• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
My original response was to your claim that Warframe looks bad in general, which is ridiculous.

Deliver visual proof for "Warframe open world looks so especially bad" please. Would like to see your definition of "especially bad".

I would gladly capture some footage however I've already removed the game from my system.

I'll be the first to admit, in the indoor and corridor style missions it looked decent, even in the closed world environments it was OK. My main issue was just in the open world sections, when trying to see long distance everything just became a major blur. The colour palette didn't help things, it was very difficult for me to tell the enemy apart from the environment in a lot of areas.

I think open world games can look good enough on switch and my argument is not based on some type of console favortism. The switch is my favourite console this generation and I have always loved my Nintendo consoles above all others (incl. Wii U).

My own opinion is that Warframe in particular did not look that great in the open world sections when I played it and seeing as though the majority of W3 is based in the open world, is not built from the ground up for the Switch or by Nintendo, I am not extremely confident that it's going to look all that great - but am more than happy to be proven otherwise since I would like it play it again.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So, realistically, there's two ways this can end judging by how things tend to go:

Rumour is fake -> "See, games like this can't run on Switch."

Rumour is real -> Game comes out and runs at low resolutions with inevitable framerate drops -> "See, games like this can't run on Switch."

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Games like Doom, Wolfenstein 2 and Hellblade run good on Switch, a good port of Witcher3 is definitely possible.

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if my standards are really low. I've played a bunch of open world games on Switch, including Breath of the Wild, Skyrim, Dragon's Dogma, and Saints Row. I feel like they've mostly good to acceptable? I've put about 15 hours into the maligned Saints Row and it's really not that bad. It doesn't stand out by any means, but I've found it very playable.

I know the Switch isn't a decent PC or even a base model Xbox One, but I'm just a bit shocked when people talk about games I've spent a significant amount of time in and are like "these games run like DOG SHIT" and even when I know they're not the best way to play necessarily, I just don't see that at all.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
C'mon i like BOTW but it is a barren wasteland compared to Witcher 3.

In cities and close surroundings TW3 has much more going on. They will be the benchmark if there is truth to this rumour.

Elsewhere no. It can be quite empty. The natural environment is much less interesting exploration-wisely than Monoliths creations.

Last edited:

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
C'mon i like BOTW but it is a barren wasteland compared to Witcher 3.
remove some trees, foliage, bushes. all those are "acceptable sacrifices" when making a downport, as long as the hardware can run the core mechanics a basic "geometry" of the map, those can of things can be removed.

I know is not exactly the same gap in power, but look at RE4 in GC vs PS2.

any game can be port to anything if with the proper downsizing, some would take more than just reduce Resolution, and have to manually remove stuff, is up to the publisher if they think doing such work/ investment will pay off.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
so does BotW, your point?
wreedgv3spgz.jpg

witcher3-2016-05-27-20-16-51-47.png

Take your own conclusions.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if my standards are really low. I've played a bunch of open world games on Switch, including Breath of the Wild, Skyrim, Dragon's Dogma, and Saints Row. I feel like they've mostly good to acceptable? I've put about 15 hours into the maligned Saints Row and it's really not that bad. It doesn't stand out by any means, but I've found it very playable.

I know the Switch isn't a decent PC or even a base model Xbox One, but I'm just a bit shocked when people talk about games I've spent a significant amount of time in and are like "these games run like DOG SHIT" and even when I know they're not the best way to play necessarily, I just don't see that at all.

Of the ones you've listed on Saint's Row is often criticized. Most open world games on the system run pretty well, it's just a few recent cases like Saint's Row and AC3 which were kinda rushed ports that people like to bring up.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no way this works out.

Its a cloud version? People will go "why not port the game"

You port the game and its a rough port because its Witcher 3 and the Switch? "LOL LAZY DEVS hate Nintendo".

Last edited:

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017

Agreed. Last gen games were acceptable at the time and don't suddenly look hideous now that more powerful hardware exists.

And Switch is about 3X more powerful than PS3, anyhow.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So, realistically, there's two ways this can end judging by how things tend to go:

Rumour is fake -> "See, games like this can't run on Switch."

Rumour is real -> Game comes out and runs at low resolutions with inevitable framerate drops -> "See, games like this can't run on Switch."
I've read a variation of this assessment elsewhere:
There is no way this works out.

Its a cloud version? People will go "why not port the game"

You port the game and its a rough port because its Witcher 3 and the Switch? "LOL LAZY DEVS hate nijt3ndo"

Almost like people with different views and opponents perceive each situation though a different lens...

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
If it looked and ran around the quality of Skyrim Switch, that would be really good. Hope it's true!

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
That could work, perhaps some smart use of the draw distances but it will lack the amazing vistas from the other platforms.
dont worry, there are tons of videos and screen caps on the internet for those that just want to have the "visual" part of the experience.

/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/
Back to an old post
>BotW is a barren land vs Witcher 3, so it can not run it.

Is not like devs have not pull some gardening jobs before to accommodate a game to different hardwares
1448928906513.jpg

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Cherrypick? You realize I could have posted Novigrad, don't you?

And I could have picked an even emptier more barren section in TW3.

I don't disagree with your overall point, the Witcher 3 has a lot more density in content in its world than BotW does. But making false comparisons with cherrypicked images is a very poor argument.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
And I could have picked an even emptier more barren section in TW3.

I don't disagree with your overall point, the Witcher 3 has a lot more density in content in its world than BotW does. But making false comparisons with cherrypicked images is a very poor argument.
It's just the reality, The Witcher 3 is leagues above BotW in this matter.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Based on my experience playing The Witcher 3 on PS4, it's not the pretty overworld I'm worried about when I think about a Switch port but the stuttering, minute-long freezes and sudden crashs during certain encounters as well as inventory managment becoming unbearably sluggish once you hoard a few items in chests.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's just the reality, The Witcher 3 is leagues above BotW in this matter.

In density of content? Sure. TW3 has way more NPCs, buildings, enemies, and items per area than BotW does.

All of those assets are very different though in BotW. Nearly every tree is interactive in a number of ways, every patch of grass can be wetted or burned causing real gameplay effects, every type of terrain has creates different sound levels that are actively calculated in terms of what enemies can hear. BotW has a much more interactive world, which takes a lot of resources on its own. TW3 doesn't have any of this stuff.

That's not to take away from TW3, but the point is they are both resource intensive games in very different ways. TW3 uses a lot of static but highly detailed objects. BotW uses a smaller amount of less detailed but far more dynamic objects.

Apparently you do.

Nobody is talking about the empty world in both of those games.

And an empty castle is not comparable to a huge town with over 100 npcs.

BotW "struggles" with a small village.

1464288008596agjhh.jpg

botw_hateno_villagecmjat.png

Yes, I literally cherrypicked that comparison specifically because the poster I responded to did. That was my entire point.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
LITERALLY ON THIS PAGE.

coL73K8.png
as someone else said you are compering static element that add visual to interactive elements that are more core to gameplay, try to guess which is easier to removes in a downport

The fallacy in all the "LOLSWITCH CANT DO IT" argument is that you all think that elements that are 100% only for visuals cant be removed.

take as example

Switch cant even handle that

maxresdefault.jpg

Imagine this

maxresdefault.jpg

you can removes 30% of the trees and stuff in this picture, and save from a side by side comparison, likely no one will notice, or even care and that will have literal 0 impact on the gameplay of the game.

Internet forums is the only place that seems to care more about the visuals of the game than the gameplay.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's also worth pointing out that BOTW was a launch title, and was designed around the capabilities of the Wii U.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
as someone else said you are compering static element that add visual to interactive elements that are more core to gameplay, try to guess which is easier to removes in a downport

Both i guess?

BotWs interactive elements are not running all the time. The trees you can cut down are static as long nobody cuts them down. The second you interact with them they do their thing. It's the same with enemies. Just because i can see an enemy that is able to breath fire on me i doesn't mean the engine has to render and work behind the scenes to make this possible. The fire is only being rendered if i as the player engage with the enemy.

How do you think games work behind the scenes? Almost everything is "off" all the time.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
To achieve what exactly?

Nobody is talking badly about botw here but so far no open world game that isn't especially made for the switch, even last gen titles like saints row 3 or ac3, is capable of running "ok".

To show that cherrypicking is a bad argument. I'm not sure what else you thought I was saying. I thought I made that clear.

And Starlink runs great on Switch, which is a current gen open world game.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
BOTW is much more different than similar to Witcher 3 so unsure why it's being used as the barometer here

Either way, TW3 is still a game that struggles to run in multiple areas on the Base PS4 which is an order of magnitude more capable than the Switch. It's really not within the realm of possibilities that it could run on the Switch without sweeping changes to how the game is fundamentally designed and cutbacks to resolution, effects, etc.

Does CPDR who is knee-deep in development of CP2077 think it's worth it? Could an outside dev come in and make this happen on Switch? I don't think either scenario is likely.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
It's not gonna be streamed, the development is outsourced, CDPR is too busy [all hands on deck] with Cyberpunk.

A bit shocked when I learned, but there it is lol.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I think it's also worth pointing out that BOTW was a launch title, and was designed around the capabilities of the Wii U.

Yes but people just love to be negative here ( that's an understatement ). They haven't seen the game running on the system or anything - as it's not even confirmed - and they're calling it crap. We heard the same shit over and over again before Doom was the Switch.

I played the Witcher 2 on 360 and I love it. I played Half Life 2 on the Original Xbox as well. Of course those games didn't run as well as on pc - Duh - but it was great to play them on console.

Same here, I don't expect the Witcher 3 to run 4k, 60 fps with Ray tracing... But I'll have the joy to play it on the Go ! It was invredible to play Breath of the Wild on the Go. If I can play the Witcher 3 as well on the Go as well that would be great !

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
BOTW is much more different than similar to Witcher 3 so unsure why it's being used as the barometer here

Either way, TW3 is still a game that struggles to run in multiple areas on the Base PS4 which is an order of magnitude more capable than the Switch. It's really not within the realm of possibilities that it could run on the Switch without sweeping changes to how the game is fundamentally designed and cutbacks to resolution, effects, etc.

Does CPDR who is knee-deep in development of CP2077 think it's worth it? Could an outside dev come in and make this happen on Switch? I don't think either scenario is likely.
Why would the latter scenario not be likely? That's exactly what Panic Button and Iron Galaxy have been doing for Switch (and the studio that ported MK11 to Switch but whose name I have forgotten).

Status
Not open for further replies.