Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I wanted to make a thread about this game, because I jumped into it on a whim. At first I thought the characters looked a little silly, but my buddy told me he'd buy it if I did and we just wanted to take a break from Apex Legends, so we both decided to give it a shot.

Since then it's been my new addiction. It's the most fun I've had on a multiplayer game this year. It's one of those games where it feels like its mechanics are really innovative, and yet I wonder why we haven't seen more games like this before.

If you haven't played it I'd describe it as a blend of Overwatch, Smash Bros and Quake. It's a hero shooter, where your trying to knock your opponents out of the arena, with a focus on using rocket launchers.

For me, the combination just works. Racking up damage on someone only to get that final blow and blast them out of the arena is just as satisfying as getting a headshot sniper kill in Overwatch or smashing someone out of the arena in Smash bros.

It's an EA original game so it's made by a small team.

Yes, it does have microtransactions and a battle pass. No it doesn't have lootboxes. Aside the battle pass items, everything in the game is unlockable in game, and there's a tonne of stuff that you can play to unlock. The unlockables feel fairly paced, rewarding you for playing different characters with extra skins and other cosmetics. There are no pay to win elements of the game.

I should also address the possibility that this game might just be another Battleborn. A game with a small community that dies out a year or so after release, and it might be, that's a possibility. But for me, it's a lot of fun, and I've already enjoyed some 20 hours of gameplay with Rocket Arena, so I think it's worth taking a chance on.

In any case, I just wanted to spotlight this game. I'm really loving it, matchmaking is instant and everyone is learning at the same time so it's the best time to jump in if you're curious.

If you have it already or end up getting it, then feel free to hit me up on PSN. It has cross play too but I usually keep cross play off.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I was interested in this game and was planning to try the game until I found out that I have to pay 30 dollars to play the game plus season pass as well.

It's become tough pill to swallow. Plus it's harder to convince my friends to get it as welll.

I would love to play this game tho but I'm glad you are enjoying the game.

How is the gamebase population?

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If it was F2P or on PS+ I'd play it. Not interested in dropping $30 on a multiplayer only game atm when I have so much other stuff to play.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I was interested in this game and was planning to try the game until I found out that I have to pay 30 dollars to play the game plus season pass as well.

It's become tough pill to swallow. Plus it's harder to convince my friends to get it as welll.

I would love to play this game tho but I'm glad you are enjoying the game.

How is the gamebase population?

I don't know. I get games instantly on PS4, I keep cross play off. I would suspect it'd be performing better on consoles than on PC (as games like Battleborn kept a healthy community on PS4 for a long time after PC and X1 died out) but hard to tell.

$40 CAD
+ Season Pass
+ MTX

fuck that.

It's only cosmetic MTX for stuff you can easily earn in-game. When I saw the store I had that reaction too, but it's no where near as bad as it seems.

For the price you get a fair heft of content, and if you don't want to pay for the battle pass, you never have to.

I think the upfront cost for the game is fair. You get a lot right out of the box. If you compare it to say, a game like Paladins, where you buy each character individually (or unlock them all for an upfront price), then I think it fits with most other games on the market.

I think moving forward if they don't want to make it truly free, then they'll probably need to look at a system like that, where you unlock the characters or you can pay the full price to unlock them. I don't like the idea of the dev simply giving it away, they're an EA Originals team, I think this is one of their only original titles.

Last edited:

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Same boat as others, the entry fee just turned me off in a time when there are other sweet games coming out

Jun 5, 2020
The reason I didn't buy the game is because of the thread title. "the best shooter that you're not playing." Why would I purchase an online-only game that hardly anyone is playing? Once the servers inevitably go down, I essentially no longer own the game.

If LAN play and custom matches were supported, I would definitely consider it.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Gameplay looks fun, the "nobody get hurt/it's just a game" is refreshing too and low key starting to be important for me. But those chara designs are so bland I can't convince myself to buy it.
This kind of game as a service live and die with the characters. I can't imagine anyone making a fanart of such off brand heroes.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
The switch from first person to third, and free to play to a paid product kind of made this game a hard sell for me. I love the concept and the gameplay is right up my alley as I played tons of pharah in overwatch and really enjoy the mechanics/skill of airshotting, but $30 seems kind of steep for what the game is offering atm.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Rocket Arena - Steam Charts

An ongoing analysis of Steam's player numbers, seeing what's been played the most.
258 - playing 17 min ago
329 - 24-hour peak
613 - all-time peak

It looks good but I haven't picked it up myself due to the small playerbase and I doubt it's ever going to go higher than this without some sort of intervention.
It has crossplay with Origin and the consoles so you can't just look at these numbers.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks really good but I have zero interest in buying into a game that barely has an audience now and might not have any players at all in 3 months' time.

Oct 31, 2017
Should've gone with the F2P+MTX cosmetics model. I didn't even know it existed until I checked Origin yesterday.

TGM3

Oct 26, 2017
It has crossplay with Origin and the consoles so you can't just look at these numbers.
Given that Steam often makes up the majority of the numbers on PC and we've got absolutely no idea of the console numbers, and never will, I don't see how you can use any other numbers to give some sort of estimate of the playerbase. It's pretty safe to say that the numbers are fairly low and the launch month is typically when the playerbase is at its highest. It's hard to count on console crossplay when a lot of people turn the option off too.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
No FP2 is so weird with this game.. they will never take off with such a high price for a casual game like this.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks really cool, but it seems EA just sent it out to die. I've heard basically nothing about this game.

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like the exact kind of game is going to be dead within 6 months and I ain't planning on dropping $30 to experience that.

6 months is me being charitable.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
It looks fun, but appears to be niche on PC. Reading how people are just going to turn off cross play just turns me off all together.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Given that Steam often makes up the majority of the numbers on PC and we've got absolutely no idea of the console numbers, and never will, I don't see how you can use any other numbers to give some sort of estimate of the playerbase. It's pretty safe to say that the numbers are fairly low and the launch month is typically when the playerbase is at its highest. It's hard to count on console crossplay when a lot of people turn the option off too.

The game is available on EA Premier Access so anyone who subs has the game and the console player base actually seems sizable.

With crossplay turned on I find ranked games at US prime time in less than 30 seconds. I see a nice mix of all platforms.

Like I get it but the game is extremely playable. Match finding isn't a problem.

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
No way in hell am I paying for a game that has a battlepass and MTX. Thats F2P fremium crap.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I was interested since it was first announced but I'm worried about the size of the community. Is it popular enough?

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

Rocket Arena - Steam Charts

An ongoing analysis of Steam's player numbers, seeing what's been played the most.
258 - playing 17 min ago
329 - 24-hour peak
613 - all-time peak

It looks good but I haven't picked it up myself due to the small playerbase and I doubt it's ever going to go higher than this without some sort of intervention.

Yeah, it's not so bad, considering that it's cross-play with other consoles as well.

I don't know. I get games instantly on PS4, I keep cross play off. I would suspect it'd be performing better on consoles than on PC (as games like Battleborn kept a healthy community on PS4 for a long time after PC and X1 died out) but hard to tell.

Yeah, BattleBorn lasted like 3-4 years from top of my head. Thanks both of you! :)

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
30/40 bucks + Battlepass + MTX may be a little much to swallow for many.

The battle pass is essentially included if you buy the $40 version but regardless of that the Battle Pass is cosmetics only and you can currently earn almost every cosmetic by just playing the game and even if you couldn't, they're only cosmetics.

I legit do not understand why people are annoyed with it. If you just want to play the game, it's $30. The battle pass/MTX do not affect you - all characters & non-cosmetic content are included for everyone and do not need to be bought past the initial price.

Meanwhile, Rainbow Six: Siege gets to cost $20 ($30 if you want a not super grindy version) and sell Season Passes and sell Battle Passes and sell MTX and sell boosters and forces people to grind for characters for a long time if they don't spend money and is immensely popular.

Kinda lame.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'd really like to try this, but I've seen too many great online multiplayer games turn into digital ghost-towns soon after launch to risk the 30 bucks. I know that this also kinda makes me part of the problem. The whole scenario kinda sucks.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait for it to go F2P. Don't feel too bad about this bombing on launch when they come out so aggressively with microtransactions.
At this rate it won't take too long.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'll wait for it to go F2P. Don't feel too bad about this bombing on launch when they come out so aggressively with microtransactions.
At this rate it won't take too long.

I don't think they've been aggressive with microtransactions at all? It has microtransactions associated items that you can buy in game currency, all of the in-game currency prices are reasonable... you can easily get a few skins per day.

At the moment I couldn't even buy anything with real money if I wanted to, because I've bought everything available in the store with in-game currency...

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I got an email from EA about it a week or two ago. First I had ever heard of it. I was planning to download it soon but I figured it was F2P. Since it's not, I likely won't ever try it.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
EA really fucked them over with the pricing and model of the game. Gameplay looks fun but....yeah.

D-Soo

Nov 1, 2017
I really tried to play this game but I just am bad at it. Lots of the games i played involved teammates dropping out as soon as we start losing and just me getting juggled by rockets before i can do anything

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
For those complaining about the microtransactions, this is the in-game store. It rotates a few cosmetics every few days, but as you can see I already have all of these unlocked with in-game currency. You can unlock everything on the storefront with just a little playtime, the only thing you have to pay for is the battle pass.

DQk64BL.jpg

The battle pass itself costs 950 coins, and if you complete it, gives you 1500 coins. So it's fairly generous, you can buy the next battle pass having only completed some of the previous.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
The day the game came out Twitch streamers were giving out free keys for this on Origin, Xbox One, and Steam. I was able to get a key for it on Origin and it's neat but I wouldn't have paid $30 for it. I'm betting most of the numbers of people playing are from the free keys they gave out on the first day.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Sorry but there are multiple things that works against it.

1. It looks niche with little hope of a strong community so investing in it is hard.

2. Add to 1 that it costs money and has MTX. Meanwhile I can play Fortnite, Warzone or Apex for free. They are different gameplay wise sure, but I am still enjoying those games so why would I move away?

3. This is me being petty: I have played actual Rocket Arena back on the day and this is nothing like that.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Paid and with a battle pass is a huge miss for me. I'd give it an hour or two if they ever make it F2P.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Signed.

These types of games should always be f2p in 2020. Apex has been. massive success I don't see why EA wouldn't got he same route.

Apex sells you characters piecemeal, same with most free to plays. If you pickup Apex right now you have to grind for maybe 2 months to unlock the extra characters. Apex also has very aggressive monetisation, with lootboxes and ÂŁ100+ events. Everything in Apex is weighted to you paying money for the game or missing out. Heck, if you don't spend money on the game you're at a competitive disadvantage compared to other players when you start out, with better gun skins and more character options (e.g. Watson is meta, but not unlocked by default).

I do think the game would do better as a free to play, but I don't think it necessarily should be free. If the developers believe they can offer everyone a better experience if they sell the game with an upfront cost, then I think that can be the right decision.

Last edited:

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
I tried this over the weekend and had fun. I played maybe 6-10 matches. It's easy to pick up, has good UI, good controls, good performance.

I only tried it because I have Origin Access Premier and I feel like it was a huge mistake making this a paid title.

I'll likely not go back to it because I know I won't be able to convince anyone I play with to buy it. If it was FTP I think it's a good enough game to gather a decent audience.

GuiltyGB

Apr 6, 2020
Apex sells you characters piecemeal, same with most free to plays. If you pickup Apex right now you have to grind for maybe 2 months to unlock the extra characters. Apex also has very aggressive monetisation, with lootboxes and ÂŁ100+ events. Everything in Apex is weighted to you paying money for the game or missing out. Heck, if you don't spend money on the game your at a competitive disadvantage compared to other players when you start out, with better gun skins and more character options (e.g. Watson is meta, but not unlocked by default).

I do think the game would do better as a free to play, but I don't think it necessarily should be free. If the developers believe they can offer everyone a better experience if they sell the game with an upfront cost, then I think that can be the right decision.
Yeah I agree with everything you say mate.

Maybe they should provide a starter fp2 pack like doa6 did.

Yeah I agree that a dev should always have the choice it's just they are competing in a tough market. Especially with an art style like that. I just showed this to my daughter and to her the connotations are that the game must be f2p because of the visual design.

Game looks great though, I'll defo add it to my list of games to check out thanks for making this thread. :)

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
The battle pass is essentially included if you buy the $40 version but regardless of that the Battle Pass is cosmetics only and you can currently earn almost every cosmetic by just playing the game and even if you couldn't, they're only cosmetics.

I legit do not understand why people are annoyed with it. If you just want to play the game, it's $30. The battle pass/MTX do not affect you - all characters & non-cosmetic content are included for everyone and do not need to be bought past the initial price.

Meanwhile, Rainbow Six: Siege gets to cost $20 ($30 if you want a not super grindy version) and sell Season Passes and sell Battle Passes and sell MTX and sell boosters and forces people to grind for characters for a long time if they don't spend money and is immensely popular.

Kinda lame.
Yeah, it's not fair, but when your game got Fortnite graphics, people will expect Fortnite business model.

A few questions though :

- Is the game 60 FPS on base console ?
- Is there a "lone wolf" mode where arranged team is not possible, or you can be matched with arranged team opponent when being in a random team ?

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's not fair, but when your game got Fortnite graphics, people will expect Fortnite business model.

A few questions though :

- Is the game 60 FPS on base console ?
- Is there a "lone wolf" mode where arranged team is not possible, or you can be matched with arranged team opponent when being in a random team ?

I'm playing on a PS4 Pro so I can't answer. I'll ask in the OT for you since someone there might be on a base model PS4. I would imagine so though.

There's no lone wolf playlist, though I will say that this game doesn't require the same level of coordination as something like Overwatch. You don't need to sync up your ultimates or anything like that. Your team kind of just does well if they play well individually.