• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda hoping there's a way to play PSP and PSVita games in the future (maybe PS5 BC?) all these games in my library that I just can't play anymore and support for the Vita is dead in the west.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a reason why? I can't imagine it's that expensive, like the PS2 was getting games until 2013. Poor Vita, getting took round back and shot.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Pour one out for the five people who keep insisting that the Vita getting a sole poorly translated visual novel every six months means it's still a thriving system that people actually like.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I was just looking at the ps store on my vita a few hours ago and thinking wow the banner has no more games on it and in the new releases tab I was surprised to see games still releasing recently.

Just allow me to play my vita games on a new hardware and all will be forgiven.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason why? I can't imagine it's that expensive, like the PS2 was getting games until 2013. Poor Vita, getting took round back and shot.

Maybe they are doing a PSN backend overhaul in prep for PS5 and not having to deal with Vita titles will make it easier?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
My guess is a PSN overhaul is planned for next gen, and they don't want to waste resources on making all the changes apply to the old hardware as well.

Oct 26, 2017
3558509-switch-lite-01.jpg

He still lives

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
At this point in-house support has already got to be down to a skeleton crew providing minimal assistance. Why not engender some good will by allowing these few enthusiasts to peter out naturally? Maybe I'm overestimating interest, but it seems premature compared to PSP...

I also wonder if this cut-off date is worldwide. Has cartridge manufacturing stopped in Asian markets?

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
RIP Vita, sadly as soon I got the Switch, I forgot that the Vita existed. Will plug in my Vita one last time for memories

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, putting everything aside, the Vita really has stayed around far more than anyone insisting it's dead ever expected it to be

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
The Vita didn't just die, it was murdered...

by Sony

The market did the killing. If there was ever a pulse, Sony would have kept going, just as they did with PS VR. Plus, the system's library is huge, and played a role in the indie boom, while also providing a gateway for ports of less demanding AA releases, and of course various games from Japan. For a system that did as poorly commercially, the level of support - and longevity - it did receive was remarkable, and it wouldn't be fair to ignore Sony's role in that.

Mistakes were made, strategic and technical, but ultimately, the audience just wouldn't show.

Top of my list: should have called it the PSP 2 and carried whatever brand equity they had there.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
At this point I have enough Vita games to last a lifetime. Do I wish it could've done better? Of course, but to me it'll always be the little handheld that could.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Vita was officially discontinued on March 1st this year.

It's an eight year old handheld console.

The fact it's lasted so long and has games still coming out until next year when compared to other mobile gaming platforms shows it had a good run.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
It must be costing more money for Sony to house new Vita games on their digital store servers vs people actually buying those said games. Not surprised they're doing this

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully not before Deep Silver deliver the Vita version of Mighty No 9 that they have already sold people.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I hope sony does something to keep their handheld games playable in the future.

There are a couple of ips that started on the vita that i think are worth pursuing a bit further. I mean the only one that sony seems to care about so far is gravity rush.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When this news breaks again in early 2020 I hope the official PlayStation Twitter replies saying "RIP" The response to it would be hilarious 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.