Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Never even heard of this game that's crazy
Came to say literally the same.
Well it's old as hell but it's always been targeted towards little kids IIRC, unlike Minecraft. I heard about it when I was in middle school, but never really thought it was any good. But it's up to whatever stuff people make in it. There's a remake of DOOM in it that works really well. Like, mimicking the actual DOOM engine, not Roblox characters in DOOM levels.

It's most similar to Garry's Mod, I think.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Well it's old as hell but it's always been targeted towards little kids IIRC, unlike Minecraft. I heard about it when I was in middle school, but never really thought it was any good. But it's up to whatever stuff people make in it. There's a remake of DOOM in it that works really well. Like, mimicking the actual DOOM engine, not Roblox characters in DOOM levels.

It's most similar to Garry's Mod, I think.
Interesting I thought it was a new game that just popped off

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that 100 million people can play something that can seemingly have no popular culture impact (besides I think a few quick-to-clearance toys from a few years back?).
It does have a pop culture impact, you just didn't notice it because you're in a different pop culture bubble.

Some of y'all have got to realize the World doesn't always revolve around you.

katagai

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember my 8-year-old cousin showing me a million different "Who's that Pokemon?" quizzes on there a few years ago. Then he'd instantly get bored of it, switch to some poor man's FPS deathmatch game, get bored of that and start showing me some horrible videos on Youtube that he definitely shouldn't have been watching.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
It's weird that 100 million people can play something that can seemingly have no popular culture impact (besides I think a few quick-to-clearance toys from a few years back?).

Its played by mostly the under 13 year olds it seems, they have little presence in forums, websites, marketing, yet are still a huge group of people that are quietly forgotten by older gamers and media

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
I love this kinds of threads cause you can tell with pinpoint accuracy who doesn't interact with kids on a day to day basis.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's all about the obbys, obstacle corses with really shitty platforming, and tycoons which are games with resource collection and building.

Then there is kind of a kidified GTA called Mad City.

The youtubers we've come across are Kevplays and DenisDaily, both are much better than the super dull DanTDM.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It does have a pop culture impact, you just didn't notice it because you're in a different pop culture bubble.

Some of y'all have got to realize the World doesn't always revolve around you.
That's a little harsh but I do agree. Kanye has a dang music video that references this game so it definitely made it mainstream to a point.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I remember my 8-year-old cousin showing me a million different "Who's that Pokemon?" quizzes on there a few years ago. Then he'd instantly get bored of it, switch to some poor man's FPS deathmatch game, get bored of that and start showing me some horrible videos on Youtube that he definitely shouldn't have been watching.
This is far too accurate

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
My daughter's favourite streamers - itfunneh & TheKrew - are all 4m+ sub streamers & mainly do Roblox & MC content.

My daughter nearly lost her shit when they have her a bday shout out last year lol

She seems to spend lots of time farming for IGC which then gets spent on skins & accessories, which she then uses to win in-game fashion shows with other users.

She's pestering for the monthly sub so she can start on level creation...

I suspect there's a huge crossover in the two audiences tho - almost all the kids at school play both games.

Robochimp - my little boy loves Denisdaily! I'm always impressed how well he speaks to his audience, keeps it clean & so on.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This ain't Avatar :v

It has memes, communities, a big fandom, and all, but it's way outside of the Era bubble.
7bebd780af88468b3cf21d6e09368cc31e20a3e5_hq.gif

Maybe in a few years it will get (a horrible) Hollywood adaptation :v
FNaF is getting one (hopefully entertaining) by Chris Columbus. So maybe for Roblox we'll be hearing more about when the target audience grows up.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's one of those games that is always at the top of most played list but the audience is so young you don't really see posts about it on forums. It's crazy to me that there hasn't been a huge company like Microsoft that bought the game yet. I'm sure they have been approached and perhaps they just weren't interested.

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
I tried to get into Roblox in 2011. I was too old for it even then. My little sister and her friends used to love that shit.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly didn't know much about it until this thread. Sounds cool to me, another game that encourages creativity.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Don't even know how it looks like but can confirm, it's big with the young kids, my niece is into it.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I always watch my niece playing it, but I just don't get it. What do you do in that game besides role play?
I mean there's a battlefield clone, pubg, gta, there's a shitload of unique minigames that I've seen people create on roblox.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My kids play. The games have come a long way recently. There is a decent fortnite clone, a good FPS game, tons of role play type games, a psuedo theme park tycoon game, animal simulators...kinda crazy.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
I taught my 5yo daughter well... she absolutely hates roblox and i couldnt be more proud lol... its one of those "im too old/what even is this" type games, but im glad shes into stuff like minecraft. Or lego superhero games... ill play those with her all day every day.

Actually shes going hard in Just Shapes and Beats... and holy shit is that game hard! Its pretty much all she plays right now XD.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of my friends have kids in the age range of 8-12 but none of them have heard of it and their kids don't play it. But Minecraft and Fortnite are both huge. What age group exactly is this popular with?

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Government should slip in a minecraft tax while people don't notice.

Oct 28, 2017
My kids play the hell out of this and watch other people play it on YouTube. Theyre always carrying on about "Obbys" which is short for obstacle course.

Most of these levels are a certain type of copyright infringement hell. Mario themed with smash mouth blasting in the background while woody and buzz are plastered all over the place.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Roblox is insanely big. Like, it's on a whole other level compared not only to just about any other game, but other major sites for certain ages.
comscore-hours.png

comscore-visits.png

Bear in mind these are from over a year ago, and it has only grown bigger since. It's valued at more Minecraft was when SM bought it.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Lots of my friends have kids in the age range of 8-12 but none of them have heard of it and their kids don't play it. But Minecraft and Fortnite are both huge. What age group exactly is this popular with?

I'd say 6-12. Surprised your friends kids never heard of it? My kids are 10 and 11 and have been on it for 4-5 years. I never even showed them, they showed me.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems to be a concise one that also touch upon the build aspect:

Like, you play hide'n'seek, there's Murder Mystery where you try to survive a hidden murderer, a JailBreak game, one where you have to survive natural disasters, all multiplayer. Like an MMO Mario Party or something :v
Is there a video that explains generally what you do in that game?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
My friends young daughter plays this and Minecraft a lot. It's crazy how ubiquitous Minecraft is yet Roblox is borderline a ghost from a merchandising and advertising standpoint from what I've seen.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
My kids and step kids play roblox. I hate this game but i understand why its popular.

Its for kids. Its absolutely nothing like minecraft.

Its user made mini games, often imitating already made games. But its really really basic gameplay wise. Most games are just running around avoiding traps, running around killing other players, or really really basic life sim games. Some games are violent but theres no blood. Its the most basic ass braindead boring gamepay i have ever played, but for young kids it is easy to play. My kids sometimes ask me to play a new roblox game with them, and i do, but they mostly play exactly the same as the last minigame. But the kids enjoy it

Mostly kids like it cause its really really basic and easy to pick up and play. Its not really punishing, games are short, and theres a fuckton of different minigames, although many are similar gameplay wise.

There is a little creativity if you get into actually making minigames, but i think most kids just play the games.

Its free to play but you can buy robux with real money to buy cosmetics in the game. Some minigames use robux to buy better weapons, like revolvers in a knife throwing game. My step kids used to ask me for robux all the time, but no way. Their dad would buy the $50 robux cards every weekend and they would update their outfits in tha game. Alot of the purchases are linked specifically to individual mini games, but my kids changed mini games that often it really doesnt seem worth the money.

The image that's forming in my head about this game is that it's a cross between Minecraft, Garry's Mod, and Mario Maker simplified for kids. Am I anywhere near accurate?

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds about right

My siblings used to be obsessed with Minecraft

Now they're only obsessed with Roblox

I'm surprised it's not on PS4 or Switch. Especially PS4.

They need to keep it that way tbh

If Roblox got released on PS4 I'd NEVER get to use it (or the TV) ever again lmao

I rememer people calling it a Minecraft ripoff when Roblox predated Minecraft by a couple years

Huh, I never knew Roblox was that old

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
That sounds about right

My siblings used to be obsessed with Minecraft

Now they're only obsessed with Roblox

They need to keep it that way tbh

If Roblox got released on PS4 I'd NEVER get to use it (or the TV) ever again lmao

Huh, I never knew Roblox was that old
It's been a thing since around 04-05 I think

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
I finally get my hipter moment. I played this game before it was cool.

"Cool" meaning as massivw as it is.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a thing since around 04-05 I think
Yeah, seems it's 15 this year, including its beta. So about 5 years older than Minecraft Alpha. AFAIK it was already pretty big in 2008 based on what I hear around school then. Back then my friend called Minecraft a Roblox ripoff! Seems like it started really really growing in popularity (again?) around 2015 to 2016 though, I think.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
The image that's forming in my head about this game is that it's a cross between Minecraft, Garry's Mod, and Mario Maker simplified for kids. Am I anywhere near accurate?
No. Nothing like minecraft or mario maker. More like Garrys Mod or Dreams only the "creator" aspect most kids will never use. Its not really a creative game for the majority of the user base. Its more like an endless number of very similar, very basic unfinished braindead minigames.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It is very weird how prolific that the minecraft brand is compared to this game. I wonder how Roblox was marketing itself such that I barely knew about it 2 years ago despite its size back then.

It is also weird that considering what it is Roblox doesn't seem like to have a more mature audience. The core tools allow for basic creation but at some point as these kids want to challenge themselves as they get older what is preventing them from digging deeper into the programming tools.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never even heard of that one. Must be getting old.