Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
This is jumping the gun. Your only basis is a retailer where we don't even know if this is the retailer clearing out stock or an actual MSRP drop. Not to mention, this is only in Europe (so far).

It doesn't make sense to drop the OLED and then phase out the non-hybrid. Especially considering the price difference.
As stated in the OP, this seems unlikely to be an isolated thing.

I think a significant part of Nintendo's goal with the OLED model is to do a stealth price hike, so the price difference is part of the point. More generally, though, I think they'll probably want the old hybrid out of the way pretty quickly because it's mostly redundant with the OLED one and a much more major new model probably isn't too far off.

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that OLED preordes are lower than they expected and want to boost sales AND at the same time initiate out phasing the OG models.

Makes total sense. Hell i sold my OG switch this summer with too high hoprs for the "pro" i can even see myself buying an OG one again if price is low d , even if i have a Lite already.
OLED sold out all pre-orders and Toshiba warned that it will face supply chain issues. OLED will be an insane sucess.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Phasing out the 2019 model, leaving only the OLED model and then having the opening to launch another console 1-2 years later with the $350 price tag while cutting the OLED price to $300.

yeah but they could also just stop production sell through all remaining units and still make same profit margin. Just seems like a very odd move from Nintendo.

Oct 25, 2017
México
My guess is that OLED preordes are lower than they expected and want to boost sales AND at the same time initiate out phasing the OG models.

Makes total sense. Hell i sold my OG switch this summer with too high hoprs for the "pro" i can even see myself buying an OG one again if price is low enough, even if i have a Lite already.
OLED sales lower than expected?

Every store sold out all of their pre-orders from the very first day.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
Surely i cant be the only one disappointed on what the Oled model acutally does for docked play.....

Anyway.

A price cut for the OG, if it happens, will at least sell them.

jankuza

Jan 13, 2021
My guess would be that they lower the price in europe because at the moment the OLED is only 20€ more expensive than the Old Model.

The OLED is converted 1:1 from $ to € while the Original Switch was converted from 299$ to 329€.

So I would assume that they lower the price now to have a larger gap between the two models.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how the OLED model can justify a $100 extra fee, it barely seemed like it justified a $50 extra fee. This wouldn't make sense to me unless they're going to phase out the standard model and effectively bump up the price of the system 4.5 years into its life, which seems crazy.
I'm with you on this. Seems a little nuts.

animalcrosser

Banned
Apr 7, 2020
Either Nintendo is gearing up for the holidays and wants to be #1 this season, or they're getting ready to clear out LCD stock and push the price hike onto consumers (for OLED). It's also possible they don't want 4 SKUs when (or if) a pro is released. That's assuming this reporting is true.

RennanNT

Dec 2, 2020
Weird. What's the point in clearing stock and losing money if you're not going to be able to refill it and meet demand?
They aren't able to meet demand for the OLED, but meeting the demand for the standard model is a different story. Specially in Europe, where Nintendo isn't super strong and the MRSP is the closest from the OLEDs.

IMO, they will prioritize shipping OLED to NA and Japan, and only send a small shipment to EU, with other regions not even receiving shipments this year. And in order to not plummet sales there as people would hold their purchases, they will make the standard model more attractive through pricing.

Once the holiday season shipments are manufactured and the OLED production is ironed out, they will discontinue the standard model so that people will not chose it over the OLED.

Dec 2, 2020
Switch 2 is definitely coming late 2022. I expect these prices when it hits -

Switch Lite - $200.
OG Switch - $250.
Switch OLED $350.
Switch 2 - $450.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I kinda want to buy a Lite to play Metroid. If that one could also drop to like sub 180€ I would be happy.

RennanNT

Dec 2, 2020
Considering the Lite isn't rumored to be getting drop here I'm unsure why you think that. That seems to be exactly what the rumor is pointing to.
Not them, but the standard was already way more desired than the Lite when it was $100 more. If the standard gets a price drop, either the Lite is getting one too or the standard model is being discontinued soon.

Given the "(OLED model)" looks way more like a temporary clarification rather than being part of the name, I'm fairly sure it would be the later.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the Lite isn't rumored to be getting drop here I'm unsure why you think that. That seems to be exactly what the rumor is pointing to.
He is talking about late 2022, as ILikeFeet you are unlikely to find many LCD OG Switches.by that point anyway.

Besides that the Switch Lite would be way too unattractive if the regular Switch was just 50 more. That's never gonna be a thing.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Not them, but the standard was already way more desired than the Lite when it was $100 more. If the standard gets a price drop, either the Lite is getting one too or the standard model is being discontinued soon.

Given the "(OLED model)" looks way more like a temporary clarification rather than being part of the name, I'm fairly sure it would be the later.

Yeah I agree it's the latter.

He is talking about late 2022, as ILikeFeet you are unlikely to find many LCD OG Switches.by that point anyway.

Besides that the Switch Lite would be way too unattractive if the regular Switch was just 50 more. That's never gonna be a thing.

Well still, the difference between the two probably for the next 6 months or so (until it's out of stock) will likely indeed be $50.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
My guess is that OLED preorders are lower than they expected and want to boost sales AND at the same time initiate out phasing the OG models.
Actually it could be the other way around - since the OLED announcement, OG Switch sales have declined (we've definitely seen this at least in Japan where we get weekly numbers, from the very first week after the OLED announcement), and so Nintendo may be afraid they will have an even harder time "getting rid" of OG Switch stock once OLED comes out, hence a price cut to get rid of as much OG Switch stock they can now while the OLED is not out yet.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Surely i cant be the only one disappointed on what the Oled model acutally does for docked play.....
Just because you personally are disappointed with the OLED model it does not mean others are as well. Never ever base sales predictions on your personal feelings, it's not how it works. And this price cut has 100% nothing to do with OLED pre-orders.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Switch Next is not going to cost $450. $399 at maximum and I expect to be $349. Also, expect the Lite to receive a OLED sucessor.

I feel like the Lite isn't going to get an OLED version anytime soon, if at all. People expect it because the OLED screen is supposed to enhance the portable experience but... that's literally the point of the OLED hybrid model. Its goal is to upsell Lite owners. Launching an OLED Lite at a much lower price point completely contradicts that strategy.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
Just because you personally are disappointed with the OLED model it does not mean others are as well. Never ever base sales predictions on your personal feelings, it's not how it works. And this price cut has 100% nothing to do with OLED pre-orders.

Fair point. But to think i am the sole person whith that feeling seems very unrealistic to me.

Being 100% certain of something based on a rumor seems unrealistic aswell.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Thread title should clarify this is probably only for Europe since a lot of people don't read the OP in detail.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
If thats true, that means clearing stocks of current Switch model for Oled model that will be new main model.

Deleted member 99377

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
This would make no sense considering the OLED is coming within a few months. Why undercut your own model when people were already mad that it has minimal improvements for $50 more. You really want to make the gap wider?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This would make no sense considering the OLED is coming within a few months. Why undercut your own model when people were already mad that it has minimal improvements for $50 more. You really want to make the gap wider?

The people who were mad are really non factors here considering preorders for the OLED model sold out extremely quickly in most regions.

The end goal here is to replace the og hybrid model with the new OLED model, discontinuing the old one.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
get that $50 more revenue per unit at first.

Then discontinued the first hybrid and lower OLED to $300, instead of dropping OG to $200 or $250 keeping the revenue stream steady.

Deleted member 99377

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
The people who were mad are really non factors here considering preorders for the OLED model sold out extremely quickly in most regions.

The end goal here is to replace the og hybrid model with the new OLED model, discontinuing the old one.
If they wanted to do that, I don't see why it would be done now. It would make more sense to do this during Holiday if they are planning on doing it before already. I don't feel like the OLED model has been selling out like crazy either, just based on antidotal evidence of stock accounts I follow

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
They are clearing stock of the current model. The OLED model, which is a no brainer for 50€ more, is going to replace it as the base Switch very quickly.

These two models were never going to coexist together on the market for a long period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.