Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Copping this idea from another forum, but I think my dream scenario is this is a MonolithSoft game. They've assisted in developing Zelda since Skyward Sword I believe, so I could see Nintendo trusting them with a Zelda side project given how they've proven themselves over the years.

Maybe this was Zelda all along 👀

2093031_0_lg.jpg

That would be so badass. Imagine how good MonolothSoft's Hyrule would look on Switch 2
That artwork is purely for recruitment purposes.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't not think of my time with Other M during this thread. I actually find most Metroid titles a bit if a drag honestly and don't want to talk about them here too much.

I think the vast majority of it was under-rated, the gameplay, the direction and the narrative that everyone remembers was to put it kindly, highly experimental, for all involved.

I think a game that people in this thread should perhaps think about is something similar.

Could we begrudge a mis-step here or would we think something like this would taint the IP forever?

I'm a 3D Zelda person before I'm a 2D one - as I am with Metroid - and I roll my eyes at the needless warring between the two ideas.

Yet for something like Mario, I think people come to expect and enjoy the experimental nature of the franchise. Both "factions" as it were know there are some key fundamentals both genres just nail.

Nintendo developed games and their lore or character journey is never part of that. The player is the character and the avatar lets them direct their wholly personal story.

Any game that you would want to 'get the treatment' we believe it deserves should be something outside the box and un-expected - but it then wouldn't perhaps gets its due if we get hung up on shall we say, the voice acting.

I think the Samus VA from Other M was treated unfairly but again I'm not here to talk about Metroid I'm just trying to illustrate how I feel.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo will never give you people the game you want because you can't even decide what you want that game to be. This thread is proof of that. She's been playable in SO many games at this point, but it's never the right kind of playable apparently. There I've said it.
There's a big difference between playable and the main playable character. There hasn't been a game where Zelda is the main playable player equivalent to Link in all the Zelda games. Even in the two Hyrule Warriors, Zelda is one of many playable characters and the game stories follows Link. In Spirit Tracks Zelda is very much the companion character. Fans want a game starring playable Zelda.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
There's a big difference between playable and the main playable character. There hasn't been a game where Zelda is the main playable player equivalent to Link in all the Zelda games. Even in the two Hyrule Warriors, Zelda is one of many playable characters and the game stories follows Link. In Spirit Tracks Zelda is very much the companion character. Fans want a game starring playable Zelda.
Even then I'd pose the question - what do we want from a mainline Zelda with playable Zelda? Do we just want a normal Zelda game where she's playable and functions like Link - the sword and shield-wielding, tool-savvy knight which kinda robs her of her unique traits? Or do we want her to feel unique, which I'd argue puts it in "spinoff" territory anyway (which I think is fine, but people seem to be offended by the idea)?

People say "oh they made Peach playable!!" ignoring that the Mario platformers are way way more fitted to just shove whoever in as a playable character than a single-player mainline Zelda adventure game.

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
Hey, if it's a way to bring back the old formula for an entry that isn't open world (but could still be opened-areas), I would be so down with it!

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
A 2.5D game in the Link's Awakening remake engine but with WW style starring a Zelda like Tetra/Spirit Tracks Zelda would be so sick.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Even then I'd pose the question - what do we want from a mainline Zelda with playable Zelda? Do we just want a normal Zelda game where she's playable and functions like Link - the sword and shield-wielding, tool-savvy knight which kinda robs her of her unique traits? Or do we want her to feel unique, which I'd argue puts it in "spinoff" territory anyway (which I think is fine, but people seem to be offended by the idea)?

People say "oh they made Peach playable!!" ignoring that the Mario platformers are way way more fitted to just shove whoever in as a playable character than a single-player mainline Zelda adventure game.
I'm not trying to speak for anyone else. I'd be fine with whatever Nintendo comes up with. Zelda could work for a 3rd person action adventure game, an open world game, a top down Zelda, or something entirely different like a town sim or turn based RPG. I could see Zelda starring in a Dragon Quest Builders style game too.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
While I wouldn't ordinarily think this would happen. It would make a degree of sense to try to get something Zelda related out on Switch 2 nice and early. Could be that instead of working on DLC for TotK they were working on a Future Connected/Torna/Bowser's Fury type of mini sequel.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
Nintendo will never give you people the game you want because you can't even decide what you want that game to be. This thread is proof of that. She's been playable in SO many games at this point, but it's never the right kind of playable apparently. There I've said it.
To be fair Nintendo has the broadest range of players from little kids to older 40s+ nostalgia gamers compared to pretty much everyone else in this business that has a tighter core demographic.

That's why there's no pleasing everyone. At least PS/Xbox are typically older audiences with a tighter age variance in all likelihood.

It's why Nintendo still amazes me to this day with how they manage to keep so many different gamers happy with their games, it's a tough feat to achieve and they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
Ooooh it could also be cool if she had all the sheikah slate powers from BotW plus her other magic powers. And maybe a Sheik transformation to give her the ability to use traditional weapons. And maybe Shiek could also fight unarmed to really differentiate from Link

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022

Going from Zagreus to Melinoe basically.
Or what Cadence of Hyrule did.
Or what every Devil May Cry game does.
Or what Hyrule Warriors did.

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

Forspoken, but with Zelda, and even more ways to manipulate her surroundings (Ultrahand, etc).

A Zelda game where you play as Zelda would also probably have distinct-feeling combat that focuses on crowd control with ranged magic and area-of-effect spells.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

I'd definitely want it to be different, give her unique traits. If the game is the real deal then it won't feel like a spinoff.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
The worst is if they do a Mario 3D Worlds with it.
Like buy the Switch 2 enhanced port of BotW and get the new playable Zelda side-mode included.

Because I doubt they would re-release BotW and then another Zelda game in the same year.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why I didn't think of this before: Paper Zelda starring Paper Princess Zelda as the lead playable character.

Bengraven