• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoyed the Castlevania ranking episode.

We're getting a 3D Castlevania ranking episode as well, right?................right?

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
You know, a few days ago I noticed that Dark Souls had its 10th anniversary. And now I'm really disappointed that the episode that me and many others have waited for is only available behind the paywall.

I understand the idea behind it, I just wanted to vent a little...

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Three are dozens of Patreon episodes at this stage. Well worth the $5 if you just wanna pay a once off to listen to them.

Pay Jeremy & his friends for their hard work, plz.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Paywall concept would kinda fall apart unless there was stuff people wanted to listen to behind it, no?

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
I get that sentiment, but this one I feel is special and has been anticipated by the gang and the fans a lot.

MangoUltz

"This guy are sick"
Mar 24, 2019
I signed up for the Patreon just during the week, I used to listen to Retronauts way back in the day and needed something new to listen to.

Remembered Nadia Oxford from AotBG saying she was on an episode recently and signed straight up. I think the Patreon is great value, it's only 4.50 euro and theres tonnes of really fun episodes on there.

Excited to work my way back through a bunch of stuff now.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Now I want to know if Bob has a flutter jump and has trouble changing directions.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I started the Skyrim episode on my lunch break, nice to hear Jeff Green on there. I really liked his Branching Narratives podcast via US Gamer last year. I was hoping for more, but...yeah. RIP US Gamer.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Woah, Jeff Green was on?! I Instinctively deleted the Skyrim episode as it downloaded on my phone as I care not for Skyrim. I might have to listen to it now just for Jeff. Damn, I still miss GFW Radio. Literally the show that got me into podcasts.

Has Shawn Elliot or Robert Ashley ever been on a Retronauts episode? Are they even in the industry any more? Would love to hear their voices again. Jeremy, Bob, get on it!

Last edited:

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I've been a Retronauts Patron non-stop since December 2014 and a Kickstarter backer before that.
I always assumed that once I put the Patron RSS into my podcast app (Pocketcasts) the patron episodes would show up.

I have the Patron feed on my pocketcasts but based on posts here it sounded like I was missing episodes. I looked at the non-Patron feed and saw a ton more episodes, but the missing ones were mainly "preview" episodes. I decided to listen to a few of those and noticed they were teasers for full episodes available to Patrons...but somehow not available to me.

I went to check my Patreon to make sure I was contributing and I was (and am), but my feed on the Patreon website still shows all of the $5 tier posts locked.

I clicked on the help button on Patreon and it was a dead link.

I unsubscribed from the Patreon then re-subscribed. Still having the same issue.

Going through the feed with all of the blocked content, I'm realizing I've missed dozens of Patron episodes over time without realizing it...and I have no idea how to get access to them. Anyone have any ideas? This is really bumming and stressing me out. It seems so simple and obvious, but it's just not working for me.

Adding a few images to show what I'm talking about. Feel like a dumb weirdo, but not sure what else I can do.

(Can't show it here, but been a Retronauts Patron since December 2014)
0nOZS5b.png

(Here's a locked post that I can see if I join the $5 tier....but I already am and have been.)

(This is what my Patreon Feed looks like. Notice all the missing episodes.)

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I'm curious if you picked the $3 (early access) tier instead of the $5 (exclusive episodes) tier when you subscribed, even though you're paying $6/month. That's my only guess.

I thought something weird like that could be happening. I ended up cancelling the $6 a month and clicked on the $5/month tier today hoping that'd fix it...but it hasn't seemed to help anything. Just $1 less a month to the podcast? I'll wait until the next billing period to see if it solves it. I want to keep supporting the podcast.

...though in the past I also didn't get higher tier rewards when I was doing $20/25 or whatever it was a month lol.
I've just had a lot of bad luck on the subscriber-side of things, but the podcast itself is as good as ever. So it's a real bummer knowing I'm missing out on content.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
What do you see in "Your benefits" under "My membership"?

You should see your own personal patron RSS feed, A link to access all the posts that tier qualifies to see, The ability to direct message the Retronauts patreon account, and a link to the Retronauts discord.

bobservo

Oct 28, 2017
Good Time Island
We can't do tech support for Patreon but I believe it's possible to say, give $5 a month independently of actually signing up for the $5 tier. Also, for any RSS feed problems, usually the "turn it off and on again" technique works if you unsubscribe and resubscribe with your podcast app.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Question about the annual payment plan for the membership... Do the hosts effectively get less money if I switch from monthly to annual or does the savings come out of the Patreon service rake? I tried to find an answer in Patreon's knowledge base but it didn't have any information about this.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I can't imagine Patreon willingly takes the hit for us. Not with VCs and dreams of an IPO involved.

Edit: Which isn't to say you shouldn't save yourself some money and do the annual thing! No complaints here. I'm just lamenting the way a platform designed to help creatives navigate the predations of capitalism was inevitably spoiled by predatory capitalism.

Last edited:

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I can't imagine Patreon willingly takes the hit for us. Not with VCs and dreams of an IPO involved.

Edit: Which isn't to say you shouldn't save yourself some money and do the annual thing! No complaints here. I'm just lamenting the way a platform designed to help creatives navigate the predations of capitalism was inevitably spoiled by predatory capitalism.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at my subs last night and trying to figure out use cases where the annual subscription would make sense and wanted to confirm if switching meant the creatives received less money in the end.

bobservo

Oct 28, 2017
Good Time Island
We get 10% less for every annual subscription (an amount we decided on), but we get all of that money up front. So honestly we lose a negligible amount of money in exchange for an immediate full year of support. We wouldn't have turned them on if they could hurt us in some way.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoyed the Metal Gear Solid 2 epsiode immensely.

Having only ever played MGS1 (& later Twin Snakes) then skipping to MGS4 & MGSV (no PS2/Xbox growing up), I had no idea the plot and themes of MGS2 were so batshit insane. The game sounds wild in the greatest possible way. No wonder I barely had a clue what the fuck was going on when I played MGS4.

RE: The Xbox Launch & Legacy episode. Similar to Stu, I didn't know ANYONE who had an Xbox back in the day. I played Halo for the first time on PC. Everyone and their mother had a PS2 and a few of my friends had a GameCube since we all had N64's before that, but there was nary an Xbox to be seen in my little town. The brand didn't seem to catch on, here in Ireland at least, until the Xbox 360.
I only picked one up myself a couple of years ago and have amassed a collection of about 70-odd games since then. It's very cheap and easy to collect for, thankfully, which is something I can't say for the Gamecube.

Last edited:

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
We can't do tech support for Patreon but I believe it's possible to say, give $5 a month independently of actually signing up for the $5 tier. Also, for any RSS feed problems, usually the "turn it off and on again" technique works if you unsubscribe and resubscribe with your podcast app.

Nothing I tried seemed to work back when I posted this.

But suddenly a few days ago all of those missing episodes showed up for me!
Some really great episodes in there and really glad to have access to them.

Thanks guys <3

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading about the websites that popped up to create communities around the virtual LAN's to play Halo, Gran Turismo 3 etc online before those series or the consoles themselves offered online play and being insanely jealous. Never had an online console or internet in my house for that matter until I was stealing unprotected wifi from a neighbor when I got my PS3 in 2007.

Speaking about how those were not supported, Ad Hoc Party for the PSP was basically the same thing and Sony officially supported that and it was used by tons of people to play Monster Hunter online.

I got a chance to try one of those head mounted 3D TV's at a Sony event in I want to say 2010. They were doing a hard push on 3D and had a few of those headsets showing off Motorstorm Apocalypse. They also had a ton of those dorm room 3D TV's showing off the full screen split screen in MLB The Show. That was a cool implementation, but having glasses with batteries that needed to be charged was not worth it. I used to have a Sony 3D tv that required those glasses and I never bothered with them after watching maybe 3 3D movies.

Those TV's are 10 years old now. Time to do a Retronauts on Sony's big 3D push. You can start with the Master System glasses and end with the 3DS.

Last edited:

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Finally subbed on patreon, cannot wait to check out all the shows I've been missing out on. Dark Souls and MGS2 are big ones for me.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That Halo episode was fantastic. There was great chemistry between the three. The history and detail it went through was great John Linneman should definetly appear more often.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've never played much of Radiant Historia because the first hour or two were verbose to the point of turning me off from the game. But I just wanted to chime in to say that I had a blast listening to the episode, a lot laughs with good guests and great hosting from Nadia!

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
I've literally never heard of the two most recent games covered; Golgo 13 & Radiant Historia. lol. Am I out of touch? Maybe 10+ years out of touch? Probably.

And Stuart on twitter is threatening to host another episode about some little-known British series.

Could be three in a row.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
JeremyParish

Just wanted to say that the Radiant Historia episode was one of the best I've ever heard in the show's long history. I love Radiant History to begin with, and the banter throughout this episode was funny and entertaining for its entire runtime. I was laughing out loud on several occasions. The German guy (sorry, I didn't catch his name) was especially fun to listen to.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
JeremyParish

Just wanted to say that the Radiant Historia episode was one of the best I've ever heard in the show's long history. I love Radiant History to begin with, and the banter throughout this episode was funny and entertaining for its entire runtime. I was laughing out loud on several occasions. The German guy (sorry, I didn't catch his name) was especially fun to listen to.
I can't help myself, but this needs to be said: the Patreon guest was ... eccentric and annoyingly talkative, to be polite. And not German, I guess Spanish, considering his name.

I mean, it's fine that he paid to be on the podcast, but he didn't need to talk for like 75% of the time. I can live with his accent and the attempts at humor, but people come to the podcast for Nadia, Jeremy and the gang, and this was the one opportunity to hear their opinions on Radiant Historia as well.

When I noticed that even after skipping minutes at a time, the guy was still going on, spoiling large parts of the game with maybe a few seconds notice, I turned it of. Jeremy in particular basically disappeared in the second half, and I'm sure I can't be the only one to notice that.

So yeah, that's my feedback. The SF2 episode was great, though, and I will become a Patreon next year.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Got it for the same reason. I kinda like the new artwork more, too. The previous has a kinda distractingly "ds" vibe that's hard to explain.

Also I liked that dude. He was funny in how he seemed wearied by his own topic at times. I liked when he joked that children are the most powerful JRPG protags. Wouldn't mind hearing him again, honestly.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this thread, wanted to jump in real quick. I am very new to Retronauts, I only started listening just last summer. I needed to find a new pod to jump into after the Giantbomb departures and after some research was led to Retronauts.

I have absolutely been loving it. A really great group - Bob, Jeremy (and Ray when he's on) feel like "old friends" which is just the vibe I was looking for. Bob has an infectious love for Nintendo which I can really relate to and Jeremy's near encyclopedic knowledge of old games is a real treat to listen to. Also a big fan of EGM back in the day so it's cool seeing Shane pop up on a few episodes!

I started with the first episode (of Volume 3, I guess you would call it - I did listen to some of the older archived stuff as well) and I'm working my way through everything. Long way to go to catch up, but it's been super enjoyable so far. Just a really great show all around.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry Bob, but 1996 was the year of "Who's the man?" "You da man!"

Henry will back me up:

youtu.be

Sid makes his way to the ring for his WWE Championship Match: Survivor Series 1996

Sid hears the roar of the MSG crowd at Survivor Series 1996.Subscribe Now - http://www.youtube.com/user/wwe?sub_confirmation=1More WWE - http://www.wwe.com/

Seriously though 2002 was sad depressed gaming for me as well. I remember playing all the way through Ratchet and Clank several times because one playthrough would kill 8 hours and help that terrible day end and get me to the next terrible day where I would do it all again.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Vita means life! Still my favourite handheld console.

I thought you were gonna wait until the NA 10 year anniversary in Feb until recording this episode so this was a pleasant surprise this morning!

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Nice. I'll savor this one. Reminds me that I'd kind of like to build a small physical library for the Vita. I have a 64gb card that's been glitched and wiped a couple times.