Second one was okay

I don't even remember the third one so I need to rewatch it again

Wonder how Disney will treat the IP now that it is under their umbrella

OP
OP
CorpseLight

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
When I saw that in the cinema on it's original release, a good whack of the audience yelled out "YEEEEEEESSSSS!" at that scene.

Power of cinema, guys!
the "oh god, puhleeze" feeling of the lame callback line was the perfect setup

the murder-serious response ripped me the fuck outta my seat
Still one of my favorite theater memories. I saw an early matinee and everyone else in the theater was like me, we all just wanted to beat the heat and get some AC for two hours. When that happened the theater was dead silent for like ten seconds and then someone up front said "SHIT!"
Fucking insane in the theater. You could hear the audience breathe in deep.
I was sure this movie was going to be shit but I absolutely loved it. Still my favourite of the three tbh.

When this moment happened the cinema fell completely silent nobody moved a muscle. Really good shit.
One of the most memorable audience reactions I've experienced in a movie theater, for sure.
Yes. Same here. In that moment, you could feel all the oxygen get sucked out of the theater, and no one expected it.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
These movies should be up there with Star Wars and LOTR in terms of respected film trilogies. It's frankly astounding how good they are.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
It would be so easy to make the typical heroes and villains - but in these films, each character is nuanced. They have proper motivations.
It's why I held off on calling him a villain. He's such a rich character you can sympathize with even if you see him doing objectively shitty things.

Same goes for the Colonel in War.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
That scene was ruined for me by the fact that the idiot with the taser started swinging it at him like a baton.

I immediately thought "Why is he swinging it instead of using it?" when I saw the movie the first time.

No one would do that, they would use the taser, to...you know...tase. Made no sense to quit using it as a taser and just start swinging 🤣 . Had to set up the moment somehow though. Obviously, I let the thought go after a few seconds. Just made me kind of laugh at how dumb it was.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
Fantatstic trilogy. Rewatched the first one with my gf recently. I jokingly referred to it as "Animal Abuse: The Movie" beforehand, but yeah, oof. I forgot how awful the humans actually were. It's been hard to convince her to watch the second one lol (despite her also thinking it was excellent).

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty good summation of most's reaction to this movie/the trilogy.

They had apes riding horses and holding rifles, and you could easily take it all seriously
Yeah I had no interest in watching this but my cousins wanted to watch it so I ended up seeing it in theaters. That moment had me and the whole theater audibly gasping. Legit jaw dropping moment and of course I ended up watching the rest of the trilogy in theaters on my own,

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes, I remember all the cinema went silent at that moment. Not that people were talking or nothing but you know, silent silent. It was an impressive moment for sure.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Such an under-the-radar trilogy. One of the best ever.

And they look AMAZING in 4K UHD Dolby Vision. Particularly #2 and #3.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the trilogy. This moment and the beginning of the second movie are things that are etched into my mind.

This moment in particular is the only time I ever remember feeling a room full of people holding their breath. It's weird to me that I haven't felt it in other movies because on the face of it, it isn't - that - special. I guess it was just well crafted in a way that's hard to explain.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Never seen this movie, but having seen the original 60s (?) movie, the parallels of catching the hit, the iconic line the actor shouts, and then the shock of seeing the ape speak compared to the reversal reactions of the original movie........

Just wow.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
It's to bad he will always be known as Malfoy and this type of casting is probably all he was ever going to get. Dude seems talented. Probably one of the best child actors in that series.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Crowd at my showing went D: whoa D:
It was a really cool moment, that trilogy is fantastic
Honestly expected it to be garbage but they exceeded my expectations

Oct 27, 2017
From that moment specifically all the way to the end of the third movie, you got one of the best movie trilogies in modern times.

TimeDevourer

Feb 24, 2018
I remember really disliking the 3rd one for some reason in theatres and haven't seen it since.

Love Rise and Dawn though. Dawn especially is one of my favourite movies of all time. The pacing in it is unmatched!

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Great trilogy, but I somehow keep forgetting what happens in the two sequels. Plus the similar titles keep making me mix up the order of the films.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I remember watching it at home with the family, we were all just shocked, frozen.

AceStrimmer

Feb 12, 2021
That scene was ruined for me by the fact that the idiot with the taser started swinging it at him like a baton.

I immediately thought "Why is he swinging it instead of using it?" when I saw the movie the first time.

No one would do that, they would use the taser, to...you know...tase. Made no sense to quit using it as a taser and just start swinging 🤣 . Had to set up the moment somehow though. Obviously, I let the thought go after a few seconds. Just made me kind of laugh at how dumb it was.
I think that's the point - Malfoy is a complete incompetent who can't stand his job. Why would he bother to learn how to do it properly?

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
That scene got a huge pop from the audience in the theater I saw it in.

The whole trilogy is just so we'll done and superbly entertaining.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Are these streaming on any of the platforms available in the states? I saw the first one with my brother years ago, and then just didn't keep up.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I guess I should watch this trilogy. I only remember watching the original one with Charlton Heston and being mindfucked at the ending reveal with the Statue of Liberty.
Which films in the franchise should I consider?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need to rewatch the 3rd one. I was pretty underwhelmed by it when I saw it in theaters, but everyone else seems to dig it.
I was a liiiiiitle bit underwhelmed as well, but because I love Dawn so much. One of my favorite sequels of all time.

But War is great, and has such a fantastic OST.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I've watched the first two, but really can't remember too much about either. Might be time to try and pick up all three on blu-ray at some point.

I still remember this scene though. It really is well-done and a standout of the decade.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
First one was great

Second one was okay

I don't even remember the third one so I need to rewatch it again

Wonder how Disney will treat the IP now that it is under their umbrella
Third one was just an okay film about war and internment camps imo. The fact that there were hyper-intelligent apes was kinda tangential. The CGI was amazing though.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
Incredible moment. I was in a packed theater I think we all expected a popcorn flick. When that moment happened it was dead silence. I think everyone in the audience got goosebumps. Never experienced anything as powerful as that again.

Such a great build up.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
This thread reminded that Telltale inspired game that came and went a few years ago

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I think I saw the middle one? Never really caught these and I'm not sure why. I need to find out where they're streaming.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Time for a rewatch, I guess. Great movies.
I think the first is really underrated, despite Lithgow going a bit over the top and Franco being Franco.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
It's a fantastic trilogy. One of the best reboots I can think of.

I would like to see them tackle Planet of the Apes proper as well, but if it doesn't happen I'm happy with what we got.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
some of the best blockbusters in a minute. really enjoyed this trilogy. especially the second movie.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I have such vivid memories of that scene. Was in a packed IMAX theater when it happened and the theater was pin drop quiet up to that scene then the crowd lost it. Was beautiful.