• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I would be fine with Paradise as the title for MHW2. Didn't Capcom leak indicate it was 2023? Could see it be early 24 tho I want it asap.

I'm hoping for a TGA reveal, MAYBE during a Sony event later this year if they do one, but as is, I just want next gen only MH using those sweet SSDs, haptics, etc

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's useless to argue which is mainline or spin off as there are no real differences in game and Capcom will say what ever marketing decide to push, but Capcom themselves called X/Generations a spin off.
They called it a fes (festival) release because it was. Like Tekken Tag, EO Nexus, etc.

They also confirmed it's mainline though. Literally a "main game" alongside 1-4 and World.

vol.01 Ryozo Tsujimoto |Developer Interviews 2019 | CAPCOM

Capcom IR website: Developer Interviews 2019 -Monster Hunter World: Iceborne

Why folks have a hard time accepting Gen as mainline in the face of much of the expanded move sets for each weapon in World and Rise coming straight from Hunter Styles, as well as most of the Fated Four now being in the series as well as several QOL and content features that debuted there, I will never understand.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Why folks have a hard time accepting Gen as mainline in the face of much of the expanded move sets for each weapon in World and Rise coming straight from Hunter Styles, as well as most of the Fated Four now being in the series as well as several QOL and content features that debuted there, I will never understand.
It's also because Wikipedia editors arbitrarily reclassed it as a spinoff because it didn't have a number in the title. And hilariously only did this after World was announced, hmm...

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Skeptical of Paradise as a title for the next mainline game, I assume they'll just call it World 2 due to the name recognition of a double-digit million seller.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I should really hop into this one and give it a fair go. I can't see any real reason I wouldn't have a decent time with it.

Skeptical of Paradise as a title for the next mainline game, I assume they'll just call it World 2 due to the name recognition of a double-digit million seller.
That logic doesn't track as Rise is a double-digit multi-million seller itself, and whatever sequel it gets on Nintendo hardware surely won't be called Rise 2. Folks care far more about the Monster Hunter part than they do the subtitle that follows it.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rise is a sequel to World but it's still a 5th Gen game in case you need more reference on the Generations of this series here you go:
www.technewstoday.com

All Monster Hunter Games In Order Of Release Date

Capcom has published six main Monster Hunter Games plus five significant international spin-offs. Here's the list of all monster hunter games in order of release date.
This article is so bad. It's missing so many more games and they spell Iceborne as Iceborn.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019

Lol why do people keep saying this. World isn't the only double digit seller you know. It's almost as if the Monster Hunter branding sells and not "World"!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I need to repost this list every MH thread.

Every mainline MH for the record:

Gen 1
  • Monster Hunter (PS2)
  • Monster Hunter G (PS2, Wii)
  • Monster Hunter Freedom (PSP)
Gen 2
  • Monster Hunter 2 ~dos (PS2)
  • Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (PSP)
  • Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP, iOS)
Gen 3
  • Monster Hunter Tri (Wii)
  • Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP, PS3)
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS, Wii U)
Gen 4
  • Monster Hunter 4 (3DS)
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS)
  • Monster Hunter Generations (3DS)
  • Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (3DS, NSW)
Gen 5
  • Monster Hunter: World (PS4, XBO, PC)
  • Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne (PS4, XBO, PC)
  • Monster Hunter Rise (NSW, PC)
  • Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak (NSW, PC)
Gen 6
  • "Monster Hunter 6" (PC, PS5, XBS)

I actually think there's much room for discussion on the Frontier line too, which started as part of Gen 2 but sort of went on it's own evolutionary path while still incorporating elements of Gens 3-4.

Last edited:
Frontier is certainly one of the most interesting tangents of any series out there as it both suggested what would have happened to the series if it had mechanically stayed in a particular place from that point forward, while also expanding everything about Gen 2 to the absolute limits of what was possible before needing to move onto a new engine like they did for Tri to pull off the more persistent and emergent elements that would soon become a staple of the series. I'm glad that the floodgates are seemingly open now for the main teams to dig through Frontier for content, as while not everything was great, there was definitely some really cool stuff that deserves better than to die with the game and makes veteran announcements for the games going forward much more exciting as we really don't know what they'll choose to bring forward. Espinas in Sunbreak was already a fantastic surprise.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
They called it a fes (festival) release because it was. Like Tekken Tag, EO Nexus, etc.

They also confirmed it's mainline though. Literally a "main game" alongside 1-4 and World.

vol.01 Ryozo Tsujimoto |Developer Interviews 2019 | CAPCOM

Capcom IR website: Developer Interviews 2019 -Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
It's so meaningless, even Capcom can't be assed to decide which is which:

View: https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/1293012642714382337?s=20&t=7a5ht_pO85YzSYboTWOwNA

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

According to this all Ultimate expansions, Iceborne and Sunbreak are also spinoffs. That's obviously not what they mean and it's not coming from the dev team either.

We actually do have a good idea what's included in the main series and so does Capcom. Generations even has 4 dragons in the logo (denoting part of Gen 4) like other mainline titles, until Rise broke the tradition.

Honestly the only game that can really be debated on this is Frontier.

Let's not forget while it was short lived MH Online was a thing too even if not many people outside of it's intended domestic market didn't get to play it.
MHO is more clear cut as Capcom didn't work on it in any major capacity. They effectively loaned the IP out to Tencent, who did their own thing with it. I do think that as a result of that, we're not likely to see any of those monsters in the series as there's a non-zero chance that Tencent owns the original monsters like Caeserber and Tartaronis.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
MHO is more clear cut as Capcom didn't work on it in any major capacity. They effectively loaned the IP out to Tencent, who did their own thing with it. I do think that as a result of that, we're not likely to see any of those monsters in the series as there's a non-zero chance that Tencent owns the original monsters like Caeserber and Tartaronis.
Yeah the game was basically alive for about 1.5 years before contractual disagreements with Capcom started killing the game and the Chinese Goverment dealing a deathblow to the franchise in China which basically killed any interest Tecent had left in MHO and the IP itself overall.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Honestly I would be fine with Paradise as the title for MHW2. Didn't Capcom leak indicate it was 2023? Could see it be early 24 tho I want it asap.

I'm hoping for a TGA reveal, MAYBE during a Sony event later this year if they do one, but as is, I just want next gen only MH using those sweet SSDs, haptics, etc
You're not gonna see MH6/Paradise announced until after Rise Sunbreak is done with its updates.

I wonder if this is a generations style title, or actually mainline MH6
Generations was basically Portable 4th, a quota filled for Gen 5 by Rise.

Yeah the game was basically alive for about 1.5 years before contractual disagreements with Capcom started killing the game and the Chinese Goverment dealing a deathblow to the franchise in China which basically killed any interest Tecent had left in MHO and the IP itself overall.
It's pretty crazy how quickly Capcom shifted gears regarding how to support Monster Hunter over a long period of time with both Frontier and MHO being closed at the same time after how successful World was. I do suppose things where heading that way when MHF2 was cancelled rather quietly and Capcom shuttered the South Korea team that was working on it, but killing two birds with a boulder is pretty unprecedented.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

Went from PS4 to Series X and World loading times are super quick.

MH this gen gonna be quick

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty crazy how quickly Capcom shifted gears regarding how to support Monster Hunter over a long period of time with both Frontier and MHO being closed at the same time after how successful World was. I do suppose things where heading that way when MHF2 was cancelled rather quietly and Capcom shuttered the South Korea team that was working on it, but killing two birds with a boulder is pretty unprecedented.
I do think there's a place for a F2P Online Monster Hunter game but Capcom has to be willing to play ball and not take their toys home with them whenever they feel like it the product has to be supported for the long term.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

The leaks indicate that this is the case.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking at the old Capcom leak again and it shows 'MH6' only two quarters after 'MH NS G' (Nintendo Switch G?).
The years covered by the spreadsheet aren't clear to me, but if the NS G was Sunbreak, then the plan would have been to follow it up with a new next gen game pretty swiftly.

Edit: looking like NS G is something else due in the same quarter as RE4

Last edited:

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking at the old Capcom leak again and it shows 'MH6' only two quarters after 'MH NS G' (Nintendo Switch G?).
The years covered by the spreadsheet aren't clear to me, but if the NS G was Sunbreak, then the plan would have been to follow it up with a new next gen game pretty swiftly.
NS G probably stands for Sunbreak since all the old expansion titles had G appended to its name in Japan.

May 24, 2021

It's been 4.5 years since World came out, so it's definitely getting around that time.

IIRC, the quarter in question puts it at late summer/early fall of 2023. Whether it sticks to that remains to be seen, as it is a bit uncharacteristic for them to have a big release in the second half of the year as they've been sticking to H1 releases rather consistently for several years now. Iceborne is really the only major title that's been like that, though its an outlier as an expansion in the first place.

I've only been figuring that it's a 2024 release only because of Covid, but it's certainly not impossible that they think they can get a window all to themselves if they managed to hit their milestones in spite of the circumstances.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
There's a concern that a new MH could cannibalize sales for the upcoming Dragon's Dogma 2 as well. I don't see both releasing too close to each other (as in, maybe 4-5 months from each other at the earliest), the real question is which one would release first? Most signs would be pointing to DD2 being first on the timeline, so if the new MH game is early 2024, that would place DD2 somewhere in Fall 2023.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
You could be right, do we know when they end? World reveal was a month before GU came out in west right? And wasn't Rise reveal about 18 months after Iceborne? Either way 2023 reveal for early ish 2024 is my dream
The main 3 title updates end this winter 2022, and there's more in 2023 but those are probably just events which aren't really massive enough to be relevant for a next game announcement. MHXX released in March 2017, was announced for switch a few weeks before World was revealed & released before World, then released in the west as MHGU in august 2018. Basically half a year give and take after World for the western version.

Oct 26, 2017
IIRC, the quarter in question puts it at late summer/early fall of 2023. Whether it sticks to that remains to be seen, as it is a bit uncharacteristic for them to have a big release in the second half of the year as they've been sticking to H1 releases rather consistently for several years now. Iceborne is really the only major title that's been like that, though its an outlier as an expansion in the first place.

I've only been figuring that it's a 2024 release only because of Covid, but it's certainly not impossible that they think they can get a window all to themselves if they managed to hit their milestones in spite of the circumstances.
Yeah you're right, the 'NS G' threw me off but maybe that is some complete edition of Rise+Sunbreak. Or perhaps Paradise is some sort of port of that for the other consoles 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.