Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
We all got problems though, unless he was judged to be physically incapable of controlling himself though he's responsible, and if he literally could not control himself he should not have been out in the world.
He also openly acknowledged his demons and did his best to make amends for them as well as apologizing for his behavior in the past. This seems to be the part you keep glancing over.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We all got problems though, unless he was judged to be physically incapable of controlling himself though he's responsible, and if he literally could not control himself he should not have been out in the world.

Well that's a whole other conversation, because he was diagnosed with mental illness - constantly in therapy, rehab, AA and getting help...and he was always aware of it and his own thoughts and actions were not in the best interest for him and the people around him. So who's to say what he could and couldn't control when the end result was him unable to have control and finally going through with suicide after 40 years of always thinking about it and able to have control over it? He understood the consequences of actions as well as anyone suffering from manic depression and bipolar disorder could until he couldn't anymore.

misho8723

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I mean if their relantionship was like that of very close friends and both were comfortable with this kind of stuff, I think that's was their stuff.. I have a close female friend who pinchs me in the ass sometimes but she knows I found that funny and I'm totally ok with that.. of course, this stuff is different in different situations and such and it can be a thin line between messing with friends and everyone is one the joke and a situation which can be way, way worse for a co-participant in all that.. in this example I think if they were all ok with that, nothing bad happened

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
He also openly acknowledged his demons and did his best to make amends for them as well as apologizing for his behavior in the past. This seems to be the part you keep glancing over.
That's good! That is what I would expect base level out of any decent human being. I am glad he did that. I don't know what you want from me, I feel like maybe because people liked him or empathize with his struggle or demons they feel personally attacked or really defensive when he's called out, I never said "Robin Williams is a bad person", and if I did think that, who cares? Good people can do bad things, it's still not okay, Respectfully, I don't have time to entertain excuses for problematic behavior from rich and famous white men in Hollywood, even if people really liked them or they were very good at what they did, I'm of the mind we can close the book on that. If you disagree, I respect that.

Well that's a whole other conversation, because he was diagnosed with mental illness - constantly in therapy, rehab, AA and getting help...and he was always aware of it and his own thoughts and actions were not in the best interest for him and the people around him. So who's to say what he could and couldn't control when the end result was him unable to have control and finally going through with suicide after 40 years of always thinking about it and able to have control over it? He understood the consequences of actions as well as anyone suffering from manic depression and bipolar disorder could until he couldn't anymore.
That's a possibility, the guy could have been completely unaware or out of control, sure. If that's the case, I'm wrong, I'll have to own that. I'm just over giving the benefit of the doubt.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could see that happening with the drug addiction at the time. At least he recognized his behavior and addressed it, I bet if he met her again years later he would have apologized and try to make amends.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
My friends and I regularly greet each other with surprise groping. I'm not cool with being groped by random people, but as a joke between friends I find it funny. This sort of relationship really isn't that weird. I don't know how this is so hard for some people to understand?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I had the grossest things done to me by him," said Pam Dawber, who played Mindy. "And I never took offence. I mean I was flashed, humped, bumped, grabbed. I think he probably did it to a lot of people … but it was so much fun."

QLomV.gif
well yeah, it was consensual. I dont know why some of you are weirded out about this. Some of my female friends are like this.

I feel you shouldn't take her words at face value though. Outright saying Robins assaulted her would inevitably lead to major backlash against her given both how beloved he is to this day and that he passed so long ago.

wait no what

Oct 27, 2017
Well I mean...she said it was fun. Kind of weird to start off my saying "the grossest things", but she doesn't seem particularly bothered

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If this is what their particular relationship was like and they had a mutual understanding about what they felt acceptable, then okay.

It's okay for her to be comfortable about her own situation.

If RW was just randomly doing this to all his co-casts who didn't feel the same way, then it's a different story.
Yeah for real. The behavior is childish and very much indicative of his life choices at the time, but how she's talking about this seems like she's just gossiping about how they would fuck around. I'm saying that with the context of the quote, without it I can totally see why people would be aghast. I can't really get up in arms for someone who is ok with it themselves as far as I can tell.

That said, I'm glad that this kind of childish behavior that people would see as 'boyish', isn't as easily accepted anymore.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I mean it sounds like he didn't directly address anything specific he did, but he did multiple times make note he wasn't proud of who he was in the past in later interviews. And this is the only woman who's come forward to say anything and she seems actually fine with it at the time? Or at least has forgiven him and looks back on it fondly. For now, my take is that obviously it's horrible behavior but it seems like he recognized this and tried to better himself. Coke does shit to you man.

Now if someone else comes forward and intimates such behavior made them feel attacked....... that's a different story.

And yes definitely, if anyone tries to harass Zelda over Twitter for this in either case, they're an asshole and should fuck off.

If this is what their particular relationship was like and they had a mutual understanding about what they felt acceptable, then okay.

It's okay for her to be comfortable about her own situation.

If RW was just randomly doing this to all his co-casts who didn't feel the same way, then it's a different story.
Good post, fully agreed.

Deleted member 18568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading the detail this is pretty shitty, and honestly I don't see the problem with highlighting it as bad behavior (in context of the original author's statements).

Robin Williams himself clearly recognized this was out of line and apologized for his antics in the 70s, and I can't see him from up above having a problem with this being part of a contemporary cautionary tale about how good people can do shitty things sometimes.

Deleted member 18568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's shitty about 2 consenting adults having some fun?

Exposing yourself in the workplace isn't a good precedent to set. I'm glad the actress wasn't offended, but you can't make that assumption for the vast majority of co-workers. "Consenting adults" implies advance permission.

I say this as pretty much the first person here to call bullshit on the whole #notnolan campaign.

Oct 25, 2017
The use of the word consenting in this thread is strange. Makes it sound like they did it to each other, when it was really just him doing it to her and her not minding. That's some "well, she didn't say no" shit.

Again, for the 100th time, not condemning the guy, but also not giving a pass to problematic behavior.

Feb 6, 2018
The use of the word consenting in this thread is strange. Makes it sound like they did it to each other, when it was really just him doing it to her and her not minding. That's some "well, she didn't say no" shit.

Again, for the 100th time, not condemning the guy, but also not giving a pass to problematic behavior.
Thats a silly analogy. There's an ocean of difference between "I didn't mind at all. It was so much fun" and "Well she didn't say no".

It's not up to anyone to give the behaviour a pass other than the people who were there.

Oct 25, 2017
Thats a silly analogy. There's an ocean of difference between "I didn't mind at all. It was so much fun" and "Well she didn't say no".

It's not up to anyone to give the behaviour a pass other than the people who were there.

That wasn't an anology.

There's also a world difference between I never took offense and I enjoyed it. Way to ignore the ellipses in her quote.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I am in my 30's. I grew up in a time where some people say this kind of behavior was more accepting. But I never once thought it would be a good idea to grab ass or whip out my Dan Rather. Or for fuck's sake walk into a professional setting buck ball ass naked. It's like some people grew up in an alternate reality.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Dude was an interesting character. Despite catching a few rerun episodes of Mork & Mindy way back in the day (which was called Mork from Ork in Germany) I wasn't at all aware of his celebrity status of the 70's and 80's (if you're not into gossip and don't follow celebrity news then all you know about those people are the movies they've played a role in).

Was it ever unveiled to the public what the source of his depression and drug abuse was or is that unknown?

Feb 6, 2018
I am in my 30's. I grew up in a time where some people say this kind of behavior was more accepting. But I never once thought it would be a good idea to grab ass or whip out my Dan Rather. Or for fuck's sake walk into a professional setting buck ball ass naked. It's like some people grew up in an alternate reality.
I wouldn't jump into a communal shower with my coworkers at the end of a day's work but professional athletes seem to do so in 2018 without incident.

That wasn't an anology.

There's also a world difference between I never took offense and I enjoyed it. Way to ignore the ellipses in her quote.
LMAO @ calling someone out for not reading into something that wasn't there.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
If the lasting sentiment was "fun", then it probably was more "funny gross" than "harassment gross", which I'm fine with. Also it was a different time and the boundaries weren't the same, I imagine his own boundaries adapted as he grew older and the times changed.

Deleted member 21380

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
1.) The guy killed himself
2.) He suffered decades of depression
3.) He was a raging cocaine addict back then and an alcoholic til he died
4.) He extensively talked about this while he was alive, tried to atone for his actions while he was on drugs and suffered from his conscience
5.) The person telling the story was completely ok with his actions and found them to be funny

These are all reasons to not make that a thing years after. This is not a #meetoo event. There's no reason whatsoever to shit on the guy NOW of all times.

This is my opinion.

Deleted member 21380

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Dude was an interesting character. Despite catching a few rerun episodes of Mork & Mindy way back in the day (which was called Mork from Ork in Germany) I wasn't at all aware of his celebrity status of the 70's and 80's (if you're not into gossip and don't follow celebrity news then all you know about those people are the movies they've played a role in).

Was it ever unveiled to the public what the source of his depression and drug abuse was or is that unknown?

Depression does not need a source. It can be, however, the source for drug abuse, because people tend to try to self medicate.