• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a second DLC expansion for Infinite Wealth?

Unless we're finally ready to see Final Judgment...?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i highly doubt theyd be announcing a new game at a small event like this.

They'll be doing RGG summit for those.

But, maybe a DLC for Y8 could be on the cards.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
At this rate they'll actually start releasing games faster than even I can finish them lol.

But I reaaaaaaaaaaally wouldnt assume they'll announce something next week. Just because these little teases, for their web broadcasts especially almost NEVER lead to anything other than hilarious Era threads where people watch the streams all confused on what's going on.
Personally Id just love them to show off some beta footage of 7 before the combat swap, I always wondered exactly what Ichiban's move set would have been like...

As for likelyhood of new releases from the ones you mentioned:

Judge - Possible. And expect it to go to Hawaii for EZ map reuse.

Kiwami 3/other remakes - dont want 'em but definitely wouldnt rule them out as an easier way to get a game out for next year since they require less work compared to a new game. Unless its Kenzan in which case the amount of new assets needed, as well as rewrites probably equals a new game.

Dead Souls/Binary Domain? Lol no.

Licensed game... unlikely, considering Hokuto didnt do amazing, and it had a shoe string budget. Id love a version that didnt feel quite so rushed, I loved that game.

Brand new game: Seems somewhat early.

Gaiden like game: Shorter than a brand new game, possible since Gaiden was pulled together in such a short time frame and turned out great.

So I think whenever we get news of new RGG games it'll probably be in this order:
Remake
Judge/new brawler game/Gaiden like
Numbered release (2028ish release date I reckon)

We'll probably get an announcement of one by the end of this year, even if its just in passing, and hopefully get a bigger summit style announcement next year with several new games - like the Ishin/Gaiden/8 news.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love for a Fist of the North Star or Dead Souls remaster.

Dead Souls would need so much more work than just a remaster and I'm pretty sure the game is internally considered kind of an embarrassment (it's one of the main reasons the series almost died in the west before 0), so I'm not sure they'd want to put the level of effort into it that it would require to become a playable modern game.

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
Majima game, please please please.

But also announcing that Kiwami 3/4/5 are going to happen would be fucking great.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
I once again hold unreasonable hope for a Yakuza 1.5 that actually shows Kiryu during his peak Yakuza days in the 90s gaining his reputation as the Dragon of Dojima, combined with a Godfather Part II-esque parralel storyline of Shintaro Kazama during the late 70s/early 80s scrappily winning territory for the Dojima family.

"You know what Monday is right?" I do. But let's not forget this gem of a trailer made for RGG Online, 9 months before Yakuza 7's release.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noioqCv92hM

I'll never not call "bullshit" on their claim they only implemented the RPG battle system in less than 9 months after seeing fan reaction to this trailer. Far too much of the game and story is tied around it.

But if it allowed them to reveal to the bosses "look, the fans love it, and it just so happens that...." then more power to them.

OP
OP
DanarchyReigns
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never not call "bullshit" on their claim they only implemented the RPG battle system in less than 9 months after seeing fan reaction to this trailer. Far too much of the game and story is tied around it.

But if it allowed them to reveal to the bosses "look, the fans love it, and it just so happens that...." then more power to them.
True true. It's a fun myth, but realistically, Yakuza 7 was already deep in development. The trailer was likely a way to gauge the reaction before they dropped the bombshell.
I do wonder when they got Ken Yasuda though, looking at Proto-Nanba in the trailer.

IceBear

Nov 20, 2017
Hopefully more IW dlc or story expansions, the original game ended in a pretty lacklustre manner.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
If its anything of significance, they'll do a tease on their English twitter too, which hasnt happened yet.
Also again, I'd be VERY surprised if they announced a brand new game outside of their RGG summit shows.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
There's a meal chat in 8 where ichiban jokes to Tomi that they'll go anywhere together, maybe even space. So my theory is we get some sort of sci fi spinoff one day. They'll use kiryu for history spinoffs and ichi for scifi

A person could dreamā€¦

OP
OP
DanarchyReigns
Oct 25, 2017
There's a meal chat in 8 where ichiban jokes to Tomi that they'll go anywhere together, maybe even space. So my theory is we get some sort of sci fi spinoff one day. They'll use kiryu for history spinoffs and ichi for scifi

A person could dreamā€¦
I always figured that Ichiban would be a good vehicle for a fantasy spin-off. With knights and castles and dragons. Take the Dragon Quest inspiration all the way to the zenith.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
announce a fishing simulator. (IW spoilers)We play the tojo trio as they try to survive as fishermen.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
It'd never happen due to the work it would take and how tied it is to the PSP but I'd love a Kurohyo revist in some form, even just some of the characters to be mentioned. realisitically though the most I'd expect is a Yakuza 8 DLC 2 or maybe a Judgemnt 3 teaser, though I'd expect a proper reveal at a proper event like a summit or possibly maybe summer games fest

DPB

Nov 1, 2017

I doubt it was that late, but I can definitely believe that they changed the combat system fairly late given that the rest of the party is entirely absent from substories. Unless of course that was a deliberate choice rather than that part of the game having already been developed.

I haven't played Infinite Wealth yet though, do companions feature in substories? It's impossible to get a straight answer out of Google.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I doubt it was that late, but I can definitely believe that they changed the combat system fairly late given that the rest of the party is entirely absent from substories. Unless of course that was a deliberate choice rather than that part of the game having already been developed.

I haven't played Infinite Wealth yet though, do companions feature in substories? It's impossible to get a straight answer out of Google.

Theres no party members in substories in IW either, so thats really just a design choice.

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017

Companions aren't in substories in IW either.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Like a Dragon is gonna be an RTS from here on out.
Or change to an anime aesthetic.
They did that sort-of RTS minigame in Yakuza 6 and Kiwami 2 and it was very much not fun.

However I'd be down for making Like A Dragon a Sim/business-management style game. Like the business side content of 0 and 7, only expanded into a full game. Think of the crossover potential with the German sim market!

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021

The red flag wasn't the substories, IIRC the last two party members barely had any participation in cutscenes, as if they weren't originally meant to be in the party at first.

Feb 5, 2018

But most of them are in all of the story cutscenes and are integral to it. I dont think thats the case tbh