OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know what point they were trying to make by parodying Captain Planet in the first place.
The idea that the planeteers became jaded performative capitalists and that Planetina would start attacking problems art their roots (murdering hundreds and destabilizing entire industries) was actually kinda funny. Their breakup actually hit pretty hard, too.

Could done with Rick and Summer's story but the elbow titties were hilarious

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
The fucking ending of this one got me. I've been in that type of young love where once it's gone the hurt feels so strong

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
I would totally be down for Planetina to have a recurring role as Morty's on-again-off-again relationship.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Planetina taking pollution down to zero to the next level.

Alison Brie has a familiar voice.

"Hello" :)

"Goodbye" :(

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this was a bit of a weird episode. Like I was like "it's over?" when it ended. It didn't seem to really have a point in either the A- or B- story, which is generally fine but the episode was really making you feel like there is going to be one.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Started off as just a fun episode then they ramped up the emotion.

This season has introduced some interesting characters I hope we see more of: Time God Jessica, Mr. Nimbus, Planetina.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I really liked the episode. I loved seeing a more nuanced side of many of the characters concerning everyday feelings.

There was a lot of environmental niahlism that I connected with especially in light of all the news this week.

I also think it's interesting that in the other part of the episode with Rick and Summer, Summer was able to use Rick's technology to save the dying planet with no trouble at all. It makes Rick look like a selfish asshole for letting the world die when he has unlimited power literally and figuratively that could save the environment and improve everyone's lives. Kind of hits home with those in power and their indifference to the current situation.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
But he is one lol. He brought Summer with him to spite Morty.
I really loved Allison Brie's voice acting. Seeing Steve Buscemi in the credits was a surprise. I guess Eddie's voice was familiar.
Let me clarify, one of many examples per episode where Rick is an asshole. But nevertheless it's a new facet to Rick's assholeness that hasn't been quite covered before.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen the new episode yet, so I can't read through the newer comments, but am I the only one watching this through the Movies & TV app on the Xbox? I'm not sure how to watch stuff from that app on something other than an Xbox console (even a 360), but I'm not too worried about that right now. And yes, the episodes are uncensored on there.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I actually liked this one, I can see why it's more divisive and it's definitely not a normal episode of the show. It's a little messy and did feel like it was restrained by its runtime, but I think it was held up by a some strong scenes, a few good jokes, a decently well done heart of the episode I think some can relate to on some level, and its use of music.

I also agree with the sentiment this season has had better than usual side characters I'd actually like to see come back in the future. Mr. Nimbus and Planetina were both very different than other side characters in the show, and both actually pretty likable, and despite only being in one episode each, feel like they have more potential and interesting established relationships with the main cast to have them to appear again.

It'll probably have its split of likers and dislikers, but I'm happy they did this episode personally.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
This episode was just okay to me. I liked the idea of both the A and B plot and thought Morty crushing on a Captain Planet clone was a great concept, but they both ended kind of abruptly and I didn't really feel any of Morty's emotions, since I pretty much agreed with Beth that Planetina was a bit of a cradle-robber, haha (I know she's technically "ageless," but she's clearly been alive for thirty years or so and it just creeped me out a bit, not going to lie). I liked Planetina otherwise, and of course I'm an Allison Brie stan. I might have preferred if Planetina had seen Morty as more of a replacement for her "kids" rather than an actual relationship, though I suppose that would have drifted too much in the Jessica "unrequited love" trope.

I did like the small dap of frustrated love Summer and Rick gave each other at the end of their plot. A perfectly fine episode overall, but not as good as the others so far this season, imo.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't really come together it's a good premise but probably just a another run through and would have been great
I know she's technically "ageless," but she's clearly been alive for thirty years or so and it just creeped me out a bit, not going to lie)
It's weird it's not the first or 2nd time Morty had a serious relationship with an adult woman

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
This one was kinda meh, and I didnt find Rick and Summer's plot funny at all, the premise basically got boring a couple minutes in.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
It didn't really come together it's a good premise but probably just a another run through and would have been great

It's weird it's not the first or 2nd time Morty had a serious relationship with an adult woman

Yeah, there's tons of depraved stuff on the show and I find most of it funny, but it feels like those relationships are framed in a fairly positive light compared to some of the other stuff the characters do.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
This was an okay episode but I definitely shouldn't have watched it for the first time right after calling my mom to tell her my gf and I broke up. Gut punch when Beth came in.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't really get the message or whatever of this episode

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Didn't really get the message or whatever of this episode

Your family may be right/looking out for you even when they're telling you something you don't want to hear, I guess?

Both Summer and Beth were right about Rick and Morty's relationships, in a way, even if Summer acted more out of spite than love.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Your family may be right/looking out for you even when they're telling you something you don't want to hear, I guess?

Both Summer and Beth were right about Rick and Morty's relationships, in a way, even if Summer acted more out of spite than love.
Jerry did turn out to be right about the field trip i guess

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that was a weird episode. Maybe they were trying for a "realistic" Captain Planet idea?
Definitely not as strong as the first two episodes of the season.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
The episode wasn't as funny as the other ones, but I liked what they were going for. It was a rather straightforward romance that ended with a breakup due to (albeit exaggerated) differences. Morty's worldview wasn't shattered in a cynical way, he just had a tough breakup (that he ended on his terms). It happens. This feels like an idea that honestly could've easily been stretched across a couple of episodes because it definitely had a lot more meat than the B Story, which just felt like a quick concept thrown together to match the theme of the A Story.

Basically like it because Morty had some agency that wasn't driven by him being broken. He got to be "normal" for lack of a better word. Only thing I wish is that they had given Beth more screentime. She's always given Summer talks like this, but this could've been an episode where she realizes she never really talked to Morty about romance stuff. Lots of untapped potential for character moments.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
The episode wasn't as funny as the other ones, but I liked what they were going for. It was a rather straightforward romance that ended with a breakup due to (albeit exaggerated) differences. Morty's worldview wasn't shattered in a cynical way, he just had a tough breakup (that he ended on his terms). It happens. This feels like an idea that honestly could've easily been stretched across a couple of episodes because it definitely had a lot more meat than the B Story, which just felt like a quick concept thrown together to match the theme of the A Story.

Basically like it because Morty had some agency that wasn't driven by him being broken. He got to be "normal" for lack of a better word. Only thing I wish is that they had given Beth more screentime. She's always given Summer talks like this, but this could've been an episode where she realizes she never really talked to Morty about romance stuff. Lots of untapped potential for character moments.
Yeah, that's my take. It's not one of the funniest episodes, but it holds a lot of emotional weight. The Rick/Summer subplot was nice too.

The biggest knock against this episode is that it feels somewhat redundant compared to earlier episodes.

Last edited:

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I have to admit, I felt that Morty's little romance in "The Vat of Acid" episode landed a lot better for me. Not only was it genuinely sweet for a time, it ended hilariously and became one of my favorite individual moments in the entire run of the show. I can admire their attempt to play the Planetina thing straight, but I never really felt anything for Morty either way. It never became anything more than a setup for me, and one that never really played out to a satisfying conclusion, imo.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I think the point of the episode was to demonstrate the emotional similarities between Rick/Morty and their need to find love where it doesn't really exist.

Morty is immediately enraptured by Planetina, but has never demonstrated any concern for the environment. His obsession with her drives his interest, but that quickly devolves when his passion doesn't match her own.

Conversely, Rick wants to go on a drunken sexscapade, but also finds himself irrationally obsessed with someone in his emotionally vulnerable inebriated state.

The women in their lives rightfully point this out to both men and are shut down, yet both are still there to support them when it all falls apart.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
I think the episode did a good job of showing that Morty is 14 and can get caught up in the trappings of being 14.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My only complaint here really is that the ending didn't feel like it grew naturally out of anything before it. Watching it I thought they broke up because they ran out of screen time. Morty didn't try to get Planetina to stop murdering people (he represented the heart power so really should have taken a stab). Also his crying about Watching her murder the miners was kinda hollow when he murdered a whole Narnia dimension two weeks ago.

Which I guess is on theme, 14 year old love isn't rational, but they should have trimmed the B plot some to make room for the A.

Last edited:

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a mark for both Alison Brie and Steve Buscemi so they didn't need much more than that to keep me happy. Kishi Bashi was a neat surprise, though.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Morty has got quite the kill count now and killed people in some pretty horrific ways, hasn't he?

Hoping they do an episode on that one of these days. Rick has fucked him up beyond repair.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Weird one, I feel even in terms of Romance Stories, it's outdone by the premier from this season for the levels Morty goesfor Jessica, but in this instance it's Morty breaking it up instead of Jessica I suppose.

Planetina does have the issue that we've just been introduced to her compared to Jessica, but Jessica also had the introspection that there wasn't much going for her aside from being Morty's Love Interest.

I feel with the Rick and Morty universe you could also do more with the concept of Captain Planet's problems. You want to save the planet, but Rick and Morty not only deals with multiple planets, but even multiple universes of the same planet (a couple of which RIck has ruined in the past) how does that idea work about planet conservation if you introduce Planetina to the whole multiverse, would it break her mind? Would she try to save more planets? It feels like if Planetina was on the apocalypse tour how would that affect her.

I feel if you mixed the A Plot and B Plot you could dive into it more perhaps. The Knock Off Planeteers using her for commercial means is certainly a hilarious concept, but it feels rushed as well.

The A Plot feels like it's nearly there, and maybe with more support of the B Plot it could have done it. But it just missed out.

Didn't really care too much for the Apocalypse Bar Crawl. I see the comparison but it just feels pretty meh.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Weird one, I feel even in terms of Romance Stories, it's outdone by the premier from this season for the levels Morty goesfor Jessica, but in this instance it's Morty breaking it up instead of Jessica I suppose.

Planetina does have the issue that we've just been introduced to her compared to Jessica, but Jessica also had the introspection that there wasn't much going for her aside from being Morty's Love Interest.

I feel with the Rick and Morty universe you could also do more with the concept of Captain Planet's problems. You want to save the planet, but Rick and Morty not only deals with multiple planets, but even multiple universes of the same planet (a couple of which RIck has ruined in the past) how does that idea work about planet conservation if you introduce Planetina to the whole multiverse, would it break her mind? Would she try to save more planets? It feels like if Planetina was on the apocalypse tour how would that affect her.

I feel if you mixed the A Plot and B Plot you could dive into it more perhaps. The Knock Off Planeteers using her for commercial means is certainly a hilarious concept, but it feels rushed as well.

The A Plot feels like it's nearly there, and maybe with more support of the B Plot it could have done it. But it just missed out.

Didn't really care too much for the Apocalypse Bar Crawl. I see the comparison but it just feels pretty meh.
Morty's whole deal with Jessica has mainly just seemed to be him being a horny teenager. He barely even seems to know her. Seems like half the time he's just fantasizing about the popular girl at school.

I think the only thing resembling a real romance for Morty so far has been the relationship he reset and the one where he probably got molested by Planetina.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It wasn't a good R&M story.

Other Morty romance stories:

There's an episode where Rick gives Morty a undo remote.

Morty's also had an episode where he murders people in a pocket dimension for Jessica (which was kind of a mix of space snakes and Beth's Froopyland episodes).

The show is becoming derivative of its own concept.

The undo remote episode had the better relationship, but what I liked about this episode is it had the more heartfelt realistic human 14 year old morty response. From memory it's the first time we've actually seen heartbroken as opposed to nihilistically suicidal in the remote one.