• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Should have had JJ Abrams do all three of the movies and then let Rian make up his own, it really fudged it up by having ia new guy come in for the second movie and basically take a wrecking ball to some of the threadlines it left for the later movies and I don't think JJ expected him to do that kind of thing.

Sorry, wrong.

Abrams was very effusive and supportive about Rian's script, so much so that he admitted after reading it that he wished he was directing it.

The notion that Rian's script was some manner of deviation from Abram's vision is simply untrue.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's how I feel, although I actually think that's a problem with JJ's original set up of the Sequel Trilogy, not Rian's.

I loved TLJ and TFA, but they seem like very small adventures in terms of expanding the Star Wars universe. And it wasn't about just the number of planets and locations they visit. Those things stay the same in the ST.

I think they felt an obligation to bring those classic characters back one last time.

Once this trilogy ends and the Skywalker arc has been definitively finished, I'm hoping the sky ( or galaxy) is the limit. :)

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry, wrong.

Abrams was very effusive and supportive about Rian's script, so much so that he admitted after reading it that he wished he was directing it.

The notion that Rian's script was some manner of deviation from Abram's vision is simply untrue.

Rian has said they he was basically free to do what he wanted and didn't have to really stick to anything.

Do you think JJ was in a position to tell Disney "no don't let him do this?" No, he's not going to start something and potentially cause issues for Disney.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like what Rian did what other people's stuff, but I would have liked to see what he would have done on his own. Oh well.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney doesn't know what to do with star wars any more than EA does.

This sucks. Movies probably would have been great.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Finn was done dirty by TLJ. And so was Poe.
I don't see how getting to be something more than "guy who goes along with the resistance only because it's what Rey's interested in" as opposed to finally doing so because that's what he wants for himself and getting to close the door on his past after defeating his former commanding officer is being done dirty. As for Poe, not seeing the problem at all with a subversion of the "hot shot rogue who goes against his superiors whom he knows so much better than to save the day" cliche that we've seen a million times before in other stories.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
No Star Wars trilogy has been mapped out in advance. Darth Vader was not Luke's father in 1977. Luke and Leia were not siblings in 1980. Hell, Lucas was making up the prequels on the fly, and he was the sole person writing and directing them!

People think the originals and the prequels were all born out of a single cohesive vision because many of them grew up always thinking of Star Wars as a trilogy, and the obvious retcons feel like they'd always been part of the story.
wow i had no idea
admittedly i'm not a big SW fan

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Me looking through the early pages of this thread

tenor.gif

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
If he's directing his own trilogy I suppose everybody (at least everyone that matters) comes out on top.

I strongly disliked TLJ but primarily because I thought it was a bad sequel and an almost worse setup for a finale. But the damage is already done.

I have other issues with it, but "eh" *shrug*

Also, I'll say that my opinion of the film concretely changed when I saw the festival/raid scene with Rey and Luke. How that got cut instead of Poe slinging yo mama jokes is beyond me.

Speaking of Poe, and while we're on the subject of TLJ and representation and toxicity, TLJ fans need to acknowledge how blatantly TLJ upheld standards of white male privilege with Poe's arc. Dude does nothing but refuse to listen to anyone else, screw things up constantly, almost get everyone killed TWICE, and somehow comes out of the whole thing as the brand new leader of the good guys.

Like, you wanna have a conversation about mediocre white men?

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good, the last Jedi was shit and the numbers show how bad of a movie it was. He literally ruined star wars over night. Well more then Lucas did the with the Episode 1 to 3.

It was amazing and the numbers only show a bunch a mostly alt-righters freaking out in online reviews. So. Hmmmm

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rian has said they he was basically free to do what he wanted and didn't have to really stick to anything.

Do you think JJ was in a position to tell Disney "no don't let him do this?" No, he's not going to start something and potentially cause issues for Disney.

You mean the guy who delivered Disney the highest grossing U.S. domestic release of all time?

Yeah, I think he had some clout.

Also Johnson and Abrams were collaborating even before TFA was released. While Johnson had creative freedom to some extent (evidenced by some of his controversial creative choices) Kennedy (and to a lesser extent Abrams) have also been a guiding factor.

Kennedy was personally selected by Lucas because of his faith in her ability to oversee new entries into this franchise and she is well known and respected for her creative input on the many projects she has produced. The idea that Rian was doing his own thing without interference is probably true but only because Kennedy approved of what he was doing.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that I don't like about their characters in TLJ so much is that it's other people and only other people paying for their mistakes. All the hundreds of rebels, Luke. As opposed to Empire, when Luke and Han both pay for their own mistakes.

Well, in reality, mistakes often do impact other people more than the person making the mistake.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Poe, and while we're on the subject of TLJ and representation and toxicity, TLJ fans need to acknowledge how blatantly TLJ upheld standards of white male privilege with Poe's arc. Dude does nothing but refuse to listen to anyone else, screw things up constantly, almost get everyone killed TWICE, and somehow comes out of the whole thing as the brand new leader of the good guys.

Like, you wanna have a conversation about mediocre white men?
Oscar Isaac isn't Latino enough for you? Fucked up to use him as your pawn to go on a rant about white men.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
can someone explain what exactly makes so many people hate TFA and/or TLJ?

For me I loved TFA, it introduced me to me some of my favorite characters of the last decade, then I waited 2 years to see the sequel to it, and on top of TLJ being one of the most disappointing movies I've ever seen, it made me not even care about those characters anymore

That's why I personally have such a strong reaction about it

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love how the guy who started the rumor completely abandoned ship immediately after starting it, and a ton of people didn't take anything from that.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how the guy who started the rumor completely abandoned ship immediately after starting it, and a ton of people didn't take anything from that.
Random internet man said it so it MUST be true.

If anything this shows that film journo's are now basically worthless. Considering all it takes is one total lie to just upend the "news" cycle for several hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.