delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Roblox, a popular digital playground similar to communities like Habbo Hotel and games like Second Life, has hit a new milestone — 100 million monthly active users. The company celebrated by released an exclusive, limited-edition accessory for players, which can be redeemed for free.

"Roblox began with just 100 players and a handful of creators who inspired one another, unlocking this groundswell of creativity, collaboration, and imagination that continues to grow," CEO David Baszucki said in a press release today.

To compare, Minecraft has 91 million monthly active players, according to Microsoft. The game has seen a recent uptick in interest thanks to more YouTube creators, like Jacksepticeye and PewDiePie devoting lengthy videos to gameplay sessions. New tools, like ray tracing, also caught the interest of players who had walked away from the game. Other factors, including a new weekly series called Minecraft Monday from YouTube creator Daniel "Keemstar" Keem, have helped to bring Minecraft back to the forefront of gaming conversation.

Looks like Roblox and Minecraft are doing well.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Roblox is one of those games that's never even been on my radar and yet it's absolutely fucking massive.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If one is at 100 million and the other is at 91 million I don't know if they're competing against each other as much as both thriving.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My 2 younger sisters and their friends play this religiously. I can confirm, it's popular amongst the young ones.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Kid market is so huge, I wonder why console makers aren't doing more effort for this.
And yeah, around where I live, I never ever heard of this game.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It's weird that 100 million people can play something that can seemingly have no popular culture impact (besides I think a few quick-to-clearance toys from a few years back?).

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I rememer people calling it a Minecraft ripoff when Roblox predated Minecraft by a couple years

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I wonder if that Planes VS Planes level is still around.

I used to have a blast on that, flying to the enemy's base with this massive battleship, nosediving it, then jumping out with the parachute and going hog wild.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Roblox is one of those games that's never even been on my radar and yet it's absolutely fucking massive.
I have still to this day never even seen a screenshot of Roblox and I have no idea what kind of game it is, compared to Minecraft which I saw everywhere and I'm perfectly aware of what it is despite never playing it myself. And yet Roblox is just as huge. It's kinda funny

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
44sNtB.gif

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Kid market is so huge, I wonder why console makers aren't doing more effort for this.
And yeah, around where I live, I never ever heard of this game.

It really is crazy to me that more big publishers haven't tried their hands at games similar Minecraft/Roblox. These sorts of games that allow the player to be creative are huge hits for kids.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I always watch my niece playing it, but I just don't get it. What do you do in that game besides role play?

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Wow, really? I didn't know that. I may have to download it and check it out just to see what it's like, I've never played before.
I used to play around 07-9 but there's been a huge shift in the userbase. It's incredibly young. It's now more a children's game unless you want to make money by having a popular game which caters to them.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
My daughter can't stop playing this game. She is so deep into it. It's like a little community of it's own.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep my kids play this allll the time. Try to convert them to Fortnite but they go back to this.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
To this day I still have no idea what Roblox is supposed to be. I guess I'll look up some youtube videos.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Another uncle here with both nephew and niece playing this on a daily basis. Didn't know about this game before seeing them play it.
They mostly roleplay, build and farm stuff.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that 100 million people can play something that can seemingly have no popular culture impact (besides I think a few quick-to-clearance toys from a few years back?).
Reminds me of those daycare pbs YouTube channels that you probably don't know exist yet they have music video level views

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
My kids and step kids play roblox. I hate this game but i understand why its popular.

Its for kids. Its absolutely nothing like minecraft.

Its user made mini games, often imitating already made games. But its really really basic gameplay wise. Most games are just running around avoiding traps, running around killing other players, or really really basic life sim games. Some games are violent but theres no blood. Its the most basic ass braindead boring gamepay i have ever played, but for young kids it is easy to play. My kids sometimes ask me to play a new roblox game with them, and i do, but they mostly play exactly the same as the last minigame. But the kids enjoy it

Mostly kids like it cause its really really basic and easy to pick up and play. Its not really punishing, games are short, and theres a fuckton of different minigames, although many are similar gameplay wise.

There is a little creativity if you get into actually making minigames, but i think most kids just play the games.

Its free to play but you can buy robux with real money to buy cosmetics in the game. Some minigames use robux to buy better weapons, like revolvers in a knife throwing game. My step kids used to ask me for robux all the time, but no way. Their dad would buy the $50 robux cards every weekend and they would update their outfits in tha game. Alot of the purchases are linked specifically to individual mini games, but my kids changed mini games that often it really doesnt seem worth the money.

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Anyone who has kids or young siblings/relatives knows how big this game is with kids. Not surprised at this number

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
Been volunteering with kids the last 5 years and Roblox has consistently been the game they're all crazy about its fucking nuts.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
My daughter loves this game. It never leaves the Xbox most played list and syncs progress across pc, tablet, and console.
HeWV03Z.png

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised so many have never heard of it. The game has been around for over a decade (released back in '05). I remember trying it out back when I was in middle school.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Its user made mini games, often imitating already made games. But its really really basic gameplay wise. Most games are just running around avoiding traps, running around killing other players, or really really basic life sim games. Some games are violent but theres no blood. Its the most basic ass braindead boring gamepay i have ever played, but for young kids it is easy to play. My kids sometimes ask me to play a new roblox game with them, and i do, but they mostly play exactly the same as the last minigame. But the kids enjoy it

Mostly kids like it cause its really really basic and easy to pick up and play. Its not really punishing, games are short, and theres a fuckton of different minigames, although many are similar gameplay wise.

There is a little creativity if you get into actually making minigames, but i think most kids just play the games.
I can see the appeal then.. kind of like getting Warcraft 3 and then just playing a bunch of dumb custom maps, which I spent many many hours on. Sure there were some complex competitive ones like DotA, but there were also a ton of really basic ones