• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
tenor.gif
Sorry. I don't have a magic reality generator to "enhance" the photo.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Gotta be pretty stupid to take photos of a NDA'ed devkit in a recognisable space. Anyone who works there would know where this photo came from.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
Was hoping for a new material for the sticks. Other than that, controller looks like a nice improvement.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
For anyone hot taking on devkit looks, why?

End product will be that over designed and safe piece of consumer plastic that is extremely badly cooled down for heat it generates just so it can be slick and as small as possible.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Cool I guess.

Controllers are prototypes, the edges look a little too sharp for that to be final design. They also look thicc af

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
wouldn't expect this to be the final design that ships to consumers. I'm kind of surprised they even bother to use something other than DS4's for development.

*edit*

haha didn't even pay attention to that montrosity that is the PS5 dev kit. of course the final design isn't going to look anything like that. They're basically maximizing ventilation and debugging with that. It's just a cheap plastic shell for parts.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
The flat dpad controller with the light bar is a PS4 prototype controller. The PS5 controllers are in the first pic only.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I honestly couldn't care if it looks like ugliest thing I have ever seen.

As long as it's well made and doesn't sound like a jet engine when it's under a bit of stress. And longer battery on controllers please

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm in the minority on ERA, but style takes a backseat to durability and functionality when it comes to Hardware design. Don't really care how it looks, just that it works well.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Glad you're not in charge of product/ industrial design.

Beyond hideous. Thank goodness it's just for the dev unit though.
I'd prefer function over form, especially in industrial design. Any design that reduces function is bad. PS4 Pro chassis was designed for looks at the expense of cooling performance, that makes it a terrible design from a functional or industrial standpoint.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I don't even think that's a devkit. We're being trolled.

We know the devkits do use this design though. A dev confirmed they had several of them in their offices before deleting the post and iirc their Twitter account. In the Wired article the writer described seeing a devkit that used this design. Plus of course we know that Sony patented this design.

Also, the controller on the right, that touchpad looks pretty glossy. I'm still hoping that it's a touchscreen that'll be in the final version.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't some pictures of this leak a while back? I feel like I've seen this design before.