• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where are you stuck?

• Biome 1

Votes: 243 13.4%
  • Biome 2

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
It was never bugged, it's just a room that doesn't spawn very often. Some people have had better luck by going offline to find that glyph.

You can also save scum, create a save right before you get into the portal to B2, the biome gets generated anew when you go through the portal.
Is it the room with the giant hand in it? Because I have the glyph from this one, but I'm still stuck with one glyph missing. There was another super rare room, a circular one with a big pillar in the middle, but I also have this one.
I did the save scum everytime I went to look for that last glyph ^^ I'm getting desperate lol

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Is it the room with the giant hand in it? Because I have the glyph from this one, but I'm still stuck with one glyph missing. There was another super rare room, a circular one with a big pillar in the middle, but I also have this one.
I did the save scum everytime I went to look for that last glyph ^^ I'm getting desperate lol
Could it be the glyph that's on the side of stairs, inside the mountain?

It was my last one in Biome 2 and for some reason it took ages to appear (even though every video I've watched listed it as common).

View: https://youtu.be/H_1JvCDsIdw?t=524

(at 8:47 if the embed at specific time doesn't work)

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Could it be the glyph that's on the side of stairs, inside the mountain?

It was my last one in Biome 2 and for some reason it took ages to appear (even though every video I've watched listed it as common).

View: https://youtu.be/H_1JvCDsIdw?t=524

(at 8:47 if the embed at specific time doesn't work)

I already have this one :,(
Worst part is I already deleted my save after finishing the game when I already had only 2 glyphs missing in the crimson wastes, started the game again from scratch, and now it is only 1 glyph missing after doing the full game a second time ^^ (Replaying the game is not the problem since it's so fun to play, but still it's frustrating)

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Worst part is I already deleted my save after finishing the game when I already had only 2 glyphs missing in the crimson wastes, started the game again from scratch, and now it is only 1 glyph missing after doing the full game a second time ^^ (Replaying the game is not the problem since it's so fun to play, but still it's frustrating)
There's a glyph in Crimson Wastes that needs the upgrade that makes a platform appear it'll be across the room if you enter the top of the mountain ( I forget the name!). It took ages to spawn for me, and a couple of times I was being chased by those teleporting dickheads and died in the room before I could get to it.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
There's a glyph in Crimson Wastes that needs the upgrade that makes a platform appear it'll be across the room if you enter the top of the mountain ( I forget the name!). It took ages to spawn for me, and a couple of times I was being chased by those teleporting dickheads and died in the room before I could get to it.
Not sure which room you're talking about, is it the one where you teleport to the boss room?

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. Glyph hunting can get infuriating, Crimson Wastes being the worst offender in my experience.

But like you said: at least the game is super fun to play. And a full run can be done pretty quickly if you focus on making specific rooms popping (I wouldn't have managed without a guide to be honest).

Hopefully you'll find the missing one in your game soon!

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure which room you're talking about, is it the one where you teleport to the boss room?

There's a warp that puts you at the top of some steps outside the mountain, not the boss room (but there are mini bosses and trap rooms) - one of the apparently glitched trophies can spawn on a wall in a room on the way down there. Sorry, it's a while since I've played, hopefully somebody else can explain it better!

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing this on and off since release (I find relaxing, lol) and I've noticed some changes but not sure when exactly they happened (or if I am imagining them)

1) Rotgland Lobber arc is much more mild (making it really easy to use and pretty OP; was already my favorite)

2) Nemesis boss fight is pretty different

3) There was a room in Biome 1 that used to appear that I haven't seen in forever. Fairly complex room with multiple levels, some xenocoffins up high, lots of places to fall to your death. Maybe another room gone missing as well

4) Seems like some new weapon upgrades appeared at some point, like serrated rounds for the pistol

Does any site track these changes?

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Little tip if you just start playing or even if you want to do tower, get platinum etc. I just fuckin discovered this like last week and it blew my mind.

- When you enter a room , dont pick up instantly all the siphium you will see. If you are at full life, all siphium will turn into resin. Like this you can see then a medium or high siphium to get your full life and then take the rest to get resins upgrade. Crazy how much more life you can have with this.

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Little tip if you just start playing or even if you want to do tower, get platinum etc. I just fuckin discovered this like last week and it blew my mind.

- When you enter a room , dont pick up instantly all the siphium you will see. If you are at full life, all siphium will turn into resin. Like this you can see then a medium or high siphium to get your full life and then take the rest to get resins upgrade. Crazy how much more life you can have with this.
Yes, although why are you mentioning entering a room? If you enter a room in full health, there isn't a reason to wait on the resin.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, although why are you mentioning entering a room? If you enter a room in full health, there isn't a reason to wait on the resin.

Well, when i enter a room, if im already full life, i run toward the + icons i will see, they all will be resins , its just if your not full and you clear the room, check every siphium first, there might be one that will fill you up full and if there is more the rest turn into resins. Small and medium give 1 resin, large give two.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
So I was trying to power up my character before trying the 6th biome for the 2nd time. I was getting my ass kicked in Biome 5 and bought an astronaut figurine early on just in case...

Well I ended up fucking dying and it did NOT activate. Anyone ever have this glitch? I spend a considerable amount of time really maxing out weapons and getting all that I could in Biome 4, so this was very frustrating for me...

I watched the replay and confirmed that I had no critical malfunction that would prevent this from activating.

Don't even feel like playing now.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
So I was trying to power up my character before trying the 6th biome for the 2nd time. I was getting my ass kicked in Biome 5 and bought an astronaut figurine early on just in case...

Well I ended up fucking dying and it did NOT activate. Anyone ever have this glitch? I spend a considerable amount of time really maxing out weapons and getting all that I could in Biome 4, so this was very frustrating for me...

I watched the replay and confirmed that I had no critical malfunction that would prevent this from activating.

Don't even feel like playing now.

Strange. Your sure you didnt get a crit malfonction that destroyed it? Maybe you died and dont remember 😉.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm playing on PC and enjoying it, although I haven't found the first biome boss yet. I've been a huge fan of Housemarque's previous games, except for Matterfall :-)

I read the tips threadmark. Very helpful. Some more small questions:

Some doors are light blue on the map, some dark blue, and iirc slightly different shapes too. Does this mean anything?

Some items are behind red vines. I assume I need a later (permanent?) boost to destroy those? Same for red energy shields?

Last night I came to a smallish well lit room with small island platforms, all of which had a minor pickup. I assumed this might be the room before the boss? There was no movement in the room, nothing to be wary of afaict. I jumped on one of the islands and a second later was OHK'd by a laser from above with no warning. WTH?

TIA.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on PC and enjoying it, although I haven't found the first biome boss yet. I've been a huge fan of Housemarque's previous games, except for Matterfall :-)

I read the tips threadmark. Very helpful. Some more small questions:

Some doors are light blue on the map, some dark blue, and iirc slightly different shapes too. Does this mean anything?

Some items are behind red vines. I assume I need a later (permanent?) boost to destroy those? Same for red energy shields?

Last night I came to a smallish well lit room with small island platforms, all of which had a minor pickup. I assumed this might be the room before the boss? There was no movement in the room, nothing to be wary of afaict. I jumped on one of the islands and a second later was OHK'd by a laser from above with no warning. WTH?

TIA.
I believe there's a key on the map screen for symbols, but Square is your main objective, Triangle is a side path, Yellow is a challenge room, Red is a boss room.

Things like vines you will be able to access later. If I'm remembering right, there are statues above that shoot lasers in some areas, but they give a brief warning before they fire.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

Light Blue/Rectangular doors are main biome path. They'll be hollow or filled for open and closed, respectively. Dark Blue/Triangular doors are side path, same thing for hollow/filled. Yellow doors with a star are Containment Rooms, a kind of challenge room - enter those at your own risk, it's a high risk/high reward thing. Red doors are boss rooms. Doors with a circle-ish thing over them are gates to the next Biome.

Yes.

If it's the room I'm thinking, no, that's not the room before the boss. Keep going.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Thanks for the tips. I just found the melee weapon, so that takes care of the red shields too. And I just noticed in the latest run that the map screen does denote side or main path, so that's helpful.

I've read the weapon traits are permanent and I have a couple of the sidearm's traits at 100%, but it looks like I start the run with no traits. Is that normal and I just have to wait until I find a sidearm in the world?

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised Returnal never got any physical swag IE: Selene Vassos figure, alien statue, or something (not even anything from Sony themselves).

Makes me sad and feels like the IP is already forgotten about

hartmarque

Feb 1, 2023
I'm really surprised Returnal never got any physical swag IE: Selene Vassos figure, alien statue, or something (not even anything from Sony themselves).

Makes me sad and feels like the IP is already forgotten about
Seriously. The game has such a great visual design, and the people who like the game really like it. I've seen a couple of official things, like an Astra jacket and an Astra logo t-shirt, but that's about it. I liked the official vinyl release and would love to see a deluxe edition with part two and more artwork, but that's probably not happening. Real shame, I'd buy up tons of Returnal merch. A premium Selene statue would be awesome.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I've read the weapon traits are permanent and I have a couple of the sidearm's traits at 100%, but it looks like I start the run with no traits. Is that normal and I just have to wait until I find a sidearm in the world?

That's right. The trait unlocks are indeed permanent, but as you have guessed, once unlocked you still need to find a weapon with them. Each gun has 4 trait slots, and there's a set of traits for each slot - for the Sidearm you have Homing Missile, Ricochet and Snubnose for the first slot. So you'll only ever find one of those in a single gun. At Proficiency 5 you start getting guns with 2 slots, then 15 for 3 slots and 25+ for 4 slots.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
Maybe I'm reading too much into things but the parasite mechanic got a lot darker for me after playing the tower DLC.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm really enjoying the game so far. First area down. First boss done. A couple of quick questions:

Is there much point doing the first boss again if I haven't found a new datacube to store?

In the second biome, I came across a room where a blue shield at the entrance said no dashing here, and it was a very shallow pool with two rows of red lasers swinging left to right to left. As soon as I stepped in I took damage, and didn't have enough health to mess about there any longer. Did I need something else to survive the path to the other side of the room?

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
There isn´t much point to redo the first boss so you can just skip it for now.

I think the room you are talking about with no dashing you need an upgrade for it so the floor is no longer lava.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Aarrgh.

The first time I got to the second biome boss I had a pixel of health left, and had explored everything. So that was a bust.

The second time I got to the second biome boss, I foolishly lost my astronaut a few rooms earlier... got the boss down to one pixel of his health... and died.

Hopefully third time is the charm.

EDIT: It was.

Question. There's a large teleporter near the top of the second biome, and in the second room in the third biome. They unfold and show a graphic, presumably of a destination. Then when I walk away, they fold up again. Where do they go to? I hesitate to try them, on the unlikely chance I can't get back quickly.

Last edited:

hartmarque

Feb 1, 2023
Question. There's a large teleporter near the top of the second biome, and in the second room in the third biome. They unfold and show a graphic, presumably of a destination. Then when I walk away, they fold up again. Where do they go to? I hesitate to try them, on the unlikely chance I can't get back quickly.
Those are entrances to side rooms. You'll start to find them very often, they are everywhere in the third biome especially.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
On to Biome 4 now. Still loving it. I'm slightly annoyed though that I was unable to get the Damage Siphon datacube in biome 1. At least one time when I found it, I either picked up a different datacube or died, and since then I've been back to that same room at least a couple of times and I think there's a parasite there now, no datacube. And now I can't try again until after completing the game.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Biome 4 and boss done first time. How could it not be, with Adrenaline Leech? The boss with that artifact was a piece of cake.

That artifact seems way OP compared to everything else.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Biome 4 and boss done first time. How could it not be, with Adrenaline Leech? The boss with that artifact was a piece of cake.

That artifact seems way OP compared to everything else.

Ascent to Hyperion must be one of the best sequences in the game, with the music swelling up, etc. Pure cinema.

And yes, Adrenaline Leech is stupid if you play the game "the right way".

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Biome 5 done. That was tough.

How am I supposed to get past these to collect the oblites? This is the room before the challenge room, and dash is disabled. The sides are open to run around, but too high to jump in. Does the final upgrade solve that, or is there some trick other than losing a bunch of integrity?

l2RLTnV.jpeg

This second image, it's the first room on one of the other two pathways. Going into this part of the level, the two sets of red lasers would blink on and off so it was easy to jump over the three purple lasers when the red ones were off. After getting all three keys and coming back this way, the red lasers are on all the time. Is it meant to be impassable? Because if so, that's kind of dumb. I had to backtrack half a dozen rooms to the teleporter instead of running through here to reach the hub area.

NtWg7YS.png

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
You can run into that room really fast and get one or two without being hurt, and just take the lumps to finish (or not bother). On some occasions I have slipped through the beams without getting hit but I can't replicate that.

I have never seen the second occur, sounds like a glitch. They should turn on and off.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
You can run into that room really fast and get one or two without being hurt, and just take the lumps to finish (or not bother). On some occasions I have slipped through the beams without getting hit but I can't replicate that.

I have never seen the second occur, sounds like a glitch. They should turn on and off.
I assumed the second one was a bug. The first one, I'm surprised at. Making it impossible to collect something without taking damage seems like a rare poor design choice.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I think there are 3 obilite clusters? You can get one or even two easily. The third if you blow a shield, or if you are already hurt and willing to take damage.

There may be a trick to it I don't know as well. By that point I'm usually doing very well and I if I need to coin I might take the hit, but usually I just ignore it. The challenge room in loaded with silphium, so if you don't mind the adrenaline hit or losing a shield it's not a big deal.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I think there are 3 obilite clusters? You can get one or even two easily. The third if you blow a shield, or if you are already hurt and willing to take damage.

There may be a trick to it I don't know as well. By that point I'm usually doing very well and I if I need to coin I might take the hit, but usually I just ignore it. The challenge room in loaded with silphium, so if you don't mind the adrenaline hit or losing a shield it's not a big deal.
Three clusters, yes. I just tried it right now. I can't get close to the first lasers before they are on. I run into the room, dash, then hit the "no dash" barrier, and way before I can get there the lasers are on. I tried from both sides. I can see that from each oblite you can exit by dropping out either side, so I wondered if the final upgrade allows you to enter that way.

I can skip the clusters, it's not any sort of OCD, I'm just surprised at such a poor design choice considering the game has been near flawless in that regard.

I don't like intentionally losing damage from full, since that can cost me progress to an integrity upgrade.

Another minor gripe, I used the "recycle weapon" consumable for the first time, and it changed into a parasite. GTFO, lol.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Weapon recycler is such a crapshoot. I especially hate when it gives me a calibrator when I'm at max.

I'm fairly certain I can get at least that first chunk with no issue, and the fact that I've managed to get between those beams without hurt at least once suggests to me that it can be done with positioning.

This is making me want to play again just to try.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Weapon recycler is such a crapshoot. I especially hate when it gives me a calibrator when I'm at max.

I'm fairly certain I can get at least that first chunk with no issue, and the fact that I've managed to get between those beams without hurt at least once suggests to me that it can be done with positioning.

This is making me want to play again just to try.
Btw, I'm playing on PC. I'm going to have a look on YT, see if anyone can do it...

OK what, mine looks nothing like this. In this two year old vid from PS5, the lasers come on from outer to inner slowly, and leave a gap in the middle. In mine, they all pop on at the same time almost instantly after I enter the room.

www.youtube.com

Fractured Wastes (Biome 5) - Returnal Full Narrated Walkthrough 5 of 6 [4k]

Support the Channel ❤️ http://bit.ly/sjc-yt-member-joinDonate to the Channel 💸 https://streamlabs.com/sweetjohnnycageFollow on Twitter 🐦 http://twitter.com...

Same on this PS5 vid. They have plenty of time to run through. I wonder if the lasers only work like this the very first time the room is entered, and on subsequent visits they all come at once. If so, I'm guessing that's another bug. I'll make sure to sprint in the next time I play the game, after I move on from here and likely die quickly in biome 6 :-)

www.youtube.com

RETURNAL | Complete Biomes Run Part 5 - Fractured Wastes (4K 60FPS) - No Commentary (SPOILERS)

We keep diving deeper in Act 2 of Housemarque Games' excellent roguelike, Returnal, with a full complete run of the fifth biome, the Fractured Wastes!Read th...

Last edited:

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
They definitely only come in gradually the first time you enter, and pop on immediately thereafter. Otherwise you could run for the furthest cluster, exit, run for the middle one, exit, then run for the nearest one.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Biome 6 done first time, including boss. I got to the boss with <100% integrity, no consumables, and no astronaut, but he still went down easily thanks to the electropylon. What a fantastic game. Housemarque are amazing.

Now to continue playing just for the fun of it and to collect the remaining datacubes etc., now that I have all the upgrades.

Does anyone know broadly what sort of difference it makes to have a weapon trait being level 1, 2, 3? Is it substantial? I haven't found any source with numbers.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Biome 6 done first time, including boss. I got to the boss with <100% integrity, no consumables, and no astronaut, but he still went down easily thanks to the electropylon. What a fantastic game. Housemarque are amazing.

Now to continue playing just for the fun of it and to collect the remaining datacubes etc., now that I have all the upgrades.

Does anyone know broadly what sort of difference it makes to have a weapon trait being level 1, 2, 3? Is it substantial? I haven't found any source with numbers.
Substantial.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Do the late game weapons like Coilspine and Pyroshell show up in earlier biomes after you've first used them, or are they biome 6 exclusive? I haven't played 1-3 again yet since beating it so I haven't been able to test this.

EDIT: I see they show up in 4. Do they show earlier?

Last edited:

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I've definitely had the dread bound and pyroshell caster on early biomes. I despise the Coilspine shredder and avoid it so thus not sure on yhat.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Yeah the weapons are everywhere, so that's good.

Apparently the ciphers and scout logs are quite well hidden in biome 2. I'm missing 5 ciphers and 2 scout logs despite combing every room while having all suit upgrades. I know some rooms or room variants may spawn in some runs and not others, but I doubt that's the only reason. I found everything in biome 1 without any assistance.

Just 3 datacubes left to get, one each in biomes 3, 5 and 6. All sunfaces collected.

Last edited:

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
People talk about speed runs just to get those ciphers and logs. Apparently bione 2 is the hardest.

I got them ages ago (I played obsessively when the game was new) so I don't recall it being too hard.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
People talk about speed runs just to get those ciphers and logs. Apparently bione 2 is the hardest.

I got them ages ago (I played obsessively when the game was new) so I don't recall it being too hard.
I saw a vid showing a quick 1:30 run from the end of B1 to apparently a very rare room in B2 (sprint through desert, teleport up cliff, teleport to end of canyon area), and that was helpful. They estimated a 1/25 spawn chance, and there's a cipher in there, and you need the B6 visor upgrade

I'm enjoying the game enough to keep going. I tried the Tower this afternoon, just beat the phase 2 boss.