• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Barry Sonnenfeld's agent paid a lot of money to get on this list.

Where is Paul Schraeder. Great director, several awful movies.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I would put any and all of Zemekis' uncanny valley nightmares over Death Becomes Her…

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TLW actually has some great stuff in it even with the crap sprinkled through it.

Crystal Skull is mostly just average
TLW has exactly one scene where the movie comes to life, the RV over the cliff sequence. And even the optics to get to that scene are beyond stupid.

One good action setpiece doesn't make up for how nonsensical the entire movie is. The movie makes dinosaurs boring!

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Tbh I really don't like The Fountain (it's basically the most expensive student film ever made), but it's hard to argue Aronfsky hasn't done worse.
Pretty well sums up what I was going to say about Aronofsky and the seemingly random choice of The Fountain. It's a turkey, but he's had bigger ones.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree! I think mother is one of the greatest movies ever made and I've seen it a bunch. I never rewatch movies! But I make an exception for that one 🖤

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I saw an advanced screening of it, and was one of the few people who didn't walk out on it. Once I figured out what the entire movie was an allegory about, I just couldn't stand it.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
I mean there is a good argument to be made that Aronofsky has gotten consistently worse since the fountain.

Also, just because a film might be a directors worst does not mean it is terrible. Case in point Alien 3

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like I fell into an alternate universe with how many people are saying the fountain shouldn't be on the list.

Did people start liking that film over the weekend or something?

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
The Lost World: Jurassic Park I think is definitely Spielberg's worst film. I haven't seen 1941 to confirm. Also, Star Wars Episode II is way worse than Episode I.

I also wonder why I'm so weird in thinking that Alien 3 is not a bad movie. It has some of the most iconic imagery in the entire franchise.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Spielberg was SHOWING OFF in West Side Story lmao. It ain't fair.

Seriously, that movie is Spielberg going, "so you think I've lost a step? Watch this." It's an unnecessary remake and all, but it's outrageously beautiful.

This thread is reminding me of how much I love Bruce Willis in Death Becomes Her. He certainly didn't do unhinged very often, but he grabbed that role with both hands and went bananas.

Last edited:

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Seeing so many people point out Death Becomes Her doesn't belong on this list makes me happy. Such a good film.

I vaguely remember it getting bad reviews when it came out though

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
All the folks in this thread saying The Fountain doesn't belong on this list.

Meanwhile you can kinda read the graphic novel and see the film version is really incomplete due to budget.

I really like The Fountain but it is a deeply flawed film that doesn't achieve what it tries to do and the creators behind it would probably be the first people to admit that.

edit - I wouldn't call it "terrible" though. That's a poor choice of adjective.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Respect a masterpiece of CAMP

NiF6.gif

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Garbage list, so much of it is just mediocrity rather than outright disasters.

And no list of "terrible movies" should have anything as remotely quality as Death Becomes Her, The Fountain, or heck, even Alien 3 or Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

edit: Just noticed Piranha 2 is on there for James Cameron, just shows what a vapid, nothing of a article this is.

Look, I get that Boxcar Bertha, Alien 3, Piranha II are easily the worst films of their respective directors, but they are also early career films from directors that had limited control over the final product. I don't think it's fair pitting them against the likes of Downsizing, Gemini Man, or North which came from estabilished directors.

Yep, it would be like listing any of Francis Ford Coppola's first few movies. Like they just.. don't count.

Honestly, it feels like a list I would expect the (modern) Razzies voting board to come up with. Films selected as "truly terrible" works more so of the basis of them either being popular to hate/dunk on, or (concerning films with mixed or even mildly positive reception) because the author had a strong personal dislike of a feature that disagrees with the broader consensus.

Especially since the article even opens with the admission that there are different variables and/or circumstances in play as to how a film can turn out bad; but still goes on to compile a fairly random list of "cinematic disasters" without any criteria going in as to what would or wouldn't make the list (and accompanying reasons as to why).

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
The fountain is a cult classic, way better than Aronofsky's last three films. Death Becomes Her is another cult classic.
Downsizing is just misunderstood, it's a very good movie.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the folks in this thread saying The Fountain doesn't belong on this list.

Meanwhile you can kinda read the graphic novel and see the film version is really incomplete due to budget.

I really like The Fountain but it is a deeply flawed film that doesn't achieve what it tries to do and the creators behind it would probably be the first people to admit that.

edit - I wouldn't call it "terrible" though. That's a poor choice of adjective.

Aronofsky (who also wrote the graphic novel) did an interview a couple a years ago where he said that if he had redone The Fountain, he would've made it smaller and less flashy. I'm not sure what more The Fountain would've needed to be a better movie. It feels perfectly complete and magnificent as it is.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Robert Altman is one of my favorite directors and I was delighted to discover that he made a movie with Jeff Goldblum. Then I watched it and what an absolutely awful movie it is. I'm glad they didn't put Popeye on here instead. That movie is actually weirdly fun and charming as hell.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, that and Fableman's.... It's crazy how much control he has, everything is directed so smoothly and beautiful. He's so good that he makes it look easy.

And, to top it off, he shoots quick and keeps budgets in check. It's crazy what a number 1941 did on him- he got away with extended, out of control productions with Jaws and CE3K but it bit him in the ass hard on 1941. So with Raiders he reigned it in, especially because he was spending his best friend's money, and has pretty much stuck with that ever since. A movie like War of the Worlds has no business looking that good having started principal photography 8 months before release.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, that and Fableman's.... It's crazy how much control he has, everything is directed so smoothly and beautiful. He's so good that he makes it look easy.

God, yeah. I generally haven't been huge on Spielberg's more recent work but West Side Story and Fabelmans back to back made me fall in love with him all over again.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Amsterdam is a terrible movie, but saying it's the sorespot in that sexual molester's filmography is kind of wild.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't watched Death Becomes Her in decades but as a kid I thought it was awesome.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Bicentennial Man shouldn't be in that list..

1. it's not a bad movie.
2. Chris Columbus is not a great director.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
I knew it was going to be on the list, but seeing Jack at #1 seems ridiculous to me.

Maybe it's because I was young when I saw it, but I remember it being pretty alright?

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
If the list would've been called "the worst movies of these directors" then it would be a solid list.. calling some of those movies terrible is just plain wrong