• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
There will be legal challenges that delay this but the damage is done. The word is out that Biden is banning tiktok. It's all on him.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Of course the current owners are going to do and say anything to rile up their and users in their defense. If the divestment decree passes all legal challenges they will absolutely divest the US operations and business.

A few key bullet points to address some unconvincing arguments I saw in the other thread, in the hope it might convince some of the opponents of the ban that a Tik tok divest order is actually warranted for the USA:

• China's authoritarian control over TikTok and the potential national security risks outweigh any purported benefits of the app as a tool for left-wing organizing.

• China's National Intelligence Law requires organizations to "support, assist and cooperate with the state intelligence work." The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) also embeds officials within major companies to influence decisions.

• The notion that ByteDance could refuse directives from Xi Jinping's regime is naive at best.

• The Chinese government is currently carrying out a horrific genocide against Uyghur Muslims, with over a million detained in concentration camps. They cannot be trusted

• China has already demonstrated its willingness to censor and manipulate TikTok content globally, as reported by the Washington Post in 2019.

• Even if direct censorship has abated, China can use TikTok's algorithms to promote or suppress certain content, shaping the information users see without their knowledge.

• China is already using these manipulation techniques in disinformation campaigns targeting Taiwan on Twitter and YouTube, as found by a recent study from the Australian Strategic Policy Institute. These efforts were not as unsophisticated as some people in the other thread claim. And even if they were, people learn. The PRC will learn.

• ByteDance has already used TikTok to spy on journalists, demonstrating the real-world consequences

Thank you. This is great dissection of the emotionally charged replies folks are levying in response to this legislation.

Just the framing of the legislation as a "ban" is inaccurate and yet it's become the accepted nomenclature here. It's a forced divestment folks.

Literally how? Just because a post tells you something you don't want to hear doesn't make it terrible.

Replace "Chinese government" with "American government" and "Uyghur Muslims" with "Palestinians" and this sentence would still be correct.

Also, I do not trust any, especially Google and Facebook, social media platforms and if you believe that the US government is any hair better than the Chinese, then you should get your head out of your ass.

(I don't have a TikTok account nor use the app by the way)
What? No it isn't. The US isn't placing anyone in concentration plants and forcing them into slave labor. Anyone claiming China is somehow morally superior to the US in any capacity needs to spend less time ranting online and more time actually informing themselves.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
That much is obvious. The CCP will not allow ByteDance to just hand it over, regardless of how many billions are offered for it.

Tagovailoa

Feb 5, 2023
Already not voting for my rep who voted for this. My senator not running for reelection.

Biden is a fucking hypocrite though.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
Exactly. Elon is already meddling in politics here and abroad but it's China that I'm supposed to be the most worried about?

There is an underlying assumption in the "China will meddle with us, we can't trust them" argument, which is that None Of The Current Political Quagmire Wouldn't Happen If It Wasn't For Russia. I'm so sorry but the permanent state of exception and rise of a particular kind of right wing, which by the way is exported around the world, is your doing. The belief in rational discourse among two hegemonic, gargantuan parties that nevertheless sat right next to one another in the political compass is what caused all this in the first place. There's homework to be done before China is the major problem.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I guess it depends how much you value individual freedom, free press and democracy. If you value them highly, then the USA is better at providing that.

Yeah. There's no way the US would let state government's control women's bodies or violently suppress the right to free speech.

Would you say the US is better at providing that if Trump wins? I'd imagine not. So I don't think the government inherently is better at providing any of that.

This 100% correct .
IMO Trump would be way fucking worst for the world and USA than how the Chinese government currently effect the world .

And this is exactly what everyone on Era has told me.

The US isn't placing anyone in concentration plants and forcing them into slave labor. Anyone claiming China is somehow morally superior to the US in any capacity needs to spend less time ranting online and more time actually informing themselves.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-into-labor-a-violation-of-anti-slavery-laws/

www.splcenter.org

Settlement In Forced Labor Case Against Private Prison Company Operating Immigration Detention Center

Plaintiffs allege CoreCivic forced them to work for as little as $1 per day by threatening punishment, including solitary confinement and deprivation of basic necessities

Also, I don't think anyone claimed China was morally superior.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I prefer it to be banned than sold, this way us in the rest of the world can enjoy the platform but now without americans

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Given how China treats U.S. companies, I have zero sympathy for TikTok's position.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Replace "Chinese government" with "American government" and "Uyghur Muslims" with "Palestinians" and this sentence would still be correct.

Also, I do not trust any, especially Google and Facebook, social media platforms and if you believe that the US government is any hair better than the Chinese, then you should get your head out of your ass.

(I don't have a TikTok account nor use the app by the way)
What?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Thats pretty fascinating that the US is almost meaningless to Tik Tok's financial performance (the parent company), I would never have guessed that based on how popular it seems among younger people in the US. Just goes to show how the shifts in global capitalism is occurring slowly.

I suspect we'll see this more and more in the 21st century and the results will probably be extremely unexpected and surprising.

IndoorBoys

Oct 29, 2017
IMO it's a negotiating tactic. Doesn't exactly help your bargaining power to admit you're screwed and intend to sell.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda want to see this happen?
But sadly it's just for trying to scare because it generate so much money they would never do that.

Vena

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMO it's a negotiating tactic. Doesn't exactly help your bargaining power to admit you're screwed and intend to sell.

There's another report that indicates they plan to sell but without the algo, which does not conflict with this report. They stand to lose a insignificant sum of money if they were banned or stopped operations. They had planned to sell to Microsoft or Oracle in 2020 on the previous wave of ban threats.

So more likely than not their bluff has been called. We'll no doubt see more reporting on this as time passes.

It's unlikely that a good faith actor business wouldn't see this as a point to sell and cash out their American branch. The only real reason to be adamant to not sell is if the reason for the ban are legitimate.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
TikTok helped Trump lose last time. Now it'll help him win with it being banned. Crazy.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
A few key bullet points to address some unconvincing arguments I saw in the other thread, in the hope it might convince some of the opponents of the ban that a Tik tok divest order is actually warranted for the USA:

• China's authoritarian control over TikTok and the potential national security risks outweigh any purported benefits of the app as a tool for left-wing organizing.

• China's National Intelligence Law requires organizations to "support, assist and cooperate with the state intelligence work." The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) also embeds officials within major companies to influence decisions.

• The notion that ByteDance could refuse directives from Xi Jinping's regime is naive at best.

• The Chinese government is currently carrying out a horrific genocide against Uyghur Muslims, with over a million detained in concentration camps. They cannot be trusted

• China has already demonstrated its willingness to censor and manipulate TikTok content globally, as reported by the Washington Post in 2019.

• Even if direct censorship has abated, China can use TikTok's algorithms to promote or suppress certain content, shaping the information users see without their knowledge.

• China is already using these manipulation techniques in disinformation campaigns targeting Taiwan on Twitter and YouTube, as found by a recent study from the Australian Strategic Policy Institute. These efforts were not as unsophisticated as some people in the other thread claim. And even if they were, people learn. The PRC will learn.

• ByteDance has already used TikTok to spy on journalists, demonstrating the real-world consequences
Good post.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What? No it isn't. The US isn't placing anyone in concentration plants and forcing them into slave labor. Anyone claiming China is somehow morally superior to the US in any capacity needs to spend less time ranting online and more time actually informing themselves.
Not that it is equivalent, but it really needs to be stated that while we aren't publicly at that point of rounding up all ethnic minorities and shoving them in torture camps and slave camps, we have migrants from the Mexican boarder in camps living in terrible conditions, prisons filled with people of color forced to work, states trying to put children back into factories by dismantling protections for them, trans people being persecuted by our state governments, and we aid, sell weapons, and give money to various genocidal regimes AND have assisted in various wars that have wiped out countless numbers of people of color in other countries so…

We aren't actively engaging in genocide on our soil in the way China is, but we have done terrible things—continue to do terrible things—and this country has the potential to do more.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
In a hellish economic landscape, Millennials and Gen-z find a way to carve a living out of TikTok content so of course Dems have it shut down.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Of course. There was a tweet in one of the political discords that said that Bytedance was looking for buyers for the app without the algorithm so I imagine this is also a sales tactic. Companies might want to lowball them since they're up against the clock, but by making it seem like they're okay being banned in the US it gives them some wiggle room.

Prokofiev

Jun 30, 2022
The US does pretty much the same things with our social media networks. How quickly we forget. Your point about genocide also rings hollow considering the US' stance on the genocide in Palestine.
You cannot possible compare the level of censorship on social media between China and the US.

The fact that TikTok is prepared to work against their own financial interest, in refusing to sell, is explicit proof that they are running an influence operation. The 'algorithm' excuse is a red herring.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019

I will add one more point to this.

There will 100% be a TikTok equivalent in this country before TikTok is actually shut down.

3rdman

May 25, 2018
Would legitimately suck if it came to fruition.
I remember people saying similar things about the demise of MySpace. As I am in the "older generation" I never did get on the TikTok bandwagon so I just don't care and I don't see why the end of TikTok would be terrible as there are other apps to take its place? They all seem the same to me. (insert "old man shouting at cloud.gif")

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Russia has actually been able to do all of this via Facebook and Twitter, so why will anyone perceive this as a national security measure and not an assault on American free speech?

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
The US does pretty much the same things with our social media networks. How quickly we forget. Your point about genocide also rings hollow considering the US' stance on the genocide in Palestine.
The US Government is not placing its own citizens in reeducation farms and stripping them away from their families and communities while some unknown majority of them mysteriously disappear while also subjecting those who remain to social credit systems all on the basis of their faith.

Seriously some of you need to take a step back and actually think about the parallels you are spouting before you post them. Providing funding to another state engaged in a horrendous campaign against civilians is awful but it is not in any way remotely the same as the horrific actions China takes on its own citizens and the fact that any person here would think otherwise betrays such a total lack of understanding that I can't help but be in a state of utter disbelief reading through this thread.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Please don't resort to whataboutism. It's not a defense as you well know.

I guess it depends how much you value individual freedom, free press and democracy. If you value them highly, then the USA is better at providing that.

Where does all this confidence come from? Have you lived for a long time in both countries and thought up a detailed analysis of their pros and cons?

I will admit I've only been to China once, and I quite enjoyed it. The friendliest, smartest, funniest and coolest people you can imagine. The most awe-inspiring culture and history on the planet. Ridiculously varied and amazing food. Great tech. The list goes on.

With that said, I did not enjoy the PRC's censorship and the "Great" firewall and I instantly needed to use a VPN to digitally breathe again.

It was not an issue as a tourist, but I am opinionated and demanding and I would not want to live in a dictatorship. I've already lived most of my life in one, and I like freedom of speech. It's fucking nice. Look how opinionated I am about USA politics. It's nuts 😆.

Immigrants who come from dictatorships (and people who still live in them) know what I'm talking about.
Is it really whataboutism if you're just pointing out blatant hypocrisy?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Case in point is the amount of pro-Palestinian messaging on Twitter. You won't find equivalent Uyghur messaging anywhere in China.
TikTok is the biggest platform for Palestine support right now. Meanwhile Twitter/Elon is actively using the platform to destabilize Brazilian democracy saying Bolsonaro lost because the election was rigged

Also I just searched "Uyghur" on Tiktok and there are tons of videos

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
The US Government is not placing its own citizens in reeducation farms and stripping them away from their families and communities while some unknown majority of them mysteriously disappear while also subjecting those who remain to social credit systems all on the basis of their faith.

The U.S. would never do that… Just don't Google Black Americans and the Prison Industrial Complex.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Not that it is equivalent, but it really needs to be stated that while we aren't publicly at that point of rounding up all ethnic minorities and shoving them in torture camps and slave camps, we have migrants from the Mexican boarder in camps living in terrible conditions, prisons filled with people of color forced to work, states trying to put children back into factories by dismantling protections for them, trans people being persecuted by our state governments, and we aid, sell weapons, and give money to various genocidal regimes AND have assisted in various wars that have wiped out countless numbers of people of color in other countries so…

We aren't actively engaging in genocide on our soil in the way China is, but we have done terrible things—continue to do terrible things—and this country has the potential to do more.
All of this is true. There are absolutely many reasons to be critical of our federal and state governments and I whole heartedly agree on every single one of those mentioned here but words have meaning and the above does not make us equivalent to the horrors China's government inflicts on its own citizenry. Implying or outfighting stating they do is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.