• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
And so far this thread is going exactly as I predicted from the last thread:

"He's right, you know." (With the associated implication that we need a strong white man to hold the office again.)
"This is a smear perpetuated by FAKE NEWS/Warren/corporate Dems!"
"Bernie's still the best - ignore this!"
Tons of attempts to add 'nuance' to a statement which is obviously false and highly misogynist.

I guess 'I believe her' only counts when Bernie's not the one doing the talking.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why is a front runner opining that a woman probably can't beat Trump a big deal? Seriously?

Idk prob because it pointlessly reinforces the general sexism that is beyond pointless considering Clinton was 70K voters separated between three states of winning against Trump while obtaining a major PV victory?

Outright decrying "a women can't beat Trump" as some matter of fact is just... sexist and it has little evidence to support it outside of repeating the same sexism that people are "attempting" to condemn.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
annnnd there it is, the infighting has started right when it the gap between biden was seriously closing. Hopefully this just disappears, but with tensions like this rising and them turning on eahchother, Biden benefits the most.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018

"He's right, you know." (With the associated implication that we need a strong white man to hold the office again.)
Tons of attempts to add 'nuance' to a statement which is obviously false and highly misogynist.

I guess 'I believe her' only counts when Bernie's not the one doing the talking.

oh ffs can you not?

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
My 2 cents: this is clickbait. I'll wait to see if Sanders campaign responds, but I have a hard time thinking he'd even "disagree" like that; seems out of character.

Deleted member 45773

Banned
Jul 10, 2018
It's amazing,
1) A WaPo article disputing this (and providing context more in line with Bernie's denial)
2) Video of Bernie saying the exact opposite 30 years ago
3) The fact that Bernie wanted Warren to run in 2016 and only ran himself because she wouldn't

But none of that counts and people are still running with, "He's an old white man, of course he's sexist".

It's no different than the people that assumed Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib were antisemitic because of their Muslim identity.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's amazing,
1) A WaPo article disputing this (and providing context more in line with Bernie's denial)
2) Video of Bernie saying the exact opposite 30 years ago
3) The fact that Bernie wanted Warren to run in 2016 and only ran himself because she wouldn't

But none of that counts and people are still running with, "He's an old white man, of course he's sexist".

It's no different than the people that assumed Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib were antisemitic because of their Muslim identity.

Wow that's a fucking stretch and a half.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Can Bernies statement please be put in the OP? If Ksweely won't do it can a mod please add it then? His direct answer to this claim is important info.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017

Bernie has been consistent in his words and deeds for years. Warren lied about Indigenous heritage for over 10 years. If it comes down to "he said, she said", I know who I trust more.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a direct link to the previous locked thread on this:

www.resetera.com

CNN: Bernie Sanders told Elizabeth Warren in private 2018 meeting that a woman can't win, Bernie denies(Update: NYT & Buzzfeed Confirming)

The description of that meeting is based on the accounts of four people: two people Warren spoke with directly soon after the encounter, and two people familiar with the meeting. I'm interested to see if Warren responds to this. A simple yes or no to "did he say this?" should be sufficient.

Epiphyte

Nov 4, 2017
Amazing how we turn from "Believe women" to "well achthually" in a hot second when political tribalism gets involved

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh really, is it? Assuming things about people because of their identity despite evidence to the contrary? Not really a stretch.

It's not assuming when there is plenty of primary sources that show people putting foots in mouths on a semi-regular basis. Comparing xenophobia to Sanders, who has said not cool shit over the last few years on various topics and actually has a general sexism problem in his campaign, is being absurdly obtuse and for an obvious purpose.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a direct link to the previous locked thread on this:

www.resetera.com

CNN: Bernie Sanders told Elizabeth Warren in private 2018 meeting that a woman can't win, Bernie denies(Update: NYT & Buzzfeed Confirming)

The description of that meeting is based on the accounts of four people: two people Warren spoke with directly soon after the encounter, and two people familiar with the meeting. I'm interested to see if Warren responds to this. A simple yes or no to "did he say this?" should be sufficient.
This would be more helpful and more visible:

Canuckreefer

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
Americans
Are really going to end up having Trump for a second term Holy fuck
What the hell is going on here why can't you be more like us Canadians more clear headed and shit

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: modwhining and conspiratorial rhetoric
Mods should just lock this thread too because most posters are ignoring this and pushing their own narrative.

sorry it doesn't appear that this conversation has reached negative critical mass for the Warren campaign yet

once it does it will be shut down "temporarily" with promptness

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
So, this was going to be posted in the last thread but I'll just post it here because similar conversations are already popping up.

It's really amazing that in the face of an old man probably saying something that was sexist enough to miff Warren to the point of telling staffers basically directly after it happened, we have folks bringing out arguments like;

1) Outright denying the validity of the event, even after saying "I'll wait for her to say it happened (and she did say it happened)
2) Saying "it was a misunderstanding" of the two parties.
3) Saying it's a smear (well yea it's politics but that doesn't mean it didn't happen)
4) Finding any excuse to try and give cover for the rather blunt statement Warren described to make his words (which he said he didn't say) not sexist in nature.
5) Question "the timing" (why say it happened now???)

Now, obviously this is politics and this isn't an assault, this is... well, sexism or diet sexism. However you want to put it.

But, it's actually really amazing how quick people are to fall back on the most common tropes of questioning a women's recollection of an event where she felt her sex is under radar when the accused is a powerful man who is "in the middle of important things", so to speak. People who label themselves as progressives so fucking quick to snap into the most used up and ground up talking points to discredit events because of favoritism.

Considering Warren found it hurtful or annoying enough to note it to other aids when the dinner happened it's pretty unlikely it's some "fake news" as a lot of posters seem to want to be labeling this as. Like, the fact she talked about this after it happened (you know kinda like how the serious shit goes down) gives credence that this wasn't just some misunderstood conversation and Sanders probably said this in a way that was hurtful to her.

Other people have talked about the obvious parallels, talking about how quick people are to dive into the usual discrediting of stuff against women isn't "coopting" MeToo, it's making comment of the fact that this shit happens a lot and with various topics/subjects and people really are quick to fall into such similar talking points when threatened.

Food for thought, if Warren leaked this about Biden nobody would be up in arms about "the timing". Nobody would give a shit if it was someone else.

Is there conversation about the sexist aspects of the American electorate and the shitty fact that women politicians in many places are dealing with a barrier to voters based around the simple fact of engraved sexism? Yea, of course. Outright spewing "women can't win" is just that, spewing the same sexist propaganda shit heads have been repeating for years. You're not being some insightful commentator on the state of politics, you're just spewing sexist defeatism because that's all you heard growing up from the same sexist people who go "I mean I wouldn't mind if a women won but there is just no way that women..."

*that women being any women who runs for POTUS at any given point in time

This can be a lot of things happening at once as well

a) Warren is slipping in the polls and either authorized this story to be leaked or a staffer had loose lips and leaked it
b) The story is true and the event pissed Warren off when it happened to where she told people it happened right after the dinner
c) Whoever leaked it intended to hurt Sanders, just like anytime you talk about damning events that... make someone not look good after they say something that hurts you.

Like so many things, the easiest outcome would be to just... say it happened and that Sanders kinda said a shitty thing, at least shitty enough to make Warren annoyed to talk about it with her closest aids. But instead of like, admitting that someone in a private dinner conversation (who is an old white dude) could have dabbled in casual sexism, everyone is grabbing a sword and saying that it's impossible?

Is Sanders a "bad person", I mean I don't even like him but I don't honestly think "less" of him in terms of being some secret misogynist, which I don't think he is. If anything this just reinforces how engraved sexism is in politics, especially in terms of the Executive Branch. I think from a general "look around" of the situation the overall conversation is strikingly parallel to other topics regarding private events between people of the opposing sex.

Please can people actually read this:

data

Oct 25, 2017
This is still a he said, she said situation over a private conversation that was basically telephoned to us through these "leaks".

Honestly, I think everyone is still just talking in circles at this point as it seems obvious whatever was truly discussed doesn't interest either party anymore and they want to move on from that.

Like others have said, the only one benefitting from the infighting is Joe Biden. Nothing good comes from arguing about a private situation when there's evidence to the contrary for some parts of it.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So my take on this is I wonder if this was in context of the US for various reasons, including sexism, won't elect a woman. That's what I would assume Bernie meant. Warren's statement doesn't really clarify that, though.

More importantly, when having a conversation with someone about them just deciding to run, I don't think saying the above is the best course of action to take. Just say congrats, let the best person win, and move on. Unless Warren specifically brought up talking about challenges, issues that would affect her chances.

Most importantly, this is a minor squabble that was better to stay buried. I'm going to bet the media spends a disproportionate amount of time on this rather than sticking to policy or the atrocities Trump commits on a weekly basis.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
This whole Corporate Dem/media conspiracy nonsense is really getting to me. Its just one candidate who knows their chances are slim making a last ditch effort to smear their closest ideological rival. That's it. That's the story.
Thank you!

Nothing else to see here, and honestly the story makes me like Warren and maybe even Sanders less. It reminds me a of petty fake wrestling feud.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's also not really subtle that so many people outright dismiss multiple reports from sources with specific second hand accounts of a conversation... and the moment one paragraph comes along that has a different take with the same style of reporting (from an "anti-Sanders rag") it's verified as solid gold.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
I have to say, I'm impressed by the willingness to use the Washington Post when it fits the narrative, and lambast it when it doesn't.

Deleted member 45773

Banned
Jul 10, 2018
It's not assuming when there is plenty of primary sources that show people putting foots in mouths on a semi-regular basis. Comparing xenophobia to Sanders, who has said not cool shit over the last few years on various topics and actually has a general sexism problem in his campaign, is being absurdly obtuse and for an obvious purpose.
What "not cool shit" has Bernie said over the last few years? And what, if any rise to "A woman can't win". And what sexist problems are going on in this campaign?

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017