Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're right. Square Enix USA always does the easiest thing these days. They're no longer a company driven my passion or love. Ten, twenty years ago Square would have retranslated all of the PS1 FF's because they knew they were lacking in some areas and even made the stories more confusing than they needed to be. When they re-released FFIV on PS1 instead of using the original FFII script they went all out and gave the game the better translation it deserved. They did the same thing with other classics along the way. But not their most famous games. Nope. What happened to this company?
That might be all explained by price point. A retranslation could make sense for a full boxed retail release, but just does not make financial sense for a digital game they are only going to charge $10-15 for.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Never understood that timeline with the black hair with long hair dude, never understood the connection.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
That might be all explained by price point. A retranslation could make sense for a full boxed retail release, but just does not make financial sense for a digital game they are only going to charge $10-15 for.

Who cares. It's FFVII and VIII. They deserve all star treatment. VIII will probably get a shag carpet rather than flaming red.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I do want to replay VIII conveniently on PS4 or Switch, so I do hope this happens.

Please retranslate the game. I'm fucking begging you..

legendsoflocalization.com

Legends of Localization: Squall’s “Whatever” Line in Japanese Final Fantasy VIII

The English version of Final Fantasy VIII is filled with the phrase "whatever". What was the Japanese version like?
They aren't going to retranslate the game when they couldn't even patch a known music bug in other remasters quickly.

Plus 'whatever' is Squall's catchphase. He says it in almost every other appearance he makes, for better or worse. It's not going anywhere.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah this isn't happening. SE hasn't even done the minimal re-release work like they have on current-gen consoles. It could use a fresh translation, but not a remake. Maybe remake IX tho, that would be a real treat.

Edit: well I'm an idiot, this is specific to a remaster, not a remake.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
h60B2B015

Can't wait
This is fantastic.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
You really want to know?

that was Squall's father
Sure, I played and finished the game when it came out. Reading your spoiler I guess that what's I assumed but wasn't really sure and I always got bored playing that timeline as it seemed pointless to me, this was a long time ago thou and my memory of the game is hazy, I might play again if this remaster comes out.
I loved the card game, it was very addicting.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Who cares. It's FFVII and VIII. They deserve all star treatment. VIII will probably get a shag carpet rather than flaming red.
I understand your appeal to principles here, but I think you get what you pay for. These are cheap re-releases of old games for people who simply want the old game again.

If they sold it in a box for $60 then I'm sure you could expect a re-translation.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. Thought this also said Remake, but its a remaster. How does this Sabi dude have so much info. My lord

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sure, I played and finished the game when it came out. Reading your spoiler I guess that what's I assumed but wasn't really sure and I always got bored playing that timeline as it seemed pointless to me, this was a long time ago thou and my memory of the game is hazy, I might play again if this remaster comes out.
I loved the card game, it was very addicting.
Those were my favorite parts of the game. It was like the game contained its own prequel. Not just the relevancy of who Laguna was as I explained in the spoiler, but it also explained the backstory of the various nations and peoples that Squall and crew would later see. Plus the battle music was awesome.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
I understand your appeal to principles here, but I think you get what you pay for here. These are cheap re-releases of old games for people who simply want the old game again.

If they sold it in a box for $60 then I'm sure you could expect a re-translation.

Precisely. Cheap. Just like all of their other efforts these days. Let's ignore the fact they've released FFIV like a billion times and been translated just as many times. But nah, gotta do the minimum with the PS1 trilogy.

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I also confused Remaster with a Remake at first, but it would still be amazing to have an updated version of Final Fantasy VIII on current consoles.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
People are reading way too much into the term Remaster. Doubt that SE will even use it, that's probably just the leaker's interpretation. They didn't call 7 or 9 remasters, they just kept them as their vanilla names. They'll probably do the same here. 10 and 12 are different beasts.

Also why the fuck would they retranslate lmao. A lot of money for something half the fan base wants and half the fan base will dislike because it messes with their nostalgia. Save a new script for a remake. Plus whatever is his catch phrase now, like it or not.

A port on par with 9 will be great, I'm on day one. Speed up and higher res models is enough for me.

They would need to get rid of the random encounters. Can't stand them anymore.
That was already a feature in the game, just get Diablo. The game doesn't require you to grind EXP at all, in fact it arguably makes thing harder. Once you leave Balamb you should basically only be doing boss battles.

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
If it's an actual Remake, I hope this is true just so they can actually make the game not be a complete POS now. You have a chance to do right Square, don't eff it up again.

Remaster though, bleh.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
FF8 will always be in my top 5 Final Fantasy games. I still remember coming home from Middle School and seeing a copy my dad had bought. He didn't like rpg's so he gave it to me.

The soundtrack is still phenomenal.

d8nj28m-deb445ab-2198-4815-991a-ed02595ece2f.jpg

Oct 30, 2017
I will scream if they released if immediately, can't wait to dive again in one of my favorite worlds ( if not THE FAVORITE world ) again.

FFVIII always had the special sweet spot in my gaming heart, thinking about going back now makes me so cheerful already ^_^

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
2nd favorite Final Fantasy after FF6.

Please make it so

Damn, now I have to listen to the soundtrack and be reminded of my endless junction grind

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I can't even express how happy this would make me.

Please be a "available now" with a PS4 dynamic theme.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
If it's an actual Remake, I hope this is true just so they can actually make the game not be a complete POS now. You have a chance to do right Square, don't eff it up again.

Remaster though, bleh.

FF8 and 9 are in the "not popular enough or show their age enough to be properly remade from the ground up but we still want them on modern platforms" scenario. In that case, an FF9 type port is what i expect

BlueWolfKing

Nov 22, 2018
New York
I really hope this is real. Final fantasy VIII was my first and favorite final fantasy! I never beat the game though XD after all these years I'm still stuck on disc 2 I believe on the part where your at a facility and after disguising your team as the enemy and then you have to escape and fight a Huge tank boss thing. Lol now I dont know what to do while I wait for the Square enix showing tonight, either continue Kingdom hearts 3 or take out my ps1 and play alittle of FF VIII and Parasite Eve?

Last edited:

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Please be true. This is the game's 20th anniversary year after all and I'm sick of VII getting all this attention during it. Also sick of that dumb meme with the ballroom scene.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
With VII being remade, and possibly VIII getting a remaster, maybe we can finally move on to the FF game most in-need of a definitive edition: VI. Or hell, have the Octopath devs remake the game using that style!

Status
Not open for further replies.