vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
I don't think a game starring Zelda as the main playable character automatically means it would be as mechanically simplistic and low difficulty as Princess Peach Show Time. Princess Peach Show Time is aimed at children and is even more simple and forgiving than your standard Kirby game.

I think a Zelda game appeals to the same audience that can master the complexity of a traditional Zelda game. I don't think a game starring playable Zelda would be on the scale of TOTK, but it wouldn't have to be squarely aimed at children either. A Zelda game could be any manner of 3d action adventure game.
Only issue is just who would make that game.

This feels like the kind of project they'd hand off to somebody like Good-Feel, that's the main reason I'd keep hopes in check. And since a lot of this comes down to the scope of the project and who they hand it to; that's why I'd be cautious.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I would like a regular Zelda game with Zelda as the main character.

If this is some kind of spinoff, I can't imagine what it would be to be honest. Hopefully some kind of adventure game at least.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Kill Link for that story and make it darker in tone like Majora's or TP. Have the guts to do it Nintendo!

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Only issue is just who would make that game.

This feels like the kind of project they'd hand off to somebody like Good-Feel, that's the main reason I'd keep hopes in check. And since a lot of this comes down to the scope of the project and who they hand it to; that's why I'd be cautious.
I think Bandai Namco would be a good partner for a Zelda spin off. Or even Platinum games.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
There's been rumors about an additional Zelda thing coming out for the last year or so.

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
I couldn't care less about any of the Zelda spin-offs. Since this can't be a 3D mainline title, I hope it is a 2D mainline title which is long overdue. I doubt it though.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Zelda's Adventure is too so the CD-i is 2-0 vs. all of Nintendo's platforms

I still don't understand how they could let this happen. Or the mario cdi games. Or the movie.

Anyway, seriously, I'm betting on playable Zelda in the next mainline game, Or in Both/totk enhanced editions launching alongside Switch 2 :P.
2 playable characters offering different playstyles is my guess.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's been rumors about an additional Zelda thing coming out for the last year or so.
giphy.gif

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico

I ultimately assumed those were hinting at the movie announcement.

I still don't understand how they could let this happen. Or the mario cdi games. Or the movie.

The CD-i games were mostly contractual obligations from the failed venture they had with Philips to produce a CD-ROM add-on for the SNES. I have always assumed they figured the CD-i was not going to sell that much and thus not damage the brand (indeed, I doubt most people knew of their existence before they became a thing in YouTube Poop videos).

As to the 90's movie, honestly they were just as hands off with that as many other Japanese companies were with their license properties... And the results were very likely to blame for what it took them so long to start producing more movies about their characters and partly why they're so neurotic about other people using their properties.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
I guess spinoff can mean anything really.

You have spinoffs that become their own subseries ala Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion.
vs
Spinoffs that are just smaller projects ala Showtime.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
still bizarre to me how Nintendo experimenting with smaller or more unorthodox spin-offs is somehow a "monkey's paw" to a bunch of people of this thread.

Like, a peach showtime-like should be a good thing? Haven't we all been saying more AA or whatever? Wanting smaller titles in between big Zelda games that take 6 years to pump out?

Well for one I don't much care for a comparison to Showtime in particular (though I get why it's the easy point of reference given it is recent), as that game was overly simplistic. And while yea it's obviously cool to appeal to younger gamers, I can certainly picture it rubbing people the wrong way to do that for a game where Zelda is finally the star.

Secondly, there are a lot of fans that genuinely would be miffed at the idea of Zelda not getting a proper mainline title, so you're likely to have people disappointed either way if the theoretical title in question feels like it is "shortchanging" her. Zelda should be treated with just as much respect as Link is how a lot of people look at it. Side characters like Luigi or Peach is one thing, but Zelda's name is literally a part of the name of the franchise. She in terms of the lore/prophecies/Triforce or whatever is just as relevant as Link. So while yea, a side game type of deal wouldn't be the end of the world, some would definitely take it as a slight.

Sure, but a year ago would any of use have said this about a Peach game? Because people make the exact same arguments about Mario and Kirby and then say the post game stuff is geared more toward "core" players.

I mean for anyone that's actually bothered to play Princess Peach Showtime, it is absolutely designed as being much easier/simpler than your standard Mario or Kirby game. Like that's really not up for debate. Even just comparing their last 2 titles in Super Mario Wonder and Kirby and the Forgotten Land respectively the difference is clear.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Zelda has a sword, a bow, a staff. She's been a ninja, a ghost, a suit of armor, a train.

It's time for a playable Zelda.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
A dlc for TotK would be great, and if it works it could be translated into something bigger. Puzzle based, kingdom management, lots of possibilities.

Also I'm watching Frieren, and it's great. You already have the pointy eared girl Nintendo, just send her to destroy some Ganon lieutenants.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
I'd be in for a Zelda otome game personally.
Date several hunks around Hyrule with maybe that Sheikah girl with the peach on her butt being the obligatory girl option?
Otherwise though, I am just done with PapaGenos. HIs videos were fun when I was like 16 but his track record is super spotty and I just do honestly not believe they'd make a satisfying game where you play as zelda in a meaningful capacity. Still though, if Zelda is going to be a bigger part of the Zelda movie, maybe they'd have a game starring her out for synergy?

Erdnuckel01

Oct 29, 2017
Ooohh Ican already see it Cooking Zelda, Zelda Showtime, Princess Zelda: Hyrule Festival and of course - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Fandom

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
still bizarre to me how Nintendo experimenting with smaller or more unorthodox spin-offs is somehow a "monkey's paw" to a bunch of people of this thread.

Like, a peach showtime-like should be a good thing? Haven't we all been saying more AA or whatever? Wanting smaller titles in between big Zelda games that take 6 years to pump out?
Princess Peach Showtime is a "monkey's paw" situation because that game is very obviously aimed a young children, which is fine, but also not the demographic of this forum.

Smaller scale spin-off games are fine, and honestly what I want here, I don't want another game at the scale of BOTW or TOTK for at least a couple more years, but I do want a hypothetical Zelda led game to be interesting and have engaging gameplay.

Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker is the better benchmark for a spin-off game done well.

Oct 27, 2017
I want this to be true. I always hoped for something like a spin-off series "Tales of Hyrule" which would feature stories focused on other characters. But even if this is true, I fear the end result will not be what we expected. More something like Zelda Home Designer, Zeldas Restaurant or something ridiciouls of that kind.
giphy.gif
Haha I thought the same. It's totally going to be something like that and it's going to piss off everyone

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I think it would be fascinating if a Zelda game starring Zelda revives the classic 3d, non-open world Zelda formula.

Vaenyr

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 16, 2019
Nice! Thank you! I'll bump this one up in the queue then. 👍 (and maybe it'll benefit from running on Switch 2 next year)
Also the OST is phenomenal. The game takes many of the brilliant BOTW leitmotifs that sometimes only play once per play through and gives them rather traditional "epic fantasy orchestra" arrangements as often heard in other Zelda games. It also has its own share of original and unique leitmotifs that are amazing.

Furthermore, it fleshes out the characters quite a bit more then BOTW or TOTK did. Its gameplay is obviously very different and entirely linear, but I think this makes it the perfect companion piece to the open air games. You get to spend more time in this iteration of Hyrule, form a connection to the characters, without having to re-explore the world once again.

Hope you'll like it!

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they put a decent amount of effort into it. I don't want this to be a A-AA throwaway title if it was made

Jul 1, 2020
Nintendo and Philips signed a contract to jointly work on what became CD-i and the ability for Philips to make Zelda and Mario games was apparently a part of it. Nintendo of today would never sign that contract but things were different back then while the industry was still growing.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I don't believe it's true but you already essentially have something planned out with TOTK, so turning that into a dlc of sorts should be easy as hell. Then again Nintendo aren't really in the business of doing what the fans want. Atleast in regards to this series/topic of interest.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not the biggest "Zelda needs her own game!" advocate, but if it means a new Zelda game sooner into the Switch 2's life and in a different format than BOTW/TOTK, I'll take it

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure you could slot an entire game into the backstory of TotK between the sealing of Ganondorf and Zelda dragonifying herself. Like have Zelda explore a devastated Hyrule post-Imprisoning War as she ventures to all the Sages to secure their pledge.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be curious what the setup and playstyle would be.

As easy as it would have been to fit in a zelda adventure to TotK (and doing something like that probably would have gone a long way to differentiating it), that ship has sailed outside of maybe DLC. Nintendo already said they aren't doing dlc for TotK too.

So as a separate game it would need an independent, self-contained story, and a different enough playstyle that it doesn't come across as BotW 3 even if it uses the same engjne.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is the Tales of Hyrule game I've been saying Nintendo and Namco should collaborate on for years

Mr Pricklefingers

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 4, 2017
Nintendo will never give you people the game you want because you can't even decide what you want that game to be. This thread is proof of that. She's been playable in SO many games at this point, but it's never the right kind of playable apparently. There I've said it.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Nintendo will never give you people the game you want because you can't even decide what you want that game to be. This thread is proof of that. She's been playable in SO many games at this point, but it's never the right kind of playable apparently. There I've said it.
Oh bullshit.

The distinction is obvious. We're not doing "she was playable in Age of Calamity, you people are never happy with anything."

I can MAYBE give you Spirit Tracks (which is being generous), but you know damn well what people are asking for.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Copping this idea from another forum, but I think my dream scenario is this is a MonolithSoft game. They've assisted in developing Zelda since Skyward Sword I believe, so I could see Nintendo trusting them with a Zelda side project given how they've proven themselves over the years.

Maybe this was Zelda all along 👀

2093031_0_lg.jpg

That would be so badass. Imagine how good MonolothSoft's Hyrule would look on Switch 2