• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
how long does each session last? I'm thinking this might be a good morning substitute for my running outside during the winter. Can you do a 30 minute session and then resume another time?

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
how long does each session last? I'm thinking this might be a good morning substitute for my running outside during the winter. Can you do a 30 minute session and then resume another time?

Yup, you can basically do as long as you want. Each level takes about 5-10 minutes or less, and you can quit and save your progress any time on the world map.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm interested in getting this at some point since I like the idea of exercising at home, though I currently live in a second floor apartment, and apparently have downstairs neighbors that are very sensitive to sound, so I try to avoid activities that would cause a lot of noise on the floor. I heard this game has a 'silent mode' which sounds very appealing to me assuming the exercises really can be done quietly without too much floor movement (and hopefully still remains an effective workout that way).
Definitely interested in looking into it more, as I really do need some better ways to get more active in my life.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
It's great. It's a great tool and workout gamification. I wouldn't say it's the best Nintendo IP since Luigi's Mansion at all tho, that's crazy talk. It's a nice package and neat and very fitting implementation of existing ideas like having in-game and anthropomorphic personification of your irl-controller as your buddy, guide and tool/weapon. The accessory is great and works very well, it's packed with content, polished and offers great variety of exercises. Love it.

But you could change everything from artstyle to story to characters to mood and you'd still end up with RING FIT ADVENTURE. There's little inherently specific to this IP that Nintendo could not reproduce with just the Ring-con, RFA's flow and intent but with a totally different coat of paint. It's pretty generic stuff.

Pikmin is Pikmin, yo.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
You just completely sold me on this, with the winter months coming up and not always having the time to make it to the gym with grad school, I've been looking for some indoor workouts to be able to do. This sounds so much fun and like it could scratch that addictive personality itch that I need to keep myself motivated haha.

I used to LOVE Wii Fit back in the day, I worked out nearly every day with it for a few months. So I'm glad to hear that this is a worthy successor.

This is MUCH, MUCH better than Wii Fit.
Mind you, I loved the balance board and enjoyed Wii Fit and WF+ a bunch.
This, this one will give you a REAL workout.

You'll sweat. You'll be dripping if you do it well. You'll do a morning or after-work 30min session and I bet you'll be sore the next day, all day, at least for the first couple weeks.

Wii Fit would never be enough exercise to get you fit unless maybe for people suffering severe obesity that any little thing counts, RFA on the other hand, put enough effort in it and it'll will give enough of a workout to improve the condition of anyone but the hardcore kind.

I've been enjoying it as a supplement to my gym workouts. However, if you think you're going to lose weight or put on some muscles, this game isn't it.

It's great for building up stamina and toning the muscles you already have. I hope they can innovate in the future with a version that uses weights.

I mean, it feels weird to me I have to explain why what you're saying is inherently false, considering how obvious it is, but there you go:

You can lose weight doing stretching, running on the treadmill, doing squats, push-ups and abs. Then stretching again.

Literally that is enough, with diet of course that goes without saying, to get in much better shape and lose weight.

Ring-Fit can give a better workout than the routine I mentioned above.

You most assuredly CAN and WILL lose weight with RFA if you use it well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's great. It's a great tool and workout gamification. I wouldn't say it's the best Nintendo IP since Luigi's Mansion at all tho, that's crazy talk. It's a nice package and neat and very fitting implementation of existing ideas like having in-game and anthropomorphic personification of your irl-controller as your buddy, guide and tool/weapon. The accessory is great and works very well, it's packed with content, polished and offers great variety of exercises. Love it.

But you could change everything from artstyle to story to characters to mood and you'd still end up with RING FIT ADVENTURE. There's little inherently specific to this IP that Nintendo could not reproduce with just the Ring-con, RFA's flow and intent but with a totally different coat of paint. It's pretty generic stuff.

Pikmin is Pikmin, yo.

I mean, IP includes the gameplay and mechanics. It's not just the graphics/setting/story. By best new IP in ages (again, just my opinion of course) I mean this is the best game which happens to be a new IP that they've put out in a long time, since before Pikmin even.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I mean, IP includes the gameplay and mechanics. It's not just the graphics/setting/story. By best new IP in ages (again, just my opinion of course) I mean this is the best game which happens to be a new IP that they've put out in a long time, since before Pikmin even.

Yes, and I'm saying that with such a big part of the whole being derivative and/or generic, there's no way this is even close to meticulously crafted IPs like Pikmin or Splatoon.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Been planning on picking it up but I'm also a tight wad and was hoping for a sale during the holidays. May just have to use my GCU for 20% off before it expires early Dec.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I really like this game but hoping for some 'power user' tips as in I want to use the standard reps mode as part of a core workout.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I'm amazed how well leg strap and ring-con register your movements. There are few issues with some yoga moves though as it doesn't always register the height correctly. If there's one real problem, though, it is that you press screenshot/video-button sometimes too easily accidentally. It is an issue when doing an ab guard or rowing the boat.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, games like this are great for new
comers, hopefully it will help you transition into a proper gym or workout area, that is if you want to.

A game in Kinect (forgot the name, it was a nike game) actually helped me shave off 10kg and pushed me to start going to gym and running and thus to a healthier lifestyle. It helped me not only physically but mentally as well. It got me off my depression and gave me the body that I want.

i'm really interested in this game, and i'm assuming i'll eventually get it. but is it worth it for someone who consistently goes to the gym all the time? i'm assuming it'd be more of a supplement to the gym, but am i going to find it too easy? how's the resistance of the ring?
Could be a great cardio workout but not strenght/resistance at least not properly? Not sure though

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to get it, do they do a digital copy with the ability to have the ring shipped separately? I think that was an option in Japan.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think these types of games are great for getting people interested in exercise. back in 2012 or 2013 i got super into just dance (lol) and moving around so much encouraged me to get into other exercise stuff.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this OP I need to lose about 15lbs so this should help. Liked your write up this seems like something I'd like with it's RPG elements. Ordered it from Amazon.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really want to get it, do they do a digital copy with the ability to have the ring shipped separately? I think that was an option in Japan.

Sadly no, at least right now. It's one of the very few things annoying me about the game but since you already have to set up things up, changing the cartridge isn't that big deal.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You just sold me on this much more than the cheesy advertising!

Great write up! I'll be picking this up in the coming weeks.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and I'm saying that with such a big part of the whole being derivative and/or generic, there's no way this is even close to meticulously crafted IPs like Pikmin or Splatoon.

Once again, as I've clearly stated this is just my opinion. I was never a huge fan of Pikmin or Splatoon, especially the presentation/art style.

On the other hand I do really like that stuff in Ring Fit. The enemy designs especially are great, and I even love the Ring character's design. Especially when he bobs his head back and forth when you're getting ready to squeeze smoothies. The story is very cheesy but also charming. And also full of puns which is right up my alley. The music as I've said is absolutely incredible.

The only things that don't really wow me are the human character designs (well, outside of the four masters) and the actual level visuals. The levels look fine but they're pretty bland visually to me.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
You made me even more excited OP. I bought the game on Amazon yesterday, it will come in two weeks lmao.

I want to excersice so badly, as I can't do it where I currently live, so having this game will help me a lot before I move out of here. I never thought that I would be buying a game like this and be excited about it.

Dec 31, 2017
Sorry to say Op, but nothing will substitue a real session at the gym or on a treadmill. Those games that "train" you just give you the illusion of training. Unless combined with a heavy diet I'd highly suggest spending 30-45 minutes at a gym and see real progress than playing a game and having the illusion of getting fit.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Really surprised this turned out to be a good game. I kind of dismissed it.

Same with Luigis Mansion. I got that for my kids and I was really surprised how good that game turned out to be.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I couldn't agree more. I've always had trouble maintaining a regular exercising regiment because of how damn boring it can be. This game is a godsend, completely occupying my mind while I work out my body. It's really, really good.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to say Op, but nothing will substitue a real session at the gym or on a treadmill. Those games that "train" you just give you the illusion of training. Unless combined with a heavy diet I'd highly suggest spending 30-45 minutes at a gym and see real progress than playing a game and having the illusion of getting fit.

As someone else said in this thread, the best workout you can do is the one that you are motivated to do regularly. Like I said I've tried several different gym memberships but I can never stick with it long term. This is different.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Additional stuff: the ring is way more sturdy than you would think and it is not a cheap plastic toy for kids. It seems that it has some more resistance than the average Pilates ring you can buy. Basically its almost kind of a premium sports equipment that usually go for $30+ on their own.

Also the victory poses are serious business. DO YOUR POSES! They really feel satisfying.

Oct 28, 2017
Would you recommend this game for someone that previously wasn't working out at all? I'm 6'1" and about 300-305 pounds, to give you an idea of how out of shape I am. How is the lowest difficulty setting? I am working on my diet, but I need to move around more.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
I think what I love about the Game the most is how much difficulty settings and possibilities there are. With the intensity level from 1 to 30 where you will find something that fits for nearly every fittness level. And on the RPG side the Game will be even decently long if you skip every optional Stuff and do everything underleveled which could make the RPG Part itself as challenging as you want it to be. In the middle of Game you get an ability that makes it possible to Skip normal encounters which can help you to manage overleveling if you want to. And you get different Power levels of each Exercice (For example Squats as a lvl 1,2,3 or 4 move) and you don't lose the ability to use the weaker versions if you want to.

Which makes it very easy to make a more challenging Playthrough after you finish the game. And I think that could help to make it interesting for even longer.

Another great thing about the different Power Levels of the Exercices is that the stronger Versions have a longer recharge time which means later in the game you will be forced more and more to have a good variaty of exercices. (and at the end you will have total of 10 exercices in your set insteat of 6)

One of the things I wish they would add for a sequel is that you can set the intensity for each exercice and not just in general. Because sometimes I would like to put the intensity higher, but I am scared of doing so because of some of the harder ones.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This was the next game I was going to get after I finished death stranding, but OP is doing a great job convincing me to get it even before that.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Would you recommend this game for someone that previously wasn't working out at all? I'm 6'1" and about 300-305 pounds, to give you an idea of how out of shape I am. How is the lowest difficulty setting? I am working on my diet, but I need to move around more.

I've never tried the lowest setting, but the difficulty settings basically just affect how many reps you do for each set and sometimes how long you need to hold a pose or move. I'd imagine the lowest difficulty setting shouldn't be too hard for you for most exercises but things like squats night be really tough at first regardless of the amount of reps. Thankfully you're not required to do a ton of squats early on, but later you are expected to.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Can you guys (or does the game) suggest an area to play this game?

Id love to try this.... but right now in front of my TV is my bed so Id need to move the tv to the other room but that room isnt very big either

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I can't overstate how much I love that they made this an RPG. Grinding in the game and getting XP gains means getting real gains in real life; it's the perfect way to trick me into working out harder than I otherwise would.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017

I weight about 270 pounds and a little bit smaller than you, and I started with the difficulty at 16. I don't think it will be problem to find a difficulty that fits you. And it has options that you can do stuff with buttom presses if some things wouldn't be physicaly possible for you.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I weight about 270 pounds and a little bit smaller than you, and I started with the difficulty at 16. I don't think it will be problem to find a difficulty that fits you. And it has options that you can do stuff with buttom presses if some things wouldn't be physicaly possible for you.
Heck, I weigh around 200 and started lower than that at 12, though I'm up to 18 now. The game is very accommodating to your individual level of fitness.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
I pressed the order button 2 hours ago.
Couldn't resist much longer getting it, like I posted earlier.
I'm looking forward to exercising, now. I know it's something I need to do since a long time ago.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017

Naw it's the real deal. Unless you want to say pilates rings and push ups / sit ups / crunches and yoga is all BS.

If they had a DLC / add on that let you use dumbbells the game would be able to let you build muscle better, but not everyone's goal is to be "ripped." I mean sure most people want that, but simply being more flexible or having less back pain or whatever may be someone's goal, and this game can certainly achieve that and people have posted that in the OT.

Like mentioned, a gym membership does nothing for me. Even if I was paid $10/hour to go to a gym, I'd still get nothing from it because I hate going to gyms. HATE IT. The wasted time driving to one, the atmosphere there, and more, it just is a total non option for me.

I've had real success working out at home, and using gamification to assist with working out. Stuff like this and Zombies Run is the real deal. And there's been quite a few actual body builders / dancers / whatever that gave the workouts from this on the hardest settings their endorsements (I've only been getting back in to it at 15/30 difficulty so it's only been light/moderate workouts, but I fully believe if I switched it to 30 / 30 I'd be unable to move).

I personally find the whole package in RFA to be the best gamification workout I've ever tried, second to Yourself Fitness! (though that one doesn't really have the same hooks and needs more dedication but gets lots of extra points for letting you incorporate lots of real body building equipment) and Zombies Run! which is essentially just a legit running work out - you're literally running (or walking/jogging) outside for miles and miles.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I got it for 53 Euro which is a steal. I actually do not play the game that often (not because it is not great, but because I do not like showering during the day and you really need to take a shower after this game! :). However, I grab the RingCon multiple times a day and do 30 hard presses, which really fucks up my arms in a good way. Great exercise tool, even without booting up the game!

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Also, the little details in this game are really impressive... custom cool downs after exercising based on the kinds of exercises you did, the ability to select targeted groups of exercises easily (posture, legs, upper body, etc), random option for people who tend to avoid / favor exercises and want a more unpredictable experience, all the different tips and information, and just the way you interact with the game using the ring is great and definitely takes it beyond what you normally see in gamification - combined with easily the deepest RPG/game elements in any product to date.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I've scoffed at every "exercise" related videogame I've seen, but Ring Fit looks like fun.

Glad to hear OP's had some success with it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly no, at least right now. It's one of the very few things annoying me about the game but since you already have to set up things up, changing the cartridge isn't that big deal.
It's less about having to switch carts and more about people living in places where physical copies are just too expensive or just don't exist - like me. This is why I ended up spending $140US on this game. Importing stuff is expensive.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This is really cool to read. I'm so used to gamers immediately baring their teeth at anything with motion controls or anything that might be considered a "gimmick." Glad folks are enjoying this one, because it looks super interesting to me.

...but why do I live in a third-floor apartment? I don't wanna do that to my neighbors.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping to find it soon, looks like a lot of fun. I already loved Wii Fit and this + RPG mechanics sounds awesome.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
This is really cool to read. I'm so used to gamers immediately baring their teeth at anything with motion controls or anything that might be considered a "gimmick." Glad folks are enjoying this one, because it looks super interesting to me.

...but why do I live in a third-floor apartment? I don't wanna do that to my neighbors.

There's a quiet mode that replaces the jogging with light squatting but IMO jogging is more fun and less work haha. The silent mode is way harder for me, but still a nice option. I'm on the 2nd floor, and on a thick 2" everlast mat my jogging is pretty silent, I still wouldn't do it past 11pm, but anytime before that and it definitely is muted enough that I don't see it as an issue for me. The mat also is nice for some of the yoga.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
There's a quiet mode that replaces the jogging with light squatting but IMO jogging is more fun and less work haha. The silent mode is way harder for me, but still a nice option.

Yeah, I know, thanks though. I'd also wanna jog -- totally agree that it looks more fun. Interesting that the silent mode is harder, though, that's actually kinda appealing.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's less about having to switch carts and more about people living in places where physical copies are just too expensive or just don't exist - like me. This is why I ended up spending $140US on this game. Importing stuff is expensive.

Sire but tha wouldn't help you in this case cause you'd still have to get the ring con and legstrap somehow.