• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Not believing any leak without Joy-Cons and at same time detachable Joy-Cons on its logo.

Oct 26, 2017
Wait on closer inspection the ones on the left are fan mockups, but the one on the right is close to the silicon case of BigBen. Minimal top and bottom bezels, same button placement and even the large round power button. Shit, is that one an old mockup as well?
The blue one aligns with the Chinese prototype leak (or whatever it was), the transparent protective shell leak, and the Big Ben leak. I don't think any of them are using official Nintendo imagery (lack of any button markings on this one for example) but they are all getting a specific design from somewhere.
Edit: The blue one could be a recent fan one that was made based on the other leaks, I suppose, but either way I think it'll turn out to be a decent representation of the real thing.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a cheap device aimed at people that want to buy a second Switch and people that want a good portable solution. I will be buying it as a second Switch for my wife and play some Stardew Valley together. I hope they introduce a program where I can buy a game once and install it on both devices and play local co op.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
These are mockups. The colored ones on the left are renders we've seen before. The baby blue one looks new though.

kkZRdiq.png

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For reference, here's a previous render from another accessory maker (that also used fan mockups in different images):
960x0.jpg

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
So some games won't work with this?

No detachable joycons?

It basically no longer is a Switch anymore.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
You can tell its fake because one is all black, and apparently Nintendo isn't willing to make me happy by releasing black Joy-Con.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Why use + and - on the joy-cons if the joy-cons aren't detachable?

I still don't have a Switch, I'm not sure if they work as buttons or are just visual indicator of the direction of the joy-con.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
For reference, here's a previous render from another accessory maker (that also used fan mockups in different images):
960x0.jpg
The sticks and d-pad on this image look different, but the rest of the layout does look similar.

I still don't have a Switch, I'm not sure if they work as buttons or are just visual indicator of the direction of the joy-con.
The + and - buttons are the Start and Select buttons.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

They're the successors to the Select and Start buttons.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
Why do we have 2 versions of switch mini on one single image? I mean jesus have some consistency to make it genuine

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
I'm really starting to believe that this is the design but those game screenshots throw a little doubt into the mix.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
I starting to think that the Switch mini is a deliberate hoax started by small accessories companies to advertise their brand.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
God they even left in the Metroid Prime screen overlay on the black one that I remember seeing years ago in a fan make mockup. Obviously fake.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
I really don't see a future official Switch having a D-pad by default; that's always my go-to "this smells funny"

Of course, that prediction could be wrong, but I suspect Nintendo would be very concerned about UI consistency.

91osKh1.png

It's things like that. It's by no means an insurmountable issue, but it's absolutely the sort of thing Nintendo cares about more than people imagine.
While these renders are definitely fake the ui there definitely wouldn't be the reason since the Hori Joy-Con uses a regular dpad icon for this screen iirc.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Hang on, does that basically have no bezel?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The controllers dont come off? Seems weird since that was a major part of their marketing from the get go.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I really don't see a future official Switch having a D-pad by default; that's always my go-to "this smells funny"

Of course, that prediction could be wrong, but I suspect Nintendo would be very concerned about UI consistency.

91osKh1.png

It's things like that. It's by no means an insurmountable issue, but it's absolutely the sort of thing Nintendo cares about more than people imagine.
The Nintendo that has a 2D only 3DS product that can play the same games which have in game indicators for 3D and early 3DS home/star/select buttons certainly does not give a fuck about UI consistency.

The sky blue one on the right that is as accurate and likely as the final product definitely has minimal bezels if none at all, yeah.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
I would put money on the large baby blue one being real at this point, the others are just there as a poor choice to fill out the image

Galava

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017

91osKh1.png

Uummmm the buttons are already in the UI for the Pro controller...

BrSvJVj.jpg

It will still have some bezel.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
It was the truth hiding in front of us the entire time, that's what it was. Nintendo going back to the d-pad for the mini gives me hope for revised joycons with the proper revision, that's the most exciting thing for me right now.
I think that leak is fake because of the details the allegedly leaker released alongside those pics. He or she said this new model wouldn't have dock mode.

It's funny how all these renders contradict all the info we have from media outlets. WSJ said it wouldn't look at all like a Vita and Nikkei said the device would be dockable.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
The Nintendo that has a 2D only 3DS product that can play the same games which have in game indicators for 3D and early 3DS home/star/select buttons certainly does not give a fuck about UI consistency.

The sky blue one on the right that is as accurate and likely as the final product definitely has minimal bezels if none at all, yeah.
That's awesome tbh, i'd legit buy it just for that.

So where are the speakers then? Sorry if it's obvious, I think I can see but surely it's not those cutouts under the system where your hands would cover them?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That chasis is identical to the blue switch mini from the pic :O

That picture has been floating around since April, someone easily could have made a fake mockup based on that.

I guess the blue ones could be real but putting them in the image along with the years old fake renders is a bit of a red flag to me.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

So where are the speakers then? Sorry if it's obvious, I think I can see but surely it's not those cutouts under the system where your hands would cover them?
yes, that would be the spreaker holes.

Galava

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017

The speakers are supposed to be these things.

bUj2qXf.jpg

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I think that leak is fake because of the details the allegedly leaker releases alongside those pics. He or she said this new model wouldn't have dock mode.

It's funny how all these renders contradict all the info we have from media outlets. WSJ said it wouldn't look at all like a Vita and Nikkei said the device would be dockable.
The black render which is almost exactly the same as yhis sky blue one has nodes next to the usb-c port for a dock, so its looking like its dockable at the moment. As for the vita, technically it doesn't look like a vita at all. I mean its semantics at this point, but it looks more like a Wii U gamepad then a vita.

Yep, bottom firing speakers, but I doubt your hands could cover them that much.

Oct 26, 2017
I think that leak is fake because of the details the allegedly leaker released alongside those pics. He or she said this new model wouldn't have dock mode.

The details are sketchy for sure, but these accessory people seem to be building something around it. Then again, they're also using 2 year old photoshops so idk.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
The black render which is almost exactly the same as yhis sky blue one has nodes next to the usb-c port for a dock, so its looking like its dockable at the moment. As for the vita, technically it doesn't look like a vita at all. I mean its semantics at this point, but it looks more like a Wii U gamepad then a vita.

Yep, bottom firing speakers, but I doubt your hands could cover them that much.
The report said it wouldn't look like a traditional handheld like the Vita for example.

That port could be for charging, the person who released that pic said the device wouldn't be dockable.