OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
3v3 only...? Doesnt look really fun and those characters look terrible.

Yeah it's 3 vs 3 only. The arenas are small and it actually ends up being incredibly action packed. Despite the team size, it's much more busy than something like Overwatch, because the arena's keep the action flowing from match start to end.

If you don't like the look of the gameplay though, you probably won't enjoy it. For me, shooting someone with a rocket, trajectory guesswork and such, is inherently fun. If that's not your style of game, if you don't like arena shooters and such, then this might not be for you.

I was put off by the characters at first but after a little time I found them endearing. Like the cast of a saturday morning kids cartoon.

You can sell them fine but you dont get to slam in a battle pass and cash shop too. Pick one.

Unless you're what? Call of Duty? For Honor? Siege? Rocket League? Destiny 2?

All of these games (and many others) require an upfront purchase, sell cosmetics, and feature a battle pass. All of them also feature much more aggressive, and frankly unethical monetisation, than Rocket Arena.

Rocket Arena's 'cash shop' only features items that can also be purchased with in-game currency. Within a day you can get enough currency to clear everything from the cash shop. There are no randomised rewards, and there are no items that affect gameplay behaviour.

Without monetisation you have a game that the developers have no incentive to provide on-going support to the game.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$40 CAD
+ Season Pass
+ MTX

fuck that.

Rocket Arena - Steam Charts

An ongoing analysis of Steam's player numbers, seeing what's been played the most.
258 - playing 17 min ago
329 - 24-hour peak
613 - all-time peak

It looks good but I haven't picked it up myself due to the small playerbase and I doubt it's ever going to go higher than this without some sort of intervention.
Sheesh
Sounds like it should be F2P.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
It's actually legitimately fun. I wish it weren't $30 and was a F2P title but then you would probably only get 1 or 2 of the characters for free and have to get some sort of premium currency from matches to unlock the rest. With it being $30 you get everyone and I assume any new characters.

My main argument against it was what gave it exposure to me in the first place though, so that was a catch-22: the free keys. If it wasn't for the free keys, I wouldn't have tried the game and would have just watched the Twitch streams. I'm not sure I would have actually bought it though.

It's basically a third person shooter version of Smash Brothers and has a players vs robots mode that I pretty much only play because playing against other people stresses me out.

Now I'm not sure if Rocket League was a paid title or had a demo or beta because that's another inexpensive multiplayer-only title. That one is less stressful to me for some reason. I think Rocket Arena is just more of a standard "shooter" and brings all that competition with it.

IT IS ON EA ACCESS so you can just pay $15 and play it for a month if you'd like though. If you don't like it, there's plenty of other games to check out on EA ACCESS though. Unfortunately the $5 per month version on PS4 doesn't have it though, which is what I mainly play on, so I'm glad I was able to get a free key for PC.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel awful for the devs on this, it looks genuinely fun. But charging $30 for it was such a monumental fuck up

dragonflys545

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Should have been F2P with the $30 and $40 tier added for those who really like the game.

No way I'm dropping $30 for game with any MTX and season pass.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Apex sells you characters piecemeal, same with most free to plays. If you pickup Apex right now you have to grind for maybe 2 months to unlock the extra characters. Apex also has very aggressive monetisation, with lootboxes and ÂŁ100+ events. Everything in Apex is weighted to you paying money for the game or missing out. Heck, if you don't spend money on the game you're at a competitive disadvantage compared to other players when you start out, with better gun skins and more character options (e.g. Watson is meta, but not unlocked by default).

I do think the game would do better as a free to play, but I don't think it necessarily should be free. If the developers believe they can offer everyone a better experience if they sell the game with an upfront cost, then I think that can be the right decision.

This is not true at all. It took me like a week to unlock a new character in Apex, it's pretty fast.

Also you are not at a disadvantage at all just because you don't have characters unlocked. I have hundreds of hours into Apex and have probably spent like only $10 and have tons of things unlocked.

I do agree that the events are expensive as heck though.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've played a few matches and it's quite fun, but also makes me realize how bad I am at shooters with (relatively) slower projectiles and leading my target. I was getting outplayed left and right.

Fun overall, I really like the Super Smash style health system. I wasn't a fan of the coin mode I got placed into in one of my matches, much preferred the traditional deathmatch.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The battle pass is essentially included if you buy the $40 version but regardless of that the Battle Pass is cosmetics only and you can currently earn almost every cosmetic by just playing the game and even if you couldn't, they're only cosmetics.

I legit do not understand why people are annoyed with it. If you just want to play the game, it's $30. The battle pass/MTX do not affect you - all characters & non-cosmetic content are included for everyone and do not need to be bought past the initial price.

Meanwhile, Rainbow Six: Siege gets to cost $20 ($30 if you want a not super grindy version) and sell Season Passes and sell Battle Passes and sell MTX and sell boosters and forces people to grind for characters for a long time if they don't spend money and is immensely popular.

Kinda lame.
This is a new IP in a crowded space -- it's going up against F2P games, so charging at the entry point is going to be limiting. I saw an ad for it on the PSN Store the other day and of course immediately thought it was a Fortnite/whatever clone based on the name and the character art, so I definitely expected it would be F2P. These kinds of games don't interest me personally so I didn't give it any thought, but if they did and I saw it had an entry fee I'd be turned off and just stick with the free thing.

Rainbow Six is an established IP so I think it's easier for them to charge something. You've got buy-in already from it being a thing for 20? years.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
1. Does this have splash damage?
2. I heard the aim assist is quite strong, to the point where mouse/keyboard players are at a big disadvantage. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
not gonna blind buy into this one. If it was on ea pass, i'd give it a shot. not that big of a fan of arena shooter so it's a tough sell to me

strikeselect

Oct 27, 2017
good job OP you sold a copy, I've been looking for something different lately to scratch my competitive multiplayer itch

so far I quite enjoy it and i can definitely see the overwatch/quake/smash bros comparison

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This is not true at all. It took me like a week to unlock a new character in Apex, it's pretty fast.

Also you are not at a disadvantage at all just because you don't have characters unlocked. I have hundreds of hours into Apex and have probably spent like only $10 and have tons of things unlocked.

I do agree that the events are expensive as heck though.

There's a lot of characters to unlock now... Mirage, Wattson, Caustic, Loba, Revenant, Octane, at least 6 weeks of play to unlock everyone of the extra characters if you're playing frequently.

You are definitely disadvantaged if you don't have all of the characters unlocked. Not having a full set of options is a disadvantage. Objectively not being able to play and learn the ins and outs of a characters mechanics like Rev, Wattson or Cryto who are very very impactful in high level play.

Not to mention the weapon skins, jesus. It's so much easier to land wingman shots and track with an R99 on one of the skins that has cleaner iron sights. In high level matches you won't see anyone not running one of the pay to win skins. Respawn haven't even commented on this issue as far as I'm aware.

The thing is, between very good players, a very minor difference is all it takes to win a gunfight, so people are looking for every little small competitive advantage that they can get.

I'm master in Apex, 30,000 total kills. I'm not speaking from inexperience. You're are of course, free to disagree though.

Last edited:

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand why it's called Rocket Arena when it's nothing like Rocket Arena.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone comment on how similar this is to Battlerite? Looks really cool but I'll have to wait for the inevitable F2P as there's not much chance of convincing my friends to spend the $.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The fact it's got MTX, a season pass, and is a paid game are enough for me to already look poorly on it and the small playerbase doesn't help.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
In theory, I should be all over this, since I usually love arcade style shooters and rocket launchers in particular.

But it's just really hard to put down 30€ on a game that might very well be dead in a month. Especially since so many other high quality, free-to-play arcade shooters died super fast.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
In theory, I should be all over this, since I usually love arcade style shooters and rocket launchers in particular.

But it's just really hard to put down 30€ on a game that might very well be dead in a month. Especially since so many other high quality, free-to-play arcade shooters died super fast.

Their roadmap at least indicates they'll do 3 seasons of content. So, it won't be dead in a month (and the first competitive season starts in a week or so). I guess that depends on EA's appetite for supporting an online game with a small player base. If this game had stayed at Nexon, it wouldn't even be a question that it'd be dead quick.

Honestly I think one of the big problems is...it's not on Switch. Rocket Arena is a bright, cartoony hero shooter that I think would find an audience among younger players. The game would feel pretty at home next to something like Splatoon. F2P would've been nice, sure, but it didn't even launch into EA Access. This could've even been a good game to put in Xbox Game Pass.

Oct 25, 2017
If it was F2P or on PS+ I'd play it. Not interested in dropping $30 on a multiplayer only game atm when I have so much other stuff to play.

Yeah this. I was really interested when I saw the trailer, but they def dropped the pall by not going f2p. Feel like this'll go the way of Lawbreakers unfortunately. Doing a Paywalled MP only game post Fortnite doesn't seem to really work unless you're a major publisher with tons of money for promo.

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
I'd love to play this, but there's no way I'm paying $30 for it, and there's even less chance my friends are paying $30 also. If this was f2p, we'd probably give it a fair shot.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah this. I was really interested when I saw the trailer, but they def dropped the pall by not going f2p. Feel like this'll go the way of Lawbreakers unfortunately. Doing a Paywalled MP only game post Fortnite doesn't seem to really work unless you're a major publisher with tons of money for promo.

Well, EA did seemingly pay a bunch of money to streamers for both post-announcement sponsored streams/videos AND day one sponsored streams. I think they were hoping that the gameplay would attract more people than it did. The streamers took the money, played for the time allotted, then (understandably) dropped it. The content/style is just not hitting with any potential audience, sadly.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Completely agree OP. This has been my jam for the past week, it's so quick and easy to jump into and also great fun.

Honestly it should have been f2p from a market penetration perspective but the game's ongoing monetisation seems extremely fair. All cosmetic stuff from the store can be earned in-game surprisingly easily.

Shadow Dancer

Prophet of Regret
Jul 22, 2019
It reminds me Crackdown 3 multiplayer with all those transversal and rockets mayhem. I'll give a try on a free-to-play weekend.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I bought it, and honestly I'm trying my best to justify it. I can't find a character that I completely meld with.

Topnotch is the closest character to Pharah, which is my favorite character to play in Overwatch, but his flight abilities aren't as good.

Plink, I like his speed, but his damage output is horrible, I can never K.O. anyone with him.

Blastbeard and Boone are just okay, and everyone else just feels underpowered or clunky to use, and a lot of their alt fires and special abilities don't see useful in most contexts. The characters just don't feel fun to use.

I do like the varied modes, but quickly matches become complete domination of the other team or a winless match on your end.

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm not used to playing on Keyboard+Mouse but this game just feels off to play with.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I was taking a look at this earlier this week, but i decided to go with Hell Let Loose instead. Might revisit this if there is still a community left.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think it would have a community at that entry price so I didn't want to risk it.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you're what? Call of Duty? For Honor? Siege? Rocket League? Destiny 2?
I mean...yeah. If you're part of the top tier most played games, you get away with things other games don't. It's not really an unrealistic thing to say that a brand new IP should go out of its way to remove the barrier to entry. This game has along way to go before it can hang with any of the ones you mentioned.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
This reminds me of one of those BattleBorn-tier games that wants to be way bigger than it is but just doesn't have what it takes to gather a large playerbase.

Also it seems like it could really benefit from a demo.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
I got it for free...

And yeah, this game is super fun. 3vs3 battles aren't a problem when the combat and the arenas are fun. I think most arenas are smaller than Splatoon ones, which totally makes sense. it took me some time to adjust but finally understood how to play decently. The game have other modes for people who want some variety... including coop against hordes of enemies.

I'm surprised the base game is not part of EA Access, it would be perfect for the service. Then they could sell their battle pass. In fact since I got the game for free I may buy the battle pass.
Also, I don't agree that the characters are hideous like the Battleborn ones. Those were really fugly.

i was pleasantly surprised that the Micro transactions aren't as predatory as other EA games. The things you can buy with actual money can be unlocked naturally if you keep playing the game.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Holy damn this is one nasty pricing system. When you have so many great MP option to play games for free this is hard to justify.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
This looks right up my street, and mentioning Quake is something I don't take lightly. But even Quake recognised that it couldn't sustain itself as a paid-for game any more, and look at what happened to Lawbreakers.

I'll put this on my watchlist, but I'm certainly not paying up front to try it. I bought Lawbreakers. I've done my part on getting burned by trying to keep arena shooters alive.

mojo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like this game but I'm not going to pretend like it being free to play or on subscription service x, or removing the things that every living game has now would have helped it in any way. It's just not what people want right now and that's fine.