• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
TLJ was literally the most over convoluted "war" that Star Wars has ever had, and it makes no fucking god damn sense in the overarching Star Wars plot. "OMG we are being chased" is the entire fucking main plot line. Get the fuck over it, people don't like TLJ because it's tone deaf to everything that made Star Wars special. This stupid revisionist bs about making TLJ the second coming of Christ is going to look so hilarious a decade down the line when it'll be remembered as a total chore to watch and overall unimportant blip in the radar.

lmao

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
TLJ was literally the most over convoluted "war" that Star Wars has ever had, and it makes no fucking god damn sense in the overarching Star Wars plot. "OMG we are being chased" is the entire fucking main plot line. Get the fuck over it, people don't like TLJ because it's tone deaf to everything that made Star Wars special.
MIdichlorians

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Same zero chance that Sony was going to pull Spider-man out of the MCU?

You mean the negotiation tactic that lasted a couple weeks before he was back in the MCU, as every intelligent person understood would happen? Very strange idea of a "gotcha" moment.

But let's stay on topic: no, Kevin Feige is not going to run both the Star Wars and Marvel sides of the MCU. I don't think you understand how ridiculously crazy that idea even is. I'm honestly not sure how you think that's a possibility given how much work that would be.

Oct 31, 2017
You mean the negotiation tactic that lasted a couple weeks before he was back in the MCU, as every intelligent person understood would happen? Very strange idea of a "gotcha" moment.

But let's stay on topic: no, Kevin Feige is not going to run both the Star Wars and Marvel sides of the MCU. I don't think you understand how ridiculously crazy that idea even is. I'm honestly not sure how you think that's a possibility given how much work that would be.

I mean you saying and being very adamant that "there is zero chance that Sony will pull Spider-man from the MCU". Which they did. And you were wrong, as you usually are.

Oct 31, 2017
lmao

Just going to change the subject so you don't have to explain how your ridiculous "Kathleen Kennedy is being fired and Kevin Feige will run both Marvel and Star Wars" idea would work?

I didn't change anything. It's a theory. And I said she would retire, not be fired.

Feige running Marvel and Lucas.....or Feige getting ready to take over Horn's job (and Horn retiring) is my theory. Theory being the keyword. If it's wrong it's wrong, but I don't think Feige doing a SW movie is a one off. I don't go around arrogantly and erroneously making absolute statements that turn out to be false later on.

What do you think that Feige will bring to the SW franchise?

I guess we'll find out.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As a Latin American I disagree. Star Wars was gigantic here during the prequels and during the lead up to TFA. After TLJ or maybe even sometime before it's like all the hype just died. Everyone here says the new movies are just boring and no one is particularly excited about TROS.

The prequels are seen much more favorably around here (probably because The dubs did wonders to hide Hayden's awful lines)

Its not a lack on nostalgia what's been happening to SW in LatAm. Can't speak for other regions tho.

its excess of nostalgia, most people i know LIKE the prequels unironically.

and they hate the ST because of leading woman, black co-protagonist, and chinese woman character.

literally they haven saying that they wish for finn and rose to die.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Are you comparing Rian Johnson to David Lynch? I like Johnson, but that comparison is a bit ridiculous.
No, I am saying that The Last Jedi is not the typical Star Wars film. It's not a sweeping story across the galaxy with the typical pew pew and lightsaber action, it is a study on failure and how our heroes don't live up to the standards we make for them through a long ass BSG-esque chase. Lynch would have done something just as bonkers, if not even more. Or I guess I am saying fans will never be happy unless they have the safest thing that is absolutely Star Wars (but not too safe).

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Damn. After TLJ I would absolutely kill to see what he could do with a blank slate.

Really curious to see what the general feeling on TLJ will be a few more years. I'm still surprised it's so widely reviled.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
its excess of nostalgia, most people i know LIKE the prequels unironically.

and they hate the ST because of leading woman, black co-protagonist, and chinese woman character.

literally they haven saying that they wish for finn and rose to die.

So you're saying everyone in Latin America who has lost interest in Star Wars is because they are racist and sexist and there's zero issues with the movies?

Seriously?

The movies are simply not resonating here the way the prequels did. Simple as that.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So you're saying everyone in Latin America who has lost interest in Star Wars is because they are racist and sexist and there's zero issues with the movies?

Seriously?

the fuck?

why do you think i mention the people I KNOW.

The movies are simply not resonating here the way the prequels did. Simple as that.

and you think it is because of the quality??

because if the PT "resonated" with people, then anything can lol

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feige is apparently a superfan, which actually kinda worries me because sometimes they let their own slavish devotion to a work get in the way of telling their own story, like Superman Returns.

I doubt that'd be an issue. He oversees the entire MCU after all, which strikes the perfect balance between catering towards fans and doing its own thing. Which is what the sequel trilogy should've been doing all along.

Lucasfilm really needs someone like Feige so my only real concern is that he'll be sticking around for more than just one movie and Disney will exhaust the guy by having him work extensively on Marvel and Star Wars stuff at the same time.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I doubt that'd be an issue. He oversees the entire MCU after all, which strikes the perfect balance between catering towards fans and doing its own thing. Which is what the sequel trilogy should've been doing all along.

Lucasfilm really needs someone like Feige so my only real concern is that he'll be sticking around for more than just one movie and Disney will exhaust the guy by having him work extensively on Marvel and Star Wars stuff at the same time.

what do you mean someone like Feige? is kathleen kennedy just pained on lucasfilm or what?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
the fuck?

why do you think i mention the people I KNOW.

and you think it is because of the quality??

because if the PT "resonated" with people, then anything can lol

This might surprise you, but general audiences dont give a SHIT about quality. Venom, Simba and Optimus Prime say hi. General audience care about having fun and the couldn't care less about what Mr Plinkett has to say.

In LatAm the prequels brought cool new stuff back when they were 12, the sequels did not bring anything new that people here found cool.

It's just that simple.

There's no secret racist/sexist agenda. Even if there's some shit heads on the Internet pretending this whole deal is some sort of win against feminism

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This might surprise you, but general audiences dont give a SHIT about quality. Venom, Simba and Optimus Prime say hi. General audience care about having fun and the couldn't care less about what Mr Plinkett has to say.

ok, so the ST not resonating with people has nothing to do with quality

gotcha

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
If we end up with a new Star Wars trilogy penned by benioff and then they cut Johnson's it will just confirm we are in the worst timeline.

The internet backlash on tlj already kinda confirmed that though.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
"I'll be thrilled if it happens"

I won't be. Hopefully his connection to Star Wars began and ended with TLJ.

Not interested.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TLJ was so full of problems and thematic inconsistency I wouldn't mind if it doesn't.
this. i don't blame rian for all of tlj problems as i believe there were too many chefs in that kitchen and no effective leadership coming from the producers, but i won't mind if disney axes some plans to refocus and regroup. disney needs lightning to strike twice and find some kevin feige clone to guide star wars.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
While I wasn't looking forward to any future SW movie from Rian, I am saddened for the fans that did want to see what he did. IMHO though, I think Johnson is better at making his own original movies than working within the confines of established lore/story.

I think, though, this isn't the end of his SW run. I think his stuff will be incorporated into a show if he wants it to. If that's not what he wants this doesn't look great for his future in the franchise.

I'm still looking forward to the future of Star Wars regardless. Anyone saying they give up on Star Wars because they keep him or get rid of him isn't really a Star Wars fan in my eyes.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Johnson would've worked a lot better doing his own thing with his own characters. He was kinda handed a grenade in some ways by VII which didn't want to deal with the hot potatoe issue "what the fuck happened to Luke".

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Rian is a very humble dude and I can totally see him using the word IF in a way that many filmmakers do - even when something is greenlit, it's never real until the film is DONE.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

You understand this literally changes nothing to Star Wars right ?

Telling you you're alive because of "cells" doesn't quite explain how it came together to produce life.
Faith and science are not mutually exclusive in the real world so I don't see the problem in Star Wars.

An entire society revolving around the Jedi had no reason not to indulge in this kind of alternate science.
Knowing that individuals that were strong in the force harbored more midichlorians than non force sensitive people is a result not a cause.

Last edited:

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
D&D bout to develop the next era of SW....

šŸ„“šŸ¤®

The same peeps that said themes are for eight grade book reports. Imagine SW movies without any central theme.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
He's the best thing to happened to SW in ages, it would be a real shame if this didn't happen too.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I am saying that The Last Jedi is not the typical Star Wars film. It's not a sweeping story across the galaxy with the typical pew pew and lightsaber action, it is a study on failure and how our heroes don't live up to the standards we make for them through a long ass BSG-esque chase. Lynch would have done something just as bonkers, if not even more. Or I guess I am saying fans will never be happy unless they have the safest thing that is absolutely Star Wars (but not too safe).
I find this so fascinating because I think TLJ *is* about as safe as it could have been, which I found very disappointing. And people seem to either think that or that it's completely the opposite, like you. I'm not attacking your opinion I just find it interesting how polarizing this movie is (and I'm not counting the bad faith crowd who hate it because it has minorities or whatever).

It's just a shame that it's almost impossible to have a discussion about this movie on the internet without people assuming maximum bad faith on their interlocutor's part.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I find this so fascinating because I think TLJ *is* about as safe as it could have been, which I found very disappointing. And people seem to either think that or that it's completely the opposite, like you. I'm not attacking your opinion I just find it interesting how polarizing this movie is (and I'm not counting the bad faith crowd who hate it because it has minorities or whatever).

It's just a shame that it's almost impossible to have a discussion about this movie on the internet without people assuming maximum bad faith on their interlocutor's part.
I adore The Force Awakens but that is an example of how safe it can get.

This isn't really a defense of The Last Jedi but rather how I consider it so different:

The Last Jedi takes place seconds after The Force Awakens ends, which has never been done before in the series, and all the events in it happen in less than a couple of days. It takes arguably the most mythological protagonist in film (Luke Skywalker) and shows him as a broken man that considered, for a second, killing his nephew. This was also the first Star Wars movie to ever use a flashback, as George Lucas was completely against them, in a Rashomon-inspired "what happened" scenario between Kylo Ren and Luke. It also attempts a completely different style of humor than previous films in the saga, more Marvel-ish quips and strange jokes, compared to the light Threepio mocking of the OT and whatever all those poop and fart jokes were in the PT lol.

You have Rey who was hyped up as having some great lineage that fans speculated for years as to whether she was related to anyone, only to turn that on it's head and reveal that she is the "light rising" to meet Kylo's darkness per Snoke. Poe, Leia, and Holdo's storyline takes place in a cruiser that is running until it runs out of fuel for the entire movie, which sounds much more like a Battlestar Galactica plot than a Star Wars one. I hated the character but DJ introduced a new element to the Star Wars universe, albeit barely fleshed out, in that the rich is purposefully funding the war on both sides and playing the fields so they can enjoy their gold and power. There is also Holdo-Dern potentially shattering all Star Wars physics by ramming her ship into the First Order fleet, crippling them and creating a whole new wave of questions for fans.

I think there are some obvious parallels, like Rey training with Luke being a mirror of Luke training with Yoda, but their interactions are quite different. Yoda was testing Luke the entire time - meanwhile, older Luke was trying to convince Rey to leave him alone because he was convinced the Jedi (and himself) helped orchestrate the fall of the galaxy. The biggest parallel is probably the throne room sequence with Kylo, Rey, and Snoke borrowing so much from Return of the Jedi with the dark-sided apprentice preying on his master's ego and killing him when he least expected it. But there are differences there, too.

Not fighting against your opinion by any means, just wanted to show you why I feel this way about the movie's direction. IMHO, any movie that did what it did to such an iconic character with Luke alone was always going to be controversial and turn heads. But I think Johnson did a lot of new things for the franchise (whether or not you like them is something else, lol, I am just acknowledging that he did what he did) that separated what Abrams did with The Force Awakens.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
it's kinda insane how badly solo spooked disney

christ this guy still made $1.3 billion with his star wars movie. you don't need to give him a trilogy but one movie wouldn't hurt.