• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Pokemon Switch Come Out This Year?

• Yes

Votes: 554 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 181 17.0%
  • Lol

Votes: 332 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume level design takes near the most resources for any sprawling JRPG.

At the same time I think Pokemon's ratio of cost for creating monsters is relatively higher than any other jrpg. None other have 700+ monsters with that many unique animations that I can think of.
Unless they're creating new animations for all 801 pokemon, I don't think they're spending too much time on them outside the new pokes. I'd be more worried about their texture work

Sure. I'm just trying to say we shouldn't assume this has to be for the RPG. It could be numerous other Pokemon games.
Don't think you can stop my hype, Jonneh

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I said Xenoblade would make 2017.
I said Pokemon would make 2018.

You know what I have to say now? Uhh... nothing.
You know what I have to say? I've said those things too.

I'd gladly wait longer, though, if it meant that Game Freak would make the game they want to make in one go instead of a game that will get an improved version just a year or two later. That's of course not going to happen.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
No, because regardless of what posts on forums may make you think, the games are still well received for the most part and sell a ton.
Except wasn't the last game not well received in Japan? It did sell well, though.

Not excited by a 2018 release, I'll take a wait and see approach if it is actually releasing this year. Definitely not purchasing these games day 1 blind anymore

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Not anymore. Global announcements are the name of the game. They come right before Coro Coro
They are still timed with CoroCoro but yeah it's true that they reveal some stuff independent of it. Regardless the drip feed is their life blood. If the game is coming this year then they will undoubtedly reveal it prior to E3.

Kucan

Nov 4, 2017
It would make sense, Game Freak would of likely got access to Switch Kits way early on and dev work probably started longer than we suspect. Also having Zelda for launch, Mario for 2017 Holidays, Pokemon for 2018 Holidays and Smash for 2019(or 2020) Holidays with everything filling in around them sounds like a Nintendo like schedule.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Ahhh okay. I just assumed he's talking about the ORG. He seemed pretty deliberate but I may be reading that wrong.
Is Pixelpar not just using the job listing as his source? I'm not sure much can be assumed about the project based on this. Only convincing evidence is the specification of strategy guides.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what I have to say? I've said those things too.

I'd gladly wait longer, though, if it meant that Game Freak would make the game they want to make in one go instead of a game that will get an improved version just a year or two later. That's of course not going to happen.

I mean, that is also probably the game they want to make, because it is the game they always make in one form or another lol

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are still timed with CoroCoro but yeah it's true that they reveal some stuff independent of it. Regardless the drip feed is their life blood. If the game is coming this year then they will undoubtedly reveal it prior to E3.
Ever since XY, I don't think Corocoro ever had exclusive news that didn't get disseminated in other languages by TPCi

Kucan

Nov 4, 2017
Pokemon early December
Smash 4 Deluxe September/October (I'm hoping for 5, but it's becoming more and more likely Nintendo wants it out in time to sell paid online)

Yeah, that can move 20 million units.

I'd imagine Pokemon could also push the online service instead. It's certainly popular enough.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this can be right, can it?
I remember them switching engine after HGSS, but since it's been such a long time I wouldn't really know where to look for a source. And this is what they said about Sun and Moon:

Ohmori said:
When we were making Pokemon X and Y, we really were trying to push the 3DS system to its absolute limits - which is what we thought we'd done. But when Sun and Moon came around, we completely redesigned the system, and actually ended up pushing the 3DS even further to what we thought was the most we could draw out of it.

Herola

Nov 3, 2017
This isn't unrealistic, but the tight turnaround from Sun/Moon & Ultra S/M makes me think this will be a smaller progression from those games than I would have liked for the first Switch entry.

Still means a good/great game is coming our way sooner rather than later, though, so I'm not going to look a gift-horse in the mouth.

Remember that the team that made Ultra S/M is not the main team. They had a younger team make those games.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/pokemon-for-switch-is-helped-by-ultra-sun-and-moon/1100-6454169/

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I dont even care for pokemon. I just want to see the damn game and how it looks. An upres port of the 3ds one with some current gen lighting would all i need to see.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Pokemon coming out in 2018

giphy.gif

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I'm not sure what people are expecting? Gen 8 will look like the 3DS games in HD, maybe some QOL improvements here and there, but that's it.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I have no doubts Pokemon will be the star of E3 if it comes out this year, but remember that Odyssey and BotW were both shown off before their E3. I don't doubt Pokemon will be as well.
BOTW debuted at E3 2014
It was necessary to show off the Switch line up before E3 last year because the console was launching well before E3 and they needed to sell consumers on it

Pokemon won't be shown until E3

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yet another piece of the puzzle.

I would question Gen 8. Other aspects of Pokemon aren't there yet.

Like what? The anime is the biggest tell, and that certainly could be there by year's end given how much of the game content has already been used up- they've been planning for a notably short generation since before Sun and Moon launched.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I know everyone wants a Switch Pokemon as soon as possible, but if they are release one so fast, it's just going to be a better looking version of the same formula.

People hoping for a grand Pokemon adventure with amazing graphics like BotW or Ni no Kuni will be disappointed.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the datamined walking/running animations for all pokémon found in Sun/Moon will be put to good use this time.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
That's never gonna happen for a game that's supposed to release in 2018/2019. That would be some next level rush/crunch. People nearly die for less than this.

I certainly didn't expect a BotW but with Pokemon. But GF sould have seen how people love the freedom BotW gives to the players.

Maybe the ability to tackle gyms in order that you like? better map design?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
BOTW debuted at E3 2014
It was necessary to show off the Switch line up before E3 last year because the console was launching well before E3 and they needed to sell consumers on it

Pokemon won't be shown until E3
Except Pokémon has never had its first gameplay footage shown at E3. It's not impossible, but history would point to it being revealed earlier than that if it's coming this year. They like hyping up the new games almost every month before release

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
Yet another piece of the puzzle.

Like what? The anime is the biggest tell, and that certainly could be there by year's end given how much of the game content has already been used up- they've been planning for a notably short generation since before Sun and Moon launched.
welcome back partner

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, localization is one of the last steps, but we haven't seen footage.

I was on Team 2017 for Xenoblade 2 because localization was being worked on around this time, but we had also seen footage of the game in January. I can't believe Pokémon comes out this year if we don't see anything until E3.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
What I meant by disappointment was, the actual game was just the same as the others with nothing different or somehow was notably worse than previous entries but still sold a fuck ton. Then what do we think? Would GF still stay to do the next one, yes? Probably just get assisted by another studio I assume?

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
The anime treated SM like it's a side season like Orange Islands, you can tell from the start this was an "off-year" for the anime after XY concluded.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Pokemon is not a Nintendo-controlled franchise. TPC decides when to reveal it, and it's always before E3 on a dedicated Pokémon Direct.

I mean Nintendo has a definite say when they think is best to announce the game and it was probably on Nintendo's council they revealed the game on E3 last year.

But of course TPC loves being "special," so I'm sure they probably will have their own mini-announcement for the gameplay/full reveal.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
What I meant by disappointment was, the actual game was just the same as the others with nothing different or somehow was notably worse than previous entries but still sold a fuck ton. Then what do we think? Would GF still stay to do the next one, yes? Probably just get assisted by another studio I assume?
GF is not going anywhere because Pokémon is their IP, along with Nintendo and Creatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.