• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it.
A price cut would make more sense in 2022 than 2021 IMO.

It could just be that they want to discontinue the V2 Switch sooner rather than later due to increased component costs in virtually every sector. Maybe the original plan was doing this in 2022 but the component cost for making three separate models with three separate screens got to be too high to keep it up.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
It could just be that they want to discontinue the V2 Switch sooner rather than later due to increased component costs in virtually every sector. Maybe the original plan was doing this in 2022 but the component cost for making three separate models with three separate screens got to be too high to keep it up.
So this is more like a temporary price decrease to lead to a long term price increase? Honesty makes more sense than cutting the price for something selling insanely well without reason.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
As I expected, it looks like they're going to be phasing out the non-OLED hybrid pretty quickly. It seemed very unlikely it would linger for long.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how the OLED model can justify a $100 extra fee, it barely seemed like it justified a $50 extra fee. This wouldn't make sense to me unless they're going to phase out the standard model and effectively bump up the price of the system 4.5 years into its life, which seems crazy.

Last edited:

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
I though it would make more sense to have the price drop at the same time the new model launches.. if they want to clear stock, they will probably have a lot of OLED units available at launch/holiday period to avoid shortages.

Then again, they don't have competition so I don't know why bother lowering the price.

Luca5trife

Mar 30, 2019
Portugal
That's very interesting. I wonder how much of a price cut it'll be in the US.

Here in Portugal the Switch released for 329€, but since before the OLED was announced, it was constantly being sold for 299€, or 329€ with a free game.

These days, there are stores selling it for 299€ with Mario Party and Mario Rabbids sometimes.

It's true, in Portugal, the Switch Lite is very often sold at 149€.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
That would be huge and I'm sure drum up support for the OLED version.
I feel like it would be the opposite?

The problem with the OLED Switch was that it was a minor upgrade for a major price increase. By dropping the cost of the standard Switch it feels like they're only creating a greater price difference.

Mercury_Sagit

Aug 4, 2020

The problem with the OLED Switch was that it was a minor upgrade for a major price increase. By dropping the cost of the standard Switch it feels like they're only creating a greater price difference.
What's also possible is that Nintendo wants to get rid of V2 stock as fast as possible, then they can adjust the price of OLED model thereafter if necessary. Manufacturing cost could be a factor here.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise

Oh is the OLED more than $300? I thought it was going to debut at the same price but I guess not.

Oct 26, 2017
Hope that means that the OLED will be $300 soon enough. I'm alright with getting one for $350 for the better screen, kickstand, and hopefully WiFi so I can pass down mine to my little sister's but I'm not everyone

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Might get one for my partner at that price. I'm sure stock won't last through the holiday season.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If it's a stock clear then they aren't likely to make an official price point, more likely just allow discounts through retailers backed by lower pricing but comms being retailer led

if a formal price cut then would suggest they'll keep it on as a lower price i it and the oled sits as a premium offer.

could see either tbh.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
I can confirm a drop to 279€ really soon, at least in a EU retailer (temporary cut or not I don't know, it's in the same time frame though)

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of strange they would do this and not make the OLED $300, because now that bad deal looks even worse...

Oct 25, 2017
oh I know, I'm just saying, if the price gap between the Lite and Docked model, would have been 50 instead of 100 I probably would have gotten the dock.

I never saw myself using it in console mode hence buying the Lite, but I would have shelled out 50 for the luxury.
Ah, got it! Sorry for misunderstanding you. Yeah, the $299 Switch also has more battery life and a bigger screen. So if the difference is smaller, I can see some consumers skewing towards the discounted model rather than the Lite.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
Ah, got it! Sorry for misunderstanding you. Yeah, the $299 Switch also has more battery life and a bigger screen. So if the difference is smaller, I can see some consumers skewing towards the discounted model rather than the Lite.
definitely yeah, I certainly would have, but ah well.

my entire reason for buying the Lite anyway was because, despite it probably not being 2022, I was betting on a new Switch console by 2023, and I figured given that I'm going into the ecosystem so late, I'd just get a Lite now, and then the more powerful console (whatever they call it), whenever it drops.

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing is I'm a Best Buy Elite Plus member so I could return and rebuy and get like $50 back

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
Press X to doubt

The price cut would only be true if the "red box" model is discontinued.

Nov 28, 2017
Not believing anything Nintendo related, until official, but it's insane that they haven't had a pricecut (well, technically they cheated with the Switch Lite, but still) for 4.5 years into a generation of their flagship console.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
My guess is that OLED preordes are lower than they expected and want to boost sales AND at the same time initiate out phasing the OG models.

Makes total sense. Hell i sold my OG switch this summer with too high hoprs for the "pro" i can even see myself buying an OG one again if price is low enough, even if i have a Lite already.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that OLED preordes are lower than they expected and want to boost sales AND at the same time initiate out phasing the OG models.

Makes total sense. Hell i sold my OG switch this summer with too high hoprs for the "pro" i can even see myself buying an OG one again if price is low enough, even if i have a Lite already.
don't think it has anything to do with OLED preorders. price cuts wouldn't help with that anyway since this is a price cut for the LCD switch

Oct 26, 2017
As I expected, it looks like they're going to be phasing out the non-OLED hybrid pretty quickly. It seemed very unlikely it would linger for long.

This is jumping the gun. Your only basis is a retailer where we don't even know if this is the retailer clearing out stock or an actual MSRP drop. Not to mention, this is only in Europe (so far).

It doesn't make sense to drop the OLED and then phase out the non-hybrid. Especially considering the price difference.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

This price drop reduces the value of the OLED model, not increases it. If anything this might be in part due to people waiting on the OLED model rather than buying the current Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.