• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I don't know what is the most technically detailed videogame character right now but how does it compare to, say Endgame Thanos or Blade Runner 2049 Rachael in terms of geometrical and material complexity?

Like the title says, I'm not comparing AA or render budget because, fuck me, that's never getting close in the foreseeable future, but really most everything else that will only get better as gaming hardware improves.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
For me, realism is more about light and shadows, not polycount and materials (these help as well). And we are "getting there" with the new RTX technology. I'd say we are 10 or so years away from "CGI" games.

OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
For me, realism is more about light and shadows, not polycount and materials (these help as well). And we are "getting there" with the new RTX technology. I'd say we are 10 or so years away from "CGI" games.
Shit yeah, I kind of forgot about Ray Tracing, haha. That stuff is gonna be amazing as it matures further and becomes standard.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of films have more complex simulations going on than is feasible to compute in real-time. Disney made a video 3 years back on it.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we are far off still. Looo at TLK. It's simple though, rendering frames takes way more time for CG media.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it had less to do with budget and more to do with the GPU power needed, as CGI is not rendered in real time.

i.e. instead of rendering at 30FPS you render at 0.01FPS.

OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I thought it had less to do with budget and more to do with the GPU power needed, as CGI is not rendered in real time.
Yeah, what I meant is that CGI doesn't really have to worry about how long a single frame takes to render while in turn that is a constant struggle for game developers as they have to keep render times as low as possible.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what you mean by "apart from render budget" here. Render budget is the main reason why something rendered in real time doesn't look as good as baked CGI. If you remove that factor games can look as good as anything.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
That's kind of like asking, other than horsepower and aerodynamics, how much faster is a super car than a regular car?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It's immense, unless you haven't really been engaging with much modern cg. There's some degree of diminishing returns that gives a surface-level similarity, but as excellent and consistent as real-time graphics can look, it's barely in the same ballpark. Ever more so when animation is taken into account.

OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Ok, returning to my initial question, just how much more detailed is Thanos in Endgame compared to, say, Kratos in the new God of War? Gimme numbers on those polycounts and material resolutions.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
CGI is a moving target that will always improve and be better than the latest gaming graphics.

But real time video game graphics are already better than some early CG like Reboot and Toy Story 1.

Oct 27, 2017
You should watch some UE4 vis demos to see where the cutting edge in terms of real-time graphics is. While it is possibel that someone is further in one aspect or another, the overall movie sequence from the troll should be the most advanced in the overall quality/features.

www.youtube.com

“Troll’ from Goodbye Kansas and Deep Forest Films | GDC 2019 | Unreal Engine

During the “State of Unreal” GDC opening session, Goodbye Kansas and Deep Forest Films revealed "Troll," a real-time technology demonstration using Unreal En...

The average movie rig is still way more complex than the game model. Muscle and fat systems which drive something like Pacific Rim monsters, hair for Planet of the Apes, facial animations of Disney character - way beyond games: both because of processing power and because nobody can afford it. You will see those monsters for minutes on-screen, and there will be a team of people working on a single character for a year.

It is not just processing power, the cost of building VFX is in manpower/runtime. Even if you had the infinite processing power machine for gaming, the game still needs at least 10x the runtime looking good with every angle without any manual post-effects or compositing.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
CGI is a moving target that will always improve and be better than the latest gaming graphics.

But real time video game graphics are already better than some early CG like Reboot and Toy Story 1.
In most respects, yes. Overall polycounts and AA is still a huge gap, even with those early CGI movies.

The thing about modern videogames is that they're really really good at giving the impression that they're doing more than they're actually doing.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Animations are also pretty far down from CGI movies in games
Basically, everything is better in movies geometry, textures, GI, AA, animation and more
A single complex frame of Monsters University can take like 29 hours of CPU time to render, games have to render at least 30 of them in a second

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what you mean by "apart from render budget" here. Render budget is the main reason why something rendered in real time doesn't look as good as baked CGI. If you remove that factor games can look as good as anything.

Lol yeah that confused me too.

On point I would say it depends who you ask. People that are interested in the technical side of games / CGI there's still a long way to go but if you show certain games to Joe or Jane Walmart they will say games look largely the same as CGI.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, returning to my initial question, just how much more detailed is Thanos in Endgame compared to, say, Kratos in the new God of War? Gimme numbers on those polycounts and material resolutions.
Kratos in the new God Of War actually looks better than Endgame's Thanos and this is more to do with art styles than horsepower and the fact that SSM are crazily talented bunch; just a notch below Naughty Dog when it comes to technical efficiency though.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I think 10 years is pretty realistic
I feel this too. Look at something like Detroit or TLOU2 when it comes to characters. Still artificial looking but getting there. Imagine the huge leap that's coming with next gen consoles and I see something like Detroit made for next gen will have truly indistinguishable moments from time to time, if animation and everything else is at a top level. The generation after that (10 years).. yeah I can see it possible to be playing games that are verging on Blade Runner cityscapes or CGI rendered humans that look truly convincingly real. It will take time and cost a lot to make games of that level, but it will be possible with the technology that will be around in 10 years time that is affordable for consumers.

Edit: Hell I truly expect some next gen games will be there to be honest. I never expected games of the visual fidelity of Detroit or TLOU2 this gen!

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Kratos in the new God Of War actually looks better than Endgame's Thanos and this is more to do with art styles than horsepower and the fact that SSM are crazily talented bunch; just a notch below Naughty Dog when it comes to technical efficiency though.

Kratos as is would look horrific placed in endgame. Nah...

OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Lol, there's always someone "missing" the point of the thread.

This is only about the nitty-gritty technical aspects, not about which looks better or art direction.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I feel (in my non-expert opinion) that we're 2 console generations away from a real time Thanos that would look indistinguisable to a regular viewer.

It's not just a processing power thing - technologies continue to make visuals like that more efficient to produce. We'll probably be seeing visuals like this before the end of the next console generation. I don't think there's a huge gulf after that.

Last edited:

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, there's always someone "missing" the point of the thread.

This is only about the nitty-gritty technical aspects, not about which looks better or art direction.

Well your question as asked doesn't make sense from a technical perspective as I said, so please clarify what do you mean

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
At least video games have surpassed most PSX and PS2 CGI era visuals.

I remember dreaming about games looking as good as Chrono Cross CGI and we are way further than that.

Dec 25, 2018

Theres probably a low poly version close to Kratos poly count for building the animation, but the the rendered result you see in the movie would be higher res, driven by multiple displacement maps (like bump and normal but sub-divding and moving actual geometry) another thing cg has that has slowly been working its way into realtime is multi-tile udim uv map support where you can have dozens of high res textures plugged into a single material.

though another thing to consider is the render get touched up a ton in composting.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Kratos in the new God Of War actually looks better than Endgame's Thanos
God of War doesn't even have proper looking eye shaders compared to some of the games from this gen. Let alone being even remotely comparable to Thanos.

At least video games have surpassed most PSX and PS2 CGI era visuals.

I remember dreaming about games looking as good as Chrono Cross CGI and we are way further than that.
Not even, we should consider that video games had a fairly low budget for CGI scenes during the PS2 era compared to entire films that were CGI. We're still not touching genuinely good CGI from that era. Let's use KH as an example:
V85PxCj.png

To a trained eye all the limits of realtime rendering are still very apparent despite the massive improvements we've seen this gen.

OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Theres probably a low poly version close to Kratos poly count for building the animation, but the the rendered result you see in the movie would be higher res, driven by multiple displacement maps (like bump and normal but sub-divding and moving actual geometry) another thing cg has that has slowly been working its way into realtime is multi-tile udim uv map support where you can have dozens of high res textures plugged into a single material.

though another thing to consider is the render get touched up a ton in composting.
Would it be an educated guess to say that's stuff that might make their way to game engines in a few years?

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018

Doubtful about that.

Big budget movies have huge teams working on them solely to produce that visual quality.

Its not reasonable to expect devs to match movie quality all while doing the work required to make the game part.

I believe there is a manpower/resources limit too.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose you're talking specifically about characters, based on the discussion. Remember that most visual effects in movies (even big spectacle films like Avengers) are of the more subtle variety, where most people don't even realize that there is CG in a particular shot.

There will be never be a time where games will "catch up". Because as rendering technology improves for realtime games, so does it improve for offline renderers. Thanos would not have been possible ten years ago. It will take us another ten years to catch up to Thanos in games, and by then movies will have moved on to a point far beyond what the PS6/7 is capable of. If you want to see games "catch up", you have to go back ten years or so. Bear in mind we've only just recently finally hit the "Games that look as good as Toy Story" level.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would it be an educated guess to say that's stuff that might make their way to game engines in a few years?

Maybe eventually, but with a significant lag. Toy Story 1 had ray tracing over 20 years ago and we are just getting it in real time now. Plus our ability to make transistors smaller is slowing down so processing gains over time aren't as big as they used to be. It will take a pradigm shift to get to where movies are now imho. Either something like quantum computing becoming real or shifting game rendering to super powerful data centers and streaming the game to get more real time rendering power. Home computing power isn't going to be able to get to current movie tech in real time even in 20 years based on current trends.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Hol up?
What?
If you are talking "art direction" thats fully subjective.

But technically from an objective point of view...this isnt even a hot take, its just bullshit.
End Game Thanos and even CGI trailers of today are night and day.
Thanos is multiple levels beyond anything that can be done in real time......and even CGI trailers from Blur Studios and the like arent up to snuff with Thanos and the Hulk.

The micro details alone arent achievable in real time.
Even if you forced matters and put a relatively high poly model with all the microdetails added....either you would drop res or drop frames nothing "playable" would be achieved....and thats without building the "whole" scene.

In terms of real time rendering......we arent even close to cinema quality CGI.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Doubtful about that.

Big budget movies have huge teams working on them solely to produce that visual quality.

Its not reasonable to expect devs to match movie quality all while doing the work required to make the game part.

I believe there is a manpower/resources limit too.

While this is a fair point, there are medium budget movies with high quality CGI on a relatively smaller budget, that still has the benefit of having virtually no time constraints for rendering. And there are movies with huge CGI budgets that still end up having godawful CGI (like the Black Panther ending fight scene) so budget isn't everything.

Alien Covenant (trash movie, but visually incredible) had a budget of less than 100m.

A very simple example is the particle cloud at 1:45-2:14:

A particle cloud takes very little in terms of person-power to render as there is very little artistic license to it, but rendering that many particler in a real-time game would not be possible currently.

Last edited:

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
But that's intrinsically tied to the compute budget. You could make a Kratos model that looks that good but you never would (unless you're Game Freak I guess) because you know you eventually have to render it in real time so doing so would just be a waste.

While this is a fair point, there are medium budget movies with high quality CGI on a relatively smaller budget, that still has the benefit of having virtually no time constraints for rendering. And there are movies with huge CGI budgets that still end up having godawful CGI (like Black Panther) so budget isn't everything.
There are some guys in the industry that talked about this on their Youtube channel and claimed that the reason the final battle looks so bad is because the VFX house only got the footage six weeks before the deadline. So it kind of was time constraints.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
suppose you're talking specifically about characters, based on the discussion. Remember that most visual effects in movies (even big spectacle films like Avengers) are of the more subtle variety, where most people don't even realize that there is CG in a particular shot.
This is something that people sorely sorely miss. Like people complain about Black Panther getting nominated for a best visual effects award, but those same people have NO idea how much of that film is even comprised of CGI that they didn't actually know was CGI.

People don't seem to realize that it's not just about the CG spaceships, energy shields, power suits, and holograms.

Well we've surpassed Black Panther's CGI at least
No, we haven't.

OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
But that's intrinsically tied to the compute budget. You could make a Kratos model that looks that good but you never would (unless you're Game Freak I guess) because you know you eventually have to render it in real time so doing so would just be a waste.
Yes? That's not my point tho. I know there are differences and why they exist, I just want to know how different they are in terms of numbers and other technospeak.