• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So this post kinda went under the radar in the 8 million sales milestone thread:
Anecdote from the NieR London concert but Yoko Taro took the stage at the end, told the audience that the Square Enix president was in the crowd and that if we wanted an Automata sequel to give the loudest applause of the night.

The room immediately erupted into claps, cheers and yells.

How much of what Taro said is true is up for debate but the case was made abundantly clear in person to Taro himself, at the very least.

Mild concert content spoilers:

Also at one point during the story of the show; the word REPENT was shown repeatedly as part of some dialogue. The final instance was spelled as R3PENT. Both me and the person I'd gone with picked up on it and wondered if this was a tease

Thanks to SanTheSly sharing this tidbit, it seems like we can say that Nier 3 development might finally be under way to some extent.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apart from that, I think Yoko Taro didn't hide in the Barcelona concert that we'll see more from him very soon.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a story that happens after ending E of Automata that links up a little with the state of the world after what happens there, links a little with original Nier and solidifies certain aspects of 2B and 9S. Both Keiichi Okabe and Yoko Taro in person said it was canon.

EDIT: at any case, like Imran says, it's just a cool in-lore excuse to move from song to song.

You can read a summary here

nier.fandom.com

NieR:Orchestra Concert 12024 (the end of data)

NieR:Orchestra Concert 12024 [ the end of data ] is an international concert held in various locations from January 2024 to the end of March. It contains new pre-recorded readings from the English voice actors of 2B and 9S[1] set after the events of NieR:Automata. After 2B was revived by Pods on...

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I was at the concert in Berlin.

Taro didn't do the same joke there though he did says "Guten Tag".

I do remember the R3PENT though, as it was the same "End of Data" Story that's part of this tour.
They (9S and 2B) were malfunctioning in the story though, so I chalked the grabled words up to that, it's probably not much more than that.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
The story with "r3pent" was in all the concerts, not just the London one.

Worth noting for context that the story involved a lot of robots continually glitching out in one way or another, and the text on screen sometimes reflected that.

It's a stretch, but in line with the modus operandi of the madman.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Aw but I wanted a Drakengard 3 remaster :(

Glad he's sort of confirming it though. Though iirc he recently said it would be something further off?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder if the R3PENT thing translates in the Japanese concerts (not sure if there was any?). If so, there's something there.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Aw but I wanted a Drakengard 3 remaster :(
It would be an incredible troll if it was a tease for a Drakengard 3 remaster.

Huh. I didn't think much of it when I saw it spelled that way. More Nier is always a good thing.
I was disappointed too when Mr. Saito (I think it was) came out with his mask and he wasn't there lol.
I forgot the order of the tour, but he has a tweet from Dallas where he got a cut on his thumb and needed antibiotics. If Chicago was the next stop, he might have been recovering from that.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I thought they made it clear that the game they are working on isn't Nier
www.resetera.com

Yosuke Saito and Yoko Taro are working on a new project that is not NieR, but they still plan to make a new entry at some point. News - Square Enix

https://x.com/Genki_JPN/status/1726209453664686394?s=20 Source: https://www.4gamer.net/games/353/G035315/20231119003/ Translation with DeepL

Yeah they did say that, so who knows. Someone just needs to wrangle Yoko Taro and get him to stop working on EOS gacha games.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
To clarify as well, I personally don't think anything is imminently about to be announced.

There were glitchy visual effects accompanying some of the songs and some of the story segments, but I only notably remember that final REPENT being spelled R3PENT as the only major instance of a number being used to replace a letter in a word, and it only happened a single time in that sentence too.

I assumed this would have been at every concert because it was part of the pre-made visuals and dialogue for the concert series. But it's good to have confirmation that Taro didn't make that same comment (joke?) about the Head of Square Enix being in the audience at every show.

It was a nice little accompanying story though, and I'm particularly thankful I made myself play Replicant before the concert.

Still a little baffled there was no Birth of a Wish, they had the male vocal choir right there and everything!

Other than that, the song selection was great.

TheBigJuice

Banned
Jun 29, 2023
I mean Yoko Taro had to be doing something these past few years. It wouldn't surprise me if this is more further along than expected.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
It's a story that happens after ending E of Automata that links up a little with the state of the world after what happens there, links a little with original Nier and solidifies certain aspects of 2B and 9S. Both Keiichi Okabe and Yoko Taro in person said it was canon.

EDIT: at any case, like Imran says, it's just a cool in-lore excuse to move from song to song.

nier.fandom.com

NieR:Orchestra Concert 12024 [ the end of data ] is an international concert held in various locations from January 2024 to the end of March. It contains new pre-recorded readings from the English voice actors of 2B and 9S[1] set after the events of NieR:Automata. After 2B was revived by Pods on...
Hopefully the anime can have this as an ending.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
It's about what 2B and 9S do after the ending of Automata, where 2B is still missing some parts the pod was not able to find.

It's largely just an excuse to introduce the next song in a game context way.
Neat, thanks for the information. The concert skipped Toronto for whatever reason but I'm glad it was a great event from what I've read.

nier.fandom.com

That is neat - I really love how Yoko Taro's brain works with his projects.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I mean Yoko Taro had to be doing something these past few years. It wouldn't surprise me if this is more further along than expected.

Yeah they cooking. SE clearly stated that they view Nier as an important IP to them after Automatas sucess and bigger budget means often longer dev time ... sooo ... maybe this is the year where we see the cooking.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
God I hope so. I love Nier but it's been so long since Automata and I'm beyond ready to move on from 2B (sorry, but her being everywhere has gotten annoying 😔)

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I hope there is no 2B because I am curious to see how it does without her.

But 2B is basically the IP's money printer.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Luminous Productions (FFXV, Forspoken) got merged into CBU2 following the release of Forspoken.

If Ni3r isn't a Platinum collab again (and I'm not sure we've heard anything about Platinum), maybe it's the Forspoken team? I know they're less well-regarded than Platinum around here, but Nier with inFamous-ish traversal would actually be kind of awesome in my opinion. I'd just wanna make sure the combat animations stayed both responsive and gorgeous, which was absolutely true of Nier: Automata even if the enemy design and hitstun etc made the melee combat more flash than substance. It was still some pretty lovely flash, IMO.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
I obviously want Nier 3, but I'd be happy with anything new coming from Yoko Taro as long as it's not another Voice of Cards. Very creative person.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the Gacha game pretty much Nier 3? Maybe Taro just doesn't care about making big games anymore and is happy to make smartphone games for the rest of his days. I don't feel entitled to demand he make another AAA title. Must be an exhaustive and shitty process, especially as you get older and want to spend time with your family and are not cool working 60+ hour weeks for months

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

S-igh

Feb 6, 2024
I can't imagine developing Nier 3 without Taura from PG. He was practically the director of the game.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I've said this before in other threads, but in hindsight I do wonder if Replicant remake was a mistake.

Replicant only being able to grab the interest of 20-25% of Automata's player base even tho it was the next direct console/PC release in the series seems like quite the drop. I know with the budget they had and the content they were offering that was probably still very profitable for them, but you have to consider the bigger effect it might've had on the brand's picture as a whole. Replicant gives the feeling of Nier as a brand being a very budgeted series (much more so than Automata) which probably isn't how you want people to perceive your franchise after it finally blows up.

The fact that Nier Reincarnation also wasn't able to garner enough interest to be able to remain in service and is being shut down kinda makes you wonder if Nier Automata's success might just be the exception and the brand as a whole might not have that big of a draw outside of Automata.

It'll be interesting to see how many people will show up for a Ni3R when it finally happens, especially if it's not a direct Automata sequel with 2B, A2 and 9S front and center. I wonder if Nier can leave the giant shadow of Automata or if it'll remain a one hit wonder.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

I do remember the R3PENT though, as it was the same "End of Data" Story that's part of this tour.
They (9S and 2B) were malfunctioning in the story though, so I chalked the grabled words up to that, it's probably not much more than that.
Me too! Haha , was hilarious watching him try to walk around

SlyShinobi

Dec 3, 2018
I hope there is no 2B because I am curious to see how it does without her.

But 2B is basically the IP's money printer.
Yoko Taro has a history of
killing off the main protagonists of the last game in the sequel to no fanfare, so I don't think you have much to worry about.

Last edited:

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
I think Taro has something new coming out in the next few years but it isn't NieR - I think the time has been like Druckmann after TLOU Part 2, he hasn't been able to find a theme/story/concept that excited him as much as Automata/Replicant etc... to make Ni3R. Maybe he did recently, but Saito made pretty clear they were hoping to announce his new non NieR game this year so we'll see... but i really don't think beyond some kind of psychedelic easter egg references it will have anything to do with NieR.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I was there too!

However I thought Nier 3 was confirmed when the Producer that came out before Yoko Taro said he was the Producer of Nier 3???