• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Robin Williams's Mork & Mindy co-star has said he repeatedly grabbed her breasts and bottom and exposed himself to her on the set, a new book reveals, but she excused it as part of Williams's playful personality.

"I had the grossest things done to me by him," said Pam Dawber, who played Mindy. "And I never took offence. I mean I was flashed, humped, bumped, grabbed. I think he probably did it to a lot of people … but it was so much fun."

Williams would also wrestle her, break wind on her and come on to the set totally naked. He also once "goosed" an elderly woman playing Mindy's grandmother by poking her between the buttocks with a cane.

Source: https://amp.theguardian.com/film/20...roped-flashed-me-on-set-mork-mindy-pam-dawber

Pam downplaying as "is only Robin being Robin" is basically "it's only men being men". Glad society has changed not to accept this shit.

It's hard to know Robin was sadly part of the problem.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't doubt some weird stuff went down in the Mork and Mindy era. This was about the same time we was hanging out with John Belushi and was at the height of his cocaine addiction

JackFrost

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
While there are many lessons to take away from stories like these, the one that resonates with me the most is that people are complicated, there is no black or white, and never to jerk it in front of someone.

Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Victim blaming. Reporting sexual harassment is not an unfair "attack".
There's nothing quite like attacking a man when he'll never be around to defend himself.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
Robin was also a serious drug addict and alcoholic at that time and was deeply regretful of much his behavior later in life.

Doesn't excuse it, but worth remembering.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Is the goto move to show people their junk a power display? To say I can do what I want and you can't say a damn thing about?

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
What kind of drugs was he on back then? I loved that show, but coming on to the set naked reeks of more than a guy making unwanted advances. The whole thing feels like somebody with absolutely no inhibition control. If anything, this shows Hollywood's history of enabling its stars to get away with anything and everything. No matter how much I loved Robin and Mork and Mindy, he should have been fired for that kind of behavior.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Don't know if I'm comfortable with this thread,especially the title if Pam herself had no problem with it.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
This was Cocaine-era Williams. Not surprised.

His standup back then was pretty unhinged too.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Product of his time where hijinks like this were treated as normal?

I mean Im sure if he was reprimanded for that behavior like we do now.... who knows what his reaction would have been

Not defending it but I have come to accept that we have entire generations of people we grew up with where cultural "norms" of the 60s/70's/80s/ and so on allowed for this shit to be brushed under the rug and only reflected upon now that our newer society has evolved to expose it

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of drugs was he on back then? I loved that show, but coming on to the set naked reeks of more than a guy making unwanted advances. The whole thing feels like somebody with absolutely no inhibition control. If anything, this shows Hollywood's history of enabling its stars to get away with anything and everything. No matter how much I loved Robin and Mork and Mindy, he should have been fired for that kind of behavior.
Robin had a coke and booze problem for a veerrrry long time.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He actually admitted to stuff like that in previous interviews. Not excusing him of course, but he said a lot of his more outlandish behavior was a result of the massive amounts of coke he was doing at the time. Once he got clean, he supposedly became more more introspective and started behaving.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Williams had been open about his bad actions and mental state during that era due to alcohol and drugs and manic depression to the point of considering suicide even that early on. He was pretty open about his bad behavior so, while disappointing to hear this, it's also not surprising considering other stories he's openly shared.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
He would grab, fart, flash and poke people in the butt with a cane..."but it was so much fun."

Huh. Clearly gross behavior but the odd context here is that she found it enjoyable and fun. I have more conflicting feelings than I thought I would.

Is it wrong that I would be way more upset if we found out that Williams was doing this stuff ten years ago?

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Robin had a coke and booze problem for a veerrrry long time.

He actually admitted to stuff like that in previous interviews. Not excusing him of course, but he said a lot of his more outlandish behavior was a result of the massive amounts of coke he was doing at the time. Once he got clean, he supposedly became more more introspective and started behaving.
Yeah that's what I suspected. Thanks. I'm glad he was able to kick his coke habit, but it's a shame that he could never quite kick the alcohol or escape the demons of his depression.

MBeanie

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I can see really risqué behaviour like that being passable in the 70's, still not acceptable behaviour though.

There's nothing quite like attacking a man when he'll never be around to defend himself.

By attacking, you mean a journalist compiling a biography of Williams which included excerpts of people who worked with him on his behaviour, including the director of the show Mork & Mindy.

Also, everyone says they loved working with him including his costar, so this is not so much of an attack as its a reflection of his life the good & bad.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised to hear of antics by Hanks during his Bosom Buddies and Bachelor Party days.

Hell, I bet we'll hear of problematic behavior regarding Kimmel during the Man Show.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this is what their particular relationship was like and they had a mutual understanding about what they felt acceptable, then okay.

It's okay for her to be comfortable about her own situation.

If RW was just randomly doing this to all his co-casts who didn't feel the same way, then it's a different story.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hes had been quite open about this type of behaviour and his issues and addictions during the 70s and 80s. Doesn't excuse his actions of course, but it can help explain them. I think he grew a lot as a person after.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
So she says it was fun and yet people are offended on behalf of the greater good?

Flashing and groping people on set is not appropriate behaviour for a professional actor, whether others tolerated it or not doesn't really matter.

Robin Williams was had serious substance abuse and mental problems for much of his career and frequently behaved badly, he's been honest about that in the past. I think he was a kind person but one who often lost control of himself. Generally it seems people enjoyed working with him despite his flaws.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to note, if Robin Williams was alive today, I don't think he'd take this as an attack at all, judging from past interviews.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
If this is what their particular relationship was like and they had a mutual understanding about what they felt acceptable, then okay.

It's okay for her to be comfortable about her own situation.

If RW was just randomly doing this to all his co-casts who didn't feel the same way, then it's a different story.
This.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Does it excuse him sexaully harassing her? and she says he did it to others as well? Pam also calls it disgusting.
Yeah it was gross behavior and it sounds like he recognized it as such when he got clean. People can recognize disgusting behavior without saying that he was a bad person. This stuff should be brought to light not to shame the perpetrators but to prevent this from happening in the future.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Yep that sounds like what someone who lived on a steady diet of coke during the 70s/80s would do. Glad Dawber could say her piece and RIP to Robin Williams. I expect most comedians/actors from the era were pretty lascivious towards women