Risitas

May 13, 2022
Good luck, I hope they can make a game with a realistic gameplay (the opposite of whatever FIFA was)

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
FIFA 2K25. It was either them or Konami to be fair.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I guess if anyone was going to give it a go it would be 2k. I wonder what they paid for it assuming they rumour is true.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Oh shit, this is exciting! Wait, am I thinking of Konami's football game or 2k's being a great series regarding gameplay? Is this even exciting?

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Ordinarily I would be jumping for joy for a big rival to EA's football game to emerge (since Konami dropped off) but all I can imagine is two companies with notorious microtransactions finding new and innovative ways to nickel and dime the consumer.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
Oh shit, this is exciting! Wait, am I thinking of Konami's football game or 2k's being a great series regarding gameplay? Is this even exciting?
Konami's ISS soccer series was much better than Fifa back in the day, 2K hasn't had a soccer game yet if I recall.

Will be interesting to see the outcome regardless I doubt anyone else but them could do it though at that level these days.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe it. The FIFA license doesn't actually give you anything. if 2K wanted to make a soccer game they always could have but the licensing (which isn't FIFA) is expensive and complicated.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, it's about time Fifa got some real competition (sorry Konami, but you lost it years ago). I'm not sure of 2K is up for it and it's a big risk for them if they payed what Fifa was asking. Should be interesting to see how the game turns out and what this means for EA's game. But competition is always good.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ordinarily I would be jumping for joy for a big rival to EA's football game to emerge (since Konami dropped off) but all I can imagine is two companies with notorious microtransactions finding new and innovative ways to nickel and dime the consumer.

My first thought as well, though admittedly I'm not a football/soccer fan so this is an outside observer view. Though if anyone can outdime Ultimate Team it'll be 2K.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the contract looks like for this. Because EAFC going on to be just as popular without the FIFA branding showed that it's not worth as much as FIFA execs thought it was. EA made the gamble to not pay for the license and it paid off for them.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Doesnt this user just find trademarks and stuff and reports them? They arent an insider from what I remember.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Soooo it's going to be a FIFA branded game without the leagues and without all FIFPRO players license? Take Two has the money to buy the FIFA license, all the teams and players, but... Would it be worth it? Doubt they get like half the sales of EA Sports FC

Joo

May 25, 2018
Can't really imagine anyone else making the new FIFA. Good luck to them if true, and while it's a massive undertaking that might take a few entries to become a real contender, it's high time for some competition.

Jul 18, 2018
Soooo it's going to be a FIFA branded game without the leagues and without all FIFPRO players license? Take Two has the money to buy the FIFA license, all the teams and players, but... Would it be worth it? Doubt they get like half the sales of EA Sports FC
FIFPRO license isn't exclusive, other titles such as the popular football manager has them. Guess the main pull might be the 2025 World Cup, especially if they are targeting the NA audience?

I wonder if they will go the route of Konami and let people mod the games, or i guess like their WWE games. Might be interesting

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
My current time played in FC 24 is 17 days and 19 hours, and that's not out of line with previous releases. I complain about EA's football games all the time (as do many others who play it), but the complaints mask how many things it does well and how much work it would be to get a barely acceptable replacement. And none of that work has anything with FIFA branding whose has made 0 difference in my experience this year.

Also, even getting a 100% successful replication of EA FC wouldn't be enough, that's a starting point. It would have to be good enough to convince my friends play it and switch series. It's a very social game that I play with family, high school friends, college friends, new friends, etc. I'm locked in until my friends decide they want to play another game.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
A reminder that EA was paying 150m a year for the FIFA license, and FIFA reportedly wanted to double that. It's what caused EA to decide to create EAFC.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
The licensing costs would be around one to two billion dollars over 4-5 years for FIFA trademark and club rights. That's a lotta dough.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
I would love a good Career mode in my football game, there hasn't been a good career mode in these games since ISS 2000.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has unfortunately made the transition to playing near nothing but ea fc, I can't wait for some competition. EA are a shambles of a company run purely on greed.

They have no idea on balance, gameplay or anything in between. If it isn't in the store they have zero idea. EA FC is honestly one of the worst football games I have ever played. And the constant mistakes EA make in regards to cards and promos is ridiculous.

I have over 800 hours logged and probably spent over $1000 on it because I love football and love the challenge but the quicker they get some real competition the better.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
This is if Xenomorphs and Predators decide to team up, EA's FUT and 2Ks micro transactions masked as character stats and customization is a lethal cocktail.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Do you know who makes the 2K games and what NBA 2K is structured like?

Like I do and understand as my son plays 2k24, but honestly EAFC in on another level.

It's nothing but store packs. What's today's content? Check the store. They have nearly killed the market as they transition to make everything untradeable and keep hiking the price of the store packs. They release SBCs and all are massively priced so how do you get the fodder? That's right store packs.

Mix that with gameplay that is near completely broken, no balance on anything they do, so power curve is just everywhere, and the game is in a mess. Hell a few weeks ago they literally made a broken SBC in which thousand received one of the best cards in the game, gave nothing to anybody else, so when you play champs you come against the card constantly. And this is on top of the near daily things that have been broken, from player SBCs to evos, you name it. And the only thing that ever gets fixed quickly if there is a bug or mistake, is you guessed it, store packs. People are still awaiting compensation from a broken hero player SBC released weeks ago. Yet they have released new ones since than.

My hope is at least with 2k the game will be playable and balanced. Something that from what I have seen on NBA is fine

Last edited:

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see what happens when EA has to actually compete with another sports game again from a company that can spend as much money as them. Both NFL and NHL games released some of their best when EA and 2K had rival sports games.

I know 2K will be just as greedy if not more so than EA but there's no doubt that they would kill the presentation for a FIFA 2K game. NBA 2K absolutely nails that aspect of basketball and no other sports game comes close to them when it comes to presentation. Even 2K's more than a decade old hockey games still do a better job at everything surrounding the gameplay (and there's an argument that EA haven't really improved upon the gameplay all that much either) and EA hasn't even tried to improve it.

I hope this is a console game and FIFA aren't just getting 2K to make that mobile game they talked about.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see what happens when EA has to actually compete with another sports game again from a company that can spend as much money as them. Both NFL and NHL games released some of their best when EA and 2K had rival sports games.

I know 2K will be just as greedy if not more so than EA but there's no doubt that they would kill the presentation for a FIFA 2K game. NBA 2K absolutely nails that aspect of basketball and no other sports game comes close to them when it comes to presentation. Even 2K's more than a decade old hockey games still do a better job at everything surrounding the gameplay (and there's an argument that EA haven't really improved upon the gameplay all that much either) and EA hasn't even tried to improve it.

I hope this is a console game and FIFA aren't just getting 2K to make that mobile game they talked about.

They honestly have not improved it, they have gone backwards. Set defensive depth at 71, constant pres/"s with no stamina loss. Midfield is over stacked and defensive AI is broken so all anybody does is run the wing, go to near post cut back and goal. If you don't do this you won't win. It's honestly the most broken, unplayable football game people have played in years. There are many YouTube videos explaining all the issues but there are so many. And as you said 2k in terms of MT are as bad as EA, but at least their games are fun to play and balanced with a slick presentation. None of which is true of EAFC

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
As much as I hate FIFA the org, more competition for EA would be good, considering Konami can't seem to do anything

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A new rival for EAFC? That's great! But making a completely new football game with good gameplay and lots of famous teams/players from the ground up is so difficult.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I don't believe it. The FIFA license doesn't actually give you anything. if 2K wanted to make a soccer game they always could have but the licensing (which isn't FIFA) is expensive and complicated.
It gives them the brand name. casual gamers will mistake it for the EA game if they just see there's a new FIFA game in the store.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
They honestly have not improved it, they have gone backwards. Set defensive depth at 71, constant pres/"s with no stamina loss. Midfield is over stacked and defensive AI is broken so all anybody does is run the wing, go to near post cut back and goal. If you don't do this you won't win. It's honestly the most broken, unplayable football game people have played in years. There are many YouTube videos explaining all the issues but there are so many. And as you said 2k in terms of MT are as bad as EA, but at least their games are fun to play and balanced with a slick presentation. None of which is true of EAFC
My 12 year old son has gone back to play FIFA 2014 on the 360, he likes the way it plays a lot more.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Interesting!
I wonder whether it's going to be called FIFA? Going to cause some confusion

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It gives them the brand name. casual gamers will mistake it for the EA game if they just see there's a new FIFA game in the store.
Probably won't end well for 2K if they are banking on that, EA have been making "EA" it's footy brand for a few years now and have already successfully rebranded to the casuals, a couple more years worth is only going to make that more so and when people see that 2K has no club rights the brand is fully dead afterwards (unless they just go fully International football based).

Them trying to go fully head to head with EA on this is going to be them wasting a lot of money for a gamble that probably only works for 1 year.

Oct 25, 2017
EA could use the competition but even if that's true it'll probably take a couple of years to build up a team and by that point the name of whatever this'll be might already be tainted.

They honestly have not improved it, they have gone backwards. Set defensive depth at 71, constant pres/"s with no stamina loss. Midfield is over stacked and defensive AI is broken so all anybody does is run the wing, go to near post cut back and goal. If you don't do this you won't win.
That's extremely exaggerated lol

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Just give a real simulation football game and I will be in heaven!!
please 2k do It!!

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
FIFA 2K26 is a great name if you're trying to wedge your game into the market.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
This is good news, but I just don't see it taking off without the necessary licenses. Nobody wants to play with "Merceyside Red" vs "MD White" or control "Ronaird". They really should fix licensing these things, because it just fuels anti-competitiveness in the market. Just make it so anybody can license club names for a set fee

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Probably won't end well for 2K if they are banking on that, EA have been making "EA" it's footy brand for a few years now and have already successfully rebranded to the casuals, a couple more years worth is only going to make that more so and when people see that 2K has no club rights the brand is fully dead afterwards (unless they just go fully International football based).

Them trying to go fully head to head with EA on this is going to be them wasting a lot of money for a gamble that probably only works for 1 year.

You're right with this but my friends and I still call it FIFA. We're not dumb enough to pick up the wrong game but I don't think, EA FC as a brand is a particularly strong, it's just the only relevant football game so it wins by default.

I think if they were to have feature parity with EA FC and the football played better, they could definitely pull people away with strong "FIFA is back" campaign.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017

100% this. EA has the Premiuer League exclusively, no game stands a chance without that license.

FIFA 2K26 is a great name if you're trying to wedge your game into the market.

Best 2K can hope for is some confused boomers buying the game by accident.
I have seen EAFC billboards during nearly all football matches I watched since 2023, EA is an official partner of the EPL and La Liga.
So I don't even believe "oh look it is FIFA25" crowd is all that big. Everyone EA wanted to know, knows about EAFC being the new FIFA.

The overall issue with launching a sports game to compete with the EAFCs, 2Ks and Maddens is that the competition has been refining and adding for years.
So even if you manage to obtain the license, you still need to digitize players, arenas etc. while creating a compelling sports game from scratch at the same time. You also can't "take your time" and delay because the license owner wants to be paid every year, whether you ship or don't is your problem.

Only chance imo to have a successful football game is the Rocket League route imo Something arcade-y and "out there" so the lack of licensed teams and players becomes irrelevant. Maybe a new take on Libero Grande (a football game from the PS1 era where you only control a single player) would work idk