• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
They made a top 100

Rolling Stone said:
"I'm right over here, why can't you see me?" Robyn might as well have been singing to U.S. pop audiences in the 2000s, who mostly ignored her as she spent years refining her bright, fizzy synth-pop sound to perfection. Then came "Dancing on My Own," the killer single that elevated her to something approaching voice-of-a-generation status among America's burned-out youth. Written and produced with fellow Swedish ace Patrik Berger, it's a relatable hit of heartbreak at the club, with a chaser of empowering uplift — exactly the disco anthem we needed in the long hangover of the subprime-mortgage crisis. And while she's no torch-song diva, Robyn sang the hell out of this one, sounding as warm and human as the precision-engineered track isn't. "Dancing on My Own" just kept building as the 2010s went on, soundtracking a memorable scene in HBO's Girls and countless karaoke nights across the nation. "All the big pop acts that I've been into over the years — whether it's ABBA or Prince — managed to combine amazing melodies and honest human emotion," Robyn told one interviewer. "But coming out of the super-super-commercial pop industry in the Nineties, maybe people forgot about the fact that pop music can do both of those things." —S.V.L.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm an old man because clicking on the video on the OP is the first time I can recall hearing it.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
It's an absolute banger and a pretty good choice.

This song came up as a surprise last song at a wedding I was at recently - it brought the house down.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah it really is. Robyn slaps.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I'm an old man because clicking on the video on the OP is the first time I can recall hearing it.

It's generally under appreciated and unknown for the casual mass audience, but it is very influential in regards to what ended up being the sound of pop music for most of the decade.

Having said that, I don't really like the song much nor the EDM sound of the decade, so... Can't agree with this one.

For me, it probably goes to:

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea this song was from this decade lol. I thought Robyn was some mid 2000s artist who fizzled out

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Look at the joy.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That does absolutely nothing for me. Sounds cheesy and a little soulless if I'm being honest.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kacey Musgraves in the top 10 with Follow Your Arrow is amazing. She really pulled in the gays with that song and became a queer country superstar.

That does absolutely nothing for me. Sounds cheesy and a little soulless if I'm being honest.

That album basically inspired everything in the pop and electro space for the past decade. Robyn is far from soulless and a class act.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
If they had said 100 best pop songs I wouldn't have a problem with that list but looking through the top 20, yikes! Lis Nas X at 12 is all I needed to see to confirm my disgust.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised Grimes - Oblivion didn't make top 10, for many years it was regarded as the best song of the decade in these lists.