EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
So, Sony is working with studios, poaching top talents and bringing them to Sony, and then shutting them down?

They clearly didn't poach the leadership and people where happy to leave.
I have no clue how Sony could shut down a 3rd party studio.
Maybe they could cancel the publishing contract if certain goals aren't met which could lead to studio closure because of lost finances.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Opening a new studio and searching for talent per corporation headoffice is somewhat out of the norm.
Don't you normally announce the new studio and project to get peoples interest ?

Maybe the team needs time and wants to stay out of the spotlight.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I was just wondering how long it gonna take after the creation of the studio that is all. Well I don't want to push them, betetr have them release a working and succesful game than end up closing their recently established studio if they fail. Meanwhile we can rejoice on the other titles till this comes out. Hopefully it brings some kind of new ideas and not a classical genre.

Yeah, I wasn't calling you out or anything, just expanding on your point. Nowadays games take time and sometimes they get canceled and/or rebooted and take even more time. Nothing we can do about it but wishing them well

Jul 2, 2021
I do wonder how long Sony goes before announcing the studio. Do they announce the studio and the fact they're making a new IP early to drive further hires like Haven/Firewalk did?
Maybe it's not a new studio but just a new "team" inside one of Sony's offices. It looks like this team is in California. So they could be a new team at Sony HQ in San Mateo (where PixelOpus was), at Visual Arts (they're trying for quite some time to get their own dev team) or at San Diego Studio (MLB The Show).
Didn't learn their lesson.
They did learn their lesson. They got rid of the bad management.

Rixam

Jan 2, 2023
Maybe it's not a new studio but just a new "team" inside one of Sony's offices. It looks like this team is in California. So they could be a new team at Sony HQ in San Mateo (where PixelOpus was), at Visual Arts (they're trying for quite some time to get their own dev team) or at San Diego Studio (MLB The Show).
Yeah that's true, I just feel like the Sony Interactive Entertainment on all the LinkedIn profiles shows a level of secrecy that I wouldn't usually expect for a new team at an existing studio (unless that studio isn't on LinkedIn like San Diego Studio) since normally that's fairly open knowledge

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
So why keep it a secret?

And if true, game is probably four, five, six years away.
The partnership with Deviation Games was announced early in development with a lot of fanfare and we saw how that ended up. Think the plan will be to get things in place low key before a formal announcement for widescale recruitment.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
Have I got this right?
1. 2021: Sony announces partnership with Deviation on a new game (inspired by Call of Duty multiplayer?)
2. 2021-2022: Deviation grows massively and opens up new offices, puts PlayStation controllers everywhere
3. Rumors arise of problems with partnership, Deviation scales back growth
4. 2022-2023: Blundell leaves. He and some former staff said to be working for PlayStation
5. 2024: Deviation shuts down

If most of the team moved over to a secret PlayStation studio, would they be able to continue where they left off or start over? Question of cost of paying to buy the IP rights vs cost of starting over.

my prediction

Concord will be this only FPS PVP Multiplayer only game from PlayStation Firewalk
Marathon will be Extraction FPS PvP Multiplayer only game from PlayStation Bungie

and this Jason Blundell Game will be this FPS PvP Multiplayer with Campaing (maybe with a zombie similar mode??) - not yet revealed studio

Sony is trying to cover all the bases and this is good, hiring top talent, jason blundell is a master in his craft, good news for Sony PlayStation
As someone who almost always plays single player only games, these all sound the same to me... Why would I want 3 PVP first person shooter MP games? I like that at least 1 of them has a campaign, I guess.

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
Am I the only one shocked at senior developers calling out their colleagues like that in public? I always thought they have their own circle.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have I got this right?
1. 2021: Sony announces partnership with Deviation on a new game (inspired by Call of Duty multiplayer?)
2. 2021-2022: Deviation grows massively and opens up new offices, puts PlayStation controllers everywhere
4. 2022-2023: Blundell leaves. He and some former staff said to be working for PlayStation

If most of the team moved over to a secret PlayStation studio, would they be able to continue where they left off or start over? Question of cost of paying to buy the IP rights vs cost of starting over.
With the way PlayStation usually work, they probably already own everything created during the development of Deviation's game.

Last edited:

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
As someone who almost always plays single player only games, these all sound the same to me... Why would I want 3 PVP first person shooter MP games? I like that at least 1 of them has a campaign, I guess.
Same reason that someone who doesn't play open world games would want Spider-Man, Horizon, and Ghost of Tsushima.

That is to say, they won't want them.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Banned
Sep 13, 2022
Have I got this right?

To someone who plays mostly multiplayer games I can assure you that by the descriptions above those are 3 wildly different game types.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
Same reason that someone who doesn't play open world games would want Spider-Man, Horizon, and Ghost of Tsushima.

That is to say, they won't want them.

To someone who plays mostly multiplayer games I can assure you that by the descriptions above those are 3 wildly different game types.

Ah ok. So i take it the difference is in the universes they've crafted, the setting, lore, the feel of the gameplay etc?

I guess in my head when I heard the descriptions I thought of Call of Duty Zombies and then Battlefield and then Destiny, which seem too similar to each other. But it could also be TF2, L4D2, CS2 which are wildly different.

Concord could be a galaxy spanning game, whilst FireSprite's could be much more grounded, then the secret studio's could be more fantastical.

I guess now I'm more intrigued!

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Just seem clear that Sony really believes in the pitch, to a point to create a new studio fro the ground up, but didn't believe in management

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
Have I got this right?

playstation players for years have been asking ,where are the FPS, well sony is bringing not one, but many of them

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's true about this. If this was Sony's way of weeding out people that needed to go (supposedly toxic environment) and start from scratch, then I'm glad they didn't give up on those that deserve the work and deserve to be employed.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Ah ok. So i take it the difference is in the universes they've crafted, the setting, lore, the feel of the gameplay etc?

I guess in my head when I heard the descriptions I thought of Call of Duty Zombies and then Battlefield and then Destiny, which seem too similar to each other. But it could also be TF2, L4D2, CS2 which are wildly different.

Concord could be a galaxy spanning game, whilst FireSprite's could be much more grounded, then the secret studio's could be more fantastical.

Kind of. I guess in my head it's like comparing Overwatch (Concord), Hunt: Showdown (Marathon), and Call of Duty (Blundell's game, assuming it's actually what people are expecting).

All very different games, with different mechanics and gameplay loops, different visual styles, and different tones.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Banned
Sep 13, 2022

Concord - sounds like a pvp game that's hopefully more COD than Overwatch.

Marathon - an extraction shooter with pvevp elements.

Blundel game - we can only hope the true successor to COD Zombies.

Start to finish they will all be unique game play experiences with no overlap beyond surface level pvp

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Concord - sounds like a pvp game that's hopefully more COD than Overwatch.

Marathon - an extraction shooter with pvevp elements.

Blundel game - we can only hope the true successor to COD Zombies.

Start to finish they will all be unique game play experiences with no overlap beyond surface level pvp
FairGames is also more like Payday

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Killzone shall live again!

why...

8DHuA.gif

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
That second LinkedIn post. Man, if this kind of thing was happening at Deviation, imagine what's happening at the bigger publishers.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Have I got this right?

September 8, 2022 - Jason Blundell leaves

May 2023 - Deviation undergoes layoffs.

NinjaLooter

Oct 1, 2023
Sony needs to release whatever game they come.up with especially if its PVP on PC day 1. Any multiplayer game now should be on PC day 1.

Oct 27, 2017
my prediction

Concord will be this only FPS PVP Multiplayer only game from PlayStation Firewalk
Marathon will be Extraction FPS PvP Multiplayer only game from PlayStation Bungie

and this Jason Blundell Game will be this FPS PvP Multiplayer with Campaing (maybe with a zombie similar mode??) - not yet revealed studio

Sony is trying to cover all the bases and this is good, hiring top talent, jason blundell is a master in his craft, good news for Sony PlayStation

As a big fan of FPS I am interested to see more AAA entries in the genre, but I really hope some of these have campaigns too. I'd love to see some FPS with the polish and narrative focus that games like The Last of Us or God of War received.

So, Sony is working with studios, poaching top talents and bringing them to Sony, and then shutting them down?

I'm not sure who Sony is meant to be shutting down in your sentence?

Curious to see when this gets announced

Probably not for about 4 years!

Deviation sounded like a shitshow that never stood a chance. Hope this new studio fairs better.

Pretty safe to assume this is a Zombie-themed GaaS project.

Is it safe to assume that? Sounds like a pretty big leap from the basically zero information we have so far.

Didn't learn their lesson.

Who didn't?

So why keep it a secret?

And if true, game is probably four, five, six years away.

I don't imagine someone like Jason Blundell is going to struggle hiring people to join his FPS studio, and there's no other benefit to announcing something like this so early.

Am I the only one shocked at senior developers calling out their colleagues like that in public? I always thought they have their own circle.

A bit, but I am guessing they must really have been a shitshow. I'm guessing they're not going to be working in the industry again so he has no fear of burning any bridges!

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I hope this is Sony's thinking on Live Service MP games going foward; give time for a team like Arrowhead too cook something that really clicks for people than throwing a SP studio like Naughty Dog that may not do well anyway.

Naughty Dog wanted to go this route with TLOU Online, Sony only gave them the time and resources to see it through. Also important to remember that ND hasn't been a solely single player studio for a very long time. They've been doing MP modes for their games for many years.

Also worth remembering that TLOU Online wasn't shuttered due to the game being bad and looking like it'd be a failure. It was due to a game that scale requiring all the resources of ND to support, which would eliminate any other projects they'd want to be working on.

We're probably not too far away from Sony showing off more large scale live service games like Guerrillas Horizon Online game.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
They've long said that all multiplayer games are going to be Day 1 on PC.
Slight correction, they said all live service games.

There are single player live service games (Genshin Impact and other Hoyoverse stuff), and there are non-live service multiplayer games (It Takes Two, Resident Evil 5).

Basically, if it has a recurring revenue model then they'll put it on PC day one. If it's a one and done game that features multiplayer, then it's probably hitting PS5 first.

Oct 25, 2017
playstation players for years have been asking ,where are the FPS, well sony is bringing not one, but many of them
Sad thing is none of them are appealing as either a Sony shooter fan(Resistance, Killzone, Socom. MAG, Warhawk)
or a general shooter fan.

I'll give it a chance but Marathon for example just seems like a dumb waste of Bungie