• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where are you stuck?

• Biome 1

Votes: 243 13.4%
  • Biome 2

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Did you use a guide to track your progress? Since you knew you were missing rare rooms implies that there's a somewhat detailed guide that tells you where and how to get everything.
I need that. Currently trying to clean up trophies but don't know where to start.
No guides. After many runs i knew all of the rooms on the desert biome haha

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
You would have any tips for the crimson waste room would you? or be able to describe it? Not even sure if my games glitched or not, activity card says 99% 1 cypher to go but in game the xenoglyphs are completed (90/90). Ran this all day i stopped killing things and started using the portal to run backwards. Wondering if I'm just waiting my time on a glitch.
Repeat and repeat. If you already know the layer of many rooms you need to just run and avoid enemies, the rooms you didnt go are rare in form. You probably have all of the glyphs in the open desert area on the beginning so keep your focus on the citadel in the middle, theres were the spawn chances are low. I dont think is a bug in the game but the activity cards can be bugged

May 27, 2020
Busted my ass to get better at this game and after many hours and 38 deaths (at least 25 of which were before I actually figured out how to play properly) I finally cleared the first biome. That will sound pathetic to most people here but I feel a sense of accomplishment for sticking with it. Really enjoying it now, at least until I hit the next wall. As an aside, the daily challenge to rerun the first biome wasting mobs with the electropylon is the most fun I've had in a video game in quite a while.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Slowly going through act 3, have 4 of the shards I need now.

This part reallllly exposes how little run variety there is in this game. I love the gameplay loop but man this is really bad as a roguelike, all the runs are super samey and there is a massive balance issue between the various guns. Hollow or pylon instantly makes the game dramatically easier.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Curious to see what the update will bring. I still got 3 days of vacation left and will definitely be playing more, likely gonna try to do the platinum.

I'd be overjoyed if Housemarque triples down on this niche they've found themselves in and we get multiple games along this line and multiplayer titles too. Hopeful Sony picks them up and helps to massively expand their team so maybe they can work on more than 1 project too. I just need more of this!

Yep, I really hope this launches them into being able to support Returnal for a long time to come. DLCs, potential coop/PVP, the works. Hoping the sales are strong for Housemarque's sake.

Busted my ass to get better at this game and after many hours and 38 deaths (at least 25 of which were before I actually figured out how to play properly) I finally cleared the first biome. That will sound pathetic to most people here but I feel a sense of accomplishment for sticking with it. Really enjoying it now, at least until I hit the next wall. As an aside, the daily challenge to rerun the first biome wasting mobs with the electropylon is the most fun I've had in a video game in quite a while.

I felt the same way initially not being able to clear the first boss but when I finally did it was one of the most cathartic moments I've had in decades of gaming. The euphoria was downright intoxicating. No shame in how many tries it takes, everyone has their own path of progression. I got to the second boss today and got clobbered in the third phase but I know it's more than doable given enough persistence. Even though the time sink is quite a bit longer I kinda feel this is easier than Hades seeing as you don't have to deal with the bosses on every run once they're defeated.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
I just cleared biome 3, will I go back to biome 1 if I die? Put the game on rest mode but this update talk worries me.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
No guides. After many runs i knew all of the rooms on the desert biome haha
Ah damn. I really want the platinum but not sure I want to grind out RNG trophies without a guide to know what I'm even looking for.
The worst thing would be if I missed something in a rare room because I didn't know there was something I had to look for in there...

How did you grind biomes 2/3 and 5/6? Did you finish one biome and then reset it and moved on or did you do 1-3 / 4-6 runs and then reset again?
I'd prefer it to finish one biome at a time and then move on but that would make it way harder to progress through the later biomes if you skip directly to them...

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Biome 2, i was all set up with a astronaut and my weapons were all set to win. Even used the reconstructer. This game is so intense easily GOTY contender

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I pretty much just pick up the heath vial at the start and just run past everything, I give up for now though. I'll just wait for a patch and see what happens. Game says all translations are completed so 90/90 would be odd to have an extra glyph, some people on the returnal discord say they have 2 missing glyphs but all translations are completed.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Just checked some trophy stats and 5.5% of players beat the last boss but only 1.1% of players went back and got all sundials to get the final house sequence.
The platinum currently sits at 0.1%, Crazy. I don't think I've ever seen a platinum percentage that low. Kinda makes me want it even more because I already know I can beat everything in the game. It's just a matter of luck and perseverance...

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Ah damn. I really want the platinum but not sure I want to grind out RNG trophies without a guide to know what I'm even looking for.
The worst thing would be if I missed something in a rare room because I didn't know there was something I had to look for in there...

How did you grind biomes 2/3 and 5/6? Did you finish one biome and then reset it and moved on or did you do 1-3 / 4-6 runs and then reset again?
I'd prefer it to finish one biome at a time and then move on but that would make it way harder to progress through the later biomes if you skip directly to them...
I did 1-2-3 in one sitting. I mean i run 1, then go to 2 and then go to 3. If 1 is done i go to 2 and later 3 then reset when im at the boss door. I ended up finishing biome 3 before 2 so i had to jump a lot between rooms. 4-5-6 were straight forward at least. Go for the 3 biomes before doing the "timeskip"

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Did you use a guide to clean up your trophies? Someone mentioned grinding for rare rooms in certain biomes because they probably have a cypher in them but that implies that there's a guide that tells you what rooms to look out for. I'd really like such a guide...

Nope, apparently you rely on luck, in fact I completed Overgrown Ruins an hour ago, went to Crimson Wastes at 95% and just finished without a single new cypher so... restarted cycle and I'm going to sleep.

Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my first crash. Putting the game away until Housemarque or Sony fixes this shit.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
Got some NG+ questions

What am I supposed to do now?
This thing in the cargo bay seems to just throw me into random levels every time I use it. What is it's purpose?

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018

Well done! It doesn't really matter what other people do by comparison, as long as you are enjoying it.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I think I'm done now. For real real. Village comes out in a few days, Mass Effect next week. I just don't have it in me to keep going with a game that clearly doesn't respect my time.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I think I'm done now. For real real. Village comes out in a few days, Mass Effect next week. I just don't have it in me to keep going with a game that clearly doesn't respect my time.
Half the fun of playing Returnal is reading salty comments like this :p

I often feel frustrated after a run doesn't go my way too, but then I'm right back at it in an hour or so.

shazrobot

Oct 28, 2017
Holllllyy...biome 6.

yo the swimming dude right before you drop down the deep wrecked my shit. Holy crap, a sliver of health left. Stopped for the night right before your supposed to drop down

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
You got this, once you enter in the flow of the cycle you cant be stopped

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I had really good run, getting to the third biome boss, and I was having a lot of fun in temrs of the mechanics and I love the atmosphere and the story, but I have to say, loving everything about the game EXCEPT it's core nature as a roguelike makes this a very strange experience for me. Here are my thoughts from discord that I don't feel like retyping out

image.png

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that's a super late patch. Even European developers treat Europe like shit. :lol

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got some NG+ questions

What am I supposed to do now?
This thing in the cargo bay seems to just throw me into random levels every time I use it. What is it's purpose?
1. Even in NG+ you can't do biomes 1-6 in one go. You can do 1-3 or 4-6. The device is a time machine and lets you switch between starting in biome 1 or 4.
2. You should find a new item outside the ship. There's one of these in each biome. Find them all and... you'll see :)

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Is it normal for the first boss to be very strong first time encountering it? I managed to reach third phase but only because the first death wasn't gameover.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Half the fun of playing Returnal is reading salty comments like this :p

I often feel frustrated after a run doesn't go my way too, but then I'm right back at it in an hour or so.

I'll admit I can get easily discouraged when hitting a wall in difficult games especially Soulslikes, but this is one that just feels so good to play moment to moment that it is a lot easier to pull me back in for another attempt.

I had really good run, getting to the third biome boss, and I was having a lot of fun in temrs of the mechanics and I love the atmosphere and the story, but I have to say, loving everything about the game EXCEPT it's core nature as a roguelike makes this a very strange experience for me. Here are my thoughts from discord that I don't feel like retyping out

image.png

It is admittedly difficult adjusting to the time sink required for re-doing biomes but you definitely do not have to repeat bosses unlike something like Hades. If you're having to re-fight bosses you're encountering a very unusual and edge case bug :P

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
You can skip a lot of biome 1 and go straight to the boss and after you get to biome 2's boss you can sprint straight through it (there aren't any locked gates) so you could do a hard-mode boss run if you wanted to. Biome 3, unfortunately, does not have a shortcut to the boss.
Yea, that's what I started doing. Main drawback is that I end up with a level 1 weapon and no artefacts whatsoever so it makes the boss slightly harder but at least it's much less boring. Almost beat it with a basic carbine yesterday. Reminds me of defeating Blood Starved beast with a couple of vials because I was definitely too bored to harvest them.
Qq: once i beat the first boss, I assume I unlock an item that allows me to go to second zone. Do you have to / can you beat it again? Do you get items that are important for a 'good' run?
In other words, does a typical run through the game involve beating all bosses one after the other?

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It is admittedly difficult adjusting to the time sink required for re-doing biomes but you definitely do not have the repeat bosses unlike something like Hades. If you're having to re-fight bosses you're encountering a very unusual and edge case bug :P
Really? Okay, well, that's good. Hades is the only other rogue-like I've played, so I assumed it was standard to the genre. Thanks for letting me know, that'll cut down on having to redo the levels by a lot.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Is it normal for the first boss to be very strong first time encountering it? I managed to reach third phase but only because the first death wasn't gameover.
Yes absolutely. I imagine many many many people die to it their first encounter. I know I did.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Did about a 4 hour run tonight. Made it to biome 4, even killed the third boss on my first attempt...barely.

But yea....I cannot do sessions like this again. I love the game but yeah I was pining for death so I can just take a break. Really needs a solution beyond rest mode.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Really? Okay, well, that's good. Hades is the only other rogue-like I've played, so I assumed it was standard to the genre. Thanks for letting me know, that'll cut down on having to redo the levels by a lot.

It is standard, this game is a bit weird for the genre as it lets you entirely bypass biomes. You never have to refight a boss unless you want to.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
The boss arena always appears but you dont have to fight them. You can just go directly to the portal for the next boss.

What weapon are folks using in the 3rd biome against the flying robots. I was using the rocket launcher but they keep dodging them. These robots are always the run ender for me.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Do you get higher proficiency from killing enemies while not being hit or something?
From the tips post 'Proficiency maxes at 15 for Act 1, and unless you're skipping lots of rooms I never seem to have trouble maxing it out before the Act is done.'

I might be misunderstanding something but i feel like I never got above 5 or 6 after cleaning through the entire first biome (of what's accessible anyway)?