• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they're gonna grab a lot of talent in the years to come. If their announced projects are successful then whew, should be a very bright future for them.

Are you talking about Cygames or Cygames Osaka? The first one is the main company and the mobile developer, the other is a subsidiary for development of console games.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I wouldn't be surprised if they all went to CyGames. I wonder how many devs from other Japanese game dev companies are leaving to work for CyGames?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
No surprise - lack of a mobile hit in the last couple of years have put them in a bad position.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
You would think if they have some kind of vague insight to a mass exodus they would at least have a vague reason why

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ni No Kuni 2 really hurt them huh? The studio is clearly talented, this news really fucking sucks. They just need been direction and writing :/

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Does not Cygames have virtually unlimited money? They can probably offer more money than any other Japanese company.

Oct 25, 2017
It's very likely not true but I want to believe the fact they bought Comcept was a sign they were desperate to keep hiring new people.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Inafune working a mobile game for Level 5?

I think there was an interview about it recently.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Man, Level 5 has made a lot of bad decisions during the last few years but didn't think things were so bad.

Hope the new projects are eventually good, it would be a shame if we don't get more Layton.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I guess there's no source for this info, but I can believe it. Anyone who has been following Level-5 should know that recently the company has been struggling to deliver like they have in the past. Clearly they have been going through issues of some sort.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Woah man, that's super concerning. Wonder what's happening internally that so many people decided to quit. Hope this doesn't deal some sort of death blow to the company, I like Level-5 games =/

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt this has to do with a mass exodus of employees though, surely. If they left on their own accord then it speaks more to working conditions etc.

Hard to say though until the facts begin to emerge.
The lack of constant money flow results in them having to announce a bunch of games at once and providing unrealistic release dates. You cant behave like SE and delay games until they are "ready" without making your money. Meanwhile mobile games devs keep working on more and more ambitious titles and get to see the fruits of their labour every couple of months. Your devs will stay put under such conditions if you work for Nintendo or on Dragon Quest....or if they have the feeling that the company leadership is still making the right moves and the publisher is growing, doesnt look like it right now.

Their 3DS to current gen transition was abysmal so far and the next big thing post Yokai Watch doesnt seem anywhere close to be launched.
There is a reason why companies like Atlus, Falcom and co. used to focus on one system and a few projects at a time...the second Hino thought they could handle 3DS/portabls, mobile in addition to multiple HD projects things went sour fast. Sometimes less is more.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
Level-5 continues to be an inept, disappointing, and poorly managed studio. Sad to say it's not surprising at all at this point.

Hopefully they can right the ship sooner than later.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon Go kinda killed Yokai Watch. It and Sun/Moon were a one-two punch. Then they did a soft reboot on the anime to make it more kid-friendly.

It killed nothing. lol Yokai Watch after PGO still sold very well and if the anime did anything it was to make it less kid-friendly lol The previous was the one kid friendly, while the new one is less in comparison.

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
It killed nothing. lol Yokai Watch after PGO still sold very well and if the anime did anything it was to make it less kid-friendly lol The previous was the one kid friendly, while the new one is less in comparison.

Just so we're all on the same page, Jessie seems to be saying the Pokemon anime was made more kid-friendly (which, I disagree but that's neither here nor there) well I think you're saying the latest Yokai Watch anime is less kid-friendly.

Or am i misreading one or both of you?

Oct 25, 2017
That can't be good.
Suddenly that Glassdoor page for Level-5 abby doesn't seem so farfetched.
Must be real bad if it's a mass exodus.

Pokémon Go kinda killed Yokai Watch. It and Sun/Moon were a one-two punch. Then they did a soft reboot on the anime to make it more kid-friendly.

Shadowside is far less kid friendly than the first series. The show even got a bit of backlash for being "too scary" (and for the hot pot Yo-kai with the spout crotch)

Still waiting for YK3 in America.

February 8th.
I'm wondering about Snack World. That was supposed to get localized for this year, but so far nothing.

Level 5 and Microsoft not on good terms, doubt that has changed.

Yep. True Fantasy Live Online killed that.
I don't get it, it's like the people saying MS should buy PlatinumGames. Did they forget what a complete mess Scalebound was?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Damn. They have been trying their hardest with Yokai Watch and Inazuma Eleven, probably wasn't enough. After the DS Years where they were on a high thanks to Layton, it always felt like they just couldn't get there again. Hopefully the talent lands back on their feet if true, Capcom and Nintendo would be great fits.

YW was huge. YW2 sold 6m units across all versions. It is definitely their biggest franchise to date.

YW4 will prove if it is or isn't. the last couple games did decently, but this is the next numbered title on a successful platform. if it doesn't do well, L5 is gonna be in a world of hurt

The last entries sold pretty well. They sold way less than previous entries but still more than decently.

YW3 sold 2,3m across all versions. Busters sold 500k units.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Stop. It hurts.
Yep. True Fantasy Live Online killed that.
I don't get it, it's like the people saying MS should buy PlatinumGames. Did they forget what a complete mess Scalebound was?

Scalebound was too ambitious of a project for Platinum anyways. The problems with that game came down to way more than Microsoft itself. The engine was horrible (they built on the horrible early versions of UE4), they were spread to thin, and multiple other reasons like Dragons and the AI are incredibly hard to get down. Kamiya to this day is open to working with MS again and doesn't blame them.

Anyways, Platinum Games shouldn't be bought because they are doing fine enough as is.

A lot of things get canceled behind the scenes but most of the time we don't hear about it. Most of the time devs can't afford to hold grudges nor should unless the company they have a grudge towards hasn't changed.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know there were even hints of issues there. Wow, this is super unexpected.