Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2019
I want another girl power FF like XIII.
Dude yes. I wrote a whole article about this back when I used to be a "games writer" that went horrifically unnoticed because everyone hated 13 at launch (and also because lol @ me being a games writer).

I still suspect that some of the reception is because of how women-focused the game was, but that's obviously not a conversation for this thread.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
The shackles of 2006 really held the series back. I think a thread was made recently but this is the first time major projects are not related to that time period. The rebirth of FFXIV was a vision for what really could be done, but only until recently it was the only beacon of interest with the series. I hope XVI really revitalizes the brand.

For sure, about 2006. If we look at the development time for most of Square's releases over the last few years, every game's had reasonable cycles (not to mention decent critical reception overall). It's the meme of Square-Enix games taking 15 years to develop that just keeps rearing its head imo.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, the composer for Type-0 composed Dissidia NT? That's really surprising. Type-0 has a really good (although also really repetitive) soundtrack. Dissidia's remixes are all awful from what I remember, and that vocal main theme is like ear-bleedingly bad. Strange
Yeah, it's the same composer. Dissidia NT and Kingdom Hearts 3 aren't his best work.

Oct 31, 2017
Oct 31, 2017
XIII didn't feel girl powered to me at all - or if it is, it's very shallow about it. Outside of maybe Fang and Vanille, none of the female characters really have any depth to their relationships with each other. Lightning's relationship with her own sister is a glaring example of that imo.
Oh for sure they can expand on the "girl power" aspect but I appreciate how all the most important main characters in the story are female.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting some crappy spin off filled with fanservice, so a souls FF would be a nice surprise.

Maybe after Souls FF and DmC FF we get a turn party based FF lol.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I'm totally fine with more action in my Final Fantasy, keep it up!!

output.gif

output6dc8fee816833484.gif

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
So is the classic FF collection something that leaked or speculation?

I would love that if it is real.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
No. X-2 has a dumb "Charlie's Angels" vibe. With XIII we have Fang and Vanille as the most important characters in the story, and both Lightning and Fang as independent female lead characters.

but I know Era has a hate boner for FFXIII

Eh. I think 13 was ok. The main problem for me is its characters in general, so no matter how important Fang, Vanille, and Lightening were, I only really cared for Fang. I do understand that X-2's vibes aren't for everyone tho.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
XIII didn't feel girl powered to me at all - or if it is, it's very shallow about it. Outside of maybe Fang and Vanille, none of the female characters really have any depth to their relationships with each other. Lightning's relationship with her own sister is a glaring example of that imo.

I feel like Lightning being a pale imitation of what people misremember Cloud to be like is what doomed that. She's so horribly bad at interacting with other people that all of her interactions come off as either robotic or vitriolic. And while there's nothing wrong with writing a female character whose primary emotion is anger, it does make character interactions pretty difficult. Anger is a bad emotion to mainline for any character, lol.

That being said, in the modern era, I feel like there are lots of RPGs about primarily or exclusively female casts, especially in the JRPG sphere. A lot of that is in the gacha sphere, of course, but even outside of that there are a lot of RPGs with female casts to the point at which I was kind of shocked that FFXV went for the all-boy party because that basically hasn't been done unless you count the largely uncharacterized NES-FFI and NES-FFIII casts as all-male.

Please get Chris Sabat back as Garland:

That is all.

Agreed. Blowhard Vegeta was such a great voice call for Garland.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. X-2 has a dumb "Charlie's Angels" vibe.
The vibe of X-2 is great, if not admittedly stupid sometimes. >.> I watched Charlie's Angel: Full Throttle a lot as a kid so X-2 appeals to me okay.

Oh for sure they can expand on the "girl power" aspect but I appreciate how all the most important main characters in the story are female.
Yeah, that's fair. I've noticed that whenever there are prominent female characters in the cast, they don't really develop their relationships with one another and they kind of just...exist around each other. They did a good job with Tifa and Aerith's relationship with VIIR so hopefully that's a sign SE is learning and we see more of this with female characters in the future.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's the best FFI version, PSX or PSP?
PS1. The PSP looks and sounds nicer, but it's completely brain-dead gameplay-wise. Zero challenge whatsoever.

The PS1 remaster still looks great, and has a really great challenge to it. It also has some quality of life stuff that the NES game didn't.

Go for the PS1 release.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
The handling of women in XV was terrible, Lightning and Serah probably only have 10 minutes of shared screentime over the span of 3 40+ hour games, they actively sexualized Lightning in LR, and X-2 has issues with faux feminism among other things. Good representation is more than just having a female character as the lead and It's not a stretch to be concerned about how women are going to be handled in XVI either.

I agree with this, but I don't think it's quite that simple. Fang and Vanille have plenty of screentime in the XIII trilogy (and not solely sexualized), FFXIV has multiple female characters with full narrative arcs that aren't there just to be sexy or empower/rely on men (Lyse, Ryne, Gaia, Y'shtola, off the top of my head), and VII Remake spent some time giving Tifa and Aerith a friendship and getting to be characters that weren't there solely for sex appeal. I'm just a gay dude, so I could certainly have a skewed view of things, but I think it could easily go either way with any female characters we get in XVI or this spin-off.

(God, I'm still mad about what they pulled with Luna. And like... everything about Cindy. Oof.)

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just announcements. Who knows when this stuff will actually release.

1997-2001 was a far greater time to be a FF fan seeing as how we got FF7, 8, 9, 10, AND Tactics.

Aside from FF7R-2, 16 doesn't seem too far away, and given TN's track record, the game usually comes out about more or less a year after their alpha demos.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone scoffing at the Dissidia NT team being involved must not realise how different developers can adapt development to different games; besides, the reason NT sucked was clearly out of their control.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, you got my attention with Team Ninja collaboration set on the first world of FInal Fantasy.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
because i'm old: FF1 was the first game i bought with my own money. at launch. felt like a massive leap forward from DQ1 with classes and a party-based system, multiple continents, river traversal, airship (DQ 2 released after FF1 in NA)

it may not feel like it now but it was quite innovative for its time

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Just announcements. Who knows when this stuff will actually release.

1997-2001 was a far greater time to be a FF fan seeing as how we got FF7, 8, 9, 10, AND Tactics.

At least with "Origin", we can assume we'll actually see this puppy release by next year. The article already is talking about repeating Nioh's pattern with an alpha demo this summer.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If it's FF1 based, there was a reddit post asking what people would think if they made an ARPG FF1 right around the time the other Elden Ring leaker posted, so if the rumors are that a bunch of people know, that might've been someone else being sneaky.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I want a Musou game for EVERY mainline Final Fantasy game.

Like, not as a collection, like a Zelda: Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity >>>> Hyrule Warriors 1 sorta deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.