• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
As this "news" could have an impact on the PC gaming landscape. I thought it is thread worthy.

SemiAccurate S|A said:
For several years now SemiAccurate has been saying the the 10nm process as proposed by Intel would never be financially viable. Now we are hearing from trusted moles that the process is indeed dead and that is a good thing for Intel, if they had continued along their current path the disaster would have been untenable. Our moles are saying the deed has finally been done.

https://semiaccurate.com/2018/10/22/intel-kills-off-the-10nm-process/

I know S|A has a not too positive reputation, but they have been right before. What does everyone think of this news?

Edit: Adding The Oregon Live report:

Mike Rogoway (Oregan Live) said:
Intel will split its vaunted manufacturing unit into three pieces, the company told employees Monday. And Sohail Ahmed, who has jointly led the manufacturing organization since 2016, will retire next month.

https://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/index.ssf/2018/10/intel_manufacturing_vp_sohail.html

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
And AMD is launching 7nm CPUs and GPUs next year, right? Market's gonna be really interesting indeed.

Buddeh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand how someone might think this means Intel can't even do 10nm, so they'll stick to 14nm for the foreseeable future.

Anyways, I'm really really happy AMD is back. If they can beat Intel to the 7nm market, even by months, that would be huge for them.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, because we're so close to 7nm it doesn't make sense to introduce anything else.

That will be $1000, will you be paying me with cash or credit card?

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand how someone might think this means Intel can't even do 10nm, so they'll stick to 14nm for the foreseeable future.

Anyways, I'm really really happy AMD is back. If they can beat Intel to the 7nm market, even by months, that would be huge for them.
Exactly. If AMD is first with 7nm it is a huge milestone for them.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did Intel dominating put them this mess, they just got complacent?

How can they easily jump to 7nm, what's different that makes that more achievable?

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AMD is in a really good position then if Intel can't get 10nm out the door. Intel will likely just try to go to a 7nm process, but the question is how long this will take and what AMD manages to produce on a 7nm node in the meantime.

Exciting times in the CPU space, wish I bought that AMD stock two years back.

OP
OP
Vanta Aurelius
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
The article is probably insinuating that Intel is just following a route that's similar to what TSMC and Samsung are doing in their 7nm process than doing what they were originally planning for their 10nm process.

Buddeh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Intel will deny it until their blue in the face, but that looks a lot like a thinly veiled reference to AMD's new Ryzen 2 processors being referred to as using a 12nm node despite them essentially being exactly the same as the 14nm design. AMD themselves have explained the 12nm design is "not an area statement, it's a power efficiency statement," and when delidding his Ryzen 2 chips De8auer found that there was zero difference in the size of the CPU compared with first-gen Ryzen.

Though the naming is not down to AMD, it's down to GlobalFoundries who created the 12nm FinFET design AMD have used for the Ryzen 7 2700Xand Ryzen 5 2600X. But GlobalFoundries are claiming density improvements over their own 14nm process, so it's possible there really are 12nm transistors in there.

But node measurements are pretty hazy at the best of times. While it used to be measured by the drawn gate length of a volume production chip it's now a bit more ephemeral, and Intel aren't exactly pure as the driven snow in this either.

Well okay them

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
As this "news" could have an impact on the PC gaming landscape. I thought it is thread worthy.

https://semiaccurate.com/2018/10/22/intel-kills-off-the-10nm-process/

I know S|A has a not too positive reputation, but they have been right before. What does everyone think of this news?

I think they throw shit against the wall and every so often, it sticks.

Do I believe this, though? Absolutely. It's been an absolute dumpster fire that gets delayed year after year. They've hired a lot of smart people of late (ie Jim Keller, etc). If they've come up with a new plan that keeps what was working, ditches what didn't, and incorporates ideas from the new blood, it kind of makes sense just to ditch it and start with something new. That 10nm process has become quicksand for them.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see. They've been pushing 10nm back as far as they can, but I think they'll get there, even if it hurts their wallet

And the consumers

Save us Zen 2

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's more like 16nm++, though. If this were Intel, that's how they'd label things. It's their 16nm process with some enhancements. Intel is always more honest about that and just calls those a + process.
Lol calling intel honest. Intel says their 9900k chip is 95 TDP when it is 221 watts

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Lol calling intel honest. Intel says their 9900k chip is 95 TDP when it is 221 watts

Dude, I'm rocking a 2700 and can't wait for 7nm Zen 2 to hit. And Intel and Nvidia are both at the top of my shit list. I'm just saying, it's the 16nm process with enhancements. Intel would have called that a + process, though.

I didn't read the reviews, but I was wondering what the TDP was gonna be on that. Cause you damn well know Intel didn't switch to soldering out of choice. LOL

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude, I'm rocking a 2700 and can't wait for 7nm Zen 2 to hit. And Intel and Nvidia are both at the top of my shit list. I'm just saying, it's the 16nm process with enhancements. Intel would have called that a + process, though.

I didn't read the reviews, but I was wondering what the TDP was gonna be on that. Cause you damn well know Intel didn't switch to soldering out of choice. LOL
I have the 2700X, amazing cpu.

Will buy 7nm ryzen for sure

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's more like 16nm++, though. If this were Intel, that's how they'd label things. It's their 16nm process with some enhancements. Intel is always more honest about that and just calls those a + process.
Hmm, disclaimer: I honestly have no clue about chips and their sizes, what's in the market and what's being created.

However, I am hunting for jobs and have been seeing lots of AMD jobs focusing on "16nm / 14nm / 7nm chips" and "CPU / GPU / APU and semi-custom AMD's products featured in Sony Playstation and Microsoft Xbox" so to me it seems like the focus is now on 16nm / 14nm / 7nm chip combo.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
And AMD is launching 7nm CPUs and GPUs next year, right? Market's gonna be really interesting indeed.

So are they just gonna skip 10 and go straight to 7nm?

Thats why intel is probably trying to leapfrog amd with their own 7nm

You wait for another lake

Yes, because we're so close to 7nm it doesn't make sense to introduce anything else.

That will be $1000, will you be paying me with cash or credit card?

Exactly. If AMD is first with 7nm it is a huge milestone for them.

AMD is in a really good position then if Intel can't get 10nm out the door. Intel will likely just try to go to a 7nm process, but the question is how long this will take and what AMD manages to produce on a 7nm node in the meantime.

Exciting times in the CPU space, wish I bought that AMD stock two years back.

Yes, AMD is focusing on 16nm / 14nm / 7nm chips. 10nm doesn't make that much sense.

TSMC/Samsung 7nm is actually "7nm", pure marketing unlike Intel's name for their nodes.

Intel's 10nm is comparable to the others "7nm", and Intel's is usually smaller in most things, unlike the others that base their marketing name on one thing like Gate size or something.

But then again, semiconductor manufacture is more of an exotic EE art, so 99.99% of people take the marketing name at face value.

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
TDP is a magic number under certain controlled conditions, they actually list the conditions but most people don't know how they reach that number, so they say stuff like your say.

Also, TDP Watts /= Power Watts

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vanta Aurelius
Oct 27, 2017
ATL

Welp, the rumor has been debunked. Nothing to see here folks...

I guess making a thread off of a SemiAccurate article is always a hard gamble.

Edit: It is strange that Intel responded to Charlie's article so quickly. They usually never release any responses to his stuff. Maybe shareholders are antsy enough about 10nm that Intel wants to nip any possible agitating news in the butt.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ

Intel is just 3 years late with 10nm

gqUFpzf.gif

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i see how it is, no point point in even trying to argue with you if your gonna just gonna argue in bath faith
I mean, they have a point in that Intel is a scummy tech company but you can't just hand wave that in a discussion like they have.

What I'm most interested in is actually AMDs APU line-up, I made a build for a friend with the 2400g I think it was and that actually did exceedingly well on 720p. The great thing was you chuck a GPU in and it's actually a not bad CPU.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
TSMC/Samsung 7nm is actually "7nm", pure marketing unlike Intel's name for their nodes.

Intel's 10nm is comparable to the others "7nm", and Intel's is usually smaller in most things, unlike the others that base their marketing name on one thing like Gate size or something.

But then again, semiconductor manufacture is more of an exotic EE art, so 99.99% of people take the marketing name at face value.
TIL. Thanks!

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin
Repost:
I heard this rumour 2-3 months ago from friend working for supplier at Intel Oregon.
Something to it anyway, Intel are re-tooling Intel Israel F28 from 10nm to 14nm so as they can get some product out the door there & recoup some of the investment costs.

I heard its the back-end process that is the problem for 10nm.
Intel process is split into front-end (non-copper) and back-end (copper).
They went very ambitious with new materials for back-end & it has failed badly.
Rumour is the back-end is going to a modified 14nm node.

Nov 8, 2017
I hope intel burns, they deserve it for doing nothing while they didnt had competition

They did plenty, they just charged heavily for it. Hex cores for consumers / gamers have been around for like 4 years but they had no reason to offer it at competitive prices.

10nm delays are not related to lack of competition.