• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass has alarmingly devalued Xbox games.

Not really complaining, my Series X physical and digital library didn't cost much at all.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
If true, could be further confirmation that the all-digital Series X refresh is indeed still happening.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Pulling all inventory instead of selling through what is already on shelves sure is something.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Seems weird since in the first picture, the memo has a picture of the item that just looks like a regular iPhone screenshot...

That being said, I remember hearing some people saying they'd heard that Walmart was considering getting rid of Xbox physical games at their stores last year in response to the story of Best Buy removing physical media

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass has alarmingly devalued Xbox games.

Not really complaining, my Series X physical and digital library didn't cost much at all.
This is down to the decline in physical sales on Xbox, not Game Pass or full game sales.

If true, could be further confirmation that the all-digital Series X refresh is indeed still happening.
Yep, retailers will be one of the first to get a heads up about it.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Wouldn't it make business sense to advertise the game with a price of 10 bucks or something ?
Also why specifically Starfield, and for 3 cents ?

i don't believe it.

EDIT:
Also 3 cents and not $0.03 is pretty weird for an official e-mail.

EDIT:
Might be real.
"3 cents" is not the sell through price tag like mentioned, but the action that gets the product form the shelves.

Last edited:

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This seems.... excessive. Why not just let current inventory run out? Why even release a physical version if this was always planned? Is this just a Walmart thing?

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
"Thank you for helping process this item off our shelves!" The memo seems pretty excited about it.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still seems kinda expensive for Starfield honestly.

tenor.gif

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Adorably all digital. I wonder if MS will stop printing 1st party discs after Hellblade 2.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
This seems absolutely insane to me. Why is this happening?
Microsoft is likely seeing abysmal physical sales, particularly for their own published games, as you can access them via a monthly subscription instead.

Look at the cost of AAA games. Microsoft is trying to maximize profits where they can, and ceasing production of physical games saves money, plus siphons those who want to pay for a copy towards digital where Microsoft doesn't have to pay a retailer's cut, and the player has no option to sell

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I have exactly 1 physical Xbox SX, Forza Horizon 5.

I'd love to buy Hi-Fi Rush or Age of Empires 2 in a box but they don't exist, Microsoft themselves are slowly killing their physical publishing.

I've made a good move sticking with PlayStation and Nintendo for the bulk of my collection.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Starting with Starfield makes this sound sketch. Like, there's no way right? If true, I'm gonna be so sad and upset. Wtf, Xbox.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Someday we will live in a world where your only option will be a cloud based subscription service with no way to purchase or own a game and the monthly cost will be very high. I won't be gaming by then.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Seems weird since in the first picture, the memo has a picture of the item that just looks like a regular iPhone screenshot...

That being said, I remember hearing some people saying they'd heard that Walmart was considering getting rid of Xbox physical games at their stores last year in response to the story of Best Buy removing physical media
I work for Walmart and that screenshot is from the Me@Walmart app (an app only for employees of Walmart). You can download Me@Walmart on any Android or iOS device. It's what we use to clock in, price check items, check the location of things, print labels, etc.

This is a notice for all Walmart stores in the "Inbox" tab of Me@Walmart app. However, I'm not clocked in right now so I can't check if this specific notice for Starfield is there. But the screenshot is what a claims notice in our app looks like.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Thread title suggests it's all/several games, but OP just seems to be about Starfield, am I missing something?

Boopers

Nov 1, 2020
Vermont usa
It's most company policies to destroy products (including food, sadly) instead of giving it away. I assume there's a tax break in it.
Yup, giving product away still holds the company liable if something were to go wrong. Probably much more likely with food items (if it goes bad, etc.) than video games, but it's still the path of least resistance.

OP
OP
Mattmo831

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Thread title suggests it's all/several games, but OP just seems to be about Starfield, am I missing something?
I'm just going off what the tweet says. Plus people in wario discord have said they seen this memo different screenshots from sources. So I'm not really sure if legit

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
One less reason to go to Walmart.

Brick and mortar stores need to try harder. They're just handing over their businesses to walls of digital scratch off codes.