• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
Scrapping the DCEU is long overdue, so sure whatever. It's been stumbling along like a slow-motion car crash for far too long.

But still release the fucking films you've already made ffs.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
might as well already call time of death on the Black Superman film

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Axing two movies with female leads and diverse casts and announcing the release date of Joker 2 in the same new cycle is a hell of a thing. Seems like rumors about Zaslav are pretty spot on.
I expect Batman 2 will be safe

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Shame. This and Blue Beetle were the only DC things I was kinda looking forward to. Expecting Blue Beetle to also be cancelled.

Oh well.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like Supergirl and Batwoman should've been white men to please this clown running WB.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Seeing some red flags for some reason...

The amount of non-white/straight/cis-led DC properties that are being cancelled lately is alarming.

Legends and Batwoman over at The CW were two of the most diverse and LGBTQ-friendly shows on television and now we see what's happening with Batgirl and Supergirl before they ever get off the ground.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
DC going to be for the Right now, I bet the movies will all be hyper patriotic. Superman is totally going back to "truth justice and the American way".
That's honestly the kinda vibe I've been getting from the events and seeing how the guy running it handles hirings on the last page it makes a lot of sense.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of non-white/straight/cis-led DC properties that are being cancelled lately is alarming.

Legends and Batwoman over at The CW were two of the most diverse and LGBTQ-friendly shows on television and now we see what's happening with Batgirl and Supergirl before they ever get off the ground.
I got told in the other thread that Batgirl's Ivory Aquino was gonna be the first openly trans actor/character in the DCU.

Like I am actually pissed something fierce right now over just how canceling Batgirl just gutted representation in the DCU.

Oct 30, 2017
It honestly feels like the old supposed "superman curse" has just spread over the entire DC catalogue now tbh. Burn it down. Salt the earth. Come back and try again in a few years.

What a complete shambles.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Just killing off female POC movies and hiring a bunch of white men……Bet this misogynist donated a lot of money Trump huh

He was a Trump supporter so of course he did.

Didn't rumors say there were no actual progress on that project anyway? They announced it way too early to gain positive press, and insiders said they keep rejecting scripts from Coates.

If this is true, I'm not surprised DC did this......

darksider321

Dec 8, 2020
Didn't rumors say there were no actual progress on that project anyway? They announced it way too early to gain positive press, and insiders said they keep rejecting scripts from Coates.

I haven't kept up with DC Rumours but there is still the Val Zod Micheal B Jordan project or has that been no progress as well? I also remember that that the Coates project had some concept leaks with it being a golden age superman story in a modern time or was that rejected?

Feb 16, 2022
I haven't kept up with DC Rumours but there is still the Val Zod Micheal B Jordan project or has that been no progress as well? I also remember that that the Coates project had some concept leaks with it being a golden age superman story in a modern time or was that rejected?
As far as I recall, the rumors said one of them never had a chance to be a real project, and the other one was stalled due to script rejections. I don't remember which is which exactly, but the script one seems to be the JJ/Coates one.

Aug 9, 2021
If the rumors about Zaslav are true, it makes sense. At this rate, I'm expecting this dude to hire Snyder back.

Zaslav gets around $190 million dollars if the stock price triples by 2028 (technically, increase from $16 to $44 with a big payday if it goes to around $50). While he's already a multi-millionaire, I am sure many people would set plans in motion sabotaging the careers of others in order to get that.

He was supposed to get around $3 million of that in May, but the stock price needed to be at $35. (as long as the stock eventually goes above $35 within the next 6 years he'll get to redeem that portion of it).

darksider321

Dec 8, 2020
As far as I recall, the rumors said one of them never had a chance to be a real project, and the other one was stalled due to script rejections. I don't remember which is which exactly, but the script one seems to be the JJ/Coates one.

Ah that's unfornunate. At the very least, I wouldn't have mind seeing what Coates would have done with his version of Superman but at this point, who the hell knows what is going to happen with anything DC related unless it is The Batman or the Joker movies.

Oct 27, 2017
I think she would have made a terrific Superwoman and hope they bring her back when things get settled for the future.

Could this all possible lend some credibility to those Cavill being back rumors as I believe Discovery wants to focus on Superman and Batman movies. It was an odd choice to move forward without the 2 largest DC characters in Batman and Superman with what WB was supposedly planning after The Flash when they've barely got to breath in movies beyond ZS Trilogy.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Originally MBJ was pitching Val Zod as a movie. WB said no to that and opted for Coates' project instead but last word on it was that MBJ was invited to rework Val Zod as a Max miniseries. No chance of that coming to fruition now most likely.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I was really looking forward to Supergirl movie.

I'm really sad what's happening to HBO Max projects. Wholes DC universe is even at a worse spot than the whole Snyderverse shit lol.

WB should sell of DC to Disney already and the dev studios to Sony. One and done. That CEO can go wreck Discovery+ if he wants after.

Aug 3, 2022
United States
FZQlaqmXkAUJhod
If he cans Blue Beetle we can put on the panic button.
I think she would have made a terrific Superwoman and hope they bring her back when things get settled for the future.

Could this all possible lend some credibility to those Cavill being back rumors as I believe Discovery wants to focus on Superman and Batman movies. It was an odd choice to move forward without the 2 largest DC characters in Batman and Superman with what WB was supposedly planning after The Flash when they've barely got to breath in movies beyond ZS Trilogy.
They won't like Batgirl since they don't fit the vision going forward.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
After seeing the 4 hour cut of Justice league I wouldn't not like that.

WB could hire snyder back and appoint Greg Weisman as their feige analog and I still wouldn't trust it. They shift directions ever couple of years. There's no point in getting attached to anything because they will just pivot, make some reactionary changes and learn nothing.

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
I'd just like to point that we almost had movies about Val Zod, Supergirl, Batgirl, Blue Beetle, Black Canary, Justice League Dark, the Justice Society, etc. Like even if only half of that gets made that's a compelling slate of films! I think I heard someone say something about a Static Shock movie! Like that would've been wonderful!

Now? Nothing but Batman. Well maybe Black Adam comes out then again who knows with this fuck.

Welcome to the Zoa energy cinematic universe. Enjoy your gaming before we kill that division!

Feb 16, 2022
If he cans Blue Beetle we can put on the panic button.
While it definitely doesn't look good with them cancelling these PoC-led properties, it was also indirectly caused by the previous regime taking way too long to commit to these projects AND relegating them to smaller scale/budget affairs. If all the PoC-led properties were the budget, smaller scale "cheaper" ones, it's not shocking they'd be the first to go when the new regime wants bigger projects only.

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
While it definitely doesn't look good with them cancelling these PoC-led properties, it was also indirectly caused by the previous regime taking way too long to commit to these projects AND relegating them to smaller scale/budget affairs. If all the PoC-led properties were the budget, smaller scale "cheaper" ones, it's not shocking they'd be the first to go when the new regime wants bigger projects only.
That's the thing this doesn't feel like a rational and calm pivot to a new strategy. It would make sense to reevaluate if these existing projects that are in various states of completion should get follow ups at higher budgets not actively scrapping finished work and in progress work. Stuff that hasn't even filmed is even easier just reschedule it at a higher budget.

Supergirl is a great example. That was meant to spinoff from the Flash the one movie they refuse to cancel. If that wasn't a blockbuster budget the natural inclination is to fix the mistake and make it one not cancel.

Feb 16, 2022
That's the thing this doesn't feel like a rational and calm pivot to a new strategy. It would make sense to reevaluate if these existing projects that are in various states of completion should get follow ups at higher budgets not actively scrapping finished work and in progress work. Stuff that hasn't even filmed is even easier just reschedule it at a higher budget.

Supergirl is a great example. That was meant to spinoff from the Flash the one movie they refuse to cancel. If that wasn't a blockbuster budget the natural inclination is to fix the mistake and make it one not cancel.
At the same time, projects that were still in early stages like Supergirl was likely axed no matter what, since execs probably only want projects that they personally greenlight going forward, not projects that were greenlit by the previous regime.

Oct 25, 2017
They have spent way too much on it for that not to be the case, right?

Normally I'd say it's getting released hell or high water. But who knows with the tax loop hole stuff. Even with the controversy around Ezra it could still easily make a lot of money for them if it's as crowd pleasing as it supposedly is. It seems the plan is just to wait it out, the movie isn't out for another year, Miller isn't a big star most don't know who they are or the allegations against them. Could just as easily get way worse between now and the release but who knows, it seems obvious he's done with WB but they can't say anything until after the movie is out.

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
At the same time, projects that were still in early stages like Supergirl was likely axed no matter what, since execs probably only want projects that they personally greenlight going forward, not projects that were greenlit by the previous regime.
The thing is that makes sense in a non-connected cinematic universe. Like it would make sense to delay a Supergirl movie to put your own stamp on it or even reboot it but are you just not going to make a Supergirl movie at all?

This isn't a disconnected action film. Discovery bought IP to exploit. They seem to want to do the opposite. It will be immensely telling when they recast.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I guess the official reasoning for this would be the same as their comments about Batgirl, that they're only interested in tentpole theatrical releases and the budgets for streaming targeted movies don't work.

But is it also about wiping clean anything Ezra related, likely resulting in also canceling that movie soon?