• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 5, 2018
Wow...this trailer sounds bonkers. No Jim Carrey Robotnik is ever weirder on top of Gangsta's Paradise's presence.

Last edited:

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
If it were up to me it would be Thicc Classic Sonic done in a style similar to Space Jam/Back in Action.

I'm always onboard for weird Sonic shit though.

Megaten

Oct 30, 2017
Is it that unbelievable that Sonic fans would want a movie that is actually based on the Sonic games and not some "self-aware" buddy cop film reboot that just happens to feature the character? There's a reason why video game adaptations almost always flop and Paramount is about to find that out first-hand.

I dunno, I literally dunno how to respond. I guess I get that? That concept doesn't escape my mind as an option, sure? People want something "based on the games". Faithful things being faithful, as a concept...yea sure I can follow you to some end. But also maybe I don't get it? That people take a franchise about anthropomorphic demonspawn doing zany loops and freaking girlfriend hedgehogs and bats with deep cleave wielding hammers and shit way the fuck too serious? I guess I grew up with a Genesis playing Sonic and Columns and I fucking owned Sonic Jam on the Saturn and played my childhood all over again in my slightly older childhood before I got a copy of a good game like Panzer Dragoon Zwei and my first Dreamcast game was Sonic Adventure because I made BAD choices and I think my literal last game I got my parents to buy me before I was 16 and had a job and could make these bad (BAAAAD) decisions without their money was Sonic Adventure 2. I dunno I can probably slit my wrists and it'd bleed idiot ass Sonic blue if I weren't already preoccupied with it bleeding Arkansas Razorback red because I continually make bad choices in life with the things I choose to irrationally like/put money towards? Can I get "Sonic cred" as far as being a Sonic fan if I say I loved All Star Racing, All Star Racing Transformed, and Tennis?

I'm legitimately not trying to be cute with you or whatever, but I legitimately don't know what in the calendar year of our lord 2019 it actually means to have a "movie that is actually based on the Sonic games" and what that would entail. EnTAILS. Fuck. I'm Tails. I can't do anything for shit. Sooooooniiiiiiiiiiiiicccc. Let me punch these boxes with my fist, Sonic. I'm Knuckles. My characterization is that I sometimes brood, but I'm still good (I'm basically Tommy, the Green/White Power Ranger like that, or I dunno anything else from the 90s because fuck my childhood we were simple as all getout), but also I punch shit. Hard. And sometimes you collect 10 rings for it.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I literally dunno how to respond. I guess I get that? That concept doesn't escape my mind as an option, sure? People want something "based on the games". Faithful things being faithful, as a concept...yea sure I can follow you to some end. But also maybe I don't get it? That people take a franchise about anthropomorphic demonspawn doing zany loops and freaking girlfriend hedgehogs and bats with deep cleave wielding hammers and shit way the fuck too serious? I guess I grew up with a Genesis playing Sonic and Columns and I fucking owned Sonic Jam on the Saturn and played my childhood all over again in my slightly older childhood before I got a copy of a good game like Panzer Dragoon Zwei and my first Dreamcast game was Sonic Adventure because I made BAD choices and I think my literal last game I got my parents to buy me before I was 16 and had a job and could make these bad (BAAAAD) decisions without their money was Sonic Adventure 2. I dunno I can probably slit my wrists and it'd bleed idiot ass Sonic blue if I weren't already preoccupied with it bleeding Arkansas Razorback red because I continually make bad choices in life with the things I choose to irrationally like/put money towards? Can I get "Sonic cred" as far as being a Sonic fan if I say I loved All Star Racing, All Star Racing Transformed, and Tennis?

I'm legitimately not trying to be cute with you or whatever, but I legitimately don't know what in the calendar year of our lord 2019 it actually means to have a "movie that is actually based on the Sonic games" and what that would entail. EnTAILS. Fuck. I'm Tails. I can't do anything for shit. Sooooooniiiiiiiiiiiiicccc. Let me punch these boxes with my fist, Sonic. I'm Knuckles. My characterization is that I sometimes brood, but I'm still good (I'm basically Tommy, the Green/White Power Ranger like that, or I dunno anything else from the 90s because fuck my childhood we were simple as all getout), but also I punch shit. Hard. And sometimes you collect 10 rings for it.
1550285973873.jpg

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
-The leaks going around are a bad representation of what he looks like in the film, according to him.

I think you're getting your hopes up if you think there's going to be a significant difference between what's in this trailer and what's been going around last week. It is probably too late for the model to be radically changed from what we saw in the Style Guide.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legitimately not trying to be cute with you or whatever, but I legitimately don't know what in the calendar year of our lord 2019 it actually means to have a "movie that is actually based on the Sonic games" and what that would entail.

Sonic and his friends run around the world trying to stop Eggman from getting all the Chaos Emeralds. Hijinks ensue. It's so simple that it actually takes more effort to come up with the premise put forth by this film.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I can't find it anymore sorry :/
People talked about it last year on a thread in ResetEra, it was absolutely bonkers tho. Sonic destroy a robot and then dance and sing a parody of This is America. Probably bullshit, but still. I want this to happen.

33jeXd7.jpg

It says a lot when a script leak this blatantly fake was still too plausible for people to immediately write off.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic and his friends run around the world trying to stop Eggman from getting all the Chaos Emeralds. Hijinks ensue. It's so simple that it actually takes more effort to come up with the premise put forth by this film.

Horseshit. This flick is basically Sonic inserted into a bog-standard Hollywood "live action adaptation of a children's cartoon" plot. It's literally zero-effort.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Horseshit. This flick is basically Sonic inserted into a bog-standard Hollywood "live action adaptation of a children's cartoon" plot. It's literally zero-effort.

Oh shit you're right, making my idea would have required anyone involved in this production to have actually played the games, or at least read a Wikipedia entry.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit you're right, making my idea would have required anyone involved in this production to have actually played the games, or at least read a Wikipedia entry.

To be fair, it's not like Sonic media adaptations have a great track record of actually resembling the games. Like, of all the 90s adaptations of the franchise it feels like only the Fleetway comics ever gave even a quarter of a shit about the source material.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the problem with that premise is that this would probably cost more since you have more set pieces to make. for something unproven in the medium, that might not be a good idea

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Because normal people don't know what that is. They know what Gangster's Paradise is.

Disagree Sonic is big and known. The Sega logo theme, and Sonic entrance menu is well known as well. I would be fine with that choice since I've heard this supposed to be a fun/funny buddy cop movie. I would be fine if this is only for a first trailer to get people interested and then have a later trailer with a redone rendition of Sonic theme (updated).

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, it's not like Sonic media adaptations have a great track record of actually resembling the games. Like, of all the 90s adaptations of the franchise it feels like only the Fleetway comics ever gave even half a shit about the source material.

I can give early media like that a pass. The various 90s TV series and the Archie comic came out when there wasn't much to the franchise beyond "Sonic and Tails fight Robotnik" so I can understand why they wanted to flesh out the world with their own original ideas and characters. Nowadays when we have several decades worth of source material to pull from, there's no such excuse.

Edit: and it's not like being a bit unfaithful to the games is necessarily a bad thing anyway. The Sonic OVA does a whole lot of original stuff and people still like that. It's really just about whether it's a quality product or not.

Megaten

Oct 30, 2017
Just tell me Sonic has an existential crisis at some point in the movie and has to navigate a maze of balls. Some blue, some red, some with stars. Also he kisses a bat.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
What a timeline we live in.

We got live action RE movie series that went up to 7 movies, 2 silent hill movies (which didnt do well).

Now we got Sonic AND Pokemon.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
[QUOTE="Zippo, post: 18700068, member: 35634"
-The trailer has and, I'm not making this shit up, Gangster's Paradise by Coolio as the music track playing in it.
[/QUOTE]

Oh hell this is going to be good isn't it.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
My guess is they wanted to rope in 90s kids by throwing in Gangster's Paradise and judging by the reactions here...mission accomplished?

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
everything about this movie feels almost surgically designed to spread virally through social media lol

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Setting up Tails for the sequel and a trailer with 2Pac and Snoop's "2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted"