viskod

Nov 9, 2017
This last episode was effectively because I definitely don't feel like watching a heist movie anytime soon.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
they're making a Pop from the toilet episode and it has sound
45437_RM_KingRick_Sound_POP_GLAM-WEB-09c15a40930c465e2372e0e849194620.png

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: Trover saves the Universe was better than this and last season of Rick and morty. By far.

I think what accounts for this is the Roiland/Harmon ratio. Trover felt close to being 100% Roiland, while I feel that Rick & Morty is becoming increasingly Harmonized as seasons go by. Not that "Roiland = Good" and "Harmon = Bad", but it's just that the recipe is better with the right ratio.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I think what accounts for this is the Roiland/Harmon ratio. Trover felt close to being 100% Roiland, while I feel that Rick & Morty is becoming increasingly Harmonized as seasons go by. Not that "Roiland = Good" and "Harmon = Bad", but it's just that the recipe is better with the right ratio.

Harmon talked about abandoning his classic structure of the early seasons which is why S4 is so frantic. If anything, it's the other way around.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting this Jerry thing to keep going

this is going to be... something

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That dude on the yacht had an Ash Ketchum hat

"A slut dragon has escaped. Anyone caught harboring it is also a slut. That's how it works."

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that was my favorite episode of the show, it was like the TV episode but stretched out for 22 minutes

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
Pretty big step down from the last episode. I wanna know if the cat thing will ever go anywhere though, that ending with Jerry was so weird.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Joking aside I like the implication that they give that no answer will ever be satisfying enough and that the truth was impossible to visualize without ruining the integrity of the joke in the weirdest nod to Schrodinger's Cat that I've ever seen.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty big step down from the last episode. I wanna know if the cat thing will ever go anywhere though, that ending with Jerry was so weird.
probably not, its rick and morty

theres this weird expectation that there's this ongoing plotline thats going to magically happen every episode when it's always been tangential to the series at best and doesnt really foreshadow itself much

sure. evil morty was a thing they picked up two seasons later after teasing it in season 1. sure, the saga of bird person was a thing. idk man, i think they just want the show to be something you can watch from any point without really thinking too hard about it.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
probably not, its rick and morty

theres this weird expectation that there's this ongoing plotline thats going to magically happen every episode when it's always been tangential to the series at best and doesnt really foreshadow itself much

sure. evil morty was a thing they picked up two seasons later after teasing it in season 1. sure, the saga of bird person was a thing. idk man, i think they just want the show to be something you can watch from any point without really thinking too hard about it.

Yeah, although that credits scene in the heist episode was a little foreboding so there's some really mixed messages. I don't really think they'll pay anything off at this point

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
real talk im not really sure what the message about slut-shaming was in this episode and i dont really think it came off as positive at all

i cant really say what i want this show to be about but i do find it frustrating how god-mode rick tends to be almost all the time, even when he should be completely out of his element. like maybe this is my fault for thinking these stories should have stakes that dont instantly get solved all the time when rick gets like 10 seconds to figure out what to do. rick is maybe out of his element for like a minute total before the writers just give him a machine that can do anything.

the writers want us to think heist movies and magic is dumb but at the same time cant figure out anything more interesting to fill the void theyve created it feels. rick wouldnt even have done anything if his life wasn't tied to the dragon's, but even if it turned out he couldn't do anything, theyve already set up that rick can come back from death whenever he wants from wasp rick's phoenix vat and we've literally had a episode already where rick can change the properties of magic.

and again, if they want us to care about continuity by bringing up past elements like the mind eraser from mind blowers, it feels like there will constantly always be zero stakes.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mostly full of duds. the art team is pulling most of the weight which is why i keep watching but most episodes lack real stakes because rick is constantly portrayed as god and what few character flaws he has are usually not challenged by the cast of characters in a way that makes it apparent that they are really flaws.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
real talk im not really sure what the message about slut-shaming was in this episode and i dont really think it came off as positive at all
The message from what I can tell is that slut shaming is over-punished and no one needs to know what you do in your fetish community because it's probably gonna come off as creepy to anyone but you

i cant really say what i want this show to be about but i do find it frustrating how god-mode rick tends to be almost all the time, even when he should be completely out of his element. like maybe this is my fault for thinking these stories should have stakes that dont instantly get solved all the time when rick gets like 10 seconds to figure out what to do. rick is maybe out of his element for like a minute total before the writers just give him a machine that can do anything.

the writers want us to think heist movies and magic is dumb but at the same time cant figure out anything more interesting to fill the void theyve created it feels. rick wouldnt even have done anything if his life wasn't tied to the dragon's, but even if it turned out he couldn't do anything, theyve already set up that rick can come back from death whenever he wants from wasp rick's phoenix vat and we've literally had a episode already where rick can change the properties of magic.
The point is the same point as One Punch Man with a different facet of life

Also you described Doctor Who

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
mostly full of duds. the art team is pulling most of the weight which is why i keep watching but most episodes lack real stakes because rick is constantly portrayed as god and what few character flaws he has are usually not challenged by the cast of characters in a way that makes it apparent that they are really flaws.
Ah cool I can skip this and continue to wait for the far superior Bojack horseman

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
This episode was really lame. Neither storylines were particularly funny nor interesting. Just another episode that didn't seem quite fully realized. The first episode was pretty great, the second one was good, the last two have been forgettable.