• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Weird that there are boxes for DLC characters just... there.
I mean, who wants black empty boxes on their character select screen? Just cough up for the pass and they'll be filled! /s

They've never had DLC spaces just sitting there on day 1 before, I'm hoping they'll go away. The only time I can remember there being blank spaces was in MKX KP1, because they had to widen the CS screen an appropriate amount of spaces

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to be forced to choose between which legacy moves I can use for my favorite character...it just feels off and completely unnecessary. Having variations does not make the game more balanced..all it does is dramatically increase the match up complexity and thus widen the gap of time needed to be put in to be competitive. Again if you like the variations cool but I don't and am pretty confident they'll be gone in MK12.
Given their appearance and the adoption of a similar system in Injustice 2, variations are more likely to be a crucial part of Mortal Kombat's identity going forward. Giving players the ability to customise or choose a variation that best matches their play style, while still using their favourite characters, is a positive. Sure, some players such as yourself, are going to be disappointed that you don't have access to all of the moves available in a single variation. However, I'd wager the mainstream popularity of Mortal Kombat and Injustice is largely due to their immense options for customisation. The variation system is part and parcel of that. Thus I don't see it going away.

Last edited:

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
4?

There are 3 new characters in Geras, Cetrion and The Kollector. Kronika is confirmed to not be a playable character.
guess who can't fucking count today
Hero Protagonist I fixed the counts

Edit: I was looking over how I got 4, I'm pretty sure I counted Frost as new, she's basically enough of a new character for my standards as she hasn't been playable in 9 or 10

Still a disappointing number of new characters

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow, that's disappointing. Was hoping for closer to half new and half returning roster. Disappointing in that they're afraid to move it forward with new faces.
It's a bit disengenuous. A character like Skarlet is so different as to almost be a brand new character. Characters like Frost never fought on a 2D plane before. MK has a huge roster of underused fighters.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Overall I'm glad they at least stuck to their guns and didn't ditch the new era characters, that said Frost being the only 3D era character is not a highlight of the cast and I expect that to be remedied with KP1 adding another in the vein of crowd favorites from MK4 or MKD. Still want to find out who that mysterious purple man in the menu is if they aren't Rain.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I agree with kitana but SHA is Shang Tsung I am quite sure.
If you believe the OP, Shang Tsung is one of the three secret characters that will be in the unlabeled boxes, along with the 6 DLC characters (9 empty boxes).
They're both there, but Shao Kahn goes in the labelled box and Shang Tsung goes in an empty box.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's disappointing. Was hoping for closer to half new and half returning roster. Disappointing in that they're afraid to move it forward with new faces.

They just did that with MKX. Fans complained about missing characters. And plenty of the characters were getting in 11 skipped out on MKX.

Like, of all fighting game series, MK is one series you really can't say this about. To claim they're afraid is, frankly, incredibly stupid.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
No kenshi or takeda....
what the ....
tenor.gif

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The worst time was when they replaced ninja Noob with Kano Noob.

They fixed it with UMK3, but then the Saturn version reverted the change back to Kano again. Best character being one of the worst. Not a good time being a Noob fan back in the day.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't going to say anything but yeah i'm wondering too, Lol it's hard for me to even imagine an MK fan that considers Kano a make or break for them.

He was one of my favorite in X but that was mostly because of the way his combos looked, they felt brutal and were fun to do. I don't really care about the character one way or the other, though.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
28 total (including preorder character Shao Khan)
25 returning
3 new
People expecting 28 might be dissapointed.

The leak character select screen seems to be an older version, the current one shown on Kombat Kast, changed the portraits and the positions of some characters.

I want it to be 28, but, 25 seems to be it, just a warning.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
People expecting 28 might be dissapointed.

The leak character select screen seems to be an older version, the current one shown on Kombat Kast, changed the portraits and the positions of some characters.

I want it to be 28, but, 25 seems to be it, just a warning.
I mean, people can take the leak as they will, I just provided a count of the number of characters this leak says are in

I'd rather have E. Honda over not-Evil Ryu, but the people want characters like Makoto, Q, and Sodom. Search your feelings, you know it to be true