• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Take Two's CEO Strauss Zelnick has confirmed that Rockstar will be updating GTA Online and Red Dead Online with many more updates to drive engagement and player growth.

"Throughout the year, Rockstar Games will continue to support both Red Dead Online and Grand Theft Auto Online with many more updates in order to drive engagement and player growth."

"We remain as excited as ever about the long-term opportunity for Red Dead Online to be meaningful driver of recurrent consumer spending."

Take Two is really honest with what Red Dead Online is to them. Just a way to make more money. So if the MTX get worse in RDRO, I'll be blaming Take Two.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Bring it! My body is ready! 1000+ hours into GTA Online and counting. I did everything there is to do in RDO so it needs more content but I'm sure they'll deliver. I just hope they don't nerf the collector role. I'm making $4k+ a day.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As long as the way to earn the new shit stays the same I'm all for it. They're very generous with gold bars and never had to spend a dime on the game to get the shit I want.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the whole "choose what to install" feature on the PS5 allows you to install only the SP content even with PS4 games.
Take Two is really honest with what Red Dead Online is to them. Just a way to make more money. So if the MTX get worse in RDRO, I'll be blaming Take Two.
Except that Rockstar are big enough to be able to decide how much worse they can make it. Take Two are greedy, yes but Rockstar have the power to deny their requests cause they are their bread maker, and you don't piss off your bread maker.

Monroe Kelly

Oct 28, 2017
So is it fair to assume this means there won't be any single-player DLC content for RDR 2 in the future, just like GTA 5? Rockstar used to put out really good single-player expansions.

I will say that RDR 2's online feels a lot less exploitative than GTAO. I've never had to use real money to buy gold, and I've gotten all the three major professions unlocked and the guns I wanted just by playing the game casually. Everything in GTAO felt so ridiculously expensive. It felt like a really lazy hustle to get me to buy shark cards.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Hopefully the whole "choose what to install" feature on the PS5 allows you to install only the SP content even with PS4 games.

Except that Rockstar are big enough to be able to decide how much worse they can make it. Take Two are greedy, yes but Rockstar have the power to deny their requests cause they are their bread maker, and you don't piss off your bread maker.

No. Take Two still owns them. Take Two still pays them. You think all this money goes to Rockstar? No it goes to Take Two. Rockstar isn't going to deny their owners. Rockstar might have some power but they don't have full power. That's not how a publisher-developer deal works.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is RDO fun / easy to get into? I loved the single player so much I ended up just dicking around in the open world for probably 200 hours.

If that's what you ended up doing with the single player then you'll love what Red Dead Online is now. It's basically another campaign with jobs (bounty hunter, collector and trader) and a whole new progression system. You don't need to interact with anybody else if you don't want to (although it's obviously super fun to play with friends). It's amazing and I've played it 100x longer than I did the single player mode.

Oct 27, 2017
No. Take Two still owns them. Take Two still pays them. You think all this money goes to Rockstar? No it goes to Take Two. Rockstar isn't going to deny their owners.
That doesn't mean they can force them. Rockstar is one of those developers where they get so much freedom to do what they want because they bring a lot of money.

They are the one keeping Take Two alive and without them they would have gone under years ago.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
The monetization really isn't disgusting in RDO though. It's a grind for sure, but the premium currency can be earned pretty consistently by doing daily challenges. You'll literally see people with hundreds of gold bars and thousands of dollars in RDO who never spent a dime on the game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
That doesn't mean they can force them. Rockstar is one of those developers where they get so much freedom to do what they want because they bring a lot of money.

They are the one keeping Take Two alive and without them they would have gone under years ago.

Take Two has 2K, Borderlands and other stuff. So no Rockstar is not the only thing keeping them alive. NBA, WWE, are top selling games each year.

Also yes Take Two can and do force them. Take Two owns the IP's. They own Rockstar. They're Rockstar's parent's. What Take Two want's, Rockstar does. It's why both Rockstar online modes have the same exact MTX systems as NBA 2K. The same grind too.

If Rockstar wasn't owned by Take Two and had a contract deal with them like Bungie did with Activision, then maybe Rockstar would have more freedom. But they don't have a deal.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I got all I wanted from both games single player stories so I'm afraid they'll be seeing no recurrent consumer spending from me,lol.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Keep it coming boys. Red Dead Online especially has so much potential right now. The Frontier Pursuits (roles) update was great.

Oct 27, 2017
Take Two has 2K, Borderlands and other stuff. So no Rockstar is not the only thing keeping them alive. NBA, WWE, are top selling games each year.

Also yes Take Two can and do force them. Take Two owns the IP's. They own Rockstar. They're Rockstar's parent's. What Take Two want's, Rockstar does. It's why both Rockstar online modes have the same exact MTX systems as NBA 2K. The same grind too.
Go look at their financal years and comeback. They were always at a loss and Rockstar were the biggest company to make them go postive instead of negative.

Not everything is because of the publisher. We had plenty of evidence where it was the developers who choose how they do micro transactions.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Go look at their financal years and comeback. They were always at a loss and Rockstar were the biggest company to make them go postive instead of negative.

Not everything is because of the publisher. We had plenty of evidence where it was the developers who choose how they do micro transactions.

Go look at their investor calls. It's not Rockstar doing those investors calls talking about recurrent consumer spending and microtransactions. It's not Rockstar's shareholders. It's Take Two's shareholders. Shareholders who Take Two has to make money for. Which GTA Online does really well which is why it's so grindy. If GTA Online and Shark Cards weren't so successful, then Take Two would've probably let it be less grindy.

I'm sure Rockstar has some freedom in how they operate the MTX and stuff but ultimately it's Take Two. Until Rockstar leaves Take Two or becomes self published, expect Rockstar's online modes to stay grindy and mobile game like just like NBA 2K.

Oct 27, 2017
Go look at their investor calls. It's not Rockstar doing those investors calls talking about recurrent consumer spending and microtransactions. It's not Rockstar's shareholders. It's Take Two's shareholders. Shareholders who Take Two has to make money for. Which GTA Online does really well which is why it's so grindy. If GTA Online and Shark Cards weren't so successful, then Take Two would've probably let it be less grindy.

I'm sure Rockstar has some freedom in how they operate the MTX and stuff but ultimately it's Take Two.
So wait, you think that Take Two boasting about GTA Online being succesful interms of micro transactions, is why they "force" Rockstar? Rockstar was one of the first companies of the bunch to start the current mobile style micro transactions and that was before it was a proven benefictional practice. Take Two wouldn't know how succesful this would be years ago.

Take Two would talk about every positive they can get to please the people buying stocks. There is no reason not to talk about that because they own them.

Not to mention that there is actual evidence that the publishers aren't always the ones to push for micro transactions. Edit: I mixed my info Look at Dice's Battlefront 2 for an example. Look at this:

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
So wait, you think that Take Two boasting about GTA Online being succesful interms of micro transactions, is why they "force" Rockstar? Rockstar was one of the first companies of the bunch to start the current mobile style micro transactions and that was before it was a proven benefictional practice. Take Two wouldn't know how succesful this would be years ago.

Take Two would talk about every positive they can get to please the people buying stocks. There is no reason not to talk about that because they own them.

Not to mention that there is actual evidence that the publishers aren't always the ones to push for micro transactions. Edit: I mixed my info Look at Dice's Battlefront 2 for an example. Look at this:

No that's now what I meant. Take Two boasting about GTA Online to shareholders and holding investor calls was my proof that it's Take Two who want's the MTX in the games. They control the finances and have to live up to the shareholders. A insider on here even said that Take Two makes them put MTX in the games but Rockstar has some leeway on the systems implemented.

Oct 27, 2017
No that's now what I mean't. Take Two boasting about GTA Online to shareholders and holding investor calls was my proof that it's Take Two who want's the MTX in the games. They control the finances and have to live up to the shareholders.
Even if they want MTX in games, they can't force them.

Rockstar in particular work on their own terms. Take Two would be stupid to meddle in their work as it could affect their sales. There is also Borderlands 3 who could work really well with MTX and yet they weren't forced to include them, even though 2K is publishing.

If the developers don't want MTX (especially ones as big as Rockstar) then they wouldn't be able to force them. And if they did "force them", they are not involved in the game development part which is required to make the MTX viable or profitable cause that's all on Rockstar to do.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Even if they want MTX in games, they can't force them.

Rockstar in particular work on their own terms. Take Two would be stupid to meddle in their work as it could affect their sales. There is also Borderlands 3 who could work really well with MTX and yet they weren't forced to include them, even though 2K is publishing.

If the developers don't want MTX (especially ones as big as Rockstar) then they wouldn't be able to force them. And if they did "force them", they are not involved in the game development part which is required to make the MTX viable or profitable cause that's all on Rockstar to do.

Yes they can force them. Take Two can do whatever it wants since Rockstar is apart of Take Two. Rockstar is a subsidiary of Take Two. Take Two is also their publisher and parent company. This is how it works with every game. Publisher can force microtransactions into the game and then gives the devs a specific revenue goal. Then devs design a MTX system to meet that revenue goal. That's how it works in the AAA industry unless the dev self publishes.

Also Gearbox isn't owned by Take Two or 2K so maybe they have a say in the matter. Maybe it's like Activision and Bungie.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes they can force them. Take Two can do whatever it wants since Rockstar is apart of Take Two. Rockstar is a subsidiary of Take Two. Take Two is also their publisher and parent company. This is how it works with every game. Publisher forces microtransactions into the game and gives the devs a specific revenue goal. Then devs design a MTX system to meet that revenue goal. That's how it works in the AAA industry unless the dev self publishes.
Read the thread I linked. Developers have a say in this thing, especially ones as big as Rockstar who have their own freedom to do what they want.

While you are at it, I would love to hear more about this insider that you talked about in your other post.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Read the thread I linked. Developers have a say in this thing, especially ones as big as Rockstar who have their own freedom to do what they want.

While you are at it, I would love to hear more about this insider that you talked about in your other post.

Right there, the user is named Nome. Just like I said, the publisher sets goals and targets and projections.

Take Two has a revenue goal set for Rockstar that Rockstar has to meet. It must be high. Maybe that goal is really hard to reach. Maybe that's why GTA Online has been so grindy and centered around shark cards. Rockstar might be doing whatever they can to reach that MTX revenue goal. And if they are, I honestly don't blame them. Maybe Take Two should stop setting gigantic revenue goals that are outrageous just because Rockstar makes them alot of money.

Also notice how CDPR games don't have MTX in them or Sekiro which was published by Activision. Activision didn't own Sekiro or Fromsoftware. They had a deal though. Which gave Fromsoftware control. If Rockstar had a contractual deal with Take Two and weren't owned by them, I bet none of Rockstar's games would have MTX in them. According to Leslie Benzies, the 2 heads of Rockstar don't care about online and only care about story mode.

Last edited:

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Bring it, boah.

RDO is getting to the point it has more depth than the single player. It is easy to get lost in hours of playing.
Online become really boring after a bunch of hours, frankly. Could be even more depth but activities start to become really flat and repetitive after some days of dedication.

Oct 27, 2017

Right there, the user is named Nome. Just like I said, the publisher sets goals and targets and projections.

Take Two has a revenue goal set for Rockstar that Rockstar has to meet. It must be high. Maybe that goal is really hard to reach. Maybe that's why GTA Online has been so grindy and centered around shark cards. Rockstar might be doing whatever they can to reach that MTX revenue goal. And if they are, I honestly don't blame them. Maybe Take Two should stop setting gigantic revenue goals that are outrageous just because Rockstar makes them alot of money.
I don't see where they say they are an insider? They are saying that Take Two sets profits and devs must hit them (which is something every company has) but is that really evidence that it is high? As far as we know, they have expectations but that doesn't mean they can "force" Rockstar to have Microtransactions.

Red Dead Redemption 2 came out without online and was profitable and had good legs as far as Take Two was concerned. Online was added later on and if Rockstar wanted they can make an online like the first Redemption game, without any currency and Take Two can't force them into changing their plans.

Read up on the developers interviews. They wanted to make a GTA Online type of experience in a western cause they wanted to. Unless they are lying.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
Considering they have added numerous patches to gtav it's surprising that they never bothered with a pro or x patch. Even a simple up res to 1440p would make a huge difference to the quality on screen. It's a bit of a jaggy mess these days and how hard could it be

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
I don't see where they say they are an insider? They are saying that Take Two sets profits and devs must hit them (which is something every company has) but is that really evidence that it is high? As far as we know, they have expectations but that doesn't mean they can "force" Rockstar to have Microtransactions.

Red Dead Redemption 2 came out without online and was profitable and had good legs as far as Take Two was concerned. Online was added later on and if Rockstar wanted they can make an online like the first Redemption game, without any currency and Take Two can't force them into changing their plans.

Read up on the developers interviews. They wanted to make a GTA Online type of experience in a western cause they wanted to. Unless they are lying.

I'm not saying that Rockstar doesn't control how they make the game or what they want to make. Obviously they do. What I'm saying is that Take Two requires microtransactions to be there. If Rockstar made a similar online mode to RDR1 for RDR2, it would've had MTX too. Every Rockstar game will have them as Take Two said that all future Take Two games will have microtransactions in them. Also note the words "Take Two" who said this.

Take Two's CEO also gets big bonuses if they sell enough microtransactions. Take Two also said "We've said that we aim to have recurrent consumer spending opportunities for every title that we put out at this company. It may not always be an online model, it probably won't always be a virtual currency model, but there will be some ability to engage in an ongoing basis with our titles after release across the board."

Look it's Take Two saying all of this. Not Rockstar. Take Two is requiring that all of their games have 'recurrent consumer spending' in them meaning Rockstar's games have to have them. Take Two even said that they're prioritizing development that integrates MTX into the overall games.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying that Rockstar doesn't control how they make the game or what they want to make. Obviously they do. What I'm saying is that Take Two requires microtransactions to be there. If Rockstar made a similar online mode to RDR1 for RDR2, it would've had MTX too. Every Rockstar game will have them as Take Two said that all future Take Two games will have microtransactions in them. Also note the words "Take Two" who said this.
If Rockstar made a Redemption 1 multiplayer then it would be impossible to have Microtransactions as that mode was very simple and without any currancy. Publishers talk to their developers. They are not some people in suits sitting in their offices. They have meetings and if they were to be bold and say Microtransactions will be in every game they make then they will need to talk to Rockstar, who is the biggest profit making company they own. Without communication they would fall apart.

Like I said, for Rockstar to have the freedom to do what they want, Take Two needs to step back and we can see the results from them stepping back. Rockstar Games sells tons of copies cause they design games the way they do without intreference.

As far as I know, Rockstar don't have financial calls so it would be impossible for them to talk about Microtransactions, hence why Take Two are the ones to say this.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
If Rockstar made a Redemption 1 multiplayer then it would be impossible to have Microtransactions as that mode was very simple and without any currancy. Publishers talk to their developers. They are not some people in suits sitting in their offices. They have meetings and if they were to be bold and say Microtransactions will be in every game they make then they will need to talk to Rockstar, who is the biggest profit making company they own. Without communication they would fall apart.

Like I said, for Rockstar to have the freedom to do what they want, Take Two needs to step back and we can see the results from them stepping back. Rockstar Games sells tons of copies cause they design games the way they do without intreference.

As far as I know, Rockstar don't have financial calls so it would be impossible for them to talk about Microtransactions, hence why Take Two are the ones to say this.

Well of course Take Two would talk with Rockstar and their devs. How else would they get them to do what they want? They have board meetings and discussions. This is how companies work.

Yes no dev has conference calls because the devs don't control the finances. A Game Publisher finances a video game's development, handles the marketing and release of the game, and gets the returns on its sales. They manage the business end of the gaming field.

Rockstar has to do what Take Two wants. Take Two finances Rockstar's games and gives them all of their money and budgets and markets their games for them. Without Take Two, Rockstar would be nothing. Take Two own's all of them and their IP's. If Rockstar want's to stay in their position, then they have to do whatever Take Two wants. Those millions that Rockstar makes doesn't go to Rockstar, it goes to Take Two.

This is video game business 101.

Oct 27, 2017
Well of course Take Two would talk with Rockstar and their devs. How else would they get them to do what they want? They have board meetings and discussions. This is how companies work.

Yes no dev has conference calls because the devs don't control the finances. A Game Publisher finances a video game's development, handles the marketing and release of the game, and gets the returns on its sales. They manage the business end of the gaming field.

Rockstar has to do what Take Two wants. Take Two finances Rockstar's games and gives them all of their money and budgets and markets their games for them. Without Take Two, Rockstar would be nothing. Take Two own's all of them and their IP's. If Rockstar want's to stay in their position, then they have to do whatever Take Two wants.
Take Two wants money. If Rockstar is able to do that then they don't care how.

Rockstar choose to go the microtransactions route, even though they can find a different way to make a profit. What this means is that Rockstar are fine with microtransactions and blaming Take Two for everything is wrong. Rockstar do what they do because they want to do it.

Oct 27, 2017
IMO I could see them keep GTA onljne alive through 6, and just make a giant next gen upDate for it, adding GTA6 specific content. Sort of like WoW, but with a single player game attached that intergrates

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
I do! And I got it for free and got to play it with my friends. What's the issue?
They were going to be much bigger and have an actual campaign? Instead they were chopped up and any assets they did make were shoved into GTAO to make use of them. There was going to be three major Single Player DLC packs.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Strauss Zelnick: "We remain as excited as ever about the long-term opportunity for Red Dead Online to be meaningful driver of recurrent consumer spending."

More content is always a good thing but MAN do I hate this sentence. lol