RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most underrated film trilogies of all time, and up there to be considered for most consistently excellent trilogy of all time.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this trilogy is absolutely amazing (even if the third one falters in some respects) and really underrated.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
wait fucking WHAT

This was 2011? Rise feels so much more recent that that. I can't believe it has been ten years.

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
I wish the third film hadn't felt so hemmed in by its age rating. It was clear from the aesthetic and imagery that they were going for a holocaust allegory but couldn't commit to it for a variety of sensible reasons. But just because it had been set up like that it seemed weird that the evil military regime is so kindly keeping the captive apes alive for no reason.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This trilogy was better than it had any right to be.

I've always liked planet of the apes movies, even the shitty sequels to the original and the mark Walberg movie. There's just something about the property that intrigues me. But the latest trilogy is just all around great.

Oct 26, 2017
This is the only scene from a movie that I've watched within the last 10 years that made me feel genuinely shocked in the theater, and it still gives me goosebumps today, when not many movie scenes do.

As was described earlier in the thread, the scene was set up so perfectly; you get that cringey "damn dirty ape" callback which makes your eyes roll, and drops your guard. And then that "NO!" hits you like a freight train, it's so good.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
I remember clearly seeing this in the theater and at that moment there was an audible gasp from the whole audience.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the trilogy a few weeks ago, and this scene still gave me chills.

The whole movie sort of pauses for a second, as all the characters are doing exactly what the audience is doing, jaws dropped.

q4core

Feb 26, 2021
DMV
I love how it mirrors Charlton Heston's first words to the apes in the original. Both are amazingly built-up moments.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reaction of the caged ape is too good not to be a gif
Animationc2b412dc091676e7.gif

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Yah all three were surprisingly good, for sure - although i can barely remember the third one. Need a rewatch

Oct 27, 2017
I was a big fan of the OG but never saw this one. I saw a scene where Mark Whalberg was kissing an ape and thought it was stupid. Might have to watch it some day.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having a cheesy callback to the original movie be immediately followed by the huge shock of that moment was a bold choice, and executed perfectly.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Rewatched these films with the SO recently.

Fuckin' astounding trilogy. Not just action blockbusters but genuienly smart and with something to say.

The way it manages to make powerful deep narrative moments out of stuff that could otherwise be hilarious is a testament.

I'm not surprised they didn't do well because they released inbetween brightly colored superhero movies and are almost relentlessly slow but by god are they great.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
This was the second big movie I worked on. Had a lot of fun doing previz on this. Also holy crap where did 10 years go :(

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Really wish these were streaming. I saw the first a while back on a plane ride and liked it more than I ever thought I would but hadn't got to the others yet.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This is by far my favorite movie theater moment.

You could FEEL the silence and tension in the room in a way that even the first A Quiet Place couldn't provide.

And the sequels are so good. (Apart from the marketing of War)

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the "nooo" sounding like a cartoon villain makes the scene really silly imo

i laughed when it happened in the theater

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Rise of the Planet of the Apes is one of my favorite movies. TOTALLY not what you would expect from the name / history of the franchise. Even the music is great. And most of the movie *doesn't* involve talking apes.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Legit top 3 trilogies of all times for me. It's so unfortunate I can't convince my friends to watch it. They keep thinking it's gonna be cheesy but I have to assure them it's straight edge. I'll try again.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Loved all three film's but the first especially is amazing. The CGI in broad daylight was amazing at the time as well.

That part though was definitely a wow moment.

cheese toast

Oct 29, 2017
The first one was great, the second was phenomenal. Yet I haven't seen the third, kind of out of a Dark-Knight-Rises fear that it'll be a limp end to what was set to be a solid trilogy. Is it?

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great trilogy and I loved watching it when it came out. Nowadays I couldn't tell you Jack shit about what happened in it. I can't say it was super memorable. People asking about why it's understated or overlooked, I think the naming conventions of each movie didn't help it.

zill pickle

Sep 30, 2018
That scene was ruined for me by the fact that the idiot with the taser started swinging it at him like a baton.

I immediately thought "Why is he swinging it instead of using it?" when I saw the movie the first time.

No one would do that, they would use the taser, to...you know...tase. Made no sense to quit using it as a taser and just start swinging 🤣 . Had to set up the moment somehow though. Obviously, I let the thought go after a few seconds. Just made me kind of laugh at how dumb it was.

In my head, he swung it because he was scared to use it. He's an asshole, but they're still apes lol. I'd have trouble hurting a pigeon, and I hate birds. (Because they frighten me😭)

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I need to rewatch the 3rd one. I was pretty underwhelmed by it when I saw it in theaters, but everyone else seems to dig it.
The 3rd one is the weakest of the three and it directly followed the best film of the trilogy so I can see how you might be underwhelmed. It was still good just not as good. Plus I feel like the CGI was also a step down.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first one was great, the second was phenomenal. Yet I haven't seen the third, kind of out of a Dark-Knight-Rises fear that it'll be a limp end to what was set to be a solid trilogy. Is it?

I put off watching it for the same reason, but it ended up being a satisfying end to the trilogy. It wasn't quite as good as the second movie, but it was certainly not a weak ending like Dark Knight Rises and Spider-man 3.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It's a damn good moment. I think I saw this movie in the theater during a daytime show in the Summer where the audience consisted of a few kids/elderly people, so it wasn't quite a holy shit moment because of the context of that. But I imagine watching this in a packed crowd would have been an experience.

The trilogy as a whole is enjoyable, but the first movie is excellent. All three films feel really different from one another, despite narratively picking up where the last one left off they almost feel like different genres. Because of that I think I was always kind of disappointed with the second and third movies on some level, but mostly because they weren't really what I thought I was going to get going in to the trilogy after the first movie.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Great scene, great movie, but the thought of squaring up with a chimpanzee, even with a cattle prod, that's just asking for trouble.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
A couple of years ago I did a Marathon of the Planet of the Apes and saw the new trilogy for the first time, so you know I was waiting for this moment after watching Escape again.

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
It's a masterfully executed scene that was especially amazing to see in theaters. The entire trilogy is absurdly good.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. There hasn't been any other scene I've experienced in theater that stunned the entire audience into complete, body-clenching silence.