• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2018
If this has already been posted then mods please lock thread. Anyways, I see this as:
1. A response to the Bethesda purchase possibly.
2. Sony reassuring fans that Playstation is still supportive of Japanese games.

But all in all we've been seeing Sony doing a crazy amount of exclusive deals. What is Resetera's opinion on this? Is Sony wasting money or is this needed for Playstation?

new rumor suggests that Sony is looking to make sure that the Final Fantasy franchise stays exclusive to PlayStation this generation.

The Final Fantasy games were once strongly associated with Nintendo, as Square Enix released the first six games in the series exclusively on the NES and Super Nintendo systems. However, things changed when Sony introduced the PS1, with Square Enix jumping ship to release Final Fantasy games exclusively on PlayStation up until Final Fantasy 11 was released on PC and Final Fantasy 13 launched for Xbox 360.

Since then, the Final Fantasy franchise has mostly been multiplatform, with Final Fantasy 14 releasing for both PC and PlayStation consoles and Final Fantasy 15 coming to PC, PlayStation, and Xbox platforms. While the series will remain on PC, it seems as though Sony is wanting Final Fantasy to be console exclusive to PlayStation yet again, if recent rumors are any indication.

VGC's Jordan Middler recent commented on ResetERA about Square Enix's plans forFinal Fantasy. According to Middler, most of the games that Square Enix publishes will make their way to Xbox, but it's doubtful thatFinal Fantasygames will beyond the upcomingStranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin. "Sony wants PS to be the home ofFFthis gen," Middler said. Middler also pointed out thatFinal Fantasy 7 Remake was already supposed to be on Xbox, but that has yet to happen.

While Sony and Square Enix haven't announced any official partnership, it does seem like Sony is indeed making sureFinal Fantasyis console exclusive to PlayStation 5 this generation.Final Fantasy 16is a PlayStation 5 console exclusive, after all, and even the non-Final FantasySquare Enix gameForspoken is a PS5 console exclusiveas well. While it's certainly possible that one or both of those games will come to Xbox at some point down the line, it may be better if Xbox enthusiasts don't hold their breath.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
How about getting the pixel remaster on your console first huh
and also the FF13 trilogy being playable on an Xbox and not on a PS5 is fucking disgrade

Skoje

Oct 26, 2017
I mean...... i highly doubt that FFXIV 7.+ expansions will stay only on playstation.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Era > Internet > Era

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess thats another way to make sure Xbox still isn't a viable option for Japanese developed games.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It's a bit of a hit or miss franchise. Having a bigger relationship with Square to secure new stuff outside of FF would be nice.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Stranger of paradise is multiplatform
FF16 is coming to PC
FFVII Remake is on PC

????

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Sony doesn't really seem to see PC as a competitor anymore, but yeah I wouldn't be surprised if we never see another mainline FF on Xbox.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I read a comment on here a while back that suggested Square-Enix was no longer longer making games for us consumers, it was was making games for Sony and Epic to buy exclusivity for. I don't think that's true but it feels like it could be.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
It's money down the drain, IMO. Sony gave up on Japan more or less, wouldn't it make more sense for Square to give Nintendo more exclusives and let everything else go multiplatform?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
They didn't get the most interesting upcoming Final Fantasy game, Chocobo GP, so I don't think it's true

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
that would be a gargantuan amount of money for Sony. I wonder how they even pay for that, they'd need to have an idea of how many titles that actually consists of

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Is resetera a good source?

280-l.webp

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
This has been hinted at by Navtra on here before.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising sony is money hatting like no other and square would release the next main ff game exclusively on the iphone if apple paid them enough

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
So what would they have to do? Cover the predicted sales of FF sales on Xbox and then some? Should be pretty cheap relatively speaking.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Are they even that big? Personably FFXVI isn't really much of a draw compared to stuff like Naughty Dog's games, Insomniac's games, Ghost of Tsushima, Gran Turismo…

I don't know, maybe I'm underestimating how popular the franchise is but I have a hard time many people would make a purchasing decision based on Final Fantasy.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
With PS5 game sales cratering in Japan, that would be a very expensive deal for Sony to make. It might be the case in the short-term, but I doubt it will last long term.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"We don't want to make RPGs of our own but we'll pay a lot of money to make sure other people don't get these formerly multiplatform ones".

Why the fuck are RPG fans being screwed over so badly by Sony and MS this generation? It sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.