• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Keep in mind they said plans changed. I'm thinking they release a disc drive attachment now too. There's no way they'd completely invalidate BC like this.

Macaco5

Jan 2, 2018
Keep in mind that some Xbox Series games, like Halo Infinite, don't really contain the game on the disc. It's what has prevented me from collecting physical Xbox titles.
Tbh most physical games need a patch or two to iron out bugs etc so could he argued that every title needs a download of sorts.

My plan is to eventually buy the biggest expansion ssd for the series x and install all of my games on that plus the internal with all updates.

I know you could argue i might as well buy them digitally then but I still like knowing I have the game for good and worst case if the ssd fails I still gave the base game. Aside from exceptions like Halo Infinite.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Some aren't, like Arkham Origins. Or say maybe I have an extensive disc collection across 360 and Xbox One. Am I supposed to rebuy those titles?
You're supposed to play them on the consoles you currently own with a disc drive. Going forward you won't unless they do some kind of a disc drive add-on. Seeing that they are pulling discs out of retail I doubt that's in the plans though.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Then the question becomes would it be loose or integrated into the console somehow. Top or bottom and it could block vents.
Likely USB-C external. That way it could work with Series S too.
You're supposed to play them on the consoles you currently own with a disc drive. Going forward you won't unless they do some kind of a disc drive add-on. Seeing that they are pulling discs out of retail I doubt that's in the plans though.
People frequently trade in old consoles for new ones. I still say it's short sighted to just straight up not have a way to support physical games moving forward, but still sell them. Third parties will likely still ship physical. And considering Hellblade was specifically mentioned as digital seems like Indy and Avowed will be on disc too.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Xbox has a single digit percentage of an increasingly smaller physical market.

They won't make an add on drive for that. They'll cut it loose and move on. Retail is already moving on.

Neuromancer

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
All you have to do is go to https://www.doesitplay.org/ and look and you will see that the vast, vast majority of physical PS4/5 and Switch games are fully playable offline. The site doesn't track Xbox games due to the fact, I believe, that you have to be online to even set up an Xbox these days.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
When the news of this first broke I checked my Walmart and saw they still had Starfield and the Upgrade. Today I checked and my Walmart no longer has Starfield or a section for it but it does have the upgrade.