• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SkekesisVR

Jan 2, 2018
holy shit this came out of nowhere and looks amazing. I've been on a Gameboy Color kick lately so this is right up my alley

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
heh, I was about to post this but then I was like "nah, I'm just being tripped up by Tommy's massive noggin"

But really you can feel it in the video. I never get these lil nostalgia trip games but I might spring for this.
Oh yeah, you weren't seeing things! The sprites are definitely Bonk inspired, right down to the walk animation.

Sails

Oct 27, 2017
Judging by some of the scanline sprite flicker, the overscan bar on the left of this shot on the website, plus the multiple of the NES PPU's 256x240, this does seem to be an ACTUAL NES game. Crazy.

UnxZklp.png

I do think they're using an expanded scanline limit mode commonly available in emulators. I only spotted two instances of sprite flicker in the trailer on another look and the width of these sprites would definitely cause quite a bit without it.

Last edited:

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to make something like this in GB Studio for the Gameboy Color? It looks great

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's unexpected... it looks very Super Mario 2 USA in gameplay (with a ground pound), and some rather nice pixel art. Weirdly I sorta prefer that to the HD graphics - Tommy's thousand yard stare in HD looks... off. I'll wait on impressions to see if its worth picking up. Going from the trailer, Im thinking it might actually be half decent.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
80s kids getting a gi joe game
90s babies getting a rugrats game
2000s kiddos left out again

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
80s kids getting a gi joe game
90s babies getting a rugrats game
2000s kiddos left out again
Makes sense nostalgia centric stuff is generally based on a business model where the generation has expendable income and well...points at the well everything of zennial economic conditionals.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I did not expect to actually be into this when I read the thread title. What an unexpected surprise.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
That looks fantastic. And also, funnily, way better than the actual Rugrats side scrollers we're got way back when.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
This is reminds me of Shovel Knight in that it feels like it takes so many elements from NES hits while looking like its own thing.

I guess I'm in?

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Love to see this and Toxic Crusaders being made to look and play like the games/consoles that were popular back when those properties came out.

I remember posting here that I used to draw these stages on long dot matrix printer paper of a beat 'em up take on Rugrats where you play as Tommy, Chuckie, Phil or Lil and all the stages were based on various episodes like Reptar on Ice, Chuckie's dream ("I'm not Tommy!!!") the toy store, the beach, the post office and so on.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Damn I am surprised to be excited about this. Probably haven't seriously thought about Rugrats in over 25 years but I liked it as a child and I can appreciate a quality game with any IP so I'm down

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
Judging by some of the scanline sprite flicker, the overscan bar on the left of this shot on the website, plus the multiple of the NES PPU's 256x240, this does seem to be an ACTUAL NES game. Crazy.

I do think they're using an expanded scanline limit mode commonly available in emulators. I only spotted two instances of sprite flicker in the trailer on another look and the width of these sprites would definitely cause quite a bit without it.

edit: ah it's just a rerelease

edit: or it isn't? so confused.

It is an actual NES game. With modern console versions too.

www.eurogamer.net

New Rugrats game coming to NES over 40 years after console's Japanese release

The NES released in Japan 40 years ago, but a new Rugrats game is on the way to Nintendo's old console next year. Rugra…

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Not gonna lie, there's something about the HD mode graphics in the modern console versions that feels...off to me. Like I look at the brief footage and can see 'OK yeah that really does match the art style of the cartoon' but something about it feels less interesting than the NES graphics.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, but I've always wanted a Rugrats game on the SNES when I was a kid. I loved the Ren & Stimpy games.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
I never watched Rugrats, but the retro graphics and gameplay on display here have me interested in this game.

The "HD" mode looks so far removed from the NES inspired mode. Like two totally different games, and the HD mode barely got covered in this trailer. That said I will just be playing the 8-bit mode.