T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I mean Disney could just buy crunchyroll instead 🤷‍♀️ That's what I'd do if it were a corporate overlord.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Bleach will always have a special place in my heart for being my first into anime to watch with original Japanese audio a few episodes after the English dubbed aired on adult swim as I wanted to go further into the story. Just feels so out of place being on Disney+ ; I would imagine they would get the entire Pokemon anime catalog first.

Oct 26, 2017
Bleach is actually Japan's most profitable license in terms of merchandise and games. Its higher than Naruto and even One Piece

People here were saying that it's merch and game sales are higher than One Piece and DBZ. Kinda crazy. Plus this new arc looks well animated.
I'mma need y'all to start posting legitimate sources because all I'm seeing is bullshit.
Especially when Dragon Ball and One Piece have at least 5 supported mobile games each from both Japan and China.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
From what I remember bleach was the only anime on adult swim/toonami to get over a million viewers every freaking week, even with crunchy roll or pirate sites being more prevalent during the latter half of its anime run.

That's higher than one piece and Naruto in the states at least

It definitely found success similar to InuYasha on American shores.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Just popping in and saying whoever said Bleach is beating Dragon Ball or One Piece when it comes to merchandise and games is smoking that Silly Pack. Most Bleach games are a Bandai Namco property (like most anime games are) and from this list last year they're nowhere there. Mind you this is before Superhero was even announced. This is a post from our own ArchedThunder in regards how well DB performs compares to other IPs.

View: https://twitter.com/ArchedThunder/status/1392286174677389318

Secondly, when it comes to gaming Dragon Ball towers over all these other Shonen IPs and the only ones competing with them are Gundam and Kamen Rider which are due to model kits and figures. Yesterday this was announced about Dokkan Battle.

FZ8H8rFUUAAqkAK

View: https://twitter.com/Luca_dokkan/status/1557970739571183616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1557970739571183616%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

For DB, it was also discovered that even in a "decline" before Superhero, Dokkan always makes more money than the previous year. It's just different.

Bleach by itself isn't giving that type of revenue to whoever makes and publishes their games according to anything we've seen. According to the charts on Sensortower, Bleach Brave Souls is never there and they're still in the middle of their anniversary as I type this. Like, even omitting this you ain't seeing Bleach Brave Souls do these numbers. You ain't seeing anything Bleach has produced doing anything to the scale of DB, Naruto and OP.

I don't know what made some people think that Bleach is touching DB and OP in actual sales but nah, that ain't it. Yall bugging. That sounds like some "hey I like this series so lemme try to will something into existence" type of thing.

Last edited:

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
You mean Disney should buy Sony

If I were a corporate overlord I might buy it, strip it down and just release things under Colombia Pictures. OR I'd do an dirty deal with say Apple and make sure Apple give back the Spider-Man rights if we subsidise their purchase with the agreed amount to buy Spider-Man back (which would ideally be less than what Sony asked for).

So if Apple purchased Sony Pictures for $24b, and Disney gave Apple $8bn (just pulling random numbers out my ass for simplification). Then Apple would have only lost out on $16bn purchasing Sony Pictures and there's less red tape than buying another studio.

But on a personal level they should really buy Spider-Man back, personally I don't see too much value in Sony Pictures apart from Spider-Man.

hypno

Oct 25, 2017
Just popping in and saying whoever said Bleach is beating Dragon Ball or One Piece when it comes to merchandise and games is smoking that Silly Pack. Most Bleach games are a Bandai Namco property (like most anime games are) and from this list last year they're nowhere there. Mind you this is before Superhero was even announced. This is a post from our own ArchedThunder in regards how well DB performs compares to other IPs.

View: https://twitter.com/ArchedThunder/status/1392286174677389318

Secondly, when it comes to gaming Dragon Ball towers over all these other Shonen IPs and the only ones competing with them are Gundam and Kamen Rider which are due to model kits and figures. Yesterday this was announced about Dokkan Battle.

FZ8H8rFUUAAqkAK

View: https://twitter.com/Luca_dokkan/status/1557970739571183616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1557970739571183616%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

For DB, it was also discovered that even in a "decline" before Superhero, Dokkan always makes more money than the previous year. It's just different.

Bleach by itself isn't giving that type of revenue to whoever makes and publishes their games according to anything we've seen. According to the charts on Sensortower, Bleach Brave Souls is never there and they're still in the middle of their anniversary as I type this. Like, even omitting this you ain't seeing Bleach Brave Souls do these numbers. You ain't seeing anything Bleach has produced doing anything to the scale of DB, Naruto and OP.

I don't know what made some people think that Bleach is touching DB and OP in actual sales but nah, that ain't it. Yall bugging. That sounds like some "hey I like this series so lemme try to will something into existence" type of thing.

Bleach is one of the Shonen properties that Bamco doesn't have a stranglehold on. Despite what Wikipedia tells you Bleach games have only ever been published by Sega (on Nintendo consoles) and Sony (on Sony consoles). The only merchandising Bamco has any involvement with Bleach at this point are with Banpresto and Megahouse figures. So stop spreading lies, most Bleach games ARE NOT A BAMCO PROPERTY.

Bleach Brave Souls definitely does well for itself compared to most gacha games. It's been going strong for 7 years despite having no ongoing anime or manga to cross promote it like most gacha games do. For the anniversary month of July sensortower says that it made $3million in revenue, and it usually does around $1.5 ~ $2 million in any other month. That's not beating Dragon Ball or One Piece numbers but it is definitely beating Naruto! Brave Souls is one of KLAB's games that hasn't suffered yearly loss and has been ported to Steam and PlayStation. KLAB even noted that the PlayStation port did better than they thought it would so there is still an audience for Bleach games on consoles despite not having a console game since 2011.

When people say that Bleach does well in merchandise they are referring to TV Tokyo rankings.

View: https://twitter.com/nite_baron/status/1524706379000332292?s=21
Say what you will about the importance of TV Tokyo numbers but it's still impressive that Bleach is in the top 5 for both net sales and gross profit despite not having any ongoing anime to promote it.

If you want a more recent look at Bleach being popular, Bleach EX is an ongoing exhibition for Bleach that has been noted as a massive success.

Last edited:

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Bleach is one of the Shonen properties that Bamco doesn't have a stranglehold on. Despite what Wikipedia tells you Bleach games have only ever been published by Sega (on Nintendo consoles) and Sony (on Sony consoles). The only merchandising Bamco has any involvement with Bleach at this point are with Banpresto and Megahouse figures. So stop spreading lies, most Bleach games ARE NOT A BAMCO PROPERTY.

Bleach Brave Souls definitely does well for itself compared to most gacha games. It's been going strong for 7 years despite having no ongoing anime or manga to cross promote it like most gacha games do. For the anniversary month of July sensortower says that it made $3million in revenue, and it usually does around $1.5 ~ $2 million in any other month. That's not beating Dragon Ball or One Piece numbers but it is definitely beating Naruto! Brave Souls is one of KLAB's games that hasn't suffered yearly loss and has been ported to Steam and PlayStation. KLAB even noted that the PlayStation port did better than they thought it would so there is still an audience for Bleach games on consoles despite not having a console game since 2011.

When people say that Bleach does well in merchandise they are referring to TV Tokyo rankings.

Say what you will about the importance of TV Tokyo numbers but it's still impressive that Bleach is in the top 5 for both net sales and ranking despite not having any ongoing anime to promote it.

If you want a more recent look at Bleach being popular, Bleach EX is an ongoing exhibition for Bleach that has been noted as a massive success.

Thanks for the correction on Bleach not being a Bandai Namco Entertainment property. With that said I made sure to say in my post that even in case it wasn't from Bamco it extends to whoever makes and publishes the IP and even said if you omit that Bleach ain't doing those numbers so the same applies with it not competing with Dragon Ball and One Piece. You absolutely cannot compare Bleach to Dragon Ball and One Piece (let alone to Naruto when it comes to this according to your data). That is delusional. We aren't talking about being "impressive" nor are we talking about Bleach being "popular"', we are talking about comparing it to 2 of the biggest series of all time. Shoutout to Bleach for still having a foot in the game which I expected.

Like I said earlier, with 2 DB games that accounts for half of Bamco's revenue for the first half of the year. Bleach ain't doing that no matter how impressive it looks regardless who makes their sales. You can't tell me that Bleach is putting up those numbers with KLAB and Brave Souls. Like, at all and if so then we gotta have more data to utilize.

There's a clear difference between popular and competing with these titans. Bleach is still popular but that's where we draw the line. Anyone thinking it's comparable to these IP when it comes to sales and revenue are silly. We need receipts.

Last edited:

grand

Oct 25, 2017

Say what you will about the importance of TV Tokyo numbers but it's still impressive that Bleach is in the top 5 for both net sales and gross profit despite not having any ongoing anime to promote it.

But over 60% of TV Tokyo's anime business is focused on the Chinese market. And a few years ago, over 70% of the anime earnings came from China. It's a huge leap to go from the live action film, Brave Souls and the MMO all doing well in China... To Bleach somehow being more profitable than Naruto, Dragonball & One Piece. Though, if that tweet is the source of people saying that, I'm gonna take a wild guess that people don't realize that OP & DB are missing because they air on FujiTV. People do realize that's a list of anime properties owned by the TV conglomerate TVTokyo; not anime aired in Tokyo, right? TV Tokyo doesn't produce that many anime so all that list really tells me is that Bleach has more enduring popularity than Black Clover.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
If I were a corporate overlord I might buy it, strip it down and just release things under Colombia Pictures. OR I'd do an dirty deal with say Apple and make sure Apple give back the Spider-Man rights if we subsidise their purchase with the agreed amount to buy Spider-Man back (which would ideally be less than what Sony asked for).

So if Apple purchased Sony Pictures for $24b, and Disney gave Apple $8bn (just pulling random numbers out my ass for simplification). Then Apple would have only lost out on $16bn purchasing Sony Pictures and there's less red tape than buying another studio.

But on a personal level they should really buy Spider-Man back, personally I don't see too much value in Sony Pictures apart from Spider-Man.
I'm not an expert on corporate stuff but there's a lot of stuff mentioned here that seems silly. Also if Apple was spending over 20 billion on Sony Pictures, why sell off their most valuable film IP? Honestly, if Apple was trying to buy a film studio, they may as well just be 'corporate overlord' and cut out the middle man and directly buy Disney

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I mean nobody is denying Bleach is a massive success, but the idea that it's a bigger media/merchandise franchise than One Piece or Naruto, let alone the biggest anime one, is still absurd.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I mean nobody is denying Bleach is a massive success, but the idea that it's a bigger media/merchandise franchise than One Piece or Naruto, let alone the biggest anime one, is still absurd.
Yea this is how I have to categorize it myself now. I legit tried to look for any public info or blog posts that would paint a picture of Bleach being above Dragon Ball. I can't find it and that nobody in this thread who made the claim ever came back to give the receipts. Leads me to believe they misread something that they thought claimed Bleach was the biggest and are just not saying anything about it because they realized they got it wrong.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has Disney+ still not broadcast any of Black Rock Shooter or Summer Time Rendering? If so, RIP Bleach fans.

The Bleach anime coming back will truly be nostalgic in that fans will be waiting for fansubs to get their fix.

hypno

Oct 25, 2017
From the 2022 NYCC page
www.newyorkcomiccon.com

Panels & Screenings

Our panels at New York Comic span every fandom imaginable. It’s a pop culture junkie’s dream!
In the must-see panel of NYCC, thousands of lucky fans will get to see episode one of BLEACH: Thousand-Year Blood War ahead of the simulcast! We'll have special messages and an epic cosplay contest with amazing prizes. Don't miss it!
Saturday, Oct. 8, Empire Stage