Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
As long as the high-end model has a disc-drive in it with games on disc I can buy at a local retailer, all this sounds good.
Definitely feeling more inclined to jump in on Xbox next-gen first over Sony if they can get some games out early.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
1TB nvme isn't cheap but closer to $100 is far more realistic.

Crucial P1 1TB is $150 in retail today [it can achieve up to 2TB/s sequential read].

If MS or Sony want to buy tens of million of those QLC chips, they would today get the deal for <$100.

Plus industry is expecting up to 25% pricedrop on all SSDs until end of 2019, and 8 bits per cell SSD tech is also coming.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I seriously doubt they would lock Halo down to a launch title. After what they have said about taking the time to get the game right and reducing crunch.

Being a launch title means absolutely no wiggle room.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
this has already been reported by brad sams, code names and possible ssds. and the ninja theory thing was from resetera i think. halo has already been confirmed by microsoft to be a xbox one title i believe too.

just reposting rumored info. come on guys.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Nah, the rumors have been pointing towards that for months now
lol. 8 core Zen 2 processors are 100% in for both Xbox and PS5.
I say there is no way they can be having 8 cores in a SoC and a big GPU. AMD has said so far they will not use chiplet designs for APUs, which severely limits what can be achieved. If this changes by 2020, then sure, they have more flexibility.
But we'd have to see that. So far, at 500$ this gen, consoles have had notebook-class GPUs and the equivalent to a 200$ AMD GPU, and that's before we get into power usage limitations.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm confused. Why would you reveal E3 2019 if you don't plan on launching until end of 2020. That goes against current trends massively.

Also I'm not sure I can deal with waiting until 2020 for Halo Infinite. God damn.

I'm actually really excited for Microsofts offerings but with everything coming to Windows 10. I have no reason to buy one and will probably be the first generation where I only go for a Sony console.

It's also worth thinking, that if Sony announce this year and launch early 2020 Microsoft want to make sure people like myself will hold out 6-9 months for considerably stronger hardware. I won't be buying two consoles in 2020 so I appreciate being able to weigh up the options.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Please do not put expensive storage drives as a default option, give the NVMe slot and let the user decide. You already have a limited budget of $400-$500, blow it on stuff that you're stuck with for the rest of the generation like CPU and GPU. I would gladly take $20 spinning drive with more powerful GPU and upgrade the drive myself later.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be willing to shell out the price of the X (maybe even a bit more) to have an insanely competitive console from the start, one that hopefully needs no mid-gen upgrade. SSD in particular sounds great.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
I seriously doubt they would lock Halo down to a launch title. After what they have said about taking the time to get the game right and reducing crunch.

Being a launch title means absolutely no wiggle room.

While that's true, they also mean a longer development than usual. No Halo this fall is 4 years, next fall is 5 years since Halo 5. So they are actually spending 5 years on a Halo title. Halo 4 to 5 was 3 years.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Streaming is the grim future that will bankrupt the industry. You can quote me on that in 10 years.

I say there is no way they can be having 8 cores in a SoC and a big GPU. AMD has said so far they will not use chiplet designs for APUs, which severely limits what can be achieved. If this changes by 2020, then sure, they have more flexibility.
But we'd have to see that. So far, at 500$ this gen, consoles have had notebook-class GPUs and the equivalent to a 200$ AMD GPU, and that's before we get into power usage limitations.
They used Jaguar this gen because AMD had no good alternatives. 7nm with Zen2 makes it possible.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn' be surprised that Microsoft goes and announces it's plans first, seeing that they were on stage for AMD's CES presentation this year. But i doubt we will see a lot, and doubt the specs are locked in if it's a late 2020 release.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
& GPU, but it depends on the game & the visuals, you can do 4K/60fps on DOOM 2016, doesn't mean you will do 4K/60 in the new Harry Potter RPG for Next Gen, most devs will target 30fps for more visuals.

But that's always the case. I think the X can run any PS3/Xbox360 game at 4k/60fps

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
not sure where you've been but it's almost certainly coming. 120gb ssd's can now be had by the consumer for $20, like a memory card price. So at the very absolute least it might make sense to do a SSD cache/mechanical HDD storage setup next gen.

then have you seen anthem? constant loading. something needs to be done on the loading speed side of the equation.

Again, 1TB SSD's seems impossible right now or next year, at an affordable (as in "HDD like") price. A few years from now (think 2021-2022 or thereabouts)? Sure.

Hybrid drives or two drives (one of them being a small-ish SSD) seems feasible, but that's not what the leak mentions.

Why? Last black friday you could get 1TB SSDs for near 2 digit figures. SSDs prices have crashed and they'll keep going down, I see SSDs becoming the standard next gen.

It's not that they won't become a standard (technically I'd say they already are in the PC side of things), it's that 1TB of them doesn't really seem feasible. Especially so the NVMe kind, which is what these leaks specifically mention.

52922844_2044109468977703_853256164576591872_o.jpg

I really dont' see how these wouldn't instantly add anywhere from $50 to $100 (I've no real idea on the margins used here tbh) to the price of a console launching in 2020 (on top of whatever new hardware it uses).

In terms of performance, this sort of hardware becoming the new base for games would be awesome though.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Hope at least the high end one has ray tracing, metro exodus made me a believer
I think Arthur Gies was mentioning on RebelFM he believes raytracing will be part of the next Xbox. Not sure if he was just speculating based on the fact that MS is doing raytracing sessions at DICE this year and AMD has also stated that they are working on raytracing hardware or if he had some insider knowledge though. It would also make sense as to why the TFlop count doesn't seem like a dramatic increase if they are dedicating some of the silicon to raytracing.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Again, 1TB SSD's seems impossible right now or next year, at an affordable (as in "HDD like") price. A few years from now (think 2021-2022 or thereabouts)? Sure.

Hybrid drives or two drives (one of them being a small-ish SSD) seems feasible, but that's not what the leak mentions.

It's not that they won't become a standard (technically I'd say they already are in the PC side of things), it's that 1TB of them doesn't really seem feasible. Especially so the NVMe kind, which is what these leaks specifically mention.

52922844_2044109468977703_853256164576591872_o.jpg

I really dont' see how these wouldn't instantly add anywhere from $50 to $100 (I've no real idea on the margins used here tbh) to the price of a console launching in 2020 (on top of whatever new hardware it uses).

In terms of performance, this sort of hardware becoming the new base for games would be awesome though.
I just hope there would be a way to expand the ssd size
If Sony goes this route with an entry level machine streaming only and a high end more expensive level machine local hardware, this will be the day I'll leave gaming.
The entry level machine is not a streaming box. It's a 1080p box, and the high end one is a 4K box IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Streaming is the grim future that will bankrupt the industry. You can quote me on that in 10 years.

They used Jaguar this gen because AMD had no good alternatives. 7nm with Zen2 makes it possible.
The biggest SoC in 14/16nm using Ryzen is the one in the Subor Z, it's larger than the Scorpio Engine while only having 24 GPU CUs compared to the 40 in the Scorpio Engine, due to the presence of only 4 Ryzen cores. Link
Given how expensive the 7nm node is, (Radeon VII is more expensive than the Vega 64 was two years ago, while having the same number of transistors) how large can they go? Now, sure, late 2020 is almost two years from now, but Moore's Law is more than dead, and let's not forget that the XBOX One X is one of the most power hungry consoles ever released at more than 180W at full tilt, and that, judging by Radeon VII, that 8 core, 12 TFLOP machine would be more like in the 300W+ range.

It all just sounds very unrealistic to me, 16nm to 7nm is a smaller change than 28nm to 16nm was, and people paint it like it's some miracle. Look at the base PS4 to the XBOX One X jump in GPU power, and that's while having the same CPU and on a bigger jump in node efficiency. Even accounting for Navi being a very decent jump in efficiency, and for the 7nm node getting cheaper, it sounds like a completely unrealistic jump to me.

Everybody was expecting 3TFLOP+ and i7-equivalent machines for the PS4 and the XBOX One, and there were many "rumors" pointing to that, even when the contemporary technology was clearly not ready for such performance. This is the same, once more. At 500$, all the new consoles can have is an equivalent to whatever 150W, 200$ GPU AMD releases, coupled with a notebook-class CPU.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't believe next-gen consoles will include an SSD. These things are way too expensive. I could see them maybe including a 7400RPM HDD of 1TB or so.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Those specs are concerning if at all accurate to reality. Finally people will stop decrying the mention of diminishing returns, I guess.

The use of SSDs is surprising though.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Sounds awful, what's the point of the cheaper model if it's like less powerful than the xbox one x.

They wanna go to streaming and digital so fast but it's probably gonna be a repeat of the xbone.

Nov 8, 2017
The cheap model including not just an SSD but the most expensive kind of SSD doesn't pass the sniff test, imo. I'm not going to believe that sort of thing unless it comes from some iron clad sources closer to launch. We're 12-18 months out right now.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
There is a clear table inside the article that you can understand even if you don't know french :)

But this: Disque dur SSD 1To NVMe 1+GB/s
Is not happening on a streaming device.
I don't think you will have a 1 TB NVMe drive in the more expensive one either. I have one of those in my work thinkpad and it increased the price by like $500.

i am pretty sure they won't pay retail and already have them in their supply chain for other products

ssd prices are dropping precipitously as well

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
The best news for me is Halo infinite as a launch title for Scarlett. So happy to see Halo in next gen glory after being so disappointed by Halo 5 ( graphics, story and level design ).

After the impact Breath of the Wild gave to the Nintendo Switch, I don't see how Microsoft and Sony would miss out on the opportunity of launching their next gen systems with their biggest franchses - Halo and the Last of Us.

Last edited:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Just get a second job.
lol! Alright, Ken. I got till next fall at least.

Fall 2020 gonna be a bloodbath. Especially if Nintendo also drops that Switch revision then too... And you know PS5 is gonna be around that time. Although I don't know that it'd be same day. Wild in retrospect that they ever did that shit in the past.

Forget E3 2019, let's get to June 2020 already.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
There is a bunch of rumors out there regarding the next Xbox that I am starting to think that a lot of these "leaks" are out there to throw the competition off as to what they are actually planning.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Please do not put expensive storage drives as a default option, give the NVMe slot and let the user decide. You already have a limited budget of $400-$500, blow it on stuff that you're stuck with for the rest of the generation like CPU and GPU. I would gladly take $20 spinning drive with more powerful GPU and upgrade the drive myself later.

This is where I'm at too, the majority of users won't be able to notice the loading time difference anyway. Let us upgrade if/when we want.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Navi 10 isn't a big GPU & will be in the $200 range, i don't think 7nm is as magical as some others think, but i can see a laptop variant ryzen 2 with no hyper threading & smaller cache etc being fit nicely in, doubt the SSD though, but like someone else said, they might put in a hybrid HDD with a 256-128GB SSD & be a bit sneaky & not mention the size.
Anyone thinking PS5/Next Box will have a Desktop 4ghz+ 8c/16t CPU need to be a bit more real though.

Deleted member 50761

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
The best news for me is Halo infinite as a launch title for Scarlett. So happy to see Halo in next gen glory after being so disappointed by Halo 5 ( graphics, story and level design ).

After the impact Breast of the Wild gave to the Nintendo Switch, I don't see how Microsoft and Sony would miss out on the opportunity of launching their next gen systems with their biggest franchses - Halo and the Last of Us.

Wait, what?

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
1TB ssd's aren't cheap though, not in a way that allows its use in products like these. Maybe in a few years, but not right now.

A quick search shows that 1TB ssd's still start at $130+.

depends on how fast the nvme device is. you can get non-max performance drives at1tb for 100, and the prices are dropping every minth

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I think I called it that the next gen Xbox gets revealed this year

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
hey dont compare this to PS3 launch! the PS3 had a blu ray drive that saved it, based off this article lockhart doesnt even have a disc drive to begin with.
A discless console has been a dream for me for ages now. Thank fuck we are possibly finally getting one.