of parkland around it to deal with the pollution. Problem is, you will never have enough jobs for everyone doing that and even if you use the money cheat and map 61 with the least amount of water, you will struggle to even hit 400k.

As an adult after rebuying all my SNES games, I read of a strategy of not doing the 9 square grids with presents in the middle because it creates wasted space with unnecessary rail lines. You only need 2 squares of rail or road connected to a zone for it to be viable so if you just do straight vertical or straight horizontal rail the whole map with 2 zone wise zone placements, you can place a ton more zones on the map. I tried this strategy and still ended up capped at just under 400k despite having like 100 more zones at least and all of them were empty. I got frustrated and said "screw it" and started packing in the industrial zones like sardines. I started getting the pollution warning twice a year at least which was annoying as hell but my population started skyrocketing and I was over 500k in no time and had it over 600k when I was all done. Getting berated by Will Wright for polluting my citizens the whole time.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My new goal in life is to be excited about anything as much as Shivam is about Street Fighter II. I will likely be unsuccessful in such an endeavor.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
My favorite Enthusiastic Shivam anecdote is from back in the early 1UP.com days, when he had just come aboard as an intern. A whole bunch of editorial went to see Revenge of the Sith at Universal City after E3 wrapped, and once it was over we went looking for a cab stand to get a ride back to our hotel. Shivam confidently took the lead of the group, the rest of us trailing along behind him, while he waxed rhapsodic about Suikoden II the entire time. After about five minutes of walking with no cabs in sight, we finally stopped and asked, "Where are you taking us? Where are the cabs?" He looked confused and said, "What cabs?" He had no idea we were following his lead, he just wanted to talk about how much he loved Suikoden II.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
My favorite Enthusiastic Shivam anecdote is from back in the early 1UP.com days, when he had just come aboard as an intern. A whole bunch of editorial went to see Revenge of the Sith at Universal City after E3 wrapped, and once it was over we went looking for a cab stand to get a ride back to our hotel. Shivam confidently took the lead of the group, the rest of us trailing along behind him, while he waxed rhapsodic about Suikoden II the entire time. After about five minutes of walking with no cabs in sight, we finally stopped and asked, "Where are you taking us? Where are the cabs?" He looked confused and said, "What cabs?" He had no idea we were following his lead, he just wanted to talk about how much he loved Suikoden II.
this is incredible lol

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Snez pronouncers represent!

It actually might have been the old Retronauts show or maybe 1Up Yours where I first heard the American way of saying it "es en ee es" and being baffled as to why they were saying it like that.

Also, it's predecessor is called The Nez.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
I rented multiple games all the time. In fact it was standard.

At my local Microplay you could rent 3 SNES games for 3 days for $3.99. It was only $1 more then the cost of renting one game for 3 days. You'd be stupid not too.

You don't rent FFIII, Chrono Trigger, and LTTP all at once. You do one meaty single player game, a multiplayer game to play with friends, and go nuts and try something with the third pick as recon to put in the main slot next time.

Also Blue Yoshi + cape all day every day for Tubular.

Also on the subject of Mario World, as a kid, I never knew you could manipulate the direction of the coin trail block. It only occured to me in the last 5/10 years and I want to say it was only because one of the new games required it in some level.

Last edited:

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
I've got some Canadian Garfield licensing lore for you Bob.

I don't know if you had these in Ohio, but there used to be a Canada wide ice cream vending company called Dickie Dee that sold ice cream with bikes with giant coolers on the front. Anyway the company paid for the rights to Garfield to give kids safety lessons for buying ice cream. The menu was only available curbside so kids had to be on the curb in order to buy. So on the street side Garfield said "Kids, stop! Dickie Dee will come to you". On the curb side, he said "Look both ways before you cross the street" as seen here:

9HmQsyV.jpg

(prices back then ranged from $1 to $3. This appears to be somebody current just using an old bike and doesn't have the rights to use Garfield. Rest assured I have notified the Garfield authorities!)

I did this job for a few summers during high school and one spring when they started up again Garfield was replaced with a penguin so they wouldn't have to pay for Garfield anymore and the penguin was basically Poochie in penguin form:
TvMrvQz.jpg

And they had a contest to name the penguin and one of my customers won with the name Max. They won $300 and I won a N64. Which I already had, but I sold it Immediately for $150(it was $200 CDN at the time) and bought WWF Warzone which was $115CDN at the time.

I regret nothing!

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Great Kirby episode this week.

My introduction to the series was circa '93 when my friend was forced by his mother to lend me his Game Boy (and a few games) for a whole week after I skateboarder straight into the corner of a wall and busting up my face a bit. Good times.

The DS Kirby is still my favourite of all the games, though.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Kirby's Dream Course was my first Kirby. Kirby 64 was my next one. I didn't start playing the others and buying every new one until the Wii era and I started collecting games.

The UFO in Dream Course was So OP I loved it.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Add me to the list of people who never saw the end of Kid Icarus Uprising because of how uncomfortable it was to play. Just couldn't do it and I remember trying it lots of different ways to make it easier.

Also add me ot the list of pople who get SEVERE hand cramps/numbness while playing on the Switch in portable mode. I bought this shell to make it easier to hold (which make s MASSIVE difference) but I still get the occasional numbness while playing it in bed.

00.jpg

image.jpg

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Enjoyed the series dive on Kid Icarus! I've been wanting to play through the first two but I've always had trouble getting into the first game...

As someone who loves handheld gaming, I am agreeing with Ray that the controls weren't too big of a problem for me personally. I actually found the stand uncomfortable so I'd play without it. I also played a ton of Metroid Prime Hunters back in the day which basically had the same controls (though not quite trackball-like as with KIU).

Was hoping to hear less of a focus on the controls but I get why; the controls discussion really plagues KIU when it could have easily been considered a cult classic for Nintendo fans. For me, the way you hold the 3DS wasn't really ever a problem but the controls are definitely imprecise otherwise. Using spear weapons (which were basically a Sniper), you have to be really precise with that weapon and I often missed with it, so weapons with low-damage but high-spread were often the best way to get through the game.

I tried going for the 9.9 runs through some stages but it is super tough! You will die in basically one shot if you make any mistake. I really enjoyed the multiplayer too; some Quake-ass 3rd-person shooter gameplay with a focus on getting points to summon Pit/Dark Pit instead of just whoever gets the most kills. Was a lot of fun and wished the format stuck somehow with other Nintendo games.

The game is still one of the best looking on 3DS, a really good 3D anime aesthetic that isn't too plasticy looking or using cel-shaded techniques. And while there was a conveyance on how much dialogue and banter there is in the game, I think the dialogue was still understated. This is by far one of the funniest games Nintendo has ever published it. Just non-stop back & froths between the characters (especially during the rail stages and boss battles). And I was a bit surprised at how Hades wasn't brought up at all! Hades is a lovable villain; I'm really glad that the localizers managed to have their own take on Hades without just copying the Hercules Disney movie.

While I'd gladly re-buy the game on a modern console with modern controls, I'd prefer to see Sakurai do someone else. I don't care if it's a new IP or an older IP of sorts, that man is a genius when it comes to making games feel fun to play. I remember reading a quote or somesuch attributed to him in that he designs his games as a "buffet of gameplay features" and you can really feel that in all the games he's worked on since Kirby's Super Star. And somehow it's never overwhelming! He manages to his ideas across to the developers he works with in a way that makes all the games he's worked on feel real good to play.

What I'm saying is Sakurai needs to be paid bigger bucks hah. I'm sure he's doing well for himself working on Smash after Smash but man I'd just love to see him try something new.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Benj sounds like the best dad ever: Kids, you're playing video games too much. As punishment, you can now only play retro video games.

lmao

Last edited:

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I'm listening to the DQ 1 & 2 episode in the archive (I'm still three years behind) and it is blowing my mind how influential that series was on things like Pokémon and the Mother series in some pretty low-key ways.

For example, the Antoid enemies in Earthbound calling for help makes so much sense when placed in the context of Dragon Quest II and its Army Ant enemy.

Or Pokémon Gold/Silver returning you to the first game area sure feels like an homage to Dragon Quest III's big reveal now that I think about it. (In addition to the pattern with sequels in NES games as was mentioned in the episode).

I also appreciated the point at the start about Wizardry games and importing characters from the previous games being a necessity. Reminds me of how Might & Magic II will import characters from the first game but that series dropped that features as it started to break away from the Wizardry mold after that game.

(P.S you all need to cover Might & Magic and the Heroes games at some point)

Last edited:

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
caught up with the kirby ep, still really liking the energy stuart brings.
I could never get into kirby, played a bunch of them, should give it another go.
I did, however, interview the late John Kirby for my own podcast back in the day and he was under the belief that Kirby was named after him. Was funny to hear him say Twinkle Popo. Of course, they could have been flattering him since the vacuum angle seems strong.

Also props to the guest, feel like it's always rolling dice when podcasts have a patreon jump on but he really held his own and loved when he dipped into kirby lore, you could tell he was a real stan.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Manual discussion was great.

I'm not surprised the Canadian Zelda manual had less content. I looked at some of my DS manuals and man those are some chonky boys. Trackmania on the DS is almost 120 pages!

We had a mixed bag on how the french language stuff was handled.

-Sometimes we'd get something fully bilingual. Fully bilingual boxart and bilingual manual.
-Sometimes we'd get bilingual boxart and two separate manuals in the packaging. One English, one French.
-Sometimes we'd get a factory sealed US version of the game, with a french manual sitting on top, with a bilingual sleeve wrapped around the US Box and French instructions, and then that would be shrink wrapped. And not the factory seal kind with folds, the vacuum sealed kind like when you buy chicken breasts from the supermarket.